So who were Somalis 5000 years ago?

T1a

Oberbefehlshaber der Somalier Genetik Gruppe
You know, the people that drew the laas geel cave painting and other areas of the north west?

Any educated guess on their genetic make up, haplogroups?

Any what of the south Semitic sabaean writings?

T1a

Oberbefehlshaber der Somalier Genetik Gruppe
Somalis are a modern people.
There are literally no mentions of the word « Somali » prior to the Middle Ages.
Perhaps I should have been clearer. Who were the proto-Somalis 5000 ybp?

Rubbish, Somalis are an oral people. Of course there wouldn't be an account until the middle ages. Sab iyo Samaale is well known among Somalis
Samaale is just a myth among others.

The real name of Somalis is actually 'Simur' until the habeshas started to call us 'Somali'. There's no definitive reason as to where 'Somali' came from.

Arabsiyawi

HA Activist.
Perhaps I should have been clearer. Who were the proto-Somalis 5000 ybp?

I think 5000ybp Lowland East Cushitic languages probably didn’t even diverge, how do you want these people to be proto-Somalis ?

Somalis existed back then, we just didn't call ourselves that.

Trash thought. We can say the same for the entire Humanity. This sentence makes absolutely 0 sense lol.
10K ybp, Koreans existed, they just didn’t call themselves Koreans.

Rubbish, Somalis are an oral people. Of course there wouldn't be an account until the middle ages. Sab iyo Samaale is well known among Somalis

Blablablabla. If in big 2020 you still think Somali oral history is legit... Samaale can kiss my bum :oh6b81q:

Apollo

VIP
Somalis started becoming a distinctive group more around 3,500-3,000 years ago at the maximum.

5,000 years ago they were a different ethnicity and likely lived at an unknown different location.

Awdalia Rising

SSpot Special Correspondent
Somalis were always around you know how I know? The supposed Land of Punt that existed in our area long ago but left no real signs of civilization no writings no nothing. Sounds like Geeljire behavior to me

I see u Waaqo :gaasdrink:

Samaale is the origin of Somali whether you like it or not :dabcasar:
There's clear evidence that Somalis don't all have the same origin and have a variety of paternal haplogroups.

Samaale is just a legend next thing you'll say Nordes came from Thor.

Oral desert nomads don't know Jack.

The folks who lived in Somalia 5500 years ago and drew the Laas Geel paintings weren't Somali.

They may have not even been Cushitc speaking people.

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP
Samaale is just a myth among others.

The real name of Somalis is actually 'Simur' until the habeshas started to call us 'Somali'. There's no definitive reason as to where 'Somali' came from.

Actually there are ancient documents that proto-Somalis were referred to as "Samaale" in the first century.

According to some scholars, the term stuck since the proto-Somali era, when Hellenic and Greek explorers came across the term while in contact with proto-Somalis. Other scholars attribute the term "soo maal" to the historically hospitable nature of proto-Somalis in ancient eras who would invite guests to drink milk from their various varieties of livestock.

"Simur" was never our official ethnicity name. It was simply a name our neighbors would call us in the medieval times.