Mortgage

I remember reading somewhere that when these type of controversial topics popped up, the ulama would use the concept of “the lesser evil”. Islam itself lets what’s prohibited to be lawful when it’s of necessity.

Religion aside, the housing market is higher than it ever was and economists have been predicting a recession for the past couple of years. In some cities the rent over a period of 40years is much cheaper than a mortgage, if the whole reason of buying a house is to provide a nest for your child after your passing then you might as well invest the difference between the mortgage payment you’d be paying if you had one and the rent into a etf or a mutual index fund since historical annual returns are just below 10%
Yes the maslaha, I’ve thought about it and based on where we live I think it makes more sense to buy property. If your kids are well off before you die you can sell and donate all of it, or pass it off to a needy family/relatives even for a time.

I don’t mean living inside the city too I mean outside of it in the suburbs where it makes better sense to raise children. It’s always cheaper there.

kickz

Engineer of Qandala
SIYAASI
VIP
I would look into those Islamic Mortgage companies atleast, like Guidance Residential.

NotMyL

"You are your best thing"
VIP
Obviously interest is haram, if you knowingly take loan with interest you are committing sin. What I don’t understand tho is how Somali sheikhs will tell you mortgage is bad but how do you think they acquired the masjids? You really think they dropped cash? They took a loan on it yet they make everyone feel bad for doing the exact same thing.

MI

Ted Kaczynski respecter
:urgh:

Why are got assuming the worst? What country do you live in? Let’s google what your taxes help to cover and discuss how halal it is.

I live in Sweden most of the time. I’m not assuming the worst but going by what you told me in that you are willing to disregard our religion for material, this is greed. I maintain that there’s a difference between having your taxes deducted as a subject of a Christian nation and voluntarily walking into a bank.

Basic

Passive Aggressive is the new Aggressive
VIP
Obviously interest is haram, if you knowingly take loan with interest you are committing sin. What I don’t understand tho is how Somali sheikhs will tell you mortgage is bad but how do you think they acquired the masjids? You really think they dropped cash? They took a loan on it yet they make everyone feel bad for doing the exact same thing.
That’s why I follow Islam and not sheikhs. Mortgage is haram like you mentioned so if a sheikh engages in it and makes people feel bad about it then he’s a hypocrite.

kickz

Engineer of Qandala
SIYAASI
VIP

Thats kind of a big assumption there, every Friday prayer you will see every sheikh from masjids across the country coming through begging for money for their latest Masjid project. I think they got that group economics/crowdsourcing thing down to a science lol

MI

Ted Kaczynski respecter

Where I live the community organized to pay for a location in one lump sum. Otherwise, they rent and the community pays for the masjid by donations. Where do you live where they’ve taken loans to pay for their masjid?

Last edited:

MI

Ted Kaczynski respecter
Thats kind of a big assumption there, every Friday prayer you will see every sheikh from masjids across the country coming through begging for money for their latest Masjid project. I think they got that group economics/crowdsourcing thing down to a science lol
Where I live the community organized to pay for a location in one lump sum. Otherwise, they rent and the community pays for the masjid by donations. Where do you live where they taken loans to pay for their masjid?

You beat me to it. Where does she live where they take loans subhanallah

NotMyL

VIP
Most of the big masjids aren’t paid off, I don’t know what you mean about assumptions. Name any big masjid in MN and I will tell you they aren’t fully paid off, that’s why they are still collecting money to pay it off as soon as possible.

I don’t see how you can avoid it living in NA. I don’t see how it’s any different from taxes that cover all sorts of haram things.

kickz

Engineer of Qandala
SIYAASI
VIP
I don’t see how you can avoid it living in NA. I don’t see how it’s any different from taxes that cover all sorts of haram things.

^Difference is taxes are not a choice, its law.

Most of the big masjids aren’t paid off, I don’t know what you mean about assumptions. Name any big masjid in MN and I will tell you they aren’t fully paid off, that’s why they are still collecting money to pay it off as soon as possible.

I don't see the correlation with donations, since they would still need money for stuff like day to day staff etc.

I live in Sweden most of the time. I’m not assuming the worst but going by what you told me in that you are willing to disregard our religion for material, this is greed. I maintain that there’s a difference between having your taxes deducted as a subject of a Christian nation and voluntarily walking into a bank.
Yet you voluntarily live in the “Christian” nation and pay taxes that cover all sorts of haram things? Wheres the difference? Idk why you’re coming for me personally and assuming I’m materialistic when all I’m saying is many* of the Somali families here that pay rent or take welfare are still supporting a lot of haram. Yet they’re not gaining anything but paying off someone else’s mortgage or worse, taking welfare (which includes taxes on alcohol and cigarettes).

I just think if you’re going to choose to continue to live here might as well make the smarter choice with good intentions, for family and inshallah to support who ever and whatever you can with it in the future.

Last edited:

NotMyL

VIP
You can’t avoid it but as @kickz mentioned one is something you have a control over and the other is something you are obligated to pay to follow the law of the country you live in. It’s like car insurance it’s absolutely haram no doubt about it but we don’t have a choice.

You can’t avoid it but as @kickz mentioned one is something you have a control over and the other is something you are obligated to pay to follow the law of the country you live in. It’s like car insurance it’s absolutely haram no doubt about it but we don’t have a choice.
But we do have a choice? If it’s haram we’re not forced to live here. We can make *hijra*. Once you ignore that choice how is it any different from buying your own home through a mortgage?

Who said one thing that’s haram is okay and the other isn’t?

NotMyL

VIP
But we do have a choice? If it’s haram we’re not forced to live here. We can make *hijra*. Once you ignore that choice how is it any different from buying your own home through a mortgage?

Who said one thing that’s haram is okay and the other isn’t?
You making it seem like it’s as easy as packing your bags and moving elsewhere, most of us are in the west not by choice but our parents seeking refuge.

MI

Ted Kaczynski respecter
Yet you voluntarily live in the “Christian” nation and pay taxes that cover all sorts of haram things? Wheres the difference? Idk why you’re coming for me personally and assuming I’m materialistic when all I’m saying is many* of the Somali families here that pay rent or take out a mortgage are still supporting a lot of haram. Yet they’re not gaining anything but paying off someone else’s mortgage or worse, taking welfare (which includes taxes on alcohol and cigarettes).

I just think if you’re going to choose to continue to live here might as well make the smarter choice with good intentions, for family and inshallah so support who ever and whatever you can with it in the future.

Yes, I agree with the overall point you’re making that in living in a Christian country you’re subjected to a lot of things you don’t agree with, even voting in elections or following the laws of a Christian country is considered by some Ulema as haram. But I didn’t choose to live here I was born here, but again I largely agree, for this reason and others I am making preparations to live in my little tuulo in Ethiopia inshallah.

That doesn’t mean that engaging in clear sin just because you live in a Christian country and by necessity engage in a *similar* sin is okay. For example let’s say you had to live in a Christian country where no halal food was available, so one eats non-halal, does that mean it’s okay to drink alcohol when water is readily available?

Last edited: