Why doesn't Puntland use the Osmanya script?

They Even Had School In Harar Meant To Be The New Capital Of Somaliyee
:cosbyhmm: :cosbyhmm:

I know a man who was tasked with the upkeep of a library completely in Osmanya and he did a lot of work translating books, manuscripts documents etc. From other languages to Somali in that script

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
the topic was script change. It seems you don't know how to socially manoeuvre and talk about more pertinent issues without accusing other posters of qabyaalad and the like. Don't know if you do this because you think it makes you look intellectual or it makes you feel better than other frequent users of this cesspit

notice how any thread you're involved in becomes roundabout finger pointing and accusations. This thread for example went from a civil discussion to qabiil bashing due to your need to put on a moral cape where it was undue

Go outside. Get a breath of fresh air. Make some friends. Read a book. Get a job. Touch grass.

Thank you for the psych evaluation, I’ll keep it in mind.

Now that you got that off your chest, let me re-explain my point that nearly everyone on this thread understood even if they disagree with me.

PL doesn’t have the money for this project, if you want to throw money around, throw it on more useful things.

I didn’t accuse every Osmanya supporter as a qabiilist. I even stated that I don’t consider OP @Apollo a qabiilist for his views.

If you ever see me stating that PL should spend money on something that is useless then you are well within your rights to call me a hypocrite.

Until then, I suggest you put your psycho-analysis skills to good use elsewhere.

:samwelcome:

Thank you for the psych evaluation, I’ll keep it in mind.

Now that you got that off your chest, let me re-explain my point that nearly everyone on this thread understood even if they disagree with me.

PL doesn’t have the money for this project, if you want to throw money around, throw it on more useful things.

I didn’t accuse every Osmanya supporter as a qabiilist. I even stayed that I don’t consider OP @Apollo a qabiilist for his views.

If you ever see me stating that PL should spend money on something that is useless then you are well within your rights to call me a hypocrite.

Until then, I suggest you put your psycho-analysis skills to good use elsewhere.

Alright I'll clarify it for you one more time kid

You've never mentioned vaccination programs, bread subsidies or anything important except when replying to people talking about topics that interest them. Never of your own accord.

It's therefore self evident that the struggles of people back home are not in fact a interest of yours but a tool to act like a moral compass

This is what makes you a Munaafiq

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP

You've never mentioned vaccination programs, bread subsidies or anything important except when replying to people talking about topics that interest them. Never of your own accord.

It's therefore self evident that the struggles of people back home are not in fact a interest of yours but a tool to act like a moral compass:samwelcome:

Yes because I never advocate for PL to spend its money on useless stuff.

But if I ever ask PL to spend money somewhere, best believe it will be one of those two areas I mentioned.

How are you unable to understand this basic point. The fact you are using condescension in your tone as well.

:dead:

Yes because I never advocate for PL to spend its money on useless stuff.

But if I ever ask PL to spend money somewhere, best believe it will be one of those two areas I mentioned.

How are you unable to understand this basic point. The fact you are using condescension in your tone as well.

Alright buddy 👍

Dalalos_ibn_Adali

Republican
VIP
The same can be said for any Somali region.

We produce nothing but the livestock that happens to be walking around our nation.

Every gobol in Somalia is deadweight in one way or another.
every gobol is not the same saxib, whether its in terms of economics or security. Bosaso in the coming decades need to transform into a blue economy if its to remain viable economic hub, and it needs to be much closer to the FGS which can get it the blue economy status taxing the crazy amount of cargo by passing its port annually by tapping into the East-West trade, this is something the UAE aims to halt and acquire for itself. In the coming decades Bosaso will not be a viable export/import for Somalis as it is now.

Hassan Garguute Buldanana

#Puntlandfirst
VIP

It's therefore self evident that the struggles of people back home are not in fact a interest of yours but a tool to act like a moral compass

This is what makes you a Munaafiq

That’s the problem with this negroe. He has an agenda and hides behind stuff. You will never see him make development threads or even contribute to the many we have in the development section.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
That’s the problem with this negroe. He has an agenda and hides behind stuff. You will never see him make development threads or even contribute to the many we have in the development section.

I literally outlined a full revenue raising plan for a future Puntland government including essential services to spend it on.

What’s worse is that you liked my post.

Horta, do you have dementia?

My first term will focus on improving PL’s Human Development Index with improving quality of life esp for the young.

- Introduce cigarette and khat importation tax levied at 2 USD to every 1 USD of product.

NB: A pack of 20 cigarettes in PL cost $1USD. That means the PL government can make $2 USD off each pack bought in the state.

- Use the money from the khat tax to initiate “a better PL programme”. Each xafaad in the major cities will have a public park and playground as well as at least one public library in each city.

- Use the money from the cigarette taxes to build computer labs and renovation works in schools.

- This policy is borrowed slightly from @DR OSMAN but I would levy a tax on soft drinks in PL. Most are imported from SL or Konfuur. Use that money to purchase ambulances and set up a 999 or 000 number for people to call ambulances.

- Maalinta Isxilqaan, a day every month in which school kids do community work. Each school and each grade will have a specific task be it road-cleaning, garbage collection or looking after the elderly.

- Introduce a road safety programme. Driving under the influence of khat is banned and rest stops to be built on each major highway.

C9E3E016-C053-44C0-B754-3698662FDCF1.jpeg

Wadaad writing is the most historically, religiously, and culturally suitable option for any script change.

As for the argument that it does not come from Somalis, note that all scripts in Europe, Africa, and the whole of West and South Asia until Indo-China derive from Anceint Egyptian Hieroglyph. All of Europe uses either the Latin or Cyrillic scripts which come from the Romans and Greeks and eventually trace their way back to Egypt.

Somalis have used Wadaad writing and Arabic historically so we should continue this. Like Shimbiris said, Children in Dugsis already know the Arabic script and a few tweaks will make it compatible for the Somali tongue.

Persian and Urdu aren’t even Afro Asiatic languages yet they use a tweaked version of the Arabic script, why shouldn’t we too?

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
II. Non-Arabic Scripts 1.

'Ismaaniya

The well-known 'Ismaaniya (Osmaniya) or ' Somali writing' was invented about 1920 by 'Ismaan Yuusuf Kenadiid, brother of 'Ali Yuusuf (Daarood, Majeerteen),1 Sultan of Obbia in Somalia. The script was noticed by Marcello Orano, and later by Dr. Cerulli.2 It has been widely publicized, by Dr. M. Maino who has given the fullest descriptions,3 and by 'Ismaan Yuusuf's son, Yaasiin (the well-known authority on Somali language and literature) in Somalia. The orthography is little known and virtually never used in the British Protectorate * although it is widely known and quite often used in Somalia. Even in Somalia, however, its currency falls short of that of the different varieties of ' wadaad's Arabic' writing. Phonetically 'Ismaaniya is highly accurate.5 There are new symbols for each of the 22 Somali consonants except the glottal stop, which can be represented by hamza. In practice it is usually omitted. The ten vowels, five long and five short, are represented by eight new symbols and the consonants for y (ii) and w (uu). There are also ten numerals.6 The most striking feature of the script is, of course, that in contrast to Arabic it is written from left to right. With the exception of the glottal stop (if used) the symbols bear little or no resemblance to any Arabic characters. In contrast to the strict phonetic character of the letters, 'Ismaaniya has certain definite etymological or quasi-etymological features.7 Thus the article is usually written separately from the noun which it qualifies, as in geed ha ' the tree ', aqal hiisa ' his house ', etc. Vowel mutations which occur in speech on the addition of certain suffixes8 are not always phonetically represented. Some writers of 'Ismaaniya write etymologically, aabbe hii for aabbihii ' the father ', magaalo da for magaalada ' the town '. Similarly an apostrophe is inserted in 'Ismaaniya to denote an absent consonant in a suffix mutation as e.g. maga°a for maga'a ' the name', where the masculine article has been changed to ain in agreement with the final ain of the unqualified noun.1 Similarly 'Ismaaniya writes geeVa for geela ' the camels '. The modification of the feminine article ta when attached to a final I to ska is written, etymologically, as in <[u%ul ska for the pronunciation (fahusha ' the charcoal' ; ul sha for usha ' the stick', etc.8 The mutations which occur with the final consonants of verb stems in the third person feminine and second person of the reflexive conjugation are written etymologically, e.g. ([aladtay for ([alattay ' you are/she is born', etc. These features are generally absent in the Gadabuursi script as written by its inventor, Sheikh 'Abdurahmaan, although he sometimes writes the article suffix separately from the noun which he qualifies.
1642204210685.png

Last edited:

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
2. The Gadabuursi Orthography

This script was devised in about 1933 by Sheikh cAbdurahmaan Sheikh Nuur of the chiefly lineage (Reer Ugaas) of the Gadabuursi clan.2 Sh. cAbduranmaan's father, Sh. Nuur, is a well-known figure and was for many years Government Qadi of Borama District in the west of the Protectorate. After some years as a teacher of religion in the Education Department, Sh. 'Abduranmaan succeeded his father as QdM at Borama and holds this post at present. He is a learned man with a wide knowledge of the history of his clan.3 The script is known and used only by a small circle of the Sheikh's associates in Borama and outside the Gadabuursi country very few people have heard of it. Unlike 'Ismaaniya the script has not been taken up seriously by any protagonist of written Somali. Nor does Sh. 'Abdurahmaan himself regard his invention as a contribution to the problem of finding a national orthography for Somali. For these reasons the script has languished in obscurity and the few modifications which would make it phonetically as accurate as 'Ismaaniya have failed to be introduced.4 The script has no character for the glottal stop (although hamza could be employed as in cIsmaaniya) and there are 21 consonants :

1642204526522.png

1642204557777.png
In contrast to 'Ismaaniya the consonants y and w are not used as vowels except in diphthongs. Short o is normally written asu ( ^C" ) and there is no differentiation between a and aa, and e and ee. These failings could very easily be remedied with only slight modifications in the script. As with 'Ismaaniya the script is written from left to right and the article suffixes are sometimes separated from their nouns. But the other etymological features of 'Ismaaniya are lacking and in this respect the script is potentially phonetically more accurate than 'Ismaaniya. None of these Somali orthographies take account of tone (which is not always important)1 but they could easily be written with tone marks where necessary. Six texts written by Sh. 'Abduranmaan are published here with transliterations (in italics) and phonetically more accurate transcriptions (in roman type). Fairly literal English translations accompany the texts.2​

1642205450827.png

1642205468172.png

1642205493999.png

1642205494100.png

I just did a bit more digging and I found these sources online. It would be nice to at least post it here for record's sake.

Here is the source for both experts presented above and here:

I.M. Lewis (1958), The Gadabuursi Somali Script, Bulletin of the School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London, Vol. 21, pp. 134–156.

GemState

36/21
VIP
somalis should just use an Arabic script to transcribe somali or just use Arabic.

It'd be far more useful than the status quo tbh

Nah there needs to be a universal script

Yeah, why don't we all combine the best parts from each script and make a universal one? I don't see Somalis trying to learn another script from a opposing clan, it would be a good compromise for everyone. Somalis are quick learners when it comes to languages, we can actually do it.

Diaspora really have an inflated view of states in Somalia. The budget of the reason is less than the turn over of a small-sized US company, they can barely pay their workers let alone enforce social change.

Far Cismaaniya was never really used plus has a way too much Latin influence with like half of its characters coming from Latin.

I see Somalis promoting it as a way to feel better about having a writing system before colonisation.

I once was like this as well. :farmajoyaab:

Trending

Latest posts