Law BANS Somalilander women from marrying non-Somalilander men

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's the very definition of a ban. Somalilander women are prohibited from marry non-Somalilander men and if they break this law, they will be stripped of their citizenship.

noun
noun: ban; plural noun: bans
  1. an official or legal prohibition.
    "a proposed ban on cigarette advertising"
    synonyms: prohibition, veto, proscription, embargo, bar, suppression, stoppage, interdict, interdiction, moratorium, injunction
    "a ban on soliciting"
    • an official exclusion of a person from an organization, country, or activity.
      "a proposed ban on foreign correspondents was condemned by international leaders"
      synonyms: exclusion, banishment, expulsion, ejection, eviction, removal
      "a ban from international competition"
To me a marriage ban means the law will not recognise a marriage.

If a woman from SL marries a non-Lander, her marriage will be recognised and her children will be legitimate.
They just won't be Landers.

And who said anything about citizenship being stripped from her - If that is the case, that is harsh. But I highly doubt that is the case.

Case in point -That Foosiya lady who is/was married to a Hawiye man and had children by him.
Before she defected to Somalia, she had a political party which failed in the SL local elections of 2012.

If she was not a SL citizen - She would have been barred from voting let alone leading a party.

Last edited:
By the way - I also do not agree with this law.

I'm of the opinion that laws should not be made against things which would make a free Somali Muslim woman
reconsider a marriage proposal from people she has a right to marry i.e. Muslim men.

World

VIP
The Garxajis intermarry with the Ogaadeen just as much as the Dhulbahante do. But the Dhulbahante intermarry more with the Majeerteen than we do of course because they share a border, even though for some reason they don't intermarry with them as much as their long border would suggest.

In a survey of 89 marriages contracted by Dhulbahante men, Dr Lewis found the following statistical facts:

55 (62 per cent) were with women of Dulbahante primary lineages other than those of their husbands; 30 (33.7 per cent.) with surrounding clans of other clan families (with the Habar Yuunis, 10; Habar Tol Jaelo, 18; and Hawiye, 3); and 3 (4.3 per cent.) with other clans of the Daarood clan-family (Majeerteen, 2; Ogaadeen, 1).
Lewis most likely surveyed Naleye Ahmed or Jamac Siyaad. Those two clans border HY/HJ and Fiqishini(Hawiye) live with Naleye Ahmed in Adhicadeye. Plus the fact that 89 marriages is not a large sample size. Not really representive of Dhulbahante who had a population of 100,000 in the early 20th century. If he had surveyed Reer Hawd, you would find that they marry mostly Majerteen, Ogaden, Marehan, Leelkase. My sub clan for example (Xamud Ugaas) intermarry mostly with Cusmaan Mahmoud (Majerteen).

Last edited:
By the way - I also do not agree with this law.

I'm of the opinion that laws should not be made against things which would make a free Somali Muslim woman
reconsider a marriage proposal from people she has a right to marry i.e. Muslim men.

If the world won’t recognize you, why turn around and not recognize your citizens?

This would make sense post recognition or only to increase electoral votes.

Either way it’s been an interesting week for the Somali Peninsula.

If the world won’t recognize you, why turn around and not recognize your citizens?

This would make sense post recognition or only to increase electoral votes.

Either way it’s been an interesting week for the Somali Peninsula.
A disingenuous reply.

You conflate a couple of issues/points and you outright makeup a point and you know damn well we are a clan-based society.

Either reply properly or hold your tongue.

Lewis most likely surveyed Naleye Ahmed or Jamac Siyaad. Those two clans border HY/HJ and Fiqishini(Hawiye) live with Naleye Ahmed in Adhicadeye. Plus the fact that 89 marriages is not a large sample size. Not really representive of Dhulbahante who had a population of 100,000 in the early 20th century. If he had surveyed Reer Hawd, you would find that they marry mostly Majerteen, Ogaden, Marehan, Leelkase. My sub clan for example (Xamud Ugaas) intermarry mostly with CM (Majerteen).

The article says the following "the sample of this survey was limited however to Dhulbahante lineages living in the Buuhoodle district within the British protectorate borders. It doesnt take into account the most easterly Dhulbahante lineages such as the Ugaasyo, Qayaad, Baharasame, Nuur Axmed, sections of the Naaleeye Axmed and many others whose primary marital relationships are formed with other Dhulbahante or with other Daarood tribes such as the Majeerteen, Mareexaan or Ogaadeen"

So I see your point, even though reer Buuhoodle are considered reer hawd.

Sxb, Duchess is being sensationalist with that title. Reer waqooyi women can marry a man from any clan and many do, some even from my own family, and they live in Hargaysa. The law says that such men will not become Somaliland citizens. This is a way to prevent non-Somaliland clans from gaining political power though voting or running in elections, and it was a law that was always there, it's not new. I don't agree with it, but it's not as crazy as Somalilander women being banned from marrying non-Somalilander men as the title says.
Don't get me Involved you HJ

A disingenuous reply.

You conflate a couple of issues/points and you outright makeup a point and you know damn well we are a clan-based society.

Either reply properly or hold your tongue.

Just think about it.

It’s not only clan based it’s misinformation based and illiterate maskiins across other gobols will react with only sensation.

I’m not from Somaliland, but I have Friends married to SL women; things like this should be supported post independence.

The Garxajis intermarry with the Ogaadeen just as much as the Dhulbahante do. But the Dhulbahante intermarry more with the Majeerteen than we do of course because they share a border, even though for some reason they don't intermarry with them as much as their long border would suggest.

In a survey of 89 marriages contracted by Dhulbahante men, Dr Lewis found the following statistical facts:

55 (62 per cent) were with women of Dulbahante primary lineages other than those of their husbands; 30 (33.7 per cent.) with surrounding clans of other clan families (with the Habar Yuunis, 10; Habar Tol Jaelo, 18; and Hawiye, 3); and 3 (4.3 per cent.) with other clans of the Daarood clan-family (Majeerteen, 2; Ogaadeen, 1).
This study was done solely in Buhoodle district and Ethiopia
Lewis most likely surveyed Naleye Ahmed or Jamac Siyaad. Those two clans border HY/HJ and Fiqishini(Hawiye) live with Naleye Ahmed in Adhicadeye. Plus the fact that 89 marriages is not a large sample size. Not really representive of Dhulbahante who had a population of 100,000 in the early 20th century. If he had surveyed Reer Hawd, you would find that they marry mostly Majerteen, Ogaden, Marehan, Leelkase. My sub clan for example (Xamud Ugaas) intermarry mostly with Cusmaan Mahmoud (Majerteen).
He survey the clans living in Buhoodle district and those who spill of into Ethiopia
He studied jamac siyaad,ali geri,barked,wacays aden,reer hagar and groups like yahye hayaag basically buhoodle district

World

VIP
This study was done solely in Buhoodle district and Ethiopia

He survey the clans living in Buhoodle district and those who spill of into Ethiopia
He studied jamac siyaad,ali geri,barked,wacays aden,reer hagar and groups like yahye hayaag basically buhoodle district
Yh but since when did Reer Buuhoodle marry HY? They don’t even border each other so it’s surprising to see the high intermarriage between them. That’s why I didn’t think it was them that were surveyed.

Yh but since when did Reer Buuhoodle marry HY? They don’t even border each other so it’s surprising to see the high intermarriage between them. That’s why I didn’t think it was them that were surveyed.

They do, in the hawd beyond the Somaliland border.

Yh but since when did Reer Buuhoodle marry HY? They don’t even border each other so it’s surprising to see the high intermarriage between them.
Hy live in southeastern aynabo which isn't far away from buhoodle district borders+they border each other in Ethiopia nalaye ahmed in Lascanood district dont border hy they border jamac siyaad who borders hy they only start bordering in xudun but they never mixed there to begin with sanaag is where they use to mix with

The article says the following "the sample of this survey was limited however to Dhulbahante lineages living in the Buuhoodle district within the British protectorate borders. It doesnt take into account the most easterly Dhulbahante lineages such as the Ugaasyo, Qayaad, Baharasame, Nuur Axmed, sections of the Naaleeye Axmed and many others whose primary marital relationships are formed with other Dhulbahante or with other Daarood tribes such as the Majeerteen, Mareexaan or Ogaadeen"

So I see your point, even though reer Buuhoodle are considered reer hawd.
None of those groups are eastern

World

VIP
They do, in the hawd beyond the Somaliland border.
If I’m not mistaken, the HY in Hawd are only seasonal since there is no permanent water resources on their side of the Hawd. So they are only in Hawd during the raining season. However, Reer Hawd Dhulbahante, Marehan, Leelkase and Ogaden all share the same wells in Ethiopia during the dry season. The survey therefore isn’t that representive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts