Why do a lot of Somali girls marry men that are not on their level?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AbdiFreedom

Scientologist | Against Trudeau's antiBlack racism
Staff Member
Saxib, I wish we could actually get government housing like our parents. Most professional young couples are paying 1500-1800 on private renting which is only a 1 bed. That’s In London. We simply can’t get easy access like our parents generations. That is why I told you to update your information.

Home ownership in the UK is low due to reer UK being more religious. We don’t believe in haram mortgages. Reer Canada aren’t as religious. Also, Islamic mortgages aren’t as easy and straightforward and many believe those are haram as well.

Also, the GenZ and young Millinaials are still young and many still live at home which is wise as if you’re not married, you should save as much as possible. Gone are the days we can fall back on government housing.

I know plenty of Gen Z and millennial marriages in the UK and they live in guri dawlad apartments. They had to move to another part of the city though. Other Muslim communities in the UK have bought homes. The Pakistanis have a 58% home ownership rate in the UK as of 2018. Bangladeshi at 46%. These communities are more religious than Somalis. It's 20% for Black Africans and that includes more successful Nigerians and Ghanians and the Somali number while included is obviously lower than that. The reality is despite the degrees, most Somali women have low paying jobs accompanying them.

What I’m not getting is why this is such an issue if you live in a major city with a large Somali population (London, Seattle, Minneapolis, Stockholm, Oslo etc).

If you live in one of these places, attend uni, and you’re around average looks and personality wise, it honestly shouldn’t be too hard to find a religious Somali man studying a discipline with high earning potential like comp sci, engineering, finance, medicine, etc at your university. Even if you don’t interact with these men due to you not studying any of these subjects, you could potentially interact with them by joining clubs and societies, volunteering around the university, etc. Or even through mutual friends.

My theory might be really off but I’m currently a first year at uni and I see people that meet like this all the time so it must be far from an impossibility.

@Angelina keeps equating merely having a degree with being a working professional with a good income. A Somali girl can have a degree and still be lower in status than a manual labour Somali guy. A degree in and of itself doesn’t signify class or status.
I know that. I know lots of Uber drivers with degrees. If you can’t find a job work your degree or you refuse to work then yh
I know plenty of Gen Z and millennial marriages in the UK and they live in guri dawlad apartments. They had to move to another part of the city though. Other Muslim communities in the UK have bought homes. The Pakistanis have a 58% home ownership rate in the UK as of 2018. Bangladeshi at 46%. These communities are more religious than Somalis. It's 20% for Black Africans and that includes more successful Nigerians and Ghanians and the Somali number while included is obviously lower than that. The reality is despite the degrees, most Somali women have low paying jobs accompanying them.
Pakistanis and Bangladeshi have no issues with taking out Riba. That is a fact. I’m not going to argue with you with something anyone who actually is from the UK and knows the scene will tell you. Also, young Asian couples live with the in-laws for a few years to save up the deposit. multigenerational living arrangements in the norm for Asians. We don’t do that as Somalis. By the way the vast majority of the older gen Asians own their homes in the UK and many came in the 60s and 70s when houses were dirt cheap and many still took our mortgages. I have friends whose parents regret this due to gravity of sin of RIBA. Also, the lie you told about Asians in the UK being more religious is a funny one. Most the liquor corner shops are owned by Asians and Somalis would literally look down on any Somali that does that. I’m not saying you don’t get a lot of religious Asians btw, but you can’t say they’re more religious than Somalis. That is laughable and any reer UK would disagree who knows what’s what.

Walal, at this point you’re arguing for the sake of it. Give it up. What I’m telling you is facts. I can’t believe you think comparing the Asian community with the Somali one is a valid argument which shows clueless you are about the UK. Stick to talking about Canada.

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
I'm referring to the majority, not high value women like yourself. Lol

Those largely female roles are nothing to brag about though. They are used to determine their worth in picking partners which is crazy.
I don't think they are bragging. There is nothing wrong with wanting someone similar in payscale regardless or greater as a woman. Also, anyone can do Uber from students, professionals to retirees. It invites people from all walks of life. It isn't what you'd call an insult to be frank. I don't think it's fair to take a dig at the jobs of brothers trying to get by. Though I think the expectation is that women would expect a much higher earning spouse given taking time out for maternity leave and raising children which men don't generally do. Traditionally, men tend to earn more and as you said are more likely to be concentrated in more technical and generally higher paying fields/specialties.

AbdiFreedom

Staff Member
I know that. I know lots of Uber drivers with degrees. If you can’t find a job work your degree or you refuse to work then yh

Pakistanis and Bangladeshi have no issues with taking out Riba. That is a fact. I’m not going to argue with you with something anyone who actually is from the UK and knows the scene will tell you. Also, young Asian couples live with the in-laws for a few years to save up the deposit. multigenerational living arrangements in the norm for Asians. We don’t do that as Somalis. By the way the vast majority of the older gen Asians own their homes in the UK and many came in the 60s and 70s when houses were dirt cheap and many still took our mortgages. I have friends whose parents regret this due to gravity of sin of RIBA. Also, the lie you told about Asians in the UK being more religious is a funny one. Most the liquor corner shops are owned by Asians and Somalis would literally look down on any Somali that does that. I’m not saying you don’t get a lot of religious Asians btw, but you can’t say they’re more religious than Somalis. That is laughable and any reer UK would disagree who knows what’s what.

Walal, at this point you’re arguing for the sake of it. Give it up. What I’m telling you is facts. I can’t believe you think comparing the Asian community with the Somali one is a valid argument which shows clueless you are about the UK. Stick to talking about Canada.

Many Somalis in the UK have no issue using credit cards buying non essentials where they have to pay interest. They have no problem taking out car loans with interest in their payments despite it being cheaper and most of the times cheaper to get around on public transport. This is a dishonest argument. Somalis have no problems voluntarily paying riba.

If there are so many higher income Somali career professional women, it would be reflected in the home ownership data. It does not. The reality is most Somali women with degrees have jobs not worth bragging.

At least halal financing exists in the UK nowadays.

AbdiFreedom

Staff Member
I don't think they are bragging. There is nothing wrong with wanting someone similar in payscale regardless or greater as a woman. Also, anyone can do Uber from students, professionals to retirees. It invites people from all walks of life. It isn't what you'd call an insult to be frank. I don't think it's fair to take a dig at the jobs of brothers trying to get by. Though I think the expectation is that women would expect a much higher earning spouse given taking time out for maternity leave and raising children which men don't generally do. Traditionally, men tend to earn more and as you said are more likely to be concentrated in more technical and generally higher paying fields/specialties.

The median income is around $50K. Many Somali men at least make that. The average person is not getting anything substantially more than that. It's time they face reality. What one wants and what one can ideally get are two different things.

Many Somalis in the UK have no issue using credit cards buying non essentials where they have to pay interest. They have no problem taking out car loans with interest in their payments despite it being cheaper and most of the times cheaper to get around on public transport. This is a dishonest argument. Somalis have no problems voluntarily paying riba.
Those car loans don’t generate interest if you pay on time. Also, having a car for many isn’t something they can do without unlike a house. Many actually work as Uber drivers, work in care in which a car is important or work in transporting children to school. They need a car. Not the same.

You love arguing don’t you? I’m telling you, mortgages are low due to religious reasons. None of my family or friends or most that I know would take out a traditional mortgages. Those that do so are committing major sins and most UK Somalis are raised that way. Create a thread and you’ll find it’s UK Somalis who are against it. Yes I’m sure that some have credit cards ect and some a minority take out mortgages as well but they are slim minority. I know someone that took out a mortgages and everyone looked at them like they were doing something incredibly wrong.

If there are so many higher income Somali career professional women, it would be reflected in the home ownership data. It does not. The reality is most Somali women with degrees have jobs not worth bragging.
No, it wouldn’t. Somalis in the UK are mostly against RIBA. That is a fact. I’m telling you and you can ask any UK person here. Also, use your common sense how could home ownership reflect it when most of the young generation cannot afford to buy due to how expensive housing market is. Do you know much entry level teachers, doctors, nurses or even tech roles pay? Not enough to get on the housing market for a good few years.

We don’t like it. Also, most Gen Z and millianials even other backgrounds in the UK don’t own their homes. It’s their parents generation. Since you’re clearly looking at data, if you’re able to look at the age group. You tried to compare Somalis to
Asians who bought their houses in the 60s,70s,80s and early 90s. You clearly don’t know what you’re talking about.

Last edited:

AbdiFreedom

Staff Member
Those car loans don’t generate interest if you pay on time

You love arguing don’t you? I’m telling you, mortgages are low due to religious reasons. None of my family or friends or most that I know would take out a traditional mortgages. Those that do so are committing major sins and most UK Somalis are raised that way. Create a thread and you’ll find it’s UK Somalis who are against it. Yes I’m sure that some have credit cards ect and some a minority take out mortgages as well but they are slim minority. I know someone that took out a mortgages and everyone looked at them like they were doing something incredibly wrong.

No, it wouldn’t. Somalis in the UK are mostly against RIBA. That is a fact. I’m telling you and you can ask any UK person here.

We don’t like it.

Oh really. So banks in the UK normally give out money for car loans without you having to pay interest. Interesting.

AbdiFreedom

Staff Member
No, they do those 0% deals with car lots that you have to pay by a certain time supposedly.

You need an excellent credit score and high income for that and other conditions. Almost everyone else pays interest on their car loans. Financial institutions have to make money on you. Many Somalis drive nice cars in the UK and they pay interest on their car loans. They have no problems paying riba on credit cards and car loans otherwise they would have saved a few thousand pounds for an older Toyota. It's you who likes to argue the facts.

You need an excellent credit score and high income for that and other conditions. Almost everyone else pays interest on their car loans. Financial institutions have to make money on you. Many Somalis drive nice cars in the UK and they pay interest on their car loans. They have no problems paying riba on credit cards and car loans otherwise they would have saved a few thousand pounds for an older Toyota. It's you who likes to argue the facts.
Saxib all the Uber drivers in my area do that. My uncles do that. The habros do that. No you don’t need to have a high salary. You’re chatting rubbish. In the UK we have a lot of options. Stick to Canada please.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

AbdiFreedom

Staff Member
@AbdiFreedom

You have to be eligible and have conditions for it. You need to have an asset like property with equity to secure the loan against, in addition to good credit and good income.

AbdiFreedom

Staff Member
Where did read that, show me now. It isn’t a loan btw from the bank. Car companies do that. It’s literally paying installments.

You don’t even know what you’re talking about.

Actually you don't know what you're talking about. It's clear you have never had dealings with a bank apart from your chequing and savings account. If it was that simple, everyone in the UK who wants a car loan would get 0% interest and there wouldn't be a market for car loans with interest loans. You need to qualify for 0% interest loans. No bank is going to give you a 0% interest loan for a depreciating asset if there is the chance you can't pay for it once you lose your job or have financial problems. I am sure I can go on Google right now and find countless UK drivers talking about the interest/APR on their car loan. 0% car loans are not given out just like that and the average person in the UK or anyone else is not paying 0% on their loan. You live in fantasy land. Do you have any idea how financial institutions make money?

Actually you don't know what you're talking about. It's clear you have never had dealings with a bank apart from your chequing and savings account. If it was that simple, everyone in the UK who wants a car loan would get 0% interest and there wouldn't be a market for car loans with interest loans. You need to qualify for 0% interest loans. No bank is going to give you a 0% interest loan for a depreciating asset if there is the chance you can't pay for it once you lose your job or have financial problems. I am sure I can go on Google right now and find countless UK drivers talking about the interest/APR on their car loan. 0% car loans are hard to get and the average person in the UK or anyone else is not paying 0% on their loan. You live in fantasy land. Do you have any idea how financial institutions make money?
There is a catch, if you don’t pay on time it will be even higher than actual car loans. A Somali Uber driver was explaining it to me. I don’t buy cars using any financing tbh and I avoid RIBA like the plague so you’re right I’m not clued up because I don’t engage in that.

Btw, this conversation we are having has no bearing towards home ownerships. Most homes in the UK are owned by the older gen especially the communities like Asians you mentioned. Most young professional married Pakistani/Bangladeshi live at home and move in their bride and they save up for a mortgages. My Asian friends still live in their husbands houses and aren’t on the property ladder, it’s their parents and in-laws that have the houses not them.

You can’t expect young educated Somalis to compete with communities that have property since the 70s. This discussion is still far too early as the middle class Somali community is still very new. Most of these even the ones that are doctors, teachers ect were mostly raised in council homes and if unmarried still live with their parents in those very homes.

Last edited:

AbdiFreedom

Staff Member
@Angelina can you explain why I am finding countless discussions from people in the UK on their interest rate for car loans? People missing their car payments is extremely very low. It's about 0.5-2% in the UK and Canada. Shouldn't these people have taken advantage of 0% loans since it's actually rare to miss car payments and they have nothing to worry about? Why haven't these people gotten 0% car loans if it's so available to them?

Basra

LOVE is a product of Doqoniimo mixed with lust
Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
@Angelina can you explain why I am finding countless discussions from people in the UK on their interest rate for car loans? People missing their car payments is extremely very low. It's about 0.5-2% in the UK and Canada. Shouldn't these people have taken advantage of 0% loans since it's actually rare to miss car payments and they have nothing to worry about? Why haven't these people gotten 0% car loans if it's so available to them?

1680105849095.png

AbdiFreedom

Staff Member
There is a catch, if you don’t pay on time it will be even higher than actual car loans. A Somali Uber driver was explaining it to me. I don’t buy cars using any financing tbh and I avoid RIBA like the plague so you’re right I’m not clued up because I don’t engage in that.

Btw, this conversation we are having has no bearing towards home ownerships. Most homes in the UK are owned by the older gen especially the communities like Asians you mentioned. Most young professional married Pakistani/Bangladeshi live at home and move in their bride and they save up for a mortgages. My Asian friends still live in their husbands houses and aren’t on the property ladder, it’s their parents and in-laws that have the houses not them.

You can’t expect young educated Somalis to compete with communities that have property since the 70s. This discussion is still far too early as the middle class Somali community is still very new. Most of these even the ones that are doctors, teachers ect were mostly raised in council homes and if unmarried still live with their parents in those very homes.

For every high income Somali woman with a degree, there's another 10 working with a degree making £25,000 a year at some nonprofit or somewhere else with a similiar income. Just average. You and I both know that.

Status
Not open for further replies.