So who were Somalis 5000 years ago?

There is no modern group that is 100% proto-Cushitic without any non-Cushitic admixture. Bejas have mixed with Nubians, Egyptians, and Saudi type of Arabs (on their way inland into the rest of North Sudan during the Arabization period of Sudan).

Cushites more to the South often have local hunter-gatherer admixture and in Eritrea/North-Central Ethiopia they got Omotic & Habesha/Sabaean stuff.
Sabean and Omotic in cnetral Ethiopia and Eritrea?

Apollo

VIP
Aren't Nubians mostly of "Cushitic stock" ???For some odd reasons, I'm very confident in the idea that they just had a massive language shift from Cushitic to Nilo-Saharan.

Mostly, but Proto-Cushites were from almost 6-4 kya ago. Nubians formed more around the last 2-0.5 kya. During that period there was likely a new Nilote movement northwards that made them speak a Nilo-Saharan language and likely they mixed with dynastic AEs as well.

Apollo

VIP
Can u show where it says that? I just skimmed it and says nothing about Omotic DNA in "northern Ethiopians"

also Ethiopia isn't homogenous, they're over 100 million and there Nilotic populations north and west of the country.

They lived in Ethiopia before the arrival of Cushites and Ethiosemites. That's why it is in Northern Habeshas.

PS. Afars have the least of it, because their territory did not support much hunter-gatherer lifestyles due to aridity.

Can u show where it says that? I just skimmed it and says nothing about Omotic DNA in "northern Ethiopians"

also Ethiopia isn't homogenous, they're over 100 million and there Nilotic populations north and west of the country.

"...in particular DNA from ancient individuals like Mota found in present-day Ethiopia, may increase precision in identifying ancient ancestral differences between Ethiopians using these techniques.

Under the “Ethiopia-external” analysis, GLOBETROTTER infers admixture in 69 out of 78 Ethiopian clusters (Fig 3b, Extended Table 5), with results indicating intermixing between a source represented by (a) Sub Saharan African groups (often including Mota) and another source represented by (b) W.Eurasian (related primarily to present-day Saudis, Yemenites and Iranians; Fig 1b), Egyptian and/or N.African groups (Fig 3b, Fig S9, Extended Table 5). Notably, Somalia differs among clusters in that it acts as a surrogate to source (a) in north/northeastern clusters with higher amounts of inferred ancestry related to Egyptian groups (type “a” clusters), while it acts as a surrogate to source (b) in west/southwest clusters with higher amounts of inferred ancestry related to East/West Sub-Saharan Africa (type “b” clusters) (Fig 3, Fig S9b-c, Table S10, Appendix B)."

@Apollo

What did they mean by this, exactly?

"Notably, Somalia differs among clusters in that it acts as a surrogate to source (a) in north/northeastern clusters with higher amounts of inferred ancestry related to Egyptian groups (type “a” clusters), while it acts as a surrogate to source (b) in west/southwest clusters with higher amounts of inferred ancestry related to East/West Sub-Saharan Africa (type “b” clusters) (Fig 3, Fig S9b-c, Table S10, Appendix B)."

That Somalis are a reference population for both the Eurasian/Egyptian component of the Habesha and the AEA component of Nilotic/Omotic populations in the Southwest of Ethiopia?

For a while I was convinced in the Cushitic argument. But the more I think, the more I realise we're just migrants from the fertile cresent who mated with the local Africans.

Arabsiyawi

HA Activist.
We don't have Mota admixture.

We probably have something related to Mota but split by a considerable amount.
How do I score +-8% ETH_4000YBP on G25 then ? Or is that %age what you think is Mota-related and not actually Mota ? I don't get what you mean sorry

How do I score +-8% ETH_4000YBP on G25 then ? Or is that %age what you think is Mota-related and not actually Mota ? I don't get what you mean sorry

G25 picks up false signals and is not the best when used on ancient samples.

Mota can be modelled as deriving a substantial amount of his ancestry from Dinka even though the groups are split for 10s of thousands of years.

The truth is that there seems to be something that isn't Proto-nilotic like which can also be seen in our maternal HG and the one E-M281 haplogroup but as to how much and who they were is a mystery.

Trending