Should Afro-Asiatic be disbanded?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apollo

VIP
It would be interesting to see just how much of Amharic is still Cushitic. I think one of the Xabashi forumers on here had a dictionary on Ge'ez and showed some words if Cushitic origin.

Here it is, I think:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=WqkbGRnoSncC&printsec=frontcover&dq=geez+dictionary&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjs3dmBopzdAhULLsAKHU1dB4MQ6AEIKDAB#v=onepage&q=geez dictionary&f=false

Just looking at the first page and Ive already found a couple of Somali words "Bagga" means good, "3agr" means feet and "abar" meaning dry correspond to Somali Baga "good", "cago" means feet and "Abaar" meaing drought.

Afwerki, the Eritrean president, means ''Mouth'' of Gold.

That's because these language families are much younger Indo European was spoken 4500 to 2500 B.C. while afro Asiatic was spoken from anything between 7,500 BC to 16,000 BC.
You understand that there were different branches of afro Asiatic when proto Indo European was spoken

When Somalia gets its shit together (eventually), it should be a number 1 priority to standardise the Somali language and preserve its Cushitic heritage before the Semitic Armageddon.
Somali intellectuals have destroyed Somali. They over use and promote Arabic and English loan words when there are equivalent Somali words.

It would be interesting to see just how much of Amharic is still Cushitic. I think one of the Xabashi forumers on here had a dictionary on Ge'ez and showed some words if Cushitic origin.

Here it is, I think:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=WqkbGRnoSncC&printsec=frontcover&dq=geez+dictionary&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjs3dmBopzdAhULLsAKHU1dB4MQ6AEIKDAB#v=onepage&q=geez dictionary&f=false

Just looking at the first page and Ive already found a couple of Somali words "Bagga" means good, "3agr" means feet and "abar" meaning dry correspond to Somali Baga "good", "cago" means feet and "Abaar" meaing drought.

All Ethiopian/Eritrean Semitic languages (except may be Arabic) have Cushitic influence to different degrees. The more the south the more the Cushitic influence. As one here mentioned, the word "Af" for example means mouth in both Amharic and Tigrinya and in Somali I think it means language (?), I am not sure but it has something to do with speaking I guess.

World

VIP
Hebrew:
Gəbūl גבול "border (state), borderline, limit"

Arabic:
ǧabal جبل "mountain"

Somali:
Gobol “border(state), region”.

On another note, I wish Somali had kept its own indigenous alphabet instead of adopting the Latin script (at least we didn’t use Arabic :oh6b81q:). A majority of the AA languages have their own and I feel left out :meleshame:

On another note, I wish Somali had kept its own indigenous alphabet instead of adopting the Latin script (at least we didn’t use Arabic :oh6b81q:). A majority of the AA languages have their own and I feel left out :meleshame:
We never had an indigenous writing system Same thing for oromos. We used the Arabic script for over 600 years so it should be our official script

Hebrew:

Arabic:
ǧabal جبل "mountain"

Somali:

Also:
‘Me’ in Hebrew - Ani לִי, which is exactly like Somalis Ani/Aniga!

Arabic - أنا Ana.
It seems like Hebrew has greater affinity with Somali than Arabic does; maybe because the Hebrew language has been highly influenced by the ancient Egyptian language, which has Cushitic routes. Hebrew seems to have many Somali nouns and terms, whilst the Arabic in our language is usually loan words for the ones we lack. Just a theory guys, don’t get triggered:manny:

Last edited:
When Somalia gets its shit together (eventually), it should be a number 1 priority to standardise the Somali language and preserve its Cushitic heritage before the Semitic Armageddon.

Historically semitic was a powerful language, without semitic the epic of gilgamesh wouldn't translated by the assryians.

Somali will never be semitifed, because the core vocab we use for a languages determines the origin. Like he, she, them, they, friend, house, mom, food and other stuff.

Hebrew:

Arabic:
ǧabal جبل "mountain"

Somali:

Those are big terms, Gobol is a state. I like to refer to older languages like Akkadian, the word for state is hard to find but the closes term is Maatu.

Some languages could share the same constants and also end with them

Like Camel, in
Somali the standard constant word is Geel
Arabic its Jamal
Hebrew its Gamal
In akkadian Gammaltu
In Oromo Gaala

They share similar wording unlike the Hausa Language they call it raƙumi

Those are big terms, Gobol is a state. I like to refer to older languages like Akkadian, the word for state is hard to find but the closes term is Maatu.

Some languages could share the same constants and also end with them

Like Camel, in
Somali the standard constant word is Geel
Arabic its Jamal
Hebrew its Gamal
In akkadian Gammaltu
In Oromo Gaala

They share similar wording unlike the Hausa Language they call it raƙumi

Geel/gaal might be a borrowed word, though. Someone told me camel in Yemeni dialect of Arabic is "Gaal".

Apollo

VIP
Oromo and Somali are much less similar than German and Scandinavian languages are. I can assure you that at least. I can get the gist of a Scandinavian text, but Oromo text is a mystery to me.

All Ethiopian/Eritrean Semitic languages (except may be Arabic) have Cushitic influence to different degrees. The more the south the more the Cushitic influence. As one here mentioned, the word "Af" for example means mouth in both Amharic and Tigrinya and in Somali I think it means language (?), I am not sure but it has something to do with speaking I guess.

You're right. Tigrey/tingrinye? are closer to the original ge'ez, whereas amharic and others are closer to the Agew/sidama languages they replaced.

Oromo and Somali are much less similar than German and Scandinavian languages are. I can assure you that at least. I can get the gist of a Scandinavian text, but Oromo text is a mystery to me.

Yeah, Oromo is the closest language to Somali and yet it is completely unintelligible to me.

To be honest, I feel most European languages are just dialects of one another, rather than distinct languages. They don't need to all be considered a different language. To me, Spanish/Portuguese are just dialects, Balkan languages are just different dialects of Serbian. Dutch/Frisian/Flemish are just dialects of German etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts