Falling in love against all odds - Couple from East & West Africa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nightline Kid

Hippo Crate
This is not surprising at all. I recently met a Kenyan international student at my uni who was really racist towards Somalis and had terrible streotypes about us.
This isn't exclusive to Africans, other races also dislike neighbouring ethnicities bc of historical beef
What kind of stereotypes did they believe in, genuinely curious

I'm against this :susp:

:kanyeshrug:

If animals know that they need to stick with their own, why can't people?
Dogs don't (purposely) mate with their own breed. Until crazy white people forced them and now "purebreds" are inbred.

We're all humans... plus it was a sweet video so I don't know why you're hating.

What kind of stereotypes did they believe in, genuinely curious
We are:
- Criminals
- Terrorists
- Destroying Kenya
- Need to be deported
- Ugly
He has a strong dislike for us but made it clear that he doesn't view me as 'really' Somali bc I'm british-born so he felt confident saying these things to me. But me and another Somali guy (half Ethiopian though) made it clear to him that these are false stereotypes.

Dogs don't (purposely) mate with their own breed. Until crazy white people forced them and now "purebreds" are inbred.

We're all humans... plus it was a sweet video so I don't know why you're hating.

It's a sweet video, and I support madow iyo madow marriage The couple in the video are both madows, I don't have a problem with that. I'm just a conservative Somali and I'm against Ajnabi marriage. That's just my preference.

I don't know why your hating on my preferences.

We are:
- Criminals
- Terrorists
- Destroying Kenya
- Need to be deported
- Ugly
He has a strong dislike for us but made it clear that he doesn't view me as 'really' Somali bc I'm british-born so he felt confident saying these things to me. But me and another Somali guy (half Ethiopian though) made it clear to him that these are false stereotypes.

It's interesting you say that. I had a Kenyan international student friend and if anything, I only heard of positive stereotypes. Vision, resilience , community, heck even Islam, as opposed to Christianity stamped as the norm to them by the colonisers. These were all the things she liked about our culture, one step farther - attend our events too with glee. She ended up with a complex too but borne from a longing for things I took for granted amongst other issues.

Also, how does a non-Somali feel comfortable enough to say those things in your presence? Ugly hahaha if Kenyans think we are ugly (and they absolutely do not) then alhamdulilah.

It's interesting you say that. I had a Kenyan international student friend and if anything, I only heard of positive stereotypes. Vision, resilience , community, heck even Islam, as opposed to Christianity stamped as the norm to them by the colonisers. These were all the things she liked about our culture, one step farther - attend our events too with glee. She ended up with a complex too but borne from a longing for things I took for granted amongst other issues.

Also, how does a non-Somali feel comfortable enough to say those things in your presence? Ugly hahaha if Kenyans think we are ugly (and they absolutely do not) then alhamdulilah.
The stereotypes of Somalis has changed in Kenya a lot recently (for the worse), but I agree that guy is an outlier, most i've met have been nice too.
He seemed to be an Islamaphobe and was consequently anti Somali (Somalis = Islam to him).
And Lol I told you he said that British born people are not "really Somali" so he didn't feel like he was insulting me. Ofc I felt insulted though and set him straight. Yeh the Somalis = ugly thing was ridiculous to me.

This is not surprising at all. I recently met a Kenyan international student at my uni who was really racist towards Somalis and had terrible streotypes about us.
This isn't exclusive to Africans, other races also dislike neighbouring ethnicities bc of historical beef

A kenyan is racist against us, somalis:mjlol::mjlol:

Ragu doqonsanaa:drakelaugh:

Ilaahow nimaan wax ogeyn ha cadaabin:bell:

It's a sweet video, and I support madow iyo madow marriage The couple in the video are both madows, I don't have a problem with that. I'm just a conservative Somali and I'm against Ajnabi marriage. That's just my preference.

I don't know why your hating on my preferences.
I can't hate on something I misunderstood/wasn't stated in the original post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending