Stolen: How Yemenis stole Somali food and culture

Why do you revisionists claim ancient Egypt, ancient Nubia, Xamar, and now Yemeni food. You guys are honestly headed the wrong path claiming things that you aren’t your own. People visited ancient Somalia bro check what they wrote! There’s so many sources.

Because I'm Cushitic. The Lord of the universe placed my balls from southern Egypt all the way to Tanzania with a fist of iron.

You are a slave, a mixed race mutt with no history.

@Cityviews
@Factz

Check out this mixed race mullato muwallad talking ill about Somalis, the lords of the Horn of Africa. The internet has certainly empowered some people to talk!

Because I'm Cushitic. The Lord of the universe placed my balls from southern Egypt all the way to Tanzania with a fist of iron.

You are a slave, a mixed race mutt with no history.

@Cityviews
@Factz

Check out this mixed race mullato muwallad talking ill about Somalis, the lords of the Horn of Africa. The internet has certainly empowered some people to talk!
Revisionist!!!!! Is what you are! My people founded the most successful city in Somalia! How am I slave. I have ancient sources to back me up do you? So sad claiming ancient Egypt! You do know they can do DNA tests on the mummies right? Science is your enemy. Lies are your friend.

Last edited:
Too many extremes in this thread. Self-haters vs over the top people (Somalis created everything). People borrow from each other. It goes both ways and it's really not that deep.

Why do you revisionists claim ancient Egypt, ancient Nubia, Xamar, and now Yemeni food. You guys are honestly headed the wrong path claiming things that you aren’t your own. People visited ancient Somalia bro check what they wrote! There’s so many sources.
Why do we claim Xamar? Funny how you snuck that in there. Can you post the sources about ancient Somalia. I'm genuinely curious.

1B247A31-BA2D-4EA3-BA30-15C50B624CDE.jpeg
Why do we claim Xamar? Funny how you snuck that in there. Can you post the sources about ancient Somalia. I'm genuinely curious.
A lot of sources wallahi but they claim different things. But mostly how Arabs lived in Mogadishu. I didn’t sneak in anything.

View attachment 69925
A lot of sources wallahi but they claim different things. But mostly how Arabs lived in Mogadishu. I didn’t sneak in anything.
Xamar from what I've always heard has always been a diverse city and somewhat like Hararis reer xamar are people of various lineages including of ethnic Somali descent. I don't agree with insults however, it is dodgy on your part to include Somalis claiming a Somali city as the same as claiming Nubia, ancient Egypt or Yemen. We have nothing to do with those areas.

Arabsiyawi

HA Activist.
We all know Somalis influenced the people around them since the start of time. But did you know how much of an influence we had on our Yemeni neighbors? They won't speak about this because they want to steal our food to make money off it. Go to any Yemeni restaurant and see for yourself. Here are some examples of Somali dishes stolen by Yemenis. I will put "Yemeni" in quotation in the description. Look on how they describe our food as theirs. It's a crime.

Examples of Stolen Somali Food:
Maraq (marag)
  • Maraq (مرق) is a "Yemeni"lamb broth soup is always served at the beginning of the meal. It comes with a slice of lemon to squeeze into the soup.
Mandi
(mindi, mandy, mandee)

Mandi (المندي‎) is the traditional dish in Yemen native to Hadhramaut Province and many other Yemeni cities. Mandi is usually made from meat (lamb or chicken), basmati rice, and a mixture of spices. The meat used is usually a young and small sized lamb to enhance the taste further. Raisins and pine nuts can be added to the rice as per one's taste. Mandi is also considered as the main dish served in special events such as weddings and feasts.
  • ( Somali bariis influence)
Hanid
(haneed)

hanid.JPG

Hanid (لحم حنيد) is made with lamb or chicken in a tanoor (clay oven filled with hot coals).
  • ( Haniid is literally a Somali word.)
Mashwi

Mashwi
(مشوي), meaning grilled or roasted, is the whole fish grilled in the oven and served simply with lemon slices.

• ( This is a Somali northern coastal dish that was stolen)
Malawah
(malawach, malohwa, malowa, mulawah)

Malawah is one of the many kinds of bread eaten in Yemen. What makes it unique is that it is layered and folded with butter or ghee inside which makes it very tasty. You will most likely find this bread in the many restaurants in Sana'a, Aden, Hodeidah or other parts of the country. It is not usually made at home but perhaps somewhere they do make it at home. It also usually comes very large in a single or "malawah double" serving and then is folded on the table to keep it from cooling down and getting too crispy.
  • ( They even stole Malawah, again Malawah has no meaning in Arabic, but in Somali the meaning is clear in the name )
Sabayah
(sabaya, bint al sahn)

Source: Queen of Sheba Yemeni Recipes

Sabayah (بنت الصحن) is layers of pastry with butter in between each layer and Yemeni honey and black sesame seeds on top.
  • ( They stole the word Sabayaad for this dish, Somali Sabaayad is served with Malab)
Fasolia
(fasuuliah)

Fasolia (فاصوليا) is a red or white kidney bean dish with tomatoes, onions, and other vegetables and spices.
  • ( Northern Somali Dish stolen )

Sambusa
(sambosa, samosa)

Many Asian countries have their own version of sambusa. The Yemeni version is eaten during Ramadan for iftar when breaking the fast at sunset. Usually inside is meat or cheese.

Qamir
(khameer, bakhmri)

Qamir
(الخمير او المقصفص) is a fried dough sweet from Hadramout and it has similar cousins in East Africa, India, and other Arab countries. This bread-like treat can be either sweet or savory. It's usually served during Ramadan along with the sambosa. (Note in the photo that the qamir are behind the sambusa.)
  • (Literally another Somali dish stolen, in the north it is called Khamir in the south it is called Buur)

Shurbat Qamah
(shurbat Ramadan, shuraba, shurabah)

Shurbat qamah is a soup that is only made during Ramadan for breaking the fast. Buckwheat or oatmeal is a main ingredient and makes the soup chewy. The broth is made with onion, slices of tomato, and tomato sauce. There are other variations of the broth with different vegetables or even just milk and salt. It can be made with lamb or chicken.
  • ( Somali Shurba stolen, again same meaning it is only eaten during Ramadan)

There is many more examples, but don't ever think our dishes were influenced by others. :gucciwhat: They were stolen from us :nahgirl:
this whole thread is a lie lmaooo :damn:

A Yemeni peasant claiming to have founded Xamar??? These guys have been given too much freedom. I have some new clothes I need knitting and I will not tolerate a lazy employee. :denzelnigga:

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
this whole thread is a lie lmaooo :damn:

Well Zeila had cultural influences to its cuisine from elsewhere but that was not Yemen. What should be discussed are the (1) Turkish (2) Persian and (3) South Asian influences on the cusinines of much of the Arab world.

the new gen. Somalis are out doing the Afrocentric AAs with thier "we invented everything and shiet " :faysalwtf:
so much revisionism.
Wiki
YouTube
Twitter, they're everywhere

Waar be proud of who you are .Nomadic Geeljires ,
our people always lived free , living life the way they want , never been a subjected of a king or ruled over by an emperor like most of the world's nations , we kept our unique culture and language for thousands of years , that's something to be proud of.

and Caano iyo hilib is our food , be proud of what we have and stop making up stuff .
y'all fuckers are embarrassing our name with this cringe shit .

Arabsiyawi

HA Activist.
Well Zeila had cultural influences to its cuisine from elsewhere but that was not Yemen. What should be discussed are the (1) Turkish (2) Persian and (3) South Asian influences on the cusinines of much of the Arab world.
No im not arguing the fact that we share lots of things with Yemen in terms of culture, but neither side can claim their culture was stolen or appropriated by the other imo.

one

ᶜᵃʷᵒ ᶜᵃʷˡᵒ
Indho-adayga dadka qaar.:icon lol:

I've seen people arguing that d00ro and canjeelo are "cushitic" words/dishes.:icon lol:

I also remember reading a post, saying that Fircoon in the Quran is a somali loanword, imagine saying that Allah borrowed a word from the Somalis.:cryinglaughsmiley:

We all know Somalis influenced the people around them since the start of time. But did you know how much of an influence we had on our Yemeni neighbors? They won't speak about this because they want to steal our food to make money off it. Go to any Yemeni restaurant and see for yourself. Here are some examples of Somali dishes stolen by Yemenis. I will put "Yemeni" in quotation in the description. Look on how they describe our food as theirs. It's a crime.

Examples of Stolen Somali Food:
Maraq (marag)
  • Maraq (مرق) is a "Yemeni"lamb broth soup is always served at the beginning of the meal. It comes with a slice of lemon to squeeze into the soup.
Mandi
(mindi, mandy, mandee)

Mandi (المندي‎) is the traditional dish in Yemen native to Hadhramaut Province and many other Yemeni cities. Mandi is usually made from meat (lamb or chicken), basmati rice, and a mixture of spices. The meat used is usually a young and small sized lamb to enhance the taste further. Raisins and pine nuts can be added to the rice as per one's taste. Mandi is also considered as the main dish served in special events such as weddings and feasts.
  • ( Somali bariis influence)
Hanid
(haneed)

hanid.JPG

Hanid (لحم حنيد) is made with lamb or chicken in a tanoor (clay oven filled with hot coals).
  • ( Haniid is literally a Somali word.)
Mashwi

Mashwi
(مشوي), meaning grilled or roasted, is the whole fish grilled in the oven and served simply with lemon slices.

• ( This is a Somali northern coastal dish that was stolen)
Malawah
(malawach, malohwa, malowa, mulawah)

Malawah is one of the many kinds of bread eaten in Yemen. What makes it unique is that it is layered and folded with butter or ghee inside which makes it very tasty. You will most likely find this bread in the many restaurants in Sana'a, Aden, Hodeidah or other parts of the country. It is not usually made at home but perhaps somewhere they do make it at home. It also usually comes very large in a single or "malawah double" serving and then is folded on the table to keep it from cooling down and getting too crispy.
  • ( They even stole Malawah, again Malawah has no meaning in Arabic, but in Somali the meaning is clear in the name )
Sabayah
(sabaya, bint al sahn)

Source: Queen of Sheba Yemeni Recipes

Sabayah (بنت الصحن) is layers of pastry with butter in between each layer and Yemeni honey and black sesame seeds on top.
  • ( They stole the word Sabayaad for this dish, Somali Sabaayad is served with Malab)
Fasolia
(fasuuliah)

Fasolia (فاصوليا) is a red or white kidney bean dish with tomatoes, onions, and other vegetables and spices.
  • ( Northern Somali Dish stolen )

Sambusa
(sambosa, samosa)

Many Asian countries have their own version of sambusa. The Yemeni version is eaten during Ramadan for iftar when breaking the fast at sunset. Usually inside is meat or cheese.

Qamir
(khameer, bakhmri)

Qamir
(الخمير او المقصفص) is a fried dough sweet from Hadramout and it has similar cousins in East Africa, India, and other Arab countries. This bread-like treat can be either sweet or savory. It's usually served during Ramadan along with the sambosa. (Note in the photo that the qamir are behind the sambusa.)
  • (Literally another Somali dish stolen, in the north it is called Khamir in the south it is called Buur)

Shurbat Qamah
(shurbat Ramadan, shuraba, shurabah)

Shurbat qamah is a soup that is only made during Ramadan for breaking the fast. Buckwheat or oatmeal is a main ingredient and makes the soup chewy. The broth is made with onion, slices of tomato, and tomato sauce. There are other variations of the broth with different vegetables or even just milk and salt. It can be made with lamb or chicken.
  • ( Somali Shurba stolen, again same meaning it is only eaten during Ramadan)

There is many more examples, but don't ever think our dishes were influenced by others. :gucciwhat: They were stolen from us :nahgirl:
What's ur insta. I wanna @ u