Somalis' Specific Mtdna clades

Arabsiyawi

HA Activist.
Hi y'all.

Is it possible for all the somalis that have done 23andme tests to post their 23andme assigned Mtdna results as well as processing their raw data into https://dna.jameslick.com/mthap/ (which does not even take 4m) to see what their sub-clades might be.
I am particularly interested in the R0a somalis.

(You can try to find your clade on https://www.yfull.com/mtree/, which is cool)

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:

Apollo

VIP
Hi y'all.

Is it possible for all the somalis that have done 23andme tests to post their 23andme assigned Mtdna results as well as processing their raw data into https://dna.jameslick.com/mthap/ (which does not even take 4m) to see what their sub-clades might be.
I am particularly interested in the R0a somalis.

(You can try to find your clade on https://www.yfull.com/mtree/, which is cool)

Most Somalis have R0a2 when they have R0a.

But there really aren't much Somali-specific mtDNAs (only perhaps really new ones that are under 2,000 years old). The older subclades are shared with neighboring East African countries (even the R/N etc ones).

All my matches on that list seem to have Euro flags

Basically all Northeast African mtdna and ydna is dominated or heavily represented by Arabians and other Eurasians right now.

R0a2g and R0a2b and Hv1b1 are basically Cushitic and Northeast African lineages.

Alot of Somali N lineages are unresolved and some are very basal.

The Takrori shelter N* Saharan Neolithic mtdna and U6 and M1 in paleolithic North african IBM indicates a paleolithic and Neolithic diversity of very divergent Eurasian mtdna in Northeast Africa.

Only higher resolution K1a Somalis are K1a12a, which doesnt have as broad a representation in the Horn. It could be Semitic or late West Asian ancestry.

I'm pretty sure we will see Abgaal and Murusade with B4a1a1 soon hhhhh

Basically all Northeast African mtdna and ydna is dominated or heavily represented by Arabians and other Eurasians right now.

R0a2g and R0a2b and Hv1b1 are basically Cushitic and Northeast African lineages.

Alot of Somali N lineages are unresolved and some are very basal.

The Takrori shelter N* Saharan Neolithic mtdna and U6 and M1 in paleolithic North african IBM indicates a paleolithic and Neolithic diversity of very divergent Eurasian mtdna in Northeast Africa.

Only higher resolution K1a Somalis are K1a12a, which doesnt have as broad a representation in the Horn. It could be Semitic or late West Asian ancestry.

I'm pretty sure we will see Abgaal and Murusade with B4a1a1 soon hhhhh
Thanks for explaining!

Thanks for explaining!

It means it shows your most recent branch (i.e subclade) of any given lineage. For example, just knowing you're Hawiye won't help as much as knowing you are Karanle and Murusade. It's the most recent branching and split of a lineage you know of.

K1a does have Cushitic specific subclade(s), but I don't know which of the specific subclades of K1a it is outside of possibly K1a12a and K1a12a1.

Most Somali K1a with higher resolution are K1a12a. I haven't seen otherwise. Most are just K1a, but it's 60-40 split for K1a vs K1a12a assignments. This makes it likely that Cushitic subclades belonging to K1a include K1a12a in addition to another one or several major K1a branches that are simply undocumented and unresolved, which will not be shocking in any way since alot of Somali N lineages are practically unknown.

Only other K1a12a I've seen in the Horn or amongst Cushitic and Cushitic-related populations are Ethiopians of unknown origin who belong to the K1a12a1 subclade.

Similarly no one really knows what subclade Somali mtdna I carriers belong to. Almost all Somali mtdna I are basal I* that is super rare.

There are several Somali mtdna U9, a very rare mtdna. Somali U9's are usually assigned as U9a1, like the Ethiopian ones.

U3 and its U3a subclade in Somalis is by far the weirdest thing through. It has a European distribution, yet it is always found in Somalis, and it is too young in age.

Trending