Why doesn't Puntland use the Osmanya script?

Like half of the letters are based on Latin ones.

That's because those consonants and vowels are found in the Somali language.
Even the Arabic language shares many consontants and vowels with the Latin Alphabet. Same goes for many other languages in the world, we're all human so of course there will be overlap.

It's not like Af-Soomaali has unique sounds (as far as I'm aware).

That's because those consonants and vowels are found in the Somali language.
Even the Arabic language shares many consontants and vowels with the Latin Alphabet. Same goes for many other languages in the world, we're all human so of course there will be overlap.

It's not like Af-Soomaali has unique sounds (as far as I'm aware).
lol, I don't mean the sounds of the letters.

What I mean is how the letters are written, the shape of some of the letters are identical to some Latin letters and obviously was some influence of Latin on the shape of those letters.

For example, how A in Far Cismaaniya is S which is obviously based off Latin and that seems the way for close to half of the letters having some Latin equivalence.

lol, I don't mean the sounds of the letters.

What I mean is how the letters are written, the shape of some of the letters are identical to some Latin letters and obviously was some influence of Latin on the shape of those letters.

For example, how A in Far Cismaaniya is S which is obviously based off Latin and that seems the way for close to half of the letters having some Latin equivalence.

I think it looks pretty cool personally and it's quite easy to write as it has an "Italic" shape, which comes natural to people when handwriting. Also the letters are meant to be spaced apart, which makes for easier reading, even if someone has bad handwriting.

5393793_1pb145_jpeg47b70886f3c7103263331900bf82be31

dippArticle-13.jpg

Apollo

VIP
I think it looks pretty cool personally and it's quite easy to write as it has an "Italic" shape, which comes natural to people when handwriting. Also the letters are meant to be spaced apart, which makes for easier reading, even if someone has bad handwriting.

dippArticle-13.jpg

Haters gonna hate,

Lol, this thread got shared on some other social media platforms trying to insult us as delusional supremacist Puntlanders. :damn:

I could see the cope coming from them. Imagine if it actually gets implemented, you'd get 1000x more cope. :dead:

Haters gonna hate,

Lol, this thread got shared on some other social media platforms trying to insult us as delusional supremacist Puntlanders. :damn:

I could see the cope coming from them. Imagine if it actually gets implemented, you'd get 1000x more cope. :dead:

I've noticed Somalis are very strange, petty people who act like crabs in a barrel. At no point did you suggest implementing Osmanya across Somalia, you only suggested bringing it back to Puntland which was home to the script before Colonialism!

Somalis don't know how to mind their own business and whenever someone mentions Puntland, they start frothing at the mouth with rage. What is 'qabiilist' or 'divisive' about bringing back a Somali script made by a Somali patriot who was part of the first (and only) Somali Patriotic Party (SYL)?

But they have nothing to say about a LATIN script that was introduced through the violent subjugation of Somalis! That's how sick these people are.

dippArticle-13.jpg
I also think it looks pretty cool, would have been better if there could have been some alterations of some of the words to make them more unique and less Latin influenced.

I had a brief stint at uni where I tried learning some of the old Somali scripts, even made a few Youtube videos of Somalis songs with Far Cismaanya transliteration, its a cool part of Somali history been the first true Somali writing script and the 3rd oldest African script (lol) but Somali literature and writing has more pressing problems that need to be resolved rather than just yet teaching an old script.

I also think it looks pretty cool, would have been better if there could have been some alterations of some of the words to make them more unique and less Latin influenced.

I had a brief stint at uni where I tried learning some of the old Somali scripts, even made a few Youtube videos of Somalis songs with Far Cismaanya transliteration, its a cool part of Somali history been the first true Somali writing script and the 3rd oldest African script (lol) but Somali literature and writing has more pressing problems that need to be resolved rather than just yet teaching an old script.

For me it would be a future project in a wealthy nation, it's a dream scenario to have a Somali script. Even if it's a totally new script, it's a matter of principle for me as I want to get rid of as much Colonial influences as possible. I don't think a nation can be healthy unless it promotes and protect its heritage.
Even Europeans fight each other to make sure they don't get dominated by another. The French for instance, refuse to speak English and their TV shows are dubbed in French, even though many can speak English.

Apollo

VIP

In all seriousness, a mixture between Osmanya, Borama, and Kaddare script should be created by Somali linguists from the 4 of the 4.5 clans and promoted. That is the only thing that can potentially take off all over Somaliweyn.

For me it would be a future project in a wealthy nation, it's a dream scenario to have a Somali script. Even if it's a totally new script, it's a matter of principle for me as I want to get rid of as much Colonial influences as possible. I don't think a nation can be healthy unless it promotes and protect its heritage.
Even Europeans fight each other to make sure they don't get dominated by another. The French for instance, refuse to speak English and their TV shows are dubbed in French, even though many can speak English.

I agree it would be nice but also very difficult but definitely doable that's if Somalis actual put time in defending their language and history.

I love the French System of defencing their language, I have no idea why Somalis don't do that same, it always annoys me to see things that have Somali equivalence written in English. There needs to be a law that forces Somali businesses, entertainment and pretty much citizen to use Somali and Somali only.

In all seriousness, a mixture between Osmanya, Borama, and Kaddare script should be created by Somali linguists from the 4 of the 4.5 clans and promoted. That is the only thing that can potentially take off all over Somaliweyn.

throwing-shade-shade-detected.gif

But I agree, Somali ethnics should write a Somali language. No Patois speakers in the linguist room.

distraction-water.gif

That would be nice but when have Somalis ever agreed to something together.:bell:

I remember a funny story where I showed my friend a Somali book I was reading, and he said to me don't you guys use a different script and he searched Google and brought up a picture of Far Cismaanya. Walahi that moment hurt me. :meleshame:

Apollo

VIP

The 4.5 system is pretty based. It would keep ethnic Somalis in power no matter what happens (e.g. if we joined Ethiopia or the Swahili Union - small chance this happens).

My only issue with it is not giving ethnic Somali caste minorities enough rights. Don't care for the rocks, people of light, and Oromo migrants.

The 4.5 system is pretty based. It would keep ethnic Somalis in power no matter what happens (e.g. if we joined Ethiopia or the Swahili Union - small chance this happens).

My only issue with it is not giving ethnic Somali caste minorities enough rights. Don't care for the rocks, the people of light, and Oromo migrants.

I appreciate the 4.5 system now as well, because the way some people move and make up fake history to discredit Somali ethnics is disturbing. There was an Eritrean lady who passed away who used to claim Somalis were dumb nomads and that foreigners built Somalis and were the 'real Somalis'. She even had a Somali political party, even after being this hateful!

*I'll stop here for now, don't want to derail further.

Trending