Law BANS Somalilander women from marrying non-Somalilander men

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unbelievable...

giphy.gif

Petty to another level.

Puntland should block their asses from getting any passport admin work completed in Garowe.

Unbelievable...

giphy.gif

Petty to another level.

Puntland should block their asses from getting any passport admin work completed in Garowe.

Sxb, Duchess is being sensationalist with that title. Reer waqooyi women can marry a man from any clan and many do, some even from my own family, and they live in Hargaysa. The law says that such men will not become Somaliland citizens. This is a way to prevent non-Somaliland clans from gaining political power though voting or running in elections, and it was a law that was always there, it's not new. I don't agree with it, but it's not as crazy as Somalilander women being banned from marrying non-Somalilander men as the title says.

Sxb, Duchess is being sensationalist with that title. Reer waqooyi women can marry a man from any clan and many do, some even from my own family, and they live in Hargaysa. The law says that such men will not become Somaliland citizens. This is a way to prevent non-Somaliland clans from gaining political power though voting or running in elections, and it was a law that was always there, it's not new. I don't agree with it, but it's not as crazy as Somalilander women being banned from marrying non-Somalilander men as the title says.

But the guy says the the Somaliland woman, and her offspring, would lose their citizenship also, no?

That's the part I have an issue with.

fox

31/12/16 - 04/04/20
VIP
great news! we cant have mini @Bohols running around. somaliland's diaspora should abide by this law as well.
My Harti Sister has no Chill xx
so youre a early bird? ma ciyaalkii baa ku kiciyay?
do you shake your bum whilst you type?

But the guy says the the Somaliland woman would lose her citizenship also, no?

Yeah, because Somaliland is a clan entity, and women usually switch their loyalties to their children's clan after marriage. So she can't be trusted to work in the interests of Somaliland. That's their logic im assuming lol.

Your title and what is stated in the video do not match.

You either didn't watch the video or you are a lier just like the person who
Came up with the Youtube title.

No law bans a Somaliland woman from marrying a Muslim man. (Must emphasise the Muslim part seeing as you are a MJ after all)

The children of Reer Somaliland women are NOT entitled to SL citizenship if they
marry a Non-Lander.

This law is not new either - It dates back to 2002 with the concept behind it originating in Somali Xeer
which has a direct relevance to SL law.

Yeah, because Somaliland is a clan entity, and women usually switch their loyalties to their children's clan after marriage. So she can't be trusted to work in the interests of Somaliland. That's their logic im assuming lol.

So Somaliland can technically lose large sections of their population depending on Clan alignments/clan politics, correct?

If Somaliland was populated by a single clan, this law would make perfect sense. But a multi-clan alliance can't pull crap like this. What if all Dhulbahantes decided to revolt and switch completely to Puntland/Somalia (very unlikely)?

Democratic state building using Clan rules.

This is really petty yaakhey.

So Somaliland can technically lose large sections of their population depending on Clan alignments/clan politics, correct?

If Somaliland was populated by a single clan, this law would make perfect sense. But a multi-clan alliance can't pull crap like this. What if all Dhulbahantes decided to revolt and switch completely to Puntland/Somalia (very unlikely)?

Democratic state building using Clan rules.

This is really petty yaakhey.

Sxb, the whole thing is a clan project so of course it's petty. I'm just saying it's not as petty as the title suggests. Somalilander women are free to marry any Somali from any clan, and they and their husbands and children can live anywhere in Somaliland. They just can't get involved in politics.

Sxb, the whole thing is a clan project so of course it's petty. I'm just saying it's not as petty as the title suggests. Somalilander women are free to marry any Somali from any clan, and they and their husbands and children can live anywhere in Somaliland. They just can't get involved in politics.

Fair enough, my first comment was an overreaction.

It's 7am over here, no breakfast yet, and I was pulled in my Duchess' MJ sorcery.

Salaamullah.

Then why are Somalized Oromo clans like Jarso and Akisho allowed to vote?
All clans or sections of clans or the decendents of individuals present within the borders of SL in 1960
are entitled to citizenship.

Sections of the Jaarso and Akisho have been present in SL for decades since before independence.

Then why are Somalized Oromo clans like Jarso and Akisho allowed to vote?

Jaarso are not allowed to vote. Akisho are because they were living in Somaliland before 1960. Any clan who has been residing in Somaliland before 1960, when it was a British Protectorate, is considered indigenous and thus any member of such a clan is automatically a Somaliland citizen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending