Brain science & why young, non-religious, Somali Americans join ISIS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duchess

HRH Duchess of Puntland, The Viscount of Garoowe
VIP
Can brain science tell us more than the Quran about why young, non-religious Somali Americans would want to kill and die in Syria for ISIS?

abdi_nur-620x412.jpg

What do Tylenol, schoolyard bullies, chocolate and our self-image have to do with young Somali-Americans from Minnesota ending up in Syria fighting for ISIS, or our ability to prevent a Paris-like terrorist attack from happening in the U.S.? According to social psychology and the brain science that supports it, the answer is, quite a lot.

Until the terrorist attacks in Paris, and the more recent killings in San Bernardino, California, shifted media and law enforcement attention away from the Somali-American community in Minnesota, this Muslim enclave received by far the most scrutiny of any Islamic population in the U.S. In 2013, the FBI stated that for several years, preventing the potential radicalization of Somali-American youth has been its highest priority in Minnesota. Given the continued marginalization of Somali-Americans in the U.S., this community remains a bellwether for trends in Islamic radicalization and how to prevent ISIS from fomenting terrorism in the U.S.

But why would mostly non-religious Somali-American adolescents and young adults want to kill and die in Syria for ISIS? Many pundits and politicians in the U.S. have posited that it is fundamentally the fault of the Islamic faith. They claim that the apparently violent teachings of the Quran have led directly to Somali-Americans becoming terrorists. But despite these assertions, a look at the human brain through the lens of social psychology, and the supporting brain science, can probably provide us with a much better understanding of why young Somali-Americans would want to become jihadists than the pages of the Quran.

What social psychology tells us is that the problem that we face in the Somali-American community in Minnesota is largely an issue of disconnected youth in the midst of an acute crisis of social identity rather than one of widespread religious fanaticism or economic frustration. In their search for identity and a group that will accept them, young Somali-Americans have been falling prey to sophisticated recruiters who have been selling them a lie about their religion.

Social psychology also makes clear that our sense of self is largely a product of our social and cultural groups, which gives us as a society more power than we might think to remedy the problem of homegrown Islamic terrorism in the United States and to prevent a repeat of the Paris attacks on American soil.

So what is social psychology? It is the study of how our thoughts, feelings and, ultimately, our actions and identities, are influenced by our social interactions and the people around us. Within this field, the supporting brain science looks at the actual functioning of the brain to provide a more complete understanding of how it chemically responds to the same inputs.

Social psychology and the supporting brain science show us that over millions of years, the human brain has been hard-wired for contact and connection with other people, not as a luxury, but as an absolute necessity for survival. In effect, the human brain has developed to become a social organ. The connection between mother and infant forms the basis for our social bonds, and it all grows from there.

As humans evolved, our brains developed certain mechanisms and survival strategies that prompt us to form and maintain social connections and to try to avoid their loss. In terms of our brain chemistry, we are programmed to feel discomfort and distress when we lose social connections and to experience contentment, happiness and security when we have positive interactions or form new bonds.

Almost all of us know the sorrow, pain and grief that we feel when an important person in our lives passes away, or a relationship ends. This is nature’s way of letting us know that social loss is potentially dangerous to us. It is also meant to motivate us to try to form new social connections and bonds to replace the ones that have been broken. But it isn’t just the loss of a loved one, or a failed relationship, that can hurt. As we all know, a condescending glance from a stranger — real or imagined — is often enough to ruin the day.

Why would the perception of rejection by a stranger upset anyone? It isn’t because we are being oversensitive or immature; it is because our social brains are programmed to respond to even meaningless instances of real or imagined rejection as a significant threat to our place in the group, and therefore as a painful event. This is how important social connections are to us on a biological level, and have historically been for our survival. The pain and happiness that we feel because of positive or negative social interactions is evolution at work, making sure that we are safe within our group and are not left to fend for ourselves.

Given that we are designed to experience pain as a result of even minor negative interactions, it should come as no surprise that our response to much more direct and potentially threatening instances of rejection can leave us with deep and lasting trauma. Schoolyard bullying is one of the most studied and best understood examples of direct social threat. This kind of attack represents a grave danger to our place in our group and our sense of self because our brains perceive the non-intervention of others as a rejection by them.

For creatures that are built to connect and to develop an identity through our interactions with others, an attack of this kind can be incredibly painful and potentially devastating for our self-image. On a repeated basis, this type of negative feedback about a person’s identity can have tremendous repercussions. This is why, as social psychologist Matthew Lieberman notes, children who are routinely bullied are seven times more likely to be depressed as adults and four times more likely to commit suicide than the general population.

But perhaps the most important point that social psychology makes about how our brains register positive or negative interactions with others is that they aren’t just experienced as passing or illusory emotional responses. Social interactions and signals about our standing in our group are experienced in a real, physical and lasting way. Research has proven that on a chemical level, positive social interactions register in the brain in the same manner as eating chocolate and that negative social interactions are experienced in the same way as physical pain. The corollaries for our brains are so strong between social and physical experiences that taking Tylenol can actually relieve social pain, such as rejection or loss. In effect, the same medicine that helps us get over a headache can also help us get over a broken heart and that bar of chocolate really can make us feel better.

But social experiences don’t just cause pain or happiness, they actually help form our identities. To a greater extent than we might like to admit, we use what other people think about us to develop our self-image. Reflected Appraisal Generation, as this phenomenon is known, is one of nature’s ways of ensuring our survival. It uses our very sense of self, along with the pain and happiness that we experience through our social interactions, to ensure that we maintain good standing in our group. Whether we like it or not, we are social, group-oriented creatures by design.

The rest: http://www.salon.com/2015/12/20/can...would_want_to_kill_and_die_in_syria_for_isis/

Sultana

On Hiatus
Woow, this article was really long. Anyway, I agree with some of it, but I don't understand how this addresses the issue of the radicalization of Somali American youth specifically.

um well, somalis are bloodthirst savage beasts who were bound to kill no matter the circumstances.
somalis killed more than, it killed for religious reasons

Duchess

VIP
Woow, this article was really long. Anyway, I agree with some of it, but I don't understand how this addresses the issue of the radicalization of Somali American youth specifically.

Is there something unique about the radicalization of Somali American youth? Perhaps it's as simple as repeated societal rejection and a lack of identity?

The Pew findings make clear that to some degree the “schoolyard bullies” like Trump, Carson, Maher, Harris, Geller and others really do speak for the rest of us. We know from the brain science research that this type of societal, or group rejection, is deeply painful and can have a devastating impact on a person’s sense of self when it is experienced on a repeated basis, which is what we see happening to young Somali-Americans.

Devaluing of this kind, or identity destruction of the type that is occurring in the U.S., represents one of the gravest threats to an individual´s social brain, which interprets these signals as meaning that he or she has no group or identity, and has been left alone in a dangerous world. This is the very situation that millions of years of evolution have programmed us to avoid. When society is telling young Somali-Americans that they have no place in our country and to go away, what are they to do besides reach for the Tylenol?

The answer is that they will most likely seek to develop new connections and to find groups where they will be accepted and valued. In other words, they will look for a community that will give them a new, positive, social identity. Driven by our social brains, this is what we, as humans, are hard-wired to do.

But why would young Somali-Americans seek connections within the fold of jihadists when Islam wasn’t really that important to most of them? The answer, again, lies in part in the science of the brain as a social organ. With remarkable consistency, we see the same response in young, secular Muslims who have been drawn from across Europe and other parts of the developed world to radical Islam and jihad.

@Jasmin96 Why doesn't the brainwashing work on all of us?

Is there something unique about the radicalization of Somali American youth? Perhaps it's as simple as repeated societal rejection and a lack of identity?

@Jasmin96 Why doesn't the brainwashing work on all of us?

I deleted my response :gnzbryw:. But anyways, the answer is simple. Human beings are different. Some are easily swayed than others, especially girls. Many girls are also naive. They believe anything. If people are young, and uneducated\ignorant.. then you can pretty much convince them to do and believe in literally everything anything.

@Jasmin96 you didnt clearly read the post.
the article SAID they were marginalised and disconnected from their american society.
social psychology and braib science revealed why somali americans youth fight for ISIS.
you must be smokin weed or some other shit

I deleted my response :gnzbryw:. But anyways, the answer is simple. Human beings are different. Some are easily swayed than others, especially girls. Many girls are also naive. They believe anything. If people are young, and uneducated\ignorant.. then you can pretty much convince them to do and believe in literally everything anything.

I will also add that "not having an identity" is nonsense excuse especially for Somali-Americans. Everyone in the US are pretty much immigrants besides Native Americans. Everyone is American over there.. in many other places.. you are simply somali whether you are first-generation or second-generation.

This is my theory; These kids are young, ignorant, and vulnerable.. extremist take advantage of this

Last edited:
@Jasmin96 you didnt clearly read the post.
the article SAID they were marginalised and disconnected from their american society.
social psychology and braib science revealed why somali americans youth fight for ISIS.
you must be smokin weed or some other shit

Nah, I am not smoking it at the moment. Btw, that excuse is nonsense. America is very diverse. If most of these kids were from Europe which is predominantely white, I would have understood it. Also, cant people always find others who share their own values, beliefs, tradition, religion to hang out with?.. So feeling"disconnected and marginalised in their society" , thus joining ISIS does not make any sense at all.

Last edited:

Duchess

VIP
I deleted my response :gnzbryw:. But anyways, the answer is simple. Human beings are different. Some are easily swayed than others, especially girls. Many girls are also naive. They believe anything. If people are young, uneducated.. then you can pretty much convince them to do anything.

I'm pretty sure gender is irrelevant or else the overwhelming number of extremist recruits would be females. Would you agree that someone who faces social rejection and devaluation is more susceptible to emotional manipulation?

I will also add that "not having an identity" is nonsense excuse especially for Somali-Americans. Everyone in the US are pretty much immigrants besides Native Americans. Everyone is American over there.. in many other places.. you are simply somali whether you are first-generation or second-generation.

This is my theory; These kids are young, ignorant, and vulnerable.. extremist take advantage of this

Young, non-religious, Somali Americans lack an identity of their own. Many try to fit in with urban/black community and fail. You can not compare their issues with those of other immigrant communities.

I'm pretty sure gender is irrelevant or else the overwhelming number of extremist recruits would be females. Would you agree that someone who faces social rejection and devaluation is more susceptible to emotional manipulation?

Yes, I do. But, somali-americans feeling that they are rejected by society does not make sense. Not at all. When I visited the US, it was very diverse. So many different kinds of people over there. Over here, you can literally count on one hand how many blacks\asians I see in a week. Yet, you dont see me joining ISIS. I have read many stories of many people joining ISIS, and most of them led a normal, average teenage life. They had friends, and they were not bullied. They changed to become extremist very quickly.

They are teenagers who are vulnerable and confused in general. They are in a age where they dont know who they are. Thus, it will be easier to brainwash them. Instead of experimenting wih drugs, partying, becoming teenage mothers etc, they choose another path that will cost them their life..

Young, non-religious, Somali Americans lack an identity of their own. Many try to fit in with urban/black community and fail. You can not compare their issues with those of other immigrant communities.

They already have an identity. They are Americans with immigrant somali parents. Why do they feel the need to emulate a culture that dont belong to them to begin with?

Also, I am pretty sure no one really cares about this in the US, because they are used to black people and other immigrants. If you dont fit in the american society, then you wont last one minute over here. So, it is a good thing that these kids are joining ISIS. They are weak.. Only the strongest survive. It has always been that way, and it will always be that way.

Sultana

On Hiatus
I'm not saying that they're wrong for saying that someone who faces social rejection and devaluation is more susceptible to emotional manipulation, I agree with that. But I don't know how the idea social rejection alone would lead to the radicalization of Somali Muslims in larger proportions than other nationalities because everyone faces social rejection to some degree.

I think the article needs to address the specific issues that are affecting Somali Americans in MN (or the lives of these individuals specifically). It's not even an issue endemic to Somali Americans because Somalis from other places like Ohio, Seattle, San Diego, etc. don't feel inclined to join ISIS in large numbers.

Hopefully, my words are somewhat coherent because I'm really tired right now.

Duchess

VIP
Yes, I do. But, somali-americans feeling that they are rejected by society does not make sense. Not at all. When I visited the US, it was very diverse. So many different kinds of people over there. Over here, you can literally count on one hand how many blacks\asians I see in a week. Yet, you dont see me joining ISIS. I have read many stories of many people joining ISIS, and most of them led a normal, average teenage life. They had friends, and they were not bullied. They changed to become extremist very quickly.

They are teenagers who are vulnerable and confused in general. They are in a age where they dont know who they are. Thus, it will be easier to brainwash them. Instead of experimenting wih drugs, partying, becoming teenage mothers etc, they choose another path that will cost them their life..

Have you even bothered to read the article?

Going back to the Somali-Americans adolescents in Minnesota, we effectively see the same longing for identity that Nawaz felt and an environment similar to the one that he encountered.

Within the Minnesota school system, anti-Somali and anti-Muslim discrimination have been rampant. In 2010, the Department of Education began an investigation because of the level of animosity toward Somali-American students in certain Minnesota school districts.

In the communities where the Somali-American population is concentrated in Minnesota, Somali-owned businesses, homes and religious centers have all been vandalized. The same message that has been spray-painted on the property of Somali-Americans, “GO HOME,” has been repeated dozens more times on locally hosted websites and blogs that state with more vitriol the same sentiment, “Can we please just deport these savages back to Africa?”

If we take into account the general anti-Muslim sentiment expressed in the political space, the overwhelmingly negative images of Muslims portrayed on television and in film, and the realities of everyday life for young Somali-Americans in Minnesota, it becomes clear why many would be looking with the same desperation as Nawaz for some kind of relief from the pain of their environment and for a new sense of self.

Those with a high self-esteem and strong sense of identity, including a religious identity, are less susceptible to brainwashing. Almost all of the recruits were non-religious before joining these extremist organizations. There was a void they felt was filled by joining ISIS and other organizations. Seeing more blacks and Asian's around their neighborhood would have done nothing for them.

Have you even bothered to read the article?

Those with a high self-esteem and strong sense of identity, including a religious identity, are less susceptible to brainwashing. Almost all of the recruits were non-religious before joining these extremist organizations. There was a void they felt was filled by joining ISIS and other organizations. Seeing more blacks and Asian's around their neighborhood would have done nothing for them.

I read it properly now, instead of skimming through it. and it makes sense...especially the part when the author say that we are group-oriented creatures by design. I guess if they dont fit in, they will go to the group that will accept them..

Last edited:

Duchess

VIP
I'm not saying that they're wrong for saying that someone who faces social rejection and devaluation is more susceptible to emotional manipulation, I agree with that. But I don't know how the idea social rejection alone would lead to the radicalization of Somali Muslims in larger proportions than other nationalities because everyone faces social rejection to some degree.

I think the article needs to address the specific issues that are affecting Somali Americans in MN (or the lives of these individuals specifically). It's not even an issue endemic to Somali Americans because Somalis from other places like Ohio, Seattle, San Diego, etc. don't feel inclined to join ISIS in large numbers.

Hopefully, my words are somewhat coherent because I'm really tired right now.

MN has the largest Somali population by far so I think it's a given that most of the Somali recruits would be from there. I agree with what you're saying, but I think this issue was covered by the authors explanation of societal rejection and isolation. A large part of the problem is the lack of integration of Somalis in Minneapolis. I've never seen a Somali community in the US so disconnected from the rest of society.

They already have an identity. They are Americans with immigrant somali parents. Why do they feel the need to emulate a culture that dont belong to them to begin with?

Also, I am pretty sure no one really cares about this in the US, because they are used to black people and other immigrants. If you dont fit in the american society, then you wont last one minute over here. So, it is a good thing that these kids are joining ISIS. They are weak.. Only the strongest survive. It has always been that way, and it will always be that way.

I don't know what you're on about. Clearly non-Muslim American's care to make a distinction between Somalis and other 'black' people.

@Duchess this article is spot on about the problem.
its not the first time this have been brought up
the media has been talkin this issue esp about the arabs from north africa who lived in france at the time of charlie hebdo attacks and blamed on the french gov for radicalizing them. also its happening now in kenya cuz of the recent crackdown of kenyan somalis in eastleigh and garrisa.
you prolly know the event that enfolded in westgate mall nairobi.
i wont be surprised if theres terror attacks in nairobi any moment.

@Sultana

Lack of identity is very much the huge factor in this, although there are other factors like others highlighted, this one seems to explain why in larger proportions to other ethnicities/nationalities.

Like I said this is no different to why somali North American youth are more prone to urban vices (drugs,gang life violence). Same reason lack of cultural identity. So they attach themselves to all sorts of destructive crap to fill that void.

That and the fact that they are irreligious makes them prone to pseudo religious brainwashing.

Bahal

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
VIP
Exactly, they cultural orphans like you say who have severe indentity issues and latch on to anything they can find. They prolly ashamed of being Somali another common legacy of the civil war so they go hardcore with an Islamic identity that'll accept them.

MN has the largest Somali population by far so I think it's a given that most of the Somali recruits would be from there. I agree with what you're saying, but I think this issue was covered by the authors explanation of societal rejection and isolation. A large part of the problem is the lack of integration of Somalis in Minneapolis. I've never seen a Somali community in the US so disconnected from the rest of society.

I don't know what you're on about. Clearly non-Muslim American's care to make a distinction between Somalis and other 'black' people.

I posted this before reading the article properly :abuxyga:. My bad... but you dont need someone telling you that isolation will lead to kids joining ISIS .. we already know it.

We see it in Europe where the lack of Muslim integration in some areas of Europe is probably the greatest danger that Europe will face . We already saw what happened in Paris. They put them in their own ghettoes, and dont hire muslims. Shit is crazy over here. It is a huge link between Islamist terrorism and a lack of assimilation. I believe that somali parents should be more involved in their kids life, so the kid can face societal rejection better.

Last edited:
Exactly, they cultural orphans like you say who have severe indentity issues and latch on to anything they can find. They prolly ashamed of being Somali another common legacy of the civil war so they go hardcore with an Islamic identity that'll accept them.

Yeah true but keep in mind that studies have highlighted that being more religious and having a solid religious upbringing makes you less susceptible to radicalization and pseudo religious brainwashing.

So this article seem to highlight why Non-Religious somali Americans go off to die for Isis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending