Somali flag burned in Boorama

Please, there are no "facts" here. If we were discussing vexillological similarities I would be inclined to agree with you but we're not. The exact claim was that Mohammed Liban based his design of the Somali flag on the Italian Somaliland coat of arms. There is no historical evidence to substantiate such a claim, and your side has fielded nothing but snide conjecture.

This is not about "vexillological similarities", this is a basic copy. You could say that resemblance between the Bonnie Flag of the Confederacy and Somalia's flag is due to vexillological similarities, as there is no connection or any relevance between the two. That would just be idiotic to say about the massive similarities between Somalia's flag and that of the coat of arms it had when it was a Italian. See a basic visual representation of the journey from the Italian colonial coat of arms the Somalia coat of arms and flag. No amount of dancing around is going to change the fact of the colonial origins of your country's flag and coat of arms.

7uyqw6vgjfn51.jpg

You present any one a picture of the Italian colony coat of arms and the Somalia coat of arms & Somalia flag to anyone that is not a deluded Wanlaweyn fanatic, and they will tell you're a moron if they aren't based on eachother.

The irony of being told by a Somalilander to "admit reality". Remind again, how many decades has the Hargeisa regime been clambering for independence? I think your advice would be better served there than here.

Learn the difference between Independence and recognition. Somaliland's independence has been a reality for 30 years. We strive for international recognition of that independence, but are under no delusion that we already have it. We have a healthy relationship with reality, we suggest you do the same as soon as you have stopped bombing eachother to obliteration on a daily basis.

Last edited:
It makes sense and my dad and uncles never taught me it. I’m probably the least qabilist person on this site lol. :mjlol:

Lol, that is what typically the most qabiilist Somali says, in a very hyperbolic Trumpist fashion. I go by people's actions and not by how non-qabiilist they claim to be.

The point you were trying to make is 100% qabiilist in nature.

Lol, that is what typically the most qabiilist Somali says, in a very hyperbolic Trumpist fashion. I go by people's actions and not by how non-qabiilist they claim to be.

The point you were trying to make is 100% qabiilist in nature.
How is qabilist when you don’t want to be a part of Somalia shouldn’t your flag represent this. It’s an educated guess and I really don’t see how it’s qabilist.

How is qabilist when you don’t want to be a part of Somalia shouldn’t your flag represent this. It’s an educated guess and I really don’t see how it’s qabilist.
Dude, stop with this fake pretend ignorance of what you and your kind are trying to say.

It is qabiilist because it is trying to say Somalilanders are "somalidiid". The name of our country literally means Land of the Somalis. How TF would we by trying to symbolize anything negative about Somalis, if we proudly embrace our Somali nature, culture and land.

As I said, GTFO here with that BS, your qabiilist intentions are obvious.
:camby:

Dude, stop with this fake pretend ignorance of what you and your kind are trying to say.

It is qabiilist because it is trying to say Somalilanders are "somalidiid". The name of our country literally means Land of the Somalis, how TF would we by trying to symbolize anything negative about Somalis, if we proudly embrace us being a land for Somalis.

As I said, GTFO here with that BS, your qabiilist intentions are obvious
Oh yeah what is me and my kind Mr Wadani. :dead::chrisfreshhah:

Please, there are no "facts" here. If we were discussing vexillological similarities I would be inclined to agree with you but we're not. The exact claim was that Mohammed Liban based his design of the Somali flag on the Italian Somaliland coat of arms. There is no historical evidence to substantiate such a claim, and your side has fielded nothing but snide conjecture.

For the record:

The five-pointed star was been used in political flags throughout modern Somali history. Even the earliest known flag of the SYL used stars to represent each area of partitioned Somaliweyn. Liban simplified this design into a single star at the centre; an entirely aesthetic choice. The azure colour was adopted in honour of the United Nations which shepherded our nascent republic into independence. Each facet of the flag can easily be accounted for in the historical record.

But, ignoring actual scholarship - I mean who cares about that, if a flag need only share a few similarities to allege plagiarism, did Somaliland copy their Yemeni neighbours?

View attachment 191200

The irony of being told by a Somalilander to "admit reality". Remind again, how many decades has the Hargeisa regime been clambering for recognition? I think your advice would be better served there than here.

Edit: changed a word.
Because of the "UN" is bs reason I have heard about the flag when that dude directly copied from the Italian colonial coat of arms for somalia :drakelaugh:

Also somaliland flag has Islamic origins of meaning as those colors represent Somali culture than the Blue color

It is qabiilist because it is trying to say Somalilanders are "somalidiid". The name of our country literally means Land of the Somalis. How TF would we by trying to symbolize anything negative about Somalis, if we proudly embrace our Somali nature, culture and land.

As I said, GTFO here with that BS, your qabiilist intentions are obvious.
So let me get this straight somaliweyn ie. all 5 Somali territories under 1 government is positive. Bro are you even a somalilander . :damn:

Also I never said Somalilanders themselves dislike their fellow Somalis. I just meant Somalilanders dislike somaliweyn. :dead:

MT Foxtrot

Anti-qabil
This is not about "vexillological similarities", this is a basic copy. See a basic visual representation of the journey from the Italian colonial coat of arms the Somalia coat of arms and flag. No amount of dancing around is going to change the fact of the colonial origins of your country's flag and coat of arms. You present the following progression to anyone that is not a deluded Wanlaweyn fanatic, and they will tell you the same.

7uyqw6vgjfn51.jpg

I've given you the historical context the Somali flag was borne in and you immediately dismissed it before retreating into your ahistorical talking points. Let me reiterate again, there is no evidence to support your claims. The design, symbolism, and adoption of the Somali flag is a matter of historical record. Your entire argument rests on an unsourced image uploaded to Wikimedia in 2012 - which was also the author's "own work".

Once again, using your reasoning, did Somaliland copy the Mahra Sultanate of Yemen?

flag.jpg

I've given you the historical context the Somali flag was borne in and you immediately dismissed it before retreating into your ahistorical talking points. Let me reiterate again, there is no evidence to support your claims. The design, symbolism, and adoption of the Somali flag is a matter of historical record. Your entire argument rests on an unsourced image uploaded to Wikimedia in 2012 - which was also the author's "own work".

Once again, using your reasoning, did Somaliland copy the Mahra Sultanate of Yemen?

View attachment 191222
You guys copied Italian nationalist colors and star and it's dumb to bring unknown mahra sultanate as a source of Somaliland copying their flag from when Somaliland colors have a Islamic meaning and it was taken from SNM flag
1200px-Flag_of_the_Somali_National_Movement.svg.png

Yukon_Niner

Ugaas of the supreme gentleman
VIP
I hate to do this, but you folks seem to have a hard time understanding basic concepts. Maybe a picture will help.
7uyqw6vgjfn51.jpg

None of the examples you listed is closely similar to the Somali flag. The progress from the italian coat of arms to the Somalia flag and the Somalia coat of arms is just a straight up copy.
Do you mind sourcing this infographic you're claiming is how the Somali flag was created. It looks about as legit as a bag of crack in London.

flag.jpg

There's even an Iranian and Ghanaian version of this. You're just slapping a shahadah and a star on the Iranian flag.

But now it seems we've found the original from Yemen.

Mahra Sultanate to Somaliland = zero connection
Italian Somalia to Somalia = 100% connection

Is it so hard to grasp.

As far as historical context, you have told me the fairytale story you believe, I have seen no proof to backing up your fairytale story.

The question is much like someone being accused of plagiarism. They are shown that their work matches 80% of an existing piece of work, including entire paragraphs being word for word matches. The accused claim that this is purely coincidence and they arrived at their work entirely through their own creative mind. No-one would believe that.

The evidence is there for all to see. The Somalia flag is clearly based on the Italian coat of arms.

MT Foxtrot

Anti-qabil
As far as historical context, you have told me the fairytale story you believe, I have seen no proof to backing up your fairytale story.
All of the information I provided can be found in Africa's First Democrats by Professor Abdi Ismail Samatar.
The evidence is there for all to see. The Somalia flag is clearly based on the Italian coat of arms.

I think you need to consult a dictionary for the meaning of "evidence" because you haven't provided any. Your entire argument is based on a graphic designed and uploaded to Wikimedia in 2012. There is no source associated with the entry or any of the coat of arms discussed thus far.

Upon further research, it is revealed that the coat of arms you've presented was adopted by the colonial administration in 1919:
For the colony of Italian Somaliland a coat of arms was adopted by decree of the 3rd of April 1919. It is parted per fess Azure and Gules, a fess wavy Argent, in chief a panther (Panthera pardus - Felidæ) passant guardant proper, above his head a five-pointed star Argent, and in base two six-pointed stars Argent. On the shield is an antique crown of nine points.

The first SYL flag predates this by nine years:
1910-syl.jpg

So, not only were you wrong about this, but your cuqdad led you to unwittingly attribute the symbol of the Somali independence movement to Italian colonisers. Cajiib.
Mahra Sultanate to Somaliland = zero connection
Italian Somalia to Somalia = 100% connection

"The evidence is there for all to see. The Somali Somaliland flag is clearly based on the Italian coat of arms Mahra Sultanate's flag."

See what I did there? Vexillological similarity is not evidence that one flag is based on or a copy of another. Mohammed Liban's design harkens back to the earlier Somali Youth League flag which predates the Italian Somaliland coat of arms. This design was appropriated by the Italians hoping to subvert the growing movement for Somali autonomy. Your flagrant historical revisionism is a disservice to the men and women who fought to give us a country to call our own. Isku xishoo and stop peddling such nonsense.

Attachments

• SYL20150502.jpg
    SYL20150502.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

MT Foxtrot

Anti-qabil
Do you mind sourcing this infographic you're claiming is how the Somali flag was created. It looks about as legit as a bag of crack in London.

The image in the infographic was created and uploaded to Wikimedia in 2012. The actual coat of arms was adopted by the Italian administration in 1919 to subvert the budding independence movement. The SYL flag predates this by several years. See my post above for additional sources.

The image in the infographic was created and uploaded to Wikimedia in 2012. The actual coat of arms was adopted by the Italian administration in 1919 to subvert the budding independence movement. The SYL flag predates this by several years. See my post above for additional sources.
The flag is actually from Italian colonial coat of arms as the blue and star have Italian nationalistic meaning

Trending