What kind of name do you have? The origins of your first name.

What kind of name do you have?

• Total voters

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
-o is better !
Why do Somalis often do this thing with the vowel "o" where they use it to replace other vowels like "a" and "u" at the end of words? Tried asking a linguist once if there's a name for this but they never got back to me. They always morph names and such this way. Muqdisho, Xalimo, Farxiyo, Caluulo...

Hail Arabic Names

e4e8b24ca39fd941acfb7436f6cc6181.gif

Apollo

VIP
Why do Somalis often do this thing with the vowel "o" where they use it to replace other vowels like "a" and "u" at the end of words? Tried asking a linguist once if there's a name for this but they never got back to me. They always morph names and such this way. Muqdisho, Xalimo, Farxiyo, Caluulo...

Bosaso

Gaalkacyo

Burco

lol

-o and -e are the most popular vowel endings in Somali.

Somalis seem to not like -a, -i-, -u.

I don’t know. Let me know when you find out :icon lol:

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
@Apollo

I've noticed names that end in "le" are very, very common among Cushites and Ethiosemites alike.

Somali examples
Caraale
Faroole
Cawaale
Rooble

Xabash examples
Amsale
Ayele
Haile
Kifle

Oromo examples
Bifle
Biliile
Dagale
Dansoole

Very, very common across the region. Even for place and ethnic names. It's almost like our region's equivalent to the Greco-Roman fixation with -os and -us ending names though not as common as that. In Somali names it implies the person "has" something hence the "le" so Rooble = "Has rain" in literal terms but implies the real meaning which is "blessed" as you would be blessed to have rain among a majority pastoral nomadic society. I wonder if it has the same connotation among other Cushites, and Ethiosemites.

Apollo

VIP
@Shimbiris

I remember while I was writing a paper on Japan for school a few years ago, I spotted myself constantly mistyping Japanese place names or personal names ending in -a as ending in -e.

LMAO, the influence of Somali in my brain perhaps. Really weird how -a is disfavored in Somali.

reer

VIP
@reer @Shimbiris @Periplus

What is the deal with so many original Somali names ending in an -e.

I can understand it with names like Ayaanle, meaning having Ayaan.

But for many of the others, the -e has no grammatical function.
theyre used to put adjectives on a person.
both -le and -e can be used for description. but -e is more uses for physical traits description. cadde madoobe etc. somali grammar is irregular so take ny words with a pinch of salt.
-e is usually used in morphology to describe in wax lugu kabo or wax lugu samiyo or knowing something. tusaale:
waxmatare = wax + ma + taro + e. qof wax tarin weeye but he does it repeatedly so its his character. its stuck to him.

-le is differentbut overlaps a lot. it can be used as compound adjective. tusaale
huuro = huuraale. huuro is wasakhda ilkaha. huuraale waa qof ilkahiisa huuro badan qabo.
dhusuqle = nin dhusuq badan. dhusuq is wasakh.

somali grammar is irregular. :lol:

araajo = araaje. qof messy ah.

Last edited:

Apollo

VIP
somali grammar is irregular. :lol:

How Af-Somali constructs plurals is an absolute nightmare.

There are like 20 different ways to make plurals.

Ironically, this makes Af-Somali much more complex than English with its pea brained ''just add an S brah''. :damn:

reer

VIP
How Af-Somali makes plurals is an absolute nightmare.

Like 20 different ways to make plurals.

Ironically, this makes Af-Somali much more complex than English with its pea brained ''just add an S brah''. :damn:
imagine being the 1st group of somalis tasked to archive somali grammar in the 70s. :damn:

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
No, but close ...

ثعلبة

:damn:

on a serious note, it's one of these..

قيس
مروان

وليد
حمزة
سعد
سعيد
خالد
سهل
جعفر
أسعد
أسد
نعمان

أويس
View attachment 213296
Saeed cos it's fairly normal among Somalis whereas I have yet to meet the rest except for maybe a Xamza or Xamzo for women and, well, I also bank on Awis cos that's too random and obscure ass a name for you to have just have found somewhere and sounds like some shit a Geeljire fam would be attracted to. Somalis love their "W"s. I'm learning more everyday. Reer Boston, probably distantly related to me, relations in the UAE. You taking risks giving me all this intelligence, saaxiiib.

Saeed cos it's fairly normal among Somalis whereas I have yet to meet the rest except for maybe a Xamza or Xamzo for women and, well, I also bank on Awis cos that's too random and obscure ass a name for you to have just have found somewhere and sounds like some shit a Geeljire fam would be attracted to. Somalis love their "W"s. I'm learning more everyday. Reer Boston, probably distantly related to me, relations in the UAE. You taking risks giving me all this intelligence, saaxiiib.

i have an abti and adeer named saciid
:dead:
Geeljire like that name.

You never met Somali
ascad
Khalid
Qays
jacfar
sahal
asad
nucman ???
marwan and waleed are very rare though..

well it's one of the names I listed above

:yacadiim:

Last edited:

Apollo

VIP
All I know is imma name my son John Smith. Try a get a leg up in this western world.

Too coonish, instead pick a non-Western rare short name that nobody can tell where it is from.

Some names are found in many regions of the world, especially short ones.

Trending

Latest posts