So who were Somalis 5000 years ago?

T1a

Oberbefehlshaber der Somalier Genetik Gruppe
The folks who lived in Somalia 5500 years ago and drew the Laas Geel paintings weren't Somali.

They may have not even been Cushitc speaking people.
It seems the thread has gone off topic. What I want to know is, who drew the cave paintings, what was their genetic make up. @Apollo

I'm not sure the autosomal makeup of the pastoralist.

But they may have been similar to Early pastoralists maybe even higher Eurasian.

The South Cushtic paper, said that the proto-Cushitic population was 50-50 African/Eurasian , so either the early pastoralist and the ones that lived in Somalia may be Pre-Cushtic people's, considering the Eurasian in the early pastoralist was quite a bit higher than 50%.

Actually there are ancient documents that proto-Somalis were referred to as "Samaale" in the first century.

According to some scholars, the term stuck since the proto-Somali era, when Hellenic and Greek explorers came across the term while in contact with proto-Somalis. Other scholars attribute the term "soo maal" to the historically hospitable nature of proto-Somalis in ancient eras who would invite guests to drink milk from their various varieties of livestock.

"Simur" was never our official ethnicity name. It was simply a name our neighbors would call us in the medieval times.
That sounds interesting but I never heard of any ancient documents calling proto-Somalis as 'Samaale'. It'd be interesting to see those documents if they exist as you claim, especially since Somalis didn't have a written language at that time period......

'So maal' could mean different things but I never heard the connection with 'hospitality'. The old word for meat in Somali is "Soo" so some scholars say that "Somali" came from 'the people who ate/made meat' and meat is indeed popular in Somali cuisine like camel meat. I never knew of this "hispirality" thing though.

'Simur' isn't what habeshas called us, as far as I know and I'm sure it's factual, the term predates the word "Somali".

I'm not sure the autosomal makeup of the pastoralist.

But they may have been similar to Early pastoralists maybe even higher Eurasian.

The South Cushtic paper, said that the proto-Cushitic population was 50-50 African/Eurasian , so either the early pastoralist and the ones that lived in Somalia may be Pre-Cushtic people's, considering the Eurasian in the early pastoralist was quite a bit higher than 50%.

Are you talking about the people who painted Laas Geel?

One thing has always bothered me about Laas Geel. If the dating is correct, and Laas Geel is indeed 5000 yrs old, it puts it at roughly 3000 BCE. So, why should it be special? Cave paintings in 3000 BCE is pretty uninspiring, when you think about all the other shit that was going on at the time. Pharoanic Egypt, stone henge, Jomon, indus-valley, bronze age Mediterranean civilization etc.

excerpt from interesting book:
20200131_034125.jpg

using the the glottochronological formula the author estimates the proto sam speaking people goes back at least 2400 years

Last edited:
One thing has always bothered me about Laas Geel. If the dating is correct, and Laas Geel is indeed 5000 yrs old, it puts it at roughly 3000 BCE. So, why should it be special? Cave paintings in 3000 BCE is pretty uninspiring, when you think about all the other shit that was going on at the time. Pharoanic Egypt, stone henge, Jomon, indus-valley, bronze age Mediterranean civilization etc.
Because it provides a source on ancient life and what they did in every life. Furthermore cave paintings are interesting in the fact that despite our culture consisting of oral tales, these cave paintings serve as both information to be passed on and give a perspective on beliefs particular to that period.

T1a

Oberbefehlshaber der Somalier Genetik Gruppe
I think the drawings were done by J1 Sabaeans. It is possible they inhabited northern Somalia before being displaced. It could have also been a refuge for them from the Aksumites. J1 in Somalia is from Sabaeans that were displace by T and E.

Last edited:

Arabsiyawi

HA Activist.
I think the drawings were done by J1 Sabaeans. It is possible they inhabited northern Somalia before being displaced. It could have also been a refuge for them from the Aksumites. J1 in Somalia is from Sabaeans that were displace by T and E.

J1 arrived in the Horn probably during the 1st millenia BCE. T-Y44591 seems to be a tiny bit younger or at most the same age as all the J1 clades found among Horners.

Aurelian

Forza Somalia!
VIP
Somalis started becoming a distinctive group more around 3,500-3,000 years ago at the maximum.

5,000 years ago they were a different ethnicity and likely lived at an unknown different location.
I really like to know how you could tell if Somalis became Somalis 3500 years ago? Like how you could be sure about that number

Trending