Why doesn't Puntland use the Osmanya script?

Too much indeed. And yes, he was the Cisse Ugaas in 1885:

Even had a proper lamagoodle name. Rooble. :banderas:
btw do Sudanese also use this kinda suits?
1642185085220.png

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
btw do Sudanese also use this kinda suits?
View attachment 211982
I don't know, walaal. I only know that them and Chadians did generally wear the white robes we and Ethiopians did, that was also often worn like a Roman toga:

The Tobe, or Abyssinian “Quarry,” is the general garment of Africa from Zayla to Bornou. In the Somali country it is a cotton sheet eight cubits long, and two breadths sewn together. An article of various uses, like the Highland plaid, it is worn in many ways; sometimes the right arm is bared; in cold weather the whole person is muffled up, and in summer it is allowed to full below the waist. Generally it is passed behind the back, rests upon the left shoulder, is carried forward over the breast, surrounds the body, and ends hanging on the left shoulder, where it displays a gaudy silk fringe of red and yellow. This is the man’s Tobe. The woman’s dress is of similar material, but differently worn: the edges are knotted generally over the right, sometimes over the left shoulder; it is girdled round the waist, below which hangs a lappet, which in cold weather can be brought like a hood over the head. Though highly becoming, and picturesque as the Roman toga, the Somali Tobe is by no means the most decorous of dresses: women in the towns often prefer the Arab costume,—a short-sleeved robe extending to the knee, and a Futah or loin-cloth underneath. -First footsteps in East Africa

We East Africans need to revive this shit, wallahi. It really brings the old Nile civilizations to mind.

I don't know, walaal. I only know that them and Chadians did generally wear the white robes we and Ethiopians did, that was also often worn like a Roman toga:

The Tobe, or Abyssinian “Quarry,” is the general garment of Africa from Zayla to Bornou. In the Somali country it is a cotton sheet eight cubits long, and two breadths sewn together. An article of various uses, like the Highland plaid, it is worn in many ways; sometimes the right arm is bared; in cold weather the whole person is muffled up, and in summer it is allowed to full below the waist. Generally it is passed behind the back, rests upon the left shoulder, is carried forward over the breast, surrounds the body, and ends hanging on the left shoulder, where it displays a gaudy silk fringe of red and yellow. This is the man’s Tobe. The woman’s dress is of similar material, but differently worn: the edges are knotted generally over the right, sometimes over the left shoulder; it is girdled round the waist, below which hangs a lappet, which in cold weather can be brought like a hood over the head. Though highly becoming, and picturesque as the Roman toga, the Somali Tobe is by no means the most decorous of dresses: women in the towns often prefer the Arab costume,—a short-sleeved robe extending to the knee, and a Futah or loin-cloth underneath. -First footsteps in East Africa

We East Africans need to revive this shit, wallahi. It really brings the old Nile civilizations to mind.
We Must Indeed Next Dhaqaan Function

We Coming In Like

Screenshot_20220114-193241_Chrome.jpg

BobSmoke

Flying over your heads
Mudug. I get your point, you are making sense alongside the others, it's not practical right now, but I saw this topic as a dream scenario/ideal future scenario.

I am looking at it from a Cultural preservation angle for a hypothetical 'ideal' Somalia, where the country is wealthy enough to maintain several languages.

Arabs were also colonised, but they kept their native script alongside foreign scripts. But then again, they had more economic power and of course Arabic is far richer in every way than any other script on earth.
Aaaah, got you.

I hope InshaAllah we can get to that stage when this can be a consideration

reer

VIP
Somalis have our own region too, you know? We are very much of a cultural, genetic and biogeographic zone with other Horners. We should just pivot more toward other Horners, particularly the Muslim ones, and Sudan to form our own sort of cultural block and identity. Cushites, Ethiosemites, Sudani-Arabs and Nubians...
we dont have any neighboring friendly cousins to appropriate from. arabs are our only decent choice.

MT Foxtrot

Anti-qabil
Nationalists are equally as bad as qabiilists.

Nationalists care about the destiny of an entire nation whereas qabilists limit their concern to their qabil. A lot of our political dysfunction can be explained by this distinction. Political leaders in Somalia see themselves as the representatives of a qabil rather than a constituency and, as such, pursue policies that benefit those groups even when they negatively impact other Somalis. Therefore, I think nationalism is better than qabilism.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
Nationalists care about the destiny of an entire nation whereas qabilists limit their concern to their qabil. A lot of our political dysfunction can be explained by this distinction. Political leaders in Somalia see themselves as the representatives of a qabil rather than a constituency and, as such, pursue policies that benefit those groups even when they negatively impact other Somalis. Therefore, I think nationalism is better than qabilism.

Sadly, qabiilism is one of those things I feel like you get almost forced into even if you're not qabiilist. It's like being an cadaan guy who thinks he can be color blind and ignore the very real realities of "race" in America. Yeah, qabiil is nonsense and we're pretty much genetically identical people speaking mere regional dialects of the same language but qabiil is real in the sense that it is sadly real in many people's heads. And it affects the way they practice politics and business.

Whether or not you're Warsangeli or Habar Awal can be very relevant depending on where in the north of Somali territory you are in terms political or business opportunities, local jobs, contacts... and most of these federal states are literally built around qabiils and are the successors of qabiilist militias in some cases. It's a social reality one can't escape. I think it's best to just focus on educating geeljires, increasing development and local wealth and hoping that with fuller bellies and wiser minds most will see this stuff for the idiocy it is and slowly start repping their tuulo, magaalo and gobols.

Sadly, qabiilism is one of those things I feel like you get almost forced into even if you're not qabiilist. It's like being an cadaan guy who thinks he can be color blind and ignore the very real realities of "race" in America. Yeah, qabiil is nonsense and we're pretty much genetically identical people speaking mere regional dialects of the same language but qabiil is real in the sense that it is sadly real in many people's heads. And it affects the way they practice politics and business.

Whether or not you're Warsangeli or Habar Awal can be very relevant depending on where in the north of Somali territory you are in terms political or business opportunities, local jobs, contacts... and most of these federal states are literally built around qabiils and are the successors of qabiilist militias in some cases. It's a social reality one can't escape. I think it's best to just focus on educating geeljires, increasing development and local wealth and hoping that with fuller bellies and wiser minds most will see this stuff for the idiocy it is and slowly start repping their tuulo, magaalo and gobols.
Nothing Wrong Reppin Your Tuulo Magaalo Tho Is A Diffrent Story

sad-teary-eyed.gif

Nalaaye floxks

Life is like a sandwich, the bread comes first💰💯
Osmanya is BS and impractical.

There is a reason why the SYL, UNESCO and the Kacaan all disapproved of this script.

People only like Osmanya because they see it as part of their “illustrious qabiil history”.

Imo we should either stick with the Latin script or go back to the wadaad script that Somalis used for centuries.
Kacaan = Covid

Hassan Garguute Buldanana

#Puntlandfirst. #PIM
VIP
I’m pissed because my state could spend that money on food or vaccines.

Non-PLers don’t care because it isn’t their money to begin with.
No one said implement it this very minute. Something for the future. I have started learning it and at first, it looked hard to me but it’s not.

Periplus

Minister of Propaganda
VIP
No one said implement it this very minute. Something for the future. I have started learning it and at first, it looked hard to me but it’s not.

I would support it when Somalia becomes a developed country like Japan but I would never support it until then.

MT Foxtrot

Anti-qabil
I think it's best to just focus on educating geeljires, increasing development and local wealth and hoping that with fuller bellies and wiser minds most will see this stuff for the idiocy it is and slowly start repping their tuulo, magaalo and gobols.

I've said something similar here:

They know any representative system will lead to people gradually moving away from qabilism as a organising principle in society. Democracy, when combined with the economics of this century, tends to atomise people into specific economic clusters e.g. young professionals, the working class, PMCs, women etc. These are differences that cannot be articulated in traditional clan-based social organisation. In a multi-party democracy, where the goal is to be elected, there would be parties that specifically cater towards each group (with some considerable overlap) e.g. Labour v. Conservatives in Britain. This process of social maturation, driven by representative democracy, is an anathema to these qabil-addled odayaal.

It might be naïve but one can only hope that we mature out of qabil.

Farmajo supporters are the worst qabilists, you just hide behind nationalism. There is not a bigger qabilist in Somali politics than farmajo, he’s whole strategy is based on turning clans against each other for his benefit.

Periplus

Minister of Propaganda
VIP

Somalis won’t develop until they realise that their tuulos are just as underdeveloped as another qabiil’s tuulo.

Puntland is closer in development to Gedo than to any of Somalia’s neighbouring countries.

When Somalis compare their tuulos to Nairobi, Addis etc instead of another qabiil’s tuulo is when we will develop.

Dalalos_ibn_Adali

Republican
VIP
Nah there needs to be a universal script
I disagree, I believe in the union 100% but I like the idea of sending the low IQ clannist on these type of fools errand mission, its better than them fucking up our real politics like its some sort of game, nah, let them spend their toxic energy elsewhere, I also like the idea of creating other avenues for the backward inbred freaks among us, sports like football should be secretly subsidised by the state. I would do anything to distract the politic obsessed masses from real politics, we are in a sad state of affairs currently, the freaking mentally deranged thinks one day he will become president, that is why we are in a mess, so I support the idea of federalism, creating mini-presidents and other ventures, but I wholeheartedly support the real state the central state, and the real politics and its consequences should be protected from these deranged idiots.

Periplus

Minister of Propaganda
VIP
Keep it real and say what you really mean. You want to retain one script for the country. Be honest and i will at least understand it.

Yeah I’m not denying that, I don’t want to have two scripts.

What I said was that I would only consider Somalia changing scripts if we were like Japan, a developed egalitarian equitable country.

I never said I wanted two separate scripts in Somalia.

MT Foxtrot

Anti-qabil
Farmajo supporters are the worst qabilists, you just hide behind nationalism. There is not a bigger qabilist in Somali politics than farmajo

I grant you that there are qabilists who support Farmaajo because he's from their clan but not all of us are like that. The entire time I've been on this forum I've actively fought against qabilism from either side.

Trending

Latest posts