Falling in love against all odds - Couple from East & West Africa

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's this reality show on CBC called, "Hello, Goodbye" it takes place at the airport and different families/couples are interviewed about their stories.

In the clip below, the guy is from East Africa (I guessed Kenya/Rwanda but not sure ) and the young woman is from Ivory Coast. The guy's mother is against their relationship and wants him to be with an East African (I'm assuming from the same country).

He starts crying somewhere in the video if that gives you incentive to watch.

VixR

Veritas
I hope they work out.
She has such a cute accent.

But.... what's the big deal? :ftw9nwa: I'm sure his mom would prefer her over a white or non African.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
A lot of Africans are like that. There are tensions between the major ethnic groups in most countries. A girl on the other side of the continent would be considered foreign, and its the default for families to prefer their children marry from their own. Somalis are actually exceptional bc we discriminate against each other despite being of the same ethnic group.

My brother was refused a Somali girl he liked bc of her background, they both ended up married to cadans.

I hope they work out.
A lot of Africans are like that. There are tensions between the major ethnic groups in most countries. A girl on the other side of the continent would be considered foreign, and its the default for families to prefer their children marry from their own. Somalis are actually exceptional bc we discriminate against each other despite being of the same ethnic group.

My brother was refused a Somali girl he liked bc of her background, they both ended up married to cadans.

Qabil shit??

Are you somali?

black

live and let die.

It's fine now. I laughed when he started crying, it's a bit dramatic lol

But.... what's the big deal? :ftw9nwa: I'm sure his mom would prefer her over a white or non African.

I used to live with a Kenyan friend whose mum was kinda racist. I remember him talking to her about a mutual Nigerian friend of ours, and she was telling him to watch his stuff around the Nigerian guy. She even went on to talk about their bad customs. Wallahi she went on to accuse them of widespread cannibalism loool. He even later confessed to me she told him to be careful of me because I'm Somali. He's obviously giving me the PC version. I suspect she had a lot say about me being Muslim too since she was a hardcore Christian.

VixR

Veritas
well you were talking about how difficult it was for inter-ethnic marriages in africa to occur and then went on how it was so hard for your bro to marry a somali

:browtf:
I was just saying discriminating against other ethnic groups, especially when it comes to marriage, is pretty standard across the board, African or not, and that if anything Somalis are a special case bc they're capable of discriminating despite being from the same ethnic group, in-group discrimination.

John Michael

Free my girl Jodi!
VIP
It's fine now. I laughed when he started crying, it's a bit dramatic lol

I used to live with a Kenyan friend whose mum was high key racist. I remember him talking to her about a mutual Nigerian friend of ours and she was telling him to watch his stuff around the Nigerian guy. She even went on to talk about their customs. Wallahi she went on to accuse them of widespread cannibalism loool. He even later confessed to me she told him to be careful of me because I'm Somali. He's obviously giving me the PC version. I suspect she had a lot say about me being Muslim too since she was a hardcore Christian.

arent Kenyans even more corrupt than Nigerians? :ftw9nwa:

These are the people who whip out machetes when the vote fixing hasn't gone their way. :yloezpe: All Bantus eat apes and wierd stuff, no disrespect but in general there is very little difference culturally between them all. Music/food/customs

VixR

Veritas

These are the people who whip out machetes when the vote fixing hasn't gone their way. :yloezpe: All Bantus eat apes and wierd stuff, no disrespect but in general there is very little difference culturally between them all. Music/food/customs
Nah, they're not the same. That's your Somali biases kicking in. The girl isn't even Bantu, the guy is. We're very racist subhanallah. Aren't you fasting? :ftw9nwa:

John Michael

Free my girl Jodi!
VIP
Nah, they're not the same. That's your Somali biases kicking in. The girl isn't even Bantu, the guy is. We're very racist subhanallah. Aren't you fasting? :ftw9nwa:

How is the truth racist? :faysalwtf:

Also I'm just as critical towards Somalis. It's tough love.

There are slight differences but the differences are so minuscule that it's difficult for an outsider to point them out, similar to European nations. I could hardly tell a Frenchman from an Englishman and would find it wierd if it was such a big deal for them to marry each other in 2017.

And yes they do eat primates. It's a delicacy. :ayaanswag:

I was just saying discriminating against other ethnic groups, especially when it comes to marriage, is pretty standard across the board, African or not, and that if anything Somalis are a special case bc they're capable of discriminating despite being from the same ethnic group, in-group discrimination.

Im still not 100% convinced

black

live and let die.

I don't know tbh. He was straight from Nairobi, middle-upper class and very western. They only spoke English at home which is why I understood everything whenever they'd Skype in the kitchen.

He was with an cadaan chick with no issues from his parents, so she can't have been that bad :zhqjlmx:

VixR

Veritas
How is the truth racist? :faysalwtf:

Also I'm just as critical towards Somalis. It's tough love.

There are slight differences but the differences are so minuscule that it's difficult for an outsider to point them out, similar to European nations. I could hardly tell a Frenchman from an Englishman and would find it wierd if it was such a big deal for them to marry each other in 2017.

And yes they do eat primates. It's a delicacy. :ayaanswag:
:mjlol:
It's not 2017 in Africa
Im still not 100% convinced

:cosbyhmm:What am I?

It depends on where that assumption is coming from lol, I can imagine the typical Somali person being like "why do they have kibr?" but at the end of the day everyone thinks their own culture is lit/superior.

I think a part of it being a big deal is they both seem to be international students, having your son marry out there in western world probably means accepting the fact that you will loose him forever.

VixR

Veritas
an observation post collecting data
tumblr_o1dyhmFaLv1ucj38ko8_500.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending