Are Somali women marrying out more than Somali men?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been nearly 20 years since Somali refugees first began settling in Minnesota, but there is little data on Somalis and interracial marriage in the state. Hassan Mohamud, the imam of Minnesota Da'wah Institute in St. Paul, said he is officiating more interracial marriages these days at his mosque, especially between Somali women and white men.

"We see more Somali females marrying outside of the Somali culture, compared to the Somali men marrying outside of the culture," Mohamud said.

Somali women like Idil Mohamed are breaking the social norms of marriage and cultural traditions in their community.

Donna Gabaccia, director of the Immigration History Research Center at the University of Minnesota, said the pattern of women being the first to marry outside the group is similar to that of other immigrant groups.

"Today it's a very strong and pronounced pattern that girls are more likely to marry out than boys," she said. "I don't think that really anyone in the scholarly world completely understands that phenomenon or why that should be."

source: https://www.mprnews.org/story/2011/07/31/somali-interracial-marriage

It's been nearly 20 years since Somali refugees first began settling in Minnesota, but there is little data on Somalis and interracial marriage in the state. Hassan Mohamud, the imam of Minnesota Da'wah Institute in St. Paul, said he is officiating more interracial marriages these days at his mosque, especially between Somali women and white men.

"We see more Somali females marrying outside of the Somali culture, compared to the Somali men marrying outside of the culture," Mohamud said.

Somali women like Idil Mohamed are breaking the social norms of marriage and cultural traditions in their community.

Donna Gabaccia, director of the Immigration History Research Center at the University of Minnesota, said the pattern of women being the first to marry outside the group is similar to that of other immigrant groups.

"Today it's a very strong and pronounced pattern that girls are more likely to marry out than boys," she said. "I don't think that really anyone in the scholarly world completely understands that phenomenon or why that should be."

Maybe in USA but in Nordic countries we keep us to our self

Marquis

Highly Respected
VIP
No men marry out far more often which is the case in most cultures as there is less stigma attached to it. Just look at how you incels cry when seeing one Xalimo with a ajnabi meanwhile you do the Mourinho slide celebration when a Abdi gets with any foreign ting, no matter how average she is

Chun Li

under construction 😈💖
No men marry out far more often which is the case in most cultures as there is less stigma attached to it. Just look at how you incels cry when seeing one Xalimo with a ajnabi meanwhile you do the Mourinho slide celebration when a Abdi gets with any foreign ting, no matter how average she is

Wallahi billahi some somali girls/boys are embarassinggg. They could get married to a Brazilian man/woman from the favela & they’d be excited lmaooo

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
Ancedotal. TBH I haven't seen a rise but I have noticed an obbession in documenting every case of outmarriage they see online. Who cares.

This topic as been done to death. At this point its like beating a dead horse.

I think that the fact that Somalis love documenting interracial relationships is just down right embarrassing.

The fact that they vilify Somali girls that marry out is also incredibly embarrassing.

All in all, everyone needs to get a grip.

Men marry out more. But marrying out is not new now and Somalis are far more knowledgeable in this matter. It’s really not as exciting as it cracks out to be and the culture clash is a big problem. Two of my close friends married polish and Bengali and both divorced and now married Somalis. They lost the first kids because the mother bounced and the kids don’t speak any somali or have any connection with Somali culture

Octavian

Hmm
VIP
it ain't anybodies issue who niggas marry unless its ur family members or friends and even then beyond giving advice it ain't ur bissnacks.

I thinkI see agenda tht imam have tht he only want white men to marry somali woman only and doesn't want somali woman to marry somali man tht I see agenda going on here why he is only said he is doing interracial marriage for only white men and somali woman there agenda pushing tht somali woman shouldn't marry somali man
And why somali parents letting their daughters goto mosque and let some random imam and imam tht those parents let tht imam find husband for their daughters where are the fathers why arent somali looking husband for their daughters why let some imam tht won't let you find his daughter or daughters husband
This hate for white or somali woman if those somali woman their then I am not against but if it is agenda push on telling those not marry somali man and are being manuplation through hadith and if only those are targeting only Somali woman to marry white man and vise verse isn't happening like not letting somali man marry their white woman tht is muslim or converted to Islam and is muslim
This is just my opinion how I seee this interracial being push on especially on somali woman only targeting somali woman so those can't or don't want somali man I just think away cuz I see it tht away

Hassan mahat

I karbash wahabist salafis daily.
Somalis marrying out is good, it kills qabyalad. I advise anyOne to marry who he/she loves. If your soul mate happens to be ajnabi, nothing wrong about it.

I genuinely believe that some of you guys wake up and fantasize about somali interracial couples.
Don't I see agenda behind and I think tht imam and many like tht imam only target somali woman to manuplation through hadith and tht imam only want somali woman for only white men tht means sticma being pushed tht can't marry somali man idk why but this how I see plus how can fathers allow their to let non mahram to find husband why can't the father do tht and pair theirs daughters to good somali man

salma saluuni

For the thrill💃🏽
Don't I see agenda behind and I think tht imam and many like tht imam only target somali woman to manuplation through hadith and tht imam only want somali woman for only white men tht means sticma being pushed tht can't marry somali man idk why but this how I see plus how can fathers allow their to let non mahram to find husband why can't the father do tht and pair theirs daughters to good somali man
Please aboowe use full stops and commas.

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
Somalis marrying out is good, it kills qabyalad. I advise anyOne to marry who he/she loves. If your soul mate happens to be ajnabi, nothing wrong about it.

Outmarriage isn't a pancea nor an antidote for qabilism. Rather it is an individual choice one enters into of their own accord.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending