Berbera Port Construction Project

ZodiaK

VIP
1625651408680.png

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
Extremely good development and all but I am disappointed that it is not dual-carriageway.

If Berbera is going to become the economic hub that we all want it to be, then it requires wider roads. Sharing a lane with trucks going to and fro the seaport will lead to road accidents.

Extremely good development and all but I am disappointed that it is not dual-carriageway.

If Berbera is going to become the economic hub that we all want it to be, then it requires wider roads. Sharing a lane with trucks going to and fro the seaport will lead to road accidents.

That should be the next thing on the to do list

ZodiaK

VIP

It is going to be a dual lane carriageway but in phases. They couldn't do it all in one go as they were under pressure to open up the first 2 lanes. People were getting sick and tired of using the temporary dirt road with their vehicles taking a beating for over a year. Once the first 2 lanes are complete they will start on the second 2 lanes (the temporary dirt road).

dual.jpg

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
It is going to be a dual lane carriageway but in phases. They couldn't do it all in one go as they were under pressure to open up the first 2 lanes. People were getting sick and tired of using the temporary dirt road with their vehicles taking a beating for over a year. Once the first 2 lanes are complete they will start on the second 2 lanes (the temporary dirt road).

View attachment 191942

Yeah I noticed the dirt roads and was wondering if it was by stages but I got the impression from ppl that this was the finished project.

If they're gonna do it in stages then that's perfect alx. Amazing project.

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP
You can see the progress from here, mashallah. I can't wait to see how the city will turn out in a couple of years.

ZodiaK

VIP

DP World Berbera will roll out a new Cargo Community System (CCS) to improve data exchange following the opening of a new container terminal earlier this year.

The new container terminal, with a deep draft of 17m and a quay of 400m, hosts three new Ship-to-Shore (STS) gantry cranes and eight Rubber-Tyred Gantry (RTG) cranes – and increases the Port’s container capacity from current 150,000 TEU to 500,000 TEU annually.

Phase two of the terminal’s development is now underway.

In an interview with PTI, Supachai Wattanaveerachai, CEO of DP World Berbera, said the CCS being developed in the second phase of its expansion will simplify data exchange amongst shipping lines and agents, customs, and other port stakeholders.

Connectivity

In meeting the increased digital demand the operator will introduce an automated gate system for the trucking community, using AI and IoT recognition for truck plate and container numbers.

“The automation improves the truck turnaround time by reducing manual administrative processing currently being done in pre-gate and gate-in,” the CEO noted.

The new container terminal is equipped with a full fibre-optic Local Area Network (LAN) and 5G outdoor wireless coverage in shore and yard activities, Wattanaveerachai said.

The terminal’s new integrated Terminal Performance Analyser system, a dashboard system determining a terminal’s KPIs, availability of resources and business activities, has “established visibility on [DP World’s] business units,” he noted.

The terminal will also benefit from cloud-based Zodiac Terminal Operating System (TOS), using new features Zodiac AI and Zodiac Expert to effectively forward operations for incoming cargo and reducing errors in the terminal yard.

Wattanaveerachai said the IT focus on the new terminal allows rapid response against disruptive supply chain events such as COVID-19, the Suez Canal incident, and Yantian Port crisis.

“Overall, having such an executive view, allows quick decision-making and agility to address any type of disruption to the supply chain to facilitate economic activities of the markets highly dependent on the port,” he said.

ZodiaK

VIP
Traders in Doolow and Belethawa in Gedo region have opted to source for food commodities from Berbera port via Ethiopia instead of Mogadishu due to increased checkpoints and high taxation along Mogadishu - Belethawa trade Corridor. This has led to increased lead-time from 7 to10 days. (WFP)

Trending