Law BANS Somalilander women from marrying non-Somalilander men

Status
Not open for further replies.

World

VIP
Jaarso are not allowed to vote. Akisho are because they were living in Somaliland before 1960. Any clan who has been residing in Somaliland before 1960, when it was a British Protectorate, is considered indigenous and thus any member of such a clan is automatically a Somaliland citizen.
Basically Oromo speaking Ethiopians are allowed to vote in Somaliland Lol. Yet a women who marries outside her clan can't.

World

VIP
lool yes, but u have to understand the Akisho have become fully Somalized. They do not have any remnants of their Oromo identity, whether in language or dhaqan.
Bro, I follow an Akisho chick on Twitter. I asked her if she's Somali, and she said that she considers herself Oromo and so does her entire family. She's not even from the Somali region of Ethiopia.

Bro, I follow an Akisho chick on Twitter. I asked her if she's Somali, and she said that she considers herself Oromo and so does her entire family. She's not even from the Somali region of Ethiopia.

So she's an Akisho from Sland? She's right to claim her Oromo heritage. Somalinimo is an ethnicity based on common descent and/or blood ties, not merely on language, religion and culture. Good for her for keeping it real. A lot of Cad Cads keep it real too, but some Somalis get upset when they don't wanna claim us. These same Somalis get upset when Somali bantus wanna claim us. Very weird and unfortunate.

World

VIP
So she's an Akisho from Sland? She's right to claim her Oromo heritage. Somalinimo is an ethnicity based on common descent and/or blood ties, not merely on language, religion and culture.
Nah she's from Oromia. It's beyond me how a clan that is majority Oromo and is trying to annex Somali villages can be part of Somaliland's guurto and be a "native clan".

Clans like Isaaq who hardly intermarry with clans outside of the border won't be affected that much, but the Warsangeli's and Dhulbahante's who intermarry with Majerteen, Ogaden, other Darood's will.

Nah she's from Oromia. It's beyond me how a clan that is majority Oromo and is trying to annex Somali villages can be part of Somaliland's guurto and be a "native clan".

lol, Yeah. They've done such a good job of becoming Somalized that's why. It's like the Cad Cad of the south. They're not ethnically Somali but they still have political representation.

You are assuming all Jaarso and all Akisho have become Somalised. They have not.

The ones that have and have been present within SL's border since before 1960 have an entitlement to citizenship.

World

VIP
You are assuming all Jaarso and all Akisho have become Somalised. They have not.

The ones that have and have been present within SL's border since before 1960 have an entitlement to citizenship.
So a HJ who was born in Ethiopia, his father born in Ethiopia and his grandfather born in Ethiopia are entitled to a Somaliland citizenship, but Akisho clan members who were born in Ethiopia are not entitled to Somaliland citizenship? That's clear bias since both clans are native to Somaliland right?

So a HY who was born in Ethiopia, his father born in Ethiopia and his grandfather born in Ethiopia are entitled to a Somaliland citizenship, but Akisho clan members who were born in Ethiopia are not entitled to Somaliland citizenship? That's clear clan bias.
Somali clans are nomadic. We have a loose association with a piece of territory but by tradition we do not call
a specific place home.
A HY individual may have been born in what is now claimed by Ethiopia but he would have spent half his life in SL.
More to the point it does not matter where he was born - Only that he is HY and his people/ancestors were present before 1960.

You did not pay attention.

Clans who originate in SL have rights to SL citizenship - This is by convention means all Isaaq, Ciise Samaroon, Dhulbahanta and Warsangeli.

Sections of clans who originate also have citizenship.

The decendants of individuals who were present in SL in 1960 have rights to it aswell. This can include other Somali clans or Ajanabi folk.

Our citizenship is decided by blood and by birth/being decendents of individuals who were born there before 1960 but don't have blood ties.

One final point - Not that it should add anything. The Hawd was not part of Ethiopia until 1954. The decision by the British is what made the people be blinded by nationalism and give up their independence to unite with the Italian colony.

If a SL male divorce his Non-Lander female before Tabriibing the children and mother retain state identity. When a SL male tabriibs and doesn’t divorce the Non-Lander Female she and her children will lose state identity.

Last edited:

Duchess

HRH Duchess of Puntland, The Viscount of Garoowe
VIP
Your title and what is stated in the video do not match.

You either didn't watch the video or you are a lier just like the person who
Came up with the Youtube title.

No law bans a Somaliland woman from marrying a Muslim man. (Must emphasise the Muslim part seeing as you are a MJ after all)

The children of Reer Somaliland women are NOT entitled to SL citizenship if they
marry a Non-Lander.

This law is not new either - It dates back to 2002 with the concept behind it originating in Somali Xeer
which has a direct relevance to SL law.

I will update the title to remove the word new, but the video clearly states that any Somalilander woman who marries a non-Somalilander whether he is Somali from Somalia or Muslim, loses her rights to claim Somaliland citizenship. She can marry who she wishes but she will no longer be a Somalilander. If that isn't a ban, I don't know what is.

SomaliWadaniSoldier

Weeping for the Nation of 68
Interahamwe
VIP
This rule is against hawiye and darood kkkkk:mjlol:

Beesha Gunter and Beesha Tigray are free to penetrate through maamulka Siilland and still the women wont lose their nationality of siillanderism:gucciwhat:

Now i understand why Cushitic keeps rejecting my proposals. She doesnt want to become stateless.

31-shaq-face-shaq-gifs.gif

Last edited:

Clans like Isaaq who hardly intermarry with clans outside of the border won't be affected that much, but the Warsangeli's and Dhulbahante's who intermarry with Majerteen, Ogaden, other Darood's will.

The Garxajis intermarry with the Ogaadeen just as much as the Dhulbahante do. But the Dhulbahante intermarry more with the Majeerteen than we do of course because they share a border, even though for some reason they don't intermarry with them as much as their long border would suggest.

In a survey of 89 marriages contracted by Dhulbahante men, Dr Lewis found the following statistical facts:

55 (62 per cent) were with women of Dulbahante primary lineages other than those of their husbands; 30 (33.7 per cent.) with surrounding clans of other clan families (with the Habar Yuunis, 10; Habar Tol Jaelo, 18; and Hawiye, 3); and 3 (4.3 per cent.) with other clans of the Daarood clan-family (Majeerteen, 2; Ogaadeen, 1).

Duchess

VIP
Sxb, Duchess is being sensationalist with that title. Reer waqooyi women can marry a man from any clan and many do, some even from my own family, and they live in Hargaysa. The law says that such men will not become Somaliland citizens. This is a way to prevent non-Somaliland clans from gaining political power though voting or running in elections, and it was a law that was always there, it's not new. I don't agree with it, but it's not as crazy as Somalilander women being banned from marrying non-Somalilander men as the title says.

How is the title sensationalist? The women from your family and those who lives in Hargeisa are, according to this law, no longer Somalilanders. A Somalilander woman can not marry a non-Somalilander without being stripped of her nationality.

How is the title sensationalist? The women from your family and those who lives in Hargeisa are, according to this law, no longer Somalilanders. A Somalilander woman can not marry a non-Somalilander without being stripped of her nationality.

Yes, but it's not a ban. There's a difference.

Duchess

VIP
Yes, but it's not a ban. There's a difference.

It's the very definition of a ban. Somalilander women are prohibited from marry non-Somalilander men and if they break this law, they will be stripped of their citizenship.

noun
noun: ban; plural noun: bans
  1. an official or legal prohibition.
    "a proposed ban on cigarette advertising"
    synonyms: prohibition, veto, proscription, embargo, bar, suppression, stoppage, interdict, interdiction, moratorium, injunction
    "a ban on soliciting"
    • an official exclusion of a person from an organization, country, or activity.
      "a proposed ban on foreign correspondents was condemned by international leaders"
      synonyms: exclusion, banishment, expulsion, ejection, eviction, removal
      "a ban from international competition"

Duchess

VIP
By the way, I haven't said that I disagree with this law. I found it interesting and wonder if anything similar exists in Somalia. I've only heard of this in resource rich nations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending