Law BANS Somalilander women from marrying non-Somalilander men

Status
Not open for further replies.
If anything it says something about the status of women in Somaliland but being denied "citizenship" in Somaliland shouldn't cause an uproar, it should be ridiculed.

You and some other ppl in this thread do not understand Somali xeer, so this law will seem strange to you. You're looking at it with a Western lens with ur talk about 'status of women' and all that.

Cotton Eyed Joe

More law, less justice.
VIP
You and some other ppl in this thread do not understand Somali xeer, so this law will seem strange to you. You're looking at it with a Western lens with ur talk about 'status of women' and all that.
I'm speaking from a rational sense. There's no explaining it other than the demeaning of women in Somaliland. In fact, it shows that women in Somaliland have a much lower status in civil society than the rest of Somali communities. For children born to "foreign men" by Somaliland female to be denied citizenship is astonishing to me!

waraabe

Your superior
I'm speaking from a rational sense. There's no explaining it other than the demeaning of women in Somaliland. In fact, it shows that women in Somaliland have a much lower status in civil society than the rest of Somali communities. For children born to "foreign men" by Somaliland female to be denied citizenship is astonishing to me!

somali culture and punaniland culture are different sxb, stick to yours and we will stick to ours

Once again it's because u do not understand Xeer. I do not agree with it either, but it does not astonish nor surprise me, as it's a law that is perfectly in line with Somali Xeer.

Cotton Eyed Joe

More law, less justice.
VIP
Once again it's because u do not understand Xeer. I do not agree with it either, but it does not astonish nor surprise me, as it's a law that is perfectly in line with Somali Xeer.
You seem to be justifying this ridiculous act by citing xeer. I'm fully aware what xeer is. It's very weird for it to have such an impact on Somaliland law even to the extent that mothers and daughters would be placed in such awkward old-fashioned misogynistic environment. I really hope as a citizen of a neighboring country, Somaliland really steps it up.

You seem to be justifying this ridiculous act by citing xeer. I'm fully aware what xeer is. It's very weird for it to have such an impact on Somaliland law even to the extent that mothers and daughters would be placed in such awkward old-fashioned misogynistic environment. I really hope as a citizen of a neighboring country, Somaliland really steps it up.

I'm not justifying it, but u saying u were astonished by this is like someone saying they are astonished that two clans could possibly shed blood over a water well. Yeah of course nomads killing each other is sad and wrong, but only someone ignorant of the Somali way of life would be astonished by it. Somaliland is a clan-based entity, so it makes sense they will use xeer to determine who is a Somalilander and who isn't. Somali xeer holds that the child is what ever the father is. As for the wife, since she will become more loyal to her children's clan than her own, she loses her former identity and is regarded as loyal to her husband and children's clan, which is where the logic of stripping her of citizenship comes from. But I do agree with u that it's not right.

MadNomad

As i live and breathe
Somalis from other clans can't have SL citizenship because they will vote against the interests of the majority/natives? Where have i heard this before? Oh yeah, from whites in Europe and America regarding non white immigration, but of course they are called racist for it. :chrisfreshhah:

Why the outrage? Somalia also bars foreign men married to Somali women from getting citizenship. So does Djibouti.

The difference is Somalia doesn't regard ethnic Somalis as foreigners regardless of where they're originally from. Im pretty sure any and all Somalis can become citizens. Foreigners are non-Somalis not other Somali clans.

Although I agree I don't see whats surprising about this.

Somalia bars Somalis in the north from marrying Somalis in the south?

The difference is Somalia doesn't regard ethnic Somalis as foreigners regardless of where they're originally from. Im pretty sure any and all Somalis can become citizens.

Although I agree I don't see whats surprising about this.

Of course not, because they claim we're still "one", they have no choice but to continue that policy.

Somaliland doesn't. We see you as foreign as a Zulu from Koonfurta afrika.

MadNomad

As i live and breathe
Of course not, because they claim we're still "one", they have no choice but to continue that policy.

Somaliland doesn't. We see you as foreign as a Zulu from Koonfurta afrika.

Wanting your own country is one thing, but completely disregarding ethnic and cultural ties is next level cuqdad. :mjlol:

The difference is Somalia doesn't regard ethnic Somalis as foreigners regardless of where they're originally from. Im pretty sure any and all Somalis can become citizens.

You're right, Somalia is the only Somali region where all ethnic Somalis are considered citizens. Clan is a criteria for obtaining Djiboutian and Somalilander citizenship and DDSI and NFD identity cards.

Yes because its a clan state and Somalia is an ethnic state. :manny:

Not anymore. The handover of the ONLF fighter proves that. Somalis from 'proper' Somalia are not considered Somali

citizens.

When the constitution is officially approved it will reflect that change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts