Why is Islam so bad to women and why do Islamic laws treat them more as property than a person?

Are women equal under Islam?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
https://islamqa.info/en/70042

Praise be to Allah

To conclude: Islam raised the status of women, and made them equal with men in most rulings. So women, like men, are commanded to believe in Allaah and to worship Him. And women are made equal to men in terms of reward in the Hereafter. Women have the right to express themselves, to give sincere advice, to enjoin what is good and forbid what is evil, and to call people to Allaah. Women have the right to own property, to buy and sell, to inherit, to give charity and to give gifts. It is not permissible for anyone to take a woman’s wealth without her consent. Women have the right to a decent life, without facing aggression or being wronged. Women have the right to be educated; in fact it is obligatory to teach them what they need to know about their religion.

Anyone who compares the rights of women in Islam with their situation during the Jaahiliyyah (pre-Islamic days of ignorance)or in other civilizations will understand that what we are saying is true. In fact we are certain that women are given the greatest honour in Islam.

There is no need for us to mention the situation of women in Greek, Persian or Jewish society, but even Christian societies had a bad attitude towards women. The theologians even gathered at the Council of Macon to discuss whether a woman was merely a body or a body with a soul. They thought it most likely that women did not have a soul that could be saved, and they made an exception only in the case of Mary (Maryam – peace be upon her).

The French held a conference in 586 CE to discuss whether women had souls or not, and if they had souls, were these souls animal or human? In the end, they decided that they were human! But they were created to serve men only.

During the time of Henry VIII, the English Parliament issued a decree forbidding women to read the New Testament because they were regarded as impure.

Until 1805, English law allowed a man to sell his wife, and set a wife’s price at six pennies.

In the modern age, women were kicked out of the house at the age of eighteen so that they could start working to earn a bite to eat. If a woman wanted to stay in the house, she had to pay her parents rent for her room and pay for her food and laundry.

See ‘Awdat al-Hijaab, 2/47-56.

How can this compare to Islam which enjoins honouring and kind treatment of women, and spending on them?

Secondly:

With regard to the changes in these rights throughout the ages, the basic principles have not changed, but with regard to the application of these principles, there can be no doubt that during the golden age of Islam, the Muslims applied the sharee’ah (Islamic law) of their Lord more, and the rulings of this sharee’ah include honouring one’s mother and treating one’s wife, daughter, sister and women in general in a kind manner. The weaker religious commitment grew, the more these rights were neglected, but until the Day of Resurrection there will continue to be a group who adheres to their religion and applies the sharee’ah (laws) of their Lord. These are the people who honour women the most and grant them their rights.

Despite the weakness of religious commitment among many Muslims nowadays, women still enjoy a high status, whether as daughters, wives or sisters, whilst we acknowledge that there are shortcomings, wrongdoing and neglect of women’s rights among some people, but each one will be answerable for himself.
That Wahabbi site is precisely the reason for women's oppression.

You can make the same point without linking to satanic web pages like that.

defensive islamists make my day,think it hilarious. how they run long paragraphs against the slightest truth thrown at thm.

It’s funny to see that all the important figures in Islam, Christianity and Judaism are all males.

That speaks for itself. Why couldn’t there have been a woman as a prophet?
Just shows that it is a man made religion :manny:

It’s funny to see that all the important figures in Islam, Christianity and Judaism are all males.

That speaks for itself. Why couldn’t there have been a woman as a prophet?
Just shows that it is a man made religion :manny:
Use your mind man. would anyone take a woman seriously even today nobody takes them seriously btw aren't you muslim?

cambuulo shake

Ar Wakanda ii geeya
That Wahabbi site is precisely the reason for women's oppression.

You can make the same point without linking to satanic web pages like that.
i should say i only go on that site when i want to see what scholars have to say.
Im not religious myself but OP's question is one i think about alot.
Do you BW think a women is fit for fighting in a war ?
Would you feel safe with her protecting you and the country ?
Do men and women react the same to trauma/seeing someone die infront of them ?

SH. BW i need answers

Islam provides justice for men and women. There is no devaluation of women in Islam, and why should they be, they are a pillar of our society.

If they are such a pillar why are some of the lowest ranked countries for women Islamic majority countries. What is about Islam and islamic culture that makes women unsafe, unhappy (Afghanistan ranks lowest and has the only world's only higher female suicide level) and unlivable? :mahubowtf:

You're PSA didn't speak to that :samwelcome:

i should say i only go on that site when i want to see what scholars have to say.
Im not religious myself but OP's question is one i think about alot.
Do you BW think a women is fit for fighting in a war ?
Would you feel safe with her protecting you and the country ?
Do men and women react the same to trauma/seeing someone die infront of them ?

SH. BW i need answers
Depends. I think if you hate your wife and don't want to put her through the shame of divorce, then send her to the front line. Make a martyr of that . That way, you kill two birds with one stone: her shahiid status will get you free admission into Paradise, no questions asked, and you get to pull the moves on her curvy sister.

If all is good in the marital union though, best to let the boys get butchered.

That site is not run by scholars. It's run by Saudi vermin.

Last edited:

Merchant of Mogadishu

From Pella to Pattala, then back to Babylon
If they are such a pillar why are some of the lowest ranked countries for women Islamic majority countries. What is about Islam and islamic culture that makes women unsafe, unhappy (Afghanistan ranks lowest and has the only world's only higher female suicide level) and unlivable? :mahubowtf:

You're PSA didn't speak to that :samwelcome:

Culture and the abandonment of righteousness.

Basra

LOVE is a product of Doqoniimo mixed with lust
Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
https://islamqa.info/en/70042

Praise be to Allah

To conclude: Islam raised the status of women, and made them equal with men in most rulings. So women, like men, are commanded to believe in Allaah and to worship Him. And women are made equal to men in terms of reward in the Hereafter. Women have the right to express themselves, to give sincere advice, to enjoin what is good and forbid what is evil, and to call people to Allaah. Women have the right to own property, to buy and sell, to inherit, to give charity and to give gifts. It is not permissible for anyone to take a woman’s wealth without her consent. Women have the right to a decent life, without facing aggression or being wronged. Women have the right to be educated; in fact it is obligatory to teach them what they need to know about their religion.

Anyone who compares the rights of women in Islam with their situation during the Jaahiliyyah (pre-Islamic days of ignorance)or in other civilizations will understand that what we are saying is true. In fact we are certain that women are given the greatest honour in Islam.

There is no need for us to mention the situation of women in Greek, Persian or Jewish society, but even Christian societies had a bad attitude towards women. The theologians even gathered at the Council of Macon to discuss whether a woman was merely a body or a body with a soul. They thought it most likely that women did not have a soul that could be saved, and they made an exception only in the case of Mary (Maryam – peace be upon her).

The French held a conference in 586 CE to discuss whether women had souls or not, and if they had souls, were these souls animal or human? In the end, they decided that they were human! But they were created to serve men only.

During the time of Henry VIII, the English Parliament issued a decree forbidding women to read the New Testament because they were regarded as impure.

Until 1805, English law allowed a man to sell his wife, and set a wife’s price at six pennies.

In the modern age, women were kicked out of the house at the age of eighteen so that they could start working to earn a bite to eat. If a woman wanted to stay in the house, she had to pay her parents rent for her room and pay for her food and laundry.

See ‘Awdat al-Hijaab, 2/47-56.

How can this compare to Islam which enjoins honouring and kind treatment of women, and spending on them?

Secondly:

With regard to the changes in these rights throughout the ages, the basic principles have not changed, but with regard to the application of these principles, there can be no doubt that during the golden age of Islam, the Muslims applied the sharee’ah (Islamic law) of their Lord more, and the rulings of this sharee’ah include honouring one’s mother and treating one’s wife, daughter, sister and women in general in a kind manner. The weaker religious commitment grew, the more these rights were neglected, but until the Day of Resurrection there will continue to be a group who adheres to their religion and applies the sharee’ah (laws) of their Lord. These are the people who honour women the most and grant them their rights.

Despite the weakness of religious commitment among many Muslims nowadays, women still enjoy a high status, whether as daughters, wives or sisters, whilst we acknowledge that there are shortcomings, wrongdoing and neglect of women’s rights among some people, but each one will be answerable for himself.

Excellent well put rebuttal

But yet again going back to my original theory, as long as women follow certain restriction governed by their biological make up. Here is what Quran says

And the male is not like the female[5]"

and therefore can be particularly insightful when the objective is to highlight differences between men and women. Some of these differences might be biological while others are rather cultural connotations related to social conventions which reinforce social cleavage between males and females and justify for a different social role and status for both of them. This verse, which relates the story of the wife of Imran’s vow to dedicate her child to the service of God describes how the events developed as she gave birth to a female baby; instead of the male she was expecting; especially that only males could undertake this honorable role according to the community customs.

A reading of “walaysa alththakaru kaalontha” in various commentaries of the Qur’an, in addition to some references which report stories of prophets, may enable a better understanding of the differences between males and females as depicted in this verse, with focus on whether it is related to social identity or essence. Commentaries of this verse reveal a juxtaposition-opposition of some of the essential characteristics of the feminine related to biology and other social conventions which determine a person’s behavior, possibilities of action and social status.

These two verses tell the story of the wife of Imrān.[7] Most of Qur’an commentaries provided an analysis for this part of the verse, trying to clarify the position of Maryam, as a female, with regard to the role her mother had dedicated her for. The recurring explanation is that Maryam was in the impossibility to fulfill the task she was dedicated for as a servant in the temple of Jerusalem, being a female. Most of commentaries provided justifications for the female new born baby’s inadequacy to the role she was vowed for, some of which are but social conventions. A sociological analysis of the circumstances and social environment in which this story took place can help rethink the differences between males and females and get some answers from the Islamic register to this question at the core of the debate in the sociology of gender research field.

“And the male is not like the female” in commentaries of the Qur’an
Verse 36 of Surat Al-Imran understudy comes within a number of verses which relate the story of the wife of Imrān who, in a vow of thankfulness, promised to dedicate her yet to be born son, mūharraran, means free from earthly life concerns, devoted, to the worship of Allah and service of the Holy House. It was a custom in most families, during that time, to give one of their sons over to the baytū-Allah-Alharām in Jerusalem for service[8]. Daughters were not suitable to take this responsibility, that’s why, when unexpectedly she gave birth to a female baby, she felt perplex that her child couldn’t fulfill her promise to Allah.

The Qur’an says:

Behold a woman of Imran said: O my lord I do dedicate unto thee what is in my womb for thy special service: so do accept this of me: for Thou hearest and knowest all things

Also

When she was delivered, she said: O my lord behold I am delivered of a female child and Allah knew best what she brought forth and no wise is the male like the female. I have named her Mary, and I commend her and her offspring to thy protection from the Evil one, the rejected[9]

In other translations of the meaning of the Qu’ran, the verse under focus has been translated as following:

And the male is not like the female[10]; the male is not as the female[11]; And no wise is the male like the female[12]

Exegetes of the Qur’an commented on this verse trying to shed light on the reasons why a female couldn’t take the position of servant in baytū-Allah-Alharām and stressed on the fact that females, having to undergo menses and postpartum periods, cannot be present all the time in the sanctuary[13]. Furthermore, being awra[14], women cannot stand contact with people (implicitly men) because they could be subject to all sorts of prejudices either to their moral reputation or substantial physical harm, mainly in a place where they could be seen by everybody.[15]Finally, women are weaker, in bodily terms, in comparison to men and consequently will not be able to fulfill this mission in the same way a man would[16]. However, Al-Razī stresses on the fact that the first obstacle to name, facing Maryam, was that only sons were dedicated to the sanctuary. He adds that the wife of Imran’s vow, implicitly, was an invocation to have a male offspring or a personal predisposition to have a son because by no means could a female undertake this role[17].

BetterAkhlaq

Snicker la'an
Better

If not for Hadith, u wont have the "Akhlaq" u have now. Most of our moral practice is derived from Hadith. Sahih or not
Actually hadiths are basically the scholars understanding of certain parts of the Quran meaning that this is included in the Quran.

Hadiths aren't necessary for muslims, if you feel like you need hadiths then good for you. But for me, I focus on the Quran, to form my own understanding of it.
That is worrisome. :farole:
Anyways, as said before, most of things you are mentioning are in the hadiths, primarily ones 300 years after the prophets death (pbh)
As a muslim you don't need to follow the hadiths.

Basra

LOVE is a product of Doqoniimo mixed with lust
Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
Akhlaaq

I was like u when i started learning more about Islam. I was overwhelmed with thousands of Hadiths. I did what came to me easily - trust Quran. But there is no harm in being knowledgeable in hadith!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending