A colored clan map of Somalia (1955) by I.M Lewis and Muuse Haji Ismaciil Galaal

Thegoodshepherd

Galkacyo iyo Calula dhexdood
VIP
I have crudely painted this map before, but I put about 40 minutes of effort into cleaning it up. It should be useful for anyone interested in learning the geography of Somali clans. There are some small mistakes and parts of it are not up to date, but it is roughly accurate.

This is the base map that everyone since has used to make clan maps.

I might continue to add maps to this thread as time goes.

Going off those fantasy population estimates deviating wildly from Afweyne regime and colonial era figures, we will have to wait for verification. Its not trust but verify but dont trust this map till its verified.

The source of the map is the same source that contradicted the 1960 election, colonial era estimates and even Afweyne regime numbers

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

1627539639746.png

source: School of Advanced Taariikh Gacan-ku-rimis ah and unverified Geography

Last edited:

exposedmeat

i do it anyway i like
going off those fantasies that wildly deviated from Afweyne regime and colonial era figures, we will have to wait for verification. Its not trust but verify but dont trust this map till its verified.

The source of the map is the same source that contradicted the 1960 election, colonial era estimates and even Afweyne regime numbers
u guys blame everything on kacaanist era, don't u think it kinda sad

Lol using these centuries old clan map won't change the landscape of today which changed tremendously.

I guess this is an copping mechanism for those who lost lands to go back to the past for reconciliation.

exposedmeat

i do it anyway i like
Lol using these centuries old clan map won't change the landscape of today which changed tremendously.

I guess this is an copping mechanism for those who lost lands to go back to the past for reconciliation.
which clan lost the most land? i know one thing that somali galbeel dir lost a lot of land to oromos i don't know about south somali galbeed tho

which clan lost the most land? i know one thing that somali galbeel dir lost a lot of land to oromos i don't know about south somali galbeed tho

I won't mention clans but only an ignorant gullible fool would believe this outdated clan map to be reality of Todays landscape.

There is a reason why Somali today has Clan states because certain clans won those landscapes to be rightfully theirs in terms of ruling.

exposedmeat

i do it anyway i like
I won't mention clans but only an ignorant gullible fool would believe this outdated clan map to be reality of Todays landscape.

There is a reason why Somali today has Clan states because certain clans won those landscapes to be rightfully theirs in terms of ruling.
do u know something about south somali galbeed, i heard they another lang like af maay maay
have some info?

To the extent OP map matches IM Lewis map there should be huge exchanges of territories in Mudug/Galgaduud and old AlataGiuba/BassoGiuba

reerBookh made some gains. Caynaba had a little change. Hararga didnt have much of a change in clan territories probably its mostly clans changing identity/affiliation. You can bet Jaarso and even outside of Hararga Caruusa would affiliate with a DDS if self-determinaiton was on the table. I count the Gari/Gurgure etc who join Oromiya as confused dual identity Jabarti or Samaale clans who would affiliate with DDS or even a SoomaliweynRepublic under the right circumstances

do u know something about south somali galbeed, i heard they another lang like af maay maay
have some info?

You mean Koonfur Galbeed State?

It's an Rahanwein State and we all know Rahanwein means mixed folks, you have many Darood/Hawiye and Dirs originals who are now part of that federation and call KG state as their home, KG state leaders are composed of 2 main ones Beesha Haarin and Leysan, Haarin is Laftagareen and Leysan is Abu Mansuur who is imprisoned by Farmaajo.

In all KG state is an welcoming state and their language Afmaay is only spoken in Bay region's Baidoa.

exposedmeat

i do it anyway i like
You mean Koonfur Galbeed State?

It's an Rahanwein State and we all know Rahanwein means mixed folks, you have many Darood/Hawiye and Dirs originals who are now part of that federation and call KG state as their home, KG state leaders are composed of 2 main ones Beesha Haarin and Leysan, Haarin is Laftagareen and Leysan is Abu Mansuur who is imprisoned by Farmaajo.

In all KG state is an welcoming state and their language Afmaay is only spoken in Bay region's Baidoa.
i mean this region, the clan that lives there is garre right they have their own lang or dialect
1627541303302.png

FBIsomalia

True Puntlander
VIP
I have crudely painted this map before, but I put about 40 minutes of effort into cleaning it up. It should be useful for anyone interested in learning the geography of Somali clans. There are some small mistakes and parts of it are not up to date, but it is roughly accurate.

This is the base map that everyone since has used to make clan maps.

I might continue to add maps to this thread as time goes.

It seems isaaq lose lands to daroods in Sanaag. Cause ceerigaabo it mix city. In bossaso there is two clans never hear about like wabeneya iyo kaptanle,are they MJ or darood?.

In Mudug, lines similar to today but leelkase isnt there. :fantasia2: .

Helios

Certified Liin Distributor
AQOONYAHAN
VIP
GALAAL made this?

How did he perform so poorly in demarcating his own region

Habar Awal don't even border Hargeisa on the map when we literally live in a solid chunk of the city and all the lands west and directly north of the city are HA too

Arap/Ayub are counted as HY for some reason, and the Ciidagale literally stretch into the Haud up to Daroor and border Awaare. Yet they're displayed as encircled around Hargeisa by HY.

HJ don't even border Burco on this map either lol
:drakewtf:

convincation

Soomaali waa Hawiyah Iyo Hashiyah
VIP
i mean this region, the clan that lives there is garre right they have their own lang or dialect
View attachment 195323
That region isn’t just garre. It’s a diverse region of mainly hawiye/hawiye affiliated clans. The main ones are degodia (saransoor), ajuran (jambeele), murule/jidle (gugundhabe) and garre. All these clans speak somali specifically maxa tiri except for the garre and a few ajuran and degodia subclans but these are a small minority. Within the garre theres two subclans, quranyow and tuuf. Quranyow are dir in origin and not garre but they married into garre and are maternally garre and identify as such now. The Quranyow live in the manderra area and speak only somali. The tuuf however live deep into moyale/marsabit which is a boran (oromo) dominated region. A few centuries back the boran became the dominant power in the region, dominating the local somalis. The local somalis as a result agreed to migrate from the region, which is why you have a large garre community in lower shabelle. A group of the tuuf decided to stay and fight but eventually were overpowered and clientised as well as some ajuran and degodia. These garre were linguistically influenced by the boran and began speaking “afaan garre” which is basically just boran with a few somali words here and there. The people themselves still identify as somali however and are mostly now bilingual and speak both standard somali and afaan garre.

Trending