Mortgage

Exodus

Alienist
Somalis will say a mortgage is haram but commit fraud to gain benefits from the government, you can't make this up.

Buy property, and pass that down to your children to make your family wealthier and make their lives easier. I have my own place to live and won't be paying $1 of rent for the next 6 years as a student thanks to my family accumulating property.

Last edited:
You making it seem like it’s as easy as packing your bags and moving elsewhere, most of us are in the west not by choice but our parents seeking refuge.
But when you say haram it’s on the same level. You can’t make excuses for one and condemn the other. That’s my whole point.

Yes, I agree with the overall point you’re making that in living in a Christian country you’re subjected to a lot of things you don’t agree with, even voting in elections or following the laws of a Christian country is considered by some Ulema as haram. But I didn’t choose to live here I was born here, but again I largely agree, for this reason and others I am making preparations to live in my little tuulo in Ethiopia inshallah.

That doesn’t mean that engaging in clear sin just because you live in a Christian country and by necessity engage in a *similar* sin is okay. For example let’s say you had to live in a Christian country where no halal food was available, does that mean it’s okay to drink alcohol when water is readily available?
I agree with everything you said except the example you gave. We’re talking about usury, I’m saying why is one more easily excepted and the other condemned when it’s similar. I believe a mortgage is better for the the greater good, as in not living in ghetto areas and setting your family up to be more secure if you choose to continue to live in this country. That’s all.

NotMyL

"You are your best thing"
VIP
But when you say haram it’s on the same level. You can’t make excuses for one and condemn the other. That’s my whole point.
Haaye by your logic you are saying since I pay indirect interest, have car insurance(which I’m forced to by law) I’m already sinning so I should do other sins even though I can avoid them? Where is the logic in that?

Lmao
I agree with everything you said except the example you gave. We’re talking about usury, I’m saying why is one more easily excepted and the other condemned when it’s similar. I believe a mortgage is better for the the greater good, as in not living in ghetto areas and setting your family up to be more secure if you choose to continue to live in this country. That’s all.
It seems like you made up your mind abaayo. Us people on sspot aren’t knowledgeable enough in the deen to come to a conclusion in this topic. You might have to ask a scholar

MI

Ted Kaczynski respecter

My example is entirely apropos, if one had to eat non-halal food because of circumstances no one would say it’s okay to drink alcohol too. The reason we don’t look down on paying taxes as much as we do on taking loans is because one is circumstantial the other entirely voluntary, just like the example I gave. I understand wanting a better life but who could grant a better one than Allah? Put your trust in Allah and you will be doubly rewarded.

Somalis will say a mortgage is haram but commit fraud to gain benefits from the government, you can't make this up.

Buy property, and pass that down to your children to make your family wealthier and make their lives easier. I have my own place to live and won't be paying $1 of rent for the next 6 years as a student thanks to my family accumulating property.
:dzmxmmb::qri8gs7: Facts. Smart man.

Haaye by your logic you are saying since I pay indirect interest, have car insurance(which I’m forced to by law) I’m already sinning so I should do other sins even though I can avoid them? Where is the logic in that?
No, not the “other sins” I’m specifically speaking of usury. If you’ve already accepted that sin how can one condemn someone for the same thing? (But smarter, maslaha in Islam).

Forget how it’s all usury for a min, would you rather raise your kids in the ghetto inner city or in a nice home in the suburbs with a much better school and environment?

If I’m going to live in the west a house it is. Since were all doomed to pay riba I’d rather pay it for myself and family in a good environment and not pay someone’s else’s. No way. I already and always have donated to Islamic and Somali charities, I give money to every Somali masjid I come by and by accumulating wealth you set yourself and your family up to be more financially stable to do better things.

I think I’ve made my mind up about this.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

It seems like you made up your mind abaayo. Us people on sspot aren’t knowledgeable enough in the deen to come to a conclusion in this topic. You might have to ask a scholar
I know I just wanted to discuss it. I’m not either but have looked into it a little bit. A lot of the most famous scholars say everything is about “maslaha” the greater good.

It just seems like people are okay with the sin because they think it’s unavoidable (not true if it’s haram we can move) but condemn a mortgage which isn’t too different. And comes with tons of benefits.

Last edited:
My example is entirely apropos, if one had to eat non-halal food because of circumstances no one would say it’s okay to drink alcohol too. The reason we don’t look down on paying taxes as much as we do on taking loans is because one is circumstantial the other entirely voluntary, just like the example I gave. I understand wanting a better life but who could grant a better one than Allah? Put your trust in Allah and you will be doubly rewarded.
Yes only Allah swt. But could you not apply that to your being in the west and not some other Muslim country if not Somalia?

Just because I don't want to be renting until I'm 60, I'm a murtad?:bell:

I'm Muslim, don't know what this guy is on about.
Alhamdulilah

Imagine paying nearly 2k a month to pay off someone else’s mortgage? Where they can kick you out whenever they want. Whereas you can pay basically the same amount and own the place for you and your family in a few years. It’s ridiculous.

Idk about the rent to mortgage ratio in other countries but it’s about the same here.

Ngl if I save up enough I’ll start flipping properties too. Buying them and selling them or renting them out.

:manny:

Don’t confuse me with the many easily influenced gaalo raac on here either I’m extremely muslim.

MI

Ted Kaczynski respecter
Yes only Allah swt. But could you not apply that to your being in the west and not some other Muslim country if not Somalia?

Not sure if I can’t even go to Somalia permanently, I have Ethiopian and Swedish citizenship and that’s it.

But you can’t just uproot yourself and go to a Muslim area with no idea what to do for work and how to make money. Allah helps those that help themselves one doesn’t just throw oneself off a building and say I trust Allah.

Just because I don't want to be renting until I'm 60, I'm a murtad?:bell:

I'm Muslim, don't know what this guy is on about.

My bad akh seems I confused you for another user
:dead:

Exodus

Alienist
Alhamdulilah

Imagine paying nearly 2k a month to pay off someone else’s mortgage? Where they can kick you out whenever they want. Whereas you can pay basically the same amount and own the place for you and your family in a few years. It’s ridiculous.

Idk about the rent to mortgage ratio in other countries but it’s about the same here.
Some people are comfortable renting for the rest of their lives, I'm not. Living paycheck to paycheck is stressful, and I need assurances.

it’s like saying I’m drinking alcohol and praying 5 times a day. You cant mix haram with halal. Choose one way. Interest is xarballah

NotMyL

"You are your best thing"
VIP
No, not the “other sins” I’m specifically speaking of usury. If you’ve already accepted that sin how can one condemn someone for the same thing? (But smarter, maslaha in Islam).

Forget how it’s all usury for a min, would you rather raise your kids in the ghetto inner city or in a nice home in the suburbs with a much better school and environment?

If I’m going to live in the west a house it is. Since were all doomed to pay riba I’d rather pay it for myself and family in a good environment and not pay someone’s else’s. No way. I already and always have donated to Islamic and Somali charities, I give money to every Somali masjid I come by and by accumulating wealth you set yourself and your family up to be more financially stable to do better things.

I think I’ve made my mind up about this.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Did your family not have the option to rent in the suburb? I’m not here to judge I know a lot of homeowners including my family and they mostly got it through the “halal loan” way but now there are talks that they are not actually halal who knows at the end of the day it’s between you and Allah, it’s your intentions that count the most.

Not sure if I can’t even go to Somalia permanently, I have Ethiopian and Swedish citizenship and that’s it.

But you can’t just uproot yourself and go to a Muslim area with no idea what to do for work and how to make money. Allah helps those that help themselves one doesn’t just throw oneself off a building and say I trust Allah.

My bad akh seems I confused you for another user
:dead:
When I say Somalia im including Galbeed lol, I have family there too. Unless you and @NotMyL some amhara tuulo it’s the same idea.

Not really I know many families who left to places like Egypt and Malaysia.

Anyway I’m not trying to convince anyone brother I could be 120% wrong I just really wanted to see what others thought about my personal opinion or if I could learn something from you all.

thank you