Language game and questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not from both but I understand some of your dialects both koonfur and waqooyi but I speak standard somali. I was raised in Kenya. So I'm not in your beef Waqooyi vs Koonfur:pachah1::hemad:

Standard Somali? there's no standard Somali, the standard Somali used to be Waqooyi dialect Siad Barre era, because when the Somali experts examined all the regions Waqooyi dialect was chosen to be the standard Somali, that's why all suugaan, heeso and gabayo is from waqooyi, All the media and radios hosts are Waqooyi people or chosen only Waqooyo dialects.

Also there's no other language in Waqooyi, all we speak is Somali. unlike Koonfur with many different languages and even dialcets in sub sections.

Dalmoor

Hiatus✅ 1/18/21- ?
VIP
Standard Somali? there's no standard Somali, the standard Somali used to be Waqooyi dialect Siad Barre era, because when the Somali experts examined all the regions Waqooyi dialect was chosen to be the standard Somali, that's why all suugaan, heeso and gabayo is from waqooyi, All the media and radios speakers are Waqooyi people or chosen only Waqooyo dialects.
Aa aah:idontlike: adeer let me not get into that beef. I said I speak Standard somali. Not koonfur italiano or Arabized Waqooyi:stevej:. Let's not commence a beef here:snoop:

So in this thread, we're gonna have some fun. I wanna know Somali language. It's informational questions about Somali language. The simplest will be I will show you pics of animals and you need to tell me their names in Somali. 3.......2........2........! It begins with.
This one is easy but since there are different dialects, I think there will be some new infos about their names
1.Antelope
View attachment 55205

2. Rhino. Kinda easy too, right?View attachment 55206
I like this one..:pachah1:. I wanna know who can say it in Somali language

3. Bear
View attachment 55207

if you don't know this animal, your somali card is over. Recharge it soon:chrisfreshhah:. Np y'll learn it here
4.Elephant
View attachment 55208

5. Sea lion:patrice:
View attachment 55209

And the last one from my side is
6. Warthog
View attachment 55211

So Y'all have any ideas to their names in Somali. I've got some answers, but Will wait for yours and see if they correlate and then give you my answer

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
1. Goodir
2. Wiyil
3. Madax kuti
4.Maroodi
5.no clue tbh
6. Dooofaar?( why is this word banned? had to put another O lol)

Dalmoor

Hiatus✅ 1/18/21- ?
VIP
1. Goodir
2. Wiyil
3. Madax kuti
4.Maroodi
5.no clue tbh
6. Dooofaar?( why is this word banned? had to put another O lol)
Yeah, also wondered about it too. It means foolish or some kinda dumb person. You know when Somalis get annoyed with someone, how they call people with that name. That's the reason maybe as this is somali site. Actually goodir is also warthog, I was missing it's name but you found it. Thanks bro and yeah it's also called doofaar too in some somali regions

Yeah, also wondered about it too. It means foolish or some kinda dumb person. You know when Somalis get annoyed with someone, how they call people with that name. That's the reason maybe as this is somali site. Actually goodir is also warthog, I was missing it's name but you found it. Thanks bro and yeah it's also called ******* too in some somali regions
yeah we call it doofa ar, interesting thing is there is this town called el dahir but was known as ceel doofaa r because the italians used to slaughter pigs there. El dahir is its name now tho since doofaa r in a city name sounds bad.

Dalmoor

Hiatus✅ 1/18/21- ?
VIP
yeah we call it doofa ar, interesting thing is there is this town called el dahir but was known as ceel doofaa r because the italians used to slaughter pigs there. El dahir is its name now tho since doofaa r in a city name sounds bad.
Oh:ooh: I heard about that place. Interesting place. Iiwad sheekada:manny:

one

ᶜᵃʷᵒ ᶜᵃʷˡᵒ
Guys I have found out both are called Libaax badeed. Some of them couldn't get their names due to their absense in Somali indian ocean. They both call it libaax badeed, understood?
@Sidi Dirir thanks bro and I asked Somebody too:trumpsmirk:
That's not true. Sea lion is NOT libaax badeed. It's called Geelmaanyo.
I have seen/heard some people from back home call it hoonbaro, but that's not correct either.

Dalmoor

Hiatus✅ 1/18/21- ?
VIP
That's not true. Sea lion is NOT libaax badeed. It's called Geelmaanyo.
I have seen/heard some people from back home call it hoonbaro, but that's not correct either.
I haven't heard geelmanyo but I heard gabarmaanyo and that is mermaid

one

ᶜᵃʷᵒ ᶜᵃʷˡᵒ
Biciid is oryx.
Libaax-badeed is shark.
Nibiri is whale.
Hoonbaro(there's also another word for it, but I can't remember it atm) is dolphin.
Anyone know these animals?

-Aargoosato
-Geel ka cabaadis
-Caasha badhi
-Malow
-Fiidmeer
-Xoor
-Jirjirroole
-Galow
-Fiin
-Gorayo
-Is xabaal
-Gafane
-Dibigaale

I can't count all of them.
What does Isxabaal look like?
Aargoosato = Lobster
Geel ka cabaadis, caasha badhi, malow are all different types of lizards. Others include mas-cagaley, qoroto etc.
Fiidmeer is bat
Xoor = Honey badger
Jirjirroole = Chameleon
Galow/Fiin= Never seen them, but I believe they're some sort of galliform birds. Gorayo is ostrich.
Gafane = Tick
Dabagaale = Squirrel

Dalmoor

Hiatus✅ 1/18/21- ?
VIP
What does Isxabaal look like?
Aargoosato = lobster
Geel ka cabaadis, Caasha badhi, Malow are all different types of lizards. Others include Mas-cagaley, qoroto etc.
Fiidmeer is Bat
Xoor = Honey badger
Jirjirroole = Chameleon
Galow/Fiin= Some sort of galliform birds. Gorayo is ostrich.
Gafane = Tick
Dabagaale = Squirrel
Geelka cabaadis aint lizard bro. It's an insect which has numerous legs and can bite. Kinda resembles centipede and millipede but it can bite

Isxabaal kinda looks like a beetle that digs in the sands and hides in it. Sometimes you can observe fine particles of sand made by it. Sometimes there's another one but that one looks like a big earthworm

one

ᶜᵃʷᵒ ᶜᵃʷˡᵒ
Geelka cabaadis aint lizard bro. It's an insect which has numerous legs and can bite. Kinda resembles centipede and millipede but it can bite

Isxabaal kinda looks like a beetle that digs in the sands and hides in it. Sometimes you can observe fine particles of sand made by it. Sometimes there's another one but that one looks like a big earthworm
It could be a regional thing, but there is a lizard called Geel ka cabaadiye.
I'm also aware of the insect one, we(to be more precise, my mom's side of the family) call it gab-gabley.

Thanks for the info on Isxabaal. What do you mean by fine particles of sand?
Can you provide some images of it..if possible.

Dalmoor

Hiatus✅ 1/18/21- ?
VIP
The fine particle of soil it makes
A-larval-pit-digging-antlion-Myrmeleon-sp-exposed-on-the-sand-surface-top-left-and.png
It could be a regional thing, but there is a lizard called Geel ka cabaadiye.
I'm also aware of the insect one, we(to be more precise, my mom's side of the family) call it gab-gabley.

Thanks for the info on Isxabaal. What do you mean by fine particles of sand?
Can you provide some images of it..if possible.
I haven't maybe heard about that lizard but I think you mean praying mantis known as habr ceynjis.
mantis-pr.jpg.860x0_q70_crop-scale.jpg

This are the pics I would likely show.
Geel ka cabaadis, Idk if you know it like that.
faunaBermudacentipede.jpg

Isxabaal=antlion
downloadfile.jpg

The other likely isxabaal is this one but kinda looks like worm. Couldn't get the perfect one but this is the closest one.
BrahminyBlindsnake1.jpg

But then every region has some altered Somali:gaasdrink:

one

ᶜᵃʷᵒ ᶜᵃʷˡᵒ
Praying mantis? Come on..I clearly said a lizard.
If you think "inaan iska hadlayo", here's something that proves my point:
  • Geel–ka-cabaadis[3]
  • [3] Xayawaan yar oo xamaaratada ka mid ah, oo marka uu geela qaniino aad uga cabaadisa.[source]
In case you don't know what a xamaraat is: http://www.wikiwand.com/so/Xamaarato

When I said it's regional thing, I meant that you probably can't find it everywhere in Somali lands. They usually inhabit the coastal areas. They're similar to scorpions in the sense that they usually hide under rocks and they got very sharp tails.
I saw one as a kid in a tuulo called Dhagax guduud. And they called it geel ka cabaadiye. It has another name as well, but I can't remember it atm. But I do know for sure that I wrote it down somewhere. I'll research my old diaries(Yes, I write diaries) and see if I can find it.

I would have posted some images but I have no clue what the lizard is called in English or Swedish. But I'm quite the stubborn one so, I'll do some research(on Wiki) for the next few hours. BRB

Dalmoor

Hiatus✅ 1/18/21- ?
VIP
Praying mantis? Come on..I clearly said a lizard.
If you think "inaan iska hadlayo", here's something that proves my point:
  • Geel–ka-cabaadis[3]
  • [3] Xayawaan yar oo xamaaratada ka mid ah, oo marka uu geela qaniino aad uga cabaadisa.[source]
In case you don't know what a xamaraat is: http://www.wikiwand.com/so/Xamaarato

When I said it's regional thing, I meant that you probably can't find it everywhere in Somali lands. They usually inhabit the coastal areas. They're similar to scorpions in the sense that they usually hide under rocks and they got very sharp tails.
I saw one as a kid in a tuulo called Dhagax guduud. And they called it geel ka cabaadiye. It has another name as well, but I can't remember it atm. But I do know for sure that I wrote it down somewhere. I'll research my old diaries(Yes, I write diaries) and see if I can find it.

I would have posted some images but I have no clue what the lizard is called in English or Swedish. But I'm quite the stubborn one so, I'll do some research(on Wiki) for the next few hours. BRB
Sorry if I offended you, I just thought that you were talking about Praying mantis.. Yeah, Nice info btw. Me too, some of em don't know what they're called in eng I found the o ne I aas talking about tho

So in this thread, we're gonna have some fun. I wanna know Somali language. It's informational questions about Somali language. The simplest will be I will show you pics of animals and you need to tell me their names in Somali. 3.......2........2........! It begins with.
This one is easy but since there are different dialects, I think there will be some new infos about their names
1.Antelope
View attachment 55205

2. Rhino. Kinda easy too, right?View attachment 55206
I like this one..:pachah1:. I wanna know who can say it in Somali language

3. Bear
View attachment 55207

if you don't know this animal, your somali card is over. Recharge it soon:chrisfreshhah:. Np y'll learn it here
4.Elephant
View attachment 55208

5. Sea lion:patrice:
View attachment 55209

And the last one from my side is
6. Warthog
View attachment 55211

So Y'all have any ideas to their names in Somali. I've got some answers, but Will wait for yours and see if they correlate and then give you my answer

Do we even have bears in Somalia

:cosbyhmm:

one

ᶜᵃʷᵒ ᶜᵃʷˡᵒ
Sorry if I offended you, I just thought that you were talking about Praying mantis.. Yeah, Nice info btw. Me too, some of em don't know what they're called in eng I found the o ne I aas talking about tho
I'm not offended..
No, but that's how we call it in here. Mostly qurbo joog. I think it was like prolly made in the 90s when Somali immigrated into abroad. Well, the more you know:manny:
Madax kuti was definitely not coined in the 90s lol. I think it's quite an ancient name. Somalis probably came across the African bears who used to live in North Africa. They went extinct only recently, about 150 years ago.

Tigers aren't native to Africa and yet we a have for them. Why's that?:zhqjlmx:

Dalmoor

Hiatus✅ 1/18/21- ?
VIP
I'm not offended..

Madax kuti was definitely not coined in the 90s lol. I think it's quite an ancient name. Somalis probably came across the African bears who used to live in North Africa. They went extinct only recently, about 150 years ago.

Tigers aren't native to Africa and yet we a have for them. Why's that?:zhqjlmx:
Yeah, that's how it goes too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending