What kind of name do you have? The origins of your first name.

What kind of name do you have?

• Total voters
@Sheikh Google

I Knew this Somali named
Jibril adan , but on his ID he had it as
Gabriel Adam.:pachah1:

You can always give them one of these names we share with gaalo , just tweak it a little and they can still 'get a leg up in this western world ' without totally abandoning their Somalinimo .

@Sheikh Google

I Knew this Somali named
Jibril adan , but on his ID he had it as
Gabriel Adam.:pachah1:

You can always give them one of these names we share with gaalo , just tweak it a little and they can still 'get a leg up in this western world ' without totally abandoning their Somalinimo .
Im just kidding but thats a smart idea. At home he will have his proper somali name for identity. At school and for government purposes that lil nigga shall be called Harold Barrington or some shit. Try throw his application in the bin now you racist cucks.

What is the deal with so many original Somali names ending in an -e.
Why do Somalis often do this thing with the vowel "o" where they use it to replace other vowels like "a" and "u" at the end of words? Tried asking a linguist once if there's a name for this but they never got back to me. They always morph names and such this way. Muqdisho, Xalimo, Farxiyo, Caluulo...
Names of people(and cities) that end with an -o or -a are feminine. Most Somali cities are feminine. "Dhulka hooyo" bilaash looma odhan, lol. Names that end with an -e are masculine.

Also, when it comes to Somalized Arabic names:
Names that end with an -o is mostly a Southern Somalia thing, whilst the Northerners mostly stick an -a at the end of the names
For example:
Koonfur: Farxiyo, Roodo, Sahro, Fardowso, Hudo, Salmo, Caasho, Sacdiyo, Aasiyo, Najmo etc.
Waqooyi= Farxiya, Rooda, Sahra, Fardowsa/Farduus, Huda, Salma, Caasha, Sacdiya, Aasiya, Najma etc.

theyre used to put adjectives on a person.
both -le and -e can be used for description. but -e is more uses for physical traits description. cadde madoobe etc. somali grammar is irregular so take ny words with a pinch of salt.
-e is usually used in morphology to describe in wax lugu kabo or wax lugu samiyo or knowing something. tusaale:
waxmatare = wax + ma + taro + e. qof wax tarin weeye but he does it repeatedly so its his character. its stuck to him.

-le is differentbut overlaps a lot. it can be used as compound adjective. tusaale
huuro = huuraale. huuro is wasakhda ilkaha. huuraale waa qof ilkahiisa huuro badan qabo.
dhusuqle = nin dhusuq badan. dhusuq is wasakh.

somali grammar is irregular. :lol:

araajo = araaje. qof messy ah.
I can't figure out what "araajo" and "huuralle" have to do with each other?

"-le" is short for leh(lahaansho). You can say "huuro baan leeyahay"(I have huuro), but not "araajo baan leeyahay"(I have araajo).
Araajo waad noqonkartaa(I am araajo/basari/messy), se huuro ma noqonkartid(You can't "be" huuro).

-e= indicates a person who carries out a certain task. For example: Bare(masculine)= teacher, beerfale(masculine)= farmer.
The suffix -e sometimes loses its masculine function when certain tools come into play. For example, fure(key), dubbe(hammer), kaariyoone(wheelbarrow) etc. are feminine words.

-le= indicates an owner of the object or somebody who has a task connected to the object.
Water=biyo, biyoole(biyo + leh= has water)= waterer
Shaah=tea, shaahle(shaah + leh= has tea)= someone who makes tea...tea sommelier?
Gaadhi=car, gaadhiile(gaadhi + leh= has a car)= A chauffeur

Inan? Like Axmad inan Maxamad? Sort of like "bin" among Arabs but no one really uses it in a transliteration sense.
Inan means boy/girl. I think you meant ina=son/daughter.
Ina goes well with the naanaysyada(the nicknames), imo. Let's say Maxamad's nickname is "Sardheeye"(Nap-taker)
Everyone and their grandma knows who Ina Sardheeye(Axmad) is, but "Ina Maxamad" doesn't sound helpful at all...Maxamadkee dee?

Last edited:
It’s an Islamic name but used more with Somalis than other ethnicities. Most of the people I’ve met with my name have been Somali. My last name is Islamic too (name of a prophet)

Trending