What is a somali?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samaalic Era

QurboExit
did some research and damn these white kids have a somali clan. :ooh: while materally half somalis are clan less eventhough they might look somali AF.
remember somalis can also be white:salute:
everton-leon-osman.jpg

I can imagine them starting a clan and then telling their origin story of how their Somali ancestor went their and civilised the natives and took their women.

Doesn't the Somali and Oromo share similiar DNA?

How the hell does DNA indicate an ethnic group?
your overthinking
to be somali who have to be of somali linage, simple as that
and leon osman qualifies, i don't if he eats beacon, is christian, is a alt right racist to dark skin and doesn't speak a word of somali

Crow

Make Hobyo Great Again
VIP
Lets be real, the reason why Bantus are not seen as marriage material is due to their slave origins. Somalis are bigoted like that. Its about the fact that they are looked at as being oppressed and poor rather than them being of foreign origin.

However, another group that are not seen as Somalis by sspot are cadcads, yet marrying cadcads is the norm in Xamar and I have many family member male and female married to them.

Marrying them is so normal, that my mothers side of the family wouldn't even bat an eye lid if I married one. These are the same people that hate interracial marriages.

If Somalis in the south don't class cadcads as Somalis why is it that marrying them is seen as normal?
We enslaved countless Oromos, married them, and incorporated them into our clan system. The fact that they were slaves didn't change anything. They were still very much marriageable.

Bantus are of a completely different race from us so they are naturally seen as foreign. Even their culture is different. They are Muslim and speak Somali but because they only arrived within the last two centuries, they have retained a lot of their old practices.

Cadcads are different in a number of ways. They look a lot more like us. I believe they have 40% Somali DNA on average. They have also lived in Somalia far longer so they are well integrated into the culture.

The shift in beauty standards in Somalia in the last 50 years to favour Arab features has probably improved the way cadcads are seen in marriage but they are still oppressed and have been oppressed for a millennium.

Crow

Make Hobyo Great Again
VIP
To answer the OP, a Somali needs three things:

1. Diin
  2. Lineage
  3. DNA
If one of these things is missing, they are not Somali.

leon osman is a proud african somali man as well,
been through his twitter and it turns out her regularly visits east africa, he has been to kenya, tanzana and i could imagine he would have been a regular to somalia if it wasn't for al shabaab and amisom martial law.

madaxweyne

madaxweyne
VIP
We enslaved countless Oromos, married them, and incorporated them into our clan system. The fact that they were slaves didn't change anything. They were still very much marriageable.

Bantus are of a completely different race from us so they are naturally seen as foreign. Even their culture is different. They are Muslim and speak Somali but because they only arrived within the last two centuries, they have retained a lot of their old practices.

Cadcads are different in a number of ways. They look a lot more like us. I believe they have 40% Somali DNA on average. They have also lived in Somalia far longer so they are well integrated into the culture.

The shift in beauty standards in Somalia in the last 50 years to favour Arab features has probably improved the way cadcads are seen in marriage but they are still oppressed and have been oppressed for a millennium.
Agreed cad cads look mostly Somalia
Oromos where seen as close to Somalia back before the oromos hate we where the ones to make a lot of them Muslim during Ahmed gazi

And bantus are racially jareeer , So they are not Somali

I have no idea what any of that has to do with being ethnically Somali..

Somali means those who originate from Somali territories regardless of clan,tribe or ethnicity. when you insist on ethnic back ground, you also proceed to tribe and clan. and all these people you concerned of predominantly have some Somali genes,same language, religion,culture and same experience.

Doesn't change the fact that paternally they are of different origins.

Only reason why cadcads have 40% dna is due to the fact that marrying them was not considered a big taboo, since they were wealthy traders. The average cadcad usually has a Hawiye or Marehaan grandmother. As much as Somalis are xenophobic they are nowhere near as xenophobic as the posters make out.

Furthermore, cadcads are diverse looking. Some look like us, whilst some look khaleeji/Yemeni whilst some look Pakistani.

It was only during the civil war that they were heavily discriminated against as they were a visable minority who were known to have money, but no protection.

Also, the fact that you mentioned that Bantus have different cultures to us shows that you have not been around them. Believe me, their culture isn't. Most don't even know their country of origin and the only culture they practise is Somali.

Doesn't change the fact that paternally they are of different origins.

Only reason why cadcads have 40% dna is due to the fact that marrying them was not considered a big taboo, since they were wealthy traders. The average cadcad usually has a Hawiye or Marehaan grandmother. As much as Somalis are xenophobic they are nowhere near as xenophobic as the posters make out.

Furthermore, cadcads are diverse looking. Some look like us, whilst some look khaleeji/Yemeni whilst some look Pakistani.

It was only during the civil war that they were heavily discriminated against as they were a visable minority who were known to have money, but no protection.

Also, the fact that you mentioned that Bantus have different cultures to us shows that you have not been around them. Believe me, their culture isn't. Most don't even know their country of origin and the only culture they practise is Somali.
Cadcads are still part of the 0.5 right? Doesn't that mean they were considered langaab?

Last edited:
I can imagine them starting a clan and then telling their origin story of how their Somali ancestor went their and civilised the natives and took their women.
yes yes yes :salute:

the same way we talk about darood coming from arabia
they will look up to somalia :pachah1:
once upon a time, a farah came to Europe and birth a generation of somali warriors and somali colonialists through white queens

Cadcads are still part of the 0.5 right? And if they had no protection even while they were rich, doesn't that mean they weren't considered worthy of protecting?

No, Somalis are very qabilist, if they turn on each other, what makes you think they will not turn on people who are weaker than them? Cadcads regardless of their wealth, do not have the man power or the numbers to take on the Habr Gidr and other Hawiye clans who out number them 10-1.

It isn't about whether they are deemed worth the protection, its just that in the Somali mindset the only one deemed worth the protection is your clan member. Hence, why the stronger your clan, the less likely you will be abused as your clans can defend themselves from attack.

Things were so bad during the height of the civil war, you had maternal cousins killing each other just because they were from different clans. Ethnic Somalis were killing each other, who shared the same grandmother!!

If someone can turn on their own flesh and blood and not give them protection due to clan loyalty, what makes you think they will protect cadcads?????

No, Somalis are very qabilist, if they turn each other, what makes you think they will not turn on people who are weaker than them? Cadcads regardless of their wealth, do not have the man power or the numbers to take on the Habr Gidr and other Hawiye clans who out number them 10-1.

It isn't about whether they are deemed worth the protection, its just that in the Somali mindset the only one deemed worth the protection is your clan member. Hence, why stronger your clan, the less likely you will be abused.

Things were so bad during the height of the civil war, you had maternal cousins killing each other just because they were from different clans. Ethnic Somalis were killing each other, who shared the same grandmother!!

If someone can turn on their own flesh and blood and not give them protection due to clan loyalty, what makes you think they will protect cadcads?????
I phrased it wrong, I meant protecting each other. I know they're langaab especially compared to Hawiye who raped them. And the civil war's been over for a while but Cadcad are still considered 0.5? I'm only well versed on the bombing of the north, I lost maternal relatives there. All I know of reer Xamar is that a lot of them are barbers, and no-one in my family consider them true Somalis.

Crow

Make Hobyo Great Again
VIP
They aren't like AAs. They can tell you exactly where they came from and how they got there. They can even still speak their language.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zigula_language

They aren't like AAs. They can tell you exactly where they came from and how they got there. They can even still speak their language.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zigula_language

No, we have bantus in our Somali community where we live. Believe me, most have no idea. The ones from Xamar behave and speak the same as the cadcads and Somalis from Xamar. I grew up around them and they would often integrate into the Somali community here, and they behave just like us. I've noticed the cadcads would marry into them though.
I used to think of them as being any other Somali Habr Yaar, although as I child I could sense they looked very different.

The rest usually speak Af-maay.

Walal, have you ever been around them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending