What kind of name do you have? The origins of your first name.

What kind of name do you have?

• Total voters
I have no idea what the origin of name is. I've heard people say it is Western in origin, but I suspect it is not as the people of the culture where my name was derived from do not use the name anymore (probably in the last thousand years lol). I'm guessing it's either Turkish or Arabic, as there are two names in those languages that are very similar to mine.

My name means God has given; it's a name given to a child after the one before it has died.

It was always hilarious turning up for job interviews because we have the same names as the Chinese, Koreans and Vietnamese; we have names like Tong, Chol, Tang, Deng, Chan, Kong, Ngor and many other Asian sounding names.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
My sister is named after her aunt who is named after a (now deceased) Arab feminist.

Leftism runs in my family.

:mjlol:

Somalised Arabic names until my 8th Grandad (Now that I think of it, he probably lived somewhere in the 1810s/1820s, a contemporary of Napoleon reading the Quran somewhere in Africa). :lolbron:

El Nino

Cabsi cabsi
VIP
First name is somalized arabic, quite funny how arabs have problems pronouncing it, it took years for my arab friend to pronounce it the somali way.

Last name is arabic, then my abtirsi becomes more somali, starting from my great grandfather. Kinda jealous of people who have a somali first name, especially a uncommon.

El Nino

Cabsi cabsi
VIP
We should eradicate everything except pure somali names or Islamic Arabic names imo. Everything else is just useless.

Arma

GRAND Wizard of MJ SIXIIR
VIP
I'm very happy with my Muslim name, Hussein. A name after the grandson of Rasolullah SAW.

People need to learn how to differentiate between Arab names and Islamic names. Most Somalis have Islamic names....not traditional Arab names like: Sami, Baseem, Nadir, and Maher...You'll never find Somali men with these names.

And when they do name their kids, traditional Arab names such as; Umar, Hamza, Hassan, Hussein (such as myself), they do it to honour the Sahaba and family of The Prophet (SAW), that had those names.

Educate yourselves, people.

somalipatriot

Unfortunately, therefore lack of any wisdom
I’ve got an Arabic/Islamic name, in 2022 a lot of Somali nationalist look down on it.
That’s ridiculous but do you also know this? What abshir bacadle said after the ouster of siad barre and destruction of Mogadishu in 1991 he wrote a poem oh Allah bring back the old man ( siad barre ) and pray for him

Trending