Status
Not open for further replies.
Somali fishermen complain about illegal vessels

Some fishermen in Somalia are being pushed towards piracy, because illegal fishing off the Somali coast is damaging their livelihood.

They say flotillas from countries such as
Yemen, Iran, and South Korea are plundering their country's rich fishing grounds.

Al Jazeera's Mohammed Adow reports from Bossaso in Somalia's semi-autonomous Puntland region.

Reported by

Mohammed Adow

Link: http://www.aljazeera.com/video/news...complain-illegal-vessels-170525183533330.html

This is what we should be worried about, not crying over dhegcas that are polluting and stealing our resources. Of course, the cabiids will never talk about this.

I swear with a strong government Somalis wouldn't be so Arab obsessed.

This is happening the most in Bosaso/Eyl. Puntland need to stop selling illegal fishing permits to these vermin. Fish is the most import resource we have since all our livestock is dying.

Gambar

VIP
This is happening the most in Bosaso/Eyl. Puntland need to stop selling illegal fishing permits to these vermin. Fish is the most import resource we have since all our livestock is dying.
I know, but when you have an incompetent government full of corruption this is what happens.

Livestocks (plethora), Agriculture (8 southern Regions perfect for farming) and Fishery (long coastline) = Somali holy trinity that will ensure food security and self sufficiency. Until we take advantage of these 3 blessings by the almighty, we'll continue to be at the mercy of foreigners for assistance (how about some expired grains?) and exploitation.

Corruption = punishable by death, I couldn't care less if hundreds of thousands upon thousands of vermins have to be executed, irrespective of clan affiliations, they must be hung.

Human

Bellum omnium contra omnes
La ilaha Yemen?

I regret what I said. I shall talk about North Korea from now on.
giphy.gif

Thailand, Egypt and China are also part of the illegal fishing. This is not old news, this is the reason why piracy started. There is nothing we can do because there is no navy. I heard that afweyne used to allow some European countries to dump nuclear waste during the later years of his reign. Our waters have been targeted and exploited to levels which are now beginning to damage the environment of the fish.

Prince of Lasanod

Eid trim pending
Thailand, Egypt and China are also part of the illegal fishing. This is not old news, this is the reason why piracy started. There is nothing we can do because there is no navy. I heard that afweyne used to allow some European countries to dump nuclear waste during the later years of his reign. Our waters have been targeted and exploited to levels which are now beginning to damage the environment of the fish.
You heard wrong because that only first happened directly after the collapse of the government in the Ali Mahdi/Aideed infighting era.

There's no kind of regulation or protection when it comes to Somali waters, it's open season.

And to make matters worse, our coral reef is dying too

There's no kind of regulation or protection when it comes to Somali waters, it's open season.

And to make matters worse, our coral reef is dying too
Quite the opposite. A lot of these illegall trawlers actually have permits from Puntland that has been altered to let them continue on for years. It's sold/signed by the Minister of Fisheries, and then given to a Somali middleman in Dubai.

Another tactic is the one used by one of Gaas' close friend, who operated the Puntland Coast Guard only he would illegally give out permits for a nice price. (This is all coming from a UN report on illegal fishing in Somalia, corruption isn't just limited to PL but this sort is more prominent there according to the UN)

A big problem with the illegall fishing, is that they use nets that scrape and ruin the waterbed, destroying the ecosystem even further.

Gibiin-Udug

Crowned Queen of Puntland. Supporter of PuntExit
Puntland didn't sell anything. Stop obsessing over Puntland even during Ramadan. Save us your faux outrage, because we are not buying what you're selling buddy..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending