Was Siyaad Barre a snake?

Was Barre a snake to Somali self-determination

• Yes

Votes: 25 75.8%
  • No

Votes: 8 24.2%

• Total voters
never knew that. also as i heard the isaaqs started the whole thing.

mSY2YqYWZcdpe4Go8gEQP2Ns0Aiy8YLs_JZZJQGETpT2PJ54LQd11QzTwAFPelCor9y7ohtB-D7nt3lStQWRzGlI7ksBb3C40a7cX--RT0WpLr1615rhAR42bvXfOYpMQJDYTInlfq47qa0i101pdGBkSuutYe80UFg

TekNiKo

β€œI am an empathic and emotionally-aware person.
VIP
History shall remember him kindly as a great Somali nationalists who made his enemies quake in fear. Remember ironically it was MSB who built the precessor to AU the OAU and sending troops to train and liberate themselves trom Apartheid and colonialism. He was a pioneer and now his own instrument is being used to save Somalia (AMISOM).

30 years of Hawiye/Kablalax lead to violence and mayham. President Farmaajo needs 8 more years to stabilise these two and it may take a while but soon Somalia shall regain her pride, slowly but surely!πŸ‡ΈπŸ‡΄πŸ‡ΈπŸ‡΄πŸ‡ΈπŸ‡΄πŸ‡ΈπŸ‡΄πŸ‡ΈπŸ‡΄πŸ‡ΈπŸ‡΄πŸ‡ΈπŸ‡΄πŸ‡ΈπŸ‡΄πŸ‡ΈπŸ‡΄πŸ‡ΈπŸ‡΄πŸ‡ΈπŸ‡΄

Calaf

Veni Vidi Vici
2022 CHESS CHAMP
GENERALISSIMO
VIP
History shall remember him kindly as a great Somali nationalists who made his enemies quake in fear. Remember ironically it was MSB who built the precessor to AU the OAU and sending troops to train and liberate themselves trom Apartheid and colonialism. He was a pioneer and now his own instrument is being used to save Somalia (AMISOM).

30 years of Hawiye/Kablalax lead to violence and mayham. President Farmaajo needs 8 more years to stabilise these two and it may take a while but soon Somalia shall regain her pride, slowly but surely!πŸ‡ΈπŸ‡΄πŸ‡ΈπŸ‡΄πŸ‡ΈπŸ‡΄πŸ‡ΈπŸ‡΄πŸ‡ΈπŸ‡΄πŸ‡ΈπŸ‡΄πŸ‡ΈπŸ‡΄πŸ‡ΈπŸ‡΄πŸ‡ΈπŸ‡΄πŸ‡ΈπŸ‡΄πŸ‡ΈπŸ‡΄
Biggest mistake was his miskeenimo to Africans. Should have left them alone to deal with apartheid. Adeer ASC, how you doing, its been sometime. Are you still in Xamar?

TekNiKo

β€œI am an empathic and emotionally-aware person.
VIP
Biggest mistake was his miskeenimo to Africans. Should have left them alone to deal with apartheid. Adeer ASC, how you doing, its been sometime. Are you still in Xamar?
Yes they bit us in the back and betrayed us especially the Tigray Mastermind Meles Zenawi and the Woyanne oh they did us dirty.

No I am back in the great white north! Lockdowns have eased alx!

Calaf

Veni Vidi Vici
2022 CHESS CHAMP
GENERALISSIMO
VIP
Exhibit A : Meles Zenawi - Lived in Mogadishu, Had a Somali Passport, Had a Government funded house and even pocket money, and yet Meles because the Meles we know of today. A ungrateful Somali hating killer. Should I go on.

giphy.gif

Calaf

Veni Vidi Vici
2022 CHESS CHAMP
GENERALISSIMO
VIP
Yes they bit us in the back and betrayed us especially the Tigray Mastermind Meles Zenawi and the Woyanne oh they did us dirty.

No I am back in the great white north! Lockdowns have eased alx!
From South to East Africa, wa doqonimo from Barre AUN. Look at TPLF today, that is 100% Somali inkar.

Nice, allahimdullah your safe back home.

Exhibit A : Meles Zenawi - Lived in Mogadishu, Had a Somali Passport, Had a Government funded house and even pocket money, and yet Meles because the Meles we know of today. A ungrateful Somali hating killer. Should I go on.

giphy.gif
The point went way over your head.
It was the bit where you said it was his biggest mistake that made me, and likely most non-Mx go WTF.
I could name at least a dozen bigger mistakes, one which you have alluded to yourself in this very thread - the moronic decision to go to war with Ethiopia knowing that he no Soviet or American support for the war. Another would be the poisoning of Majeerteni wells leading to death of untold numbers of innocent geeljires.

Calaf

Veni Vidi Vici
2022 CHESS CHAMP
GENERALISSIMO
VIP
The point went way over your head.
It was the bit where you said it was his biggest mistake that made me, and likely most non-Mx go WTF.
I could name at least a dozen bigger mistakes, one which you have alluded to yourself in this very thread - the moronic decision to go to war with Ethiopia knowing that he no Soviet or American support for the war. Another would be the poisoning of Majeerteni wells leading to death of untold numbers of innocent geeljires.
Let me rephrase it : His biggest policy that affects all of us today, was the mistake of adapting the stance of Pan-Africanism. That led dominos after dominos which affects us to this date. Zenawi's problems and cuqdad against Somalis are a major effect for Somalis to this date. Ethiopia having a finger in Somali politics is due to Zewawi placing the foundations. And don't get me started on the invasion and crimes committed.

That is his biggest mistake and has a dent on us till this date.

Yes, some of his domestic polices was outright wrong or ill-advised, but do they have a major effect on Somalia today? Debatable. Somaliland today is one of the issues, but comes another debate about the Law of Union. The 77 war his downfall. 91 onwards, he had no say in Somali politics, and in 95, he returned to Allah SWT. So his influenced died out. Those that died due to his polices, AUN. But the biggest mistake would be something that affects us this date that was the direct cause of his government, and hence, it was that.

Siyaad Barre was power hungry man, a true dictator who murdered innocent people. Allah will judge him.

The thing I disagree with people about is that without him there wouldn’t be a civil war.

Somalia would have went through a civil war either way, but the difference he did have were the severity of the war and lasting effects of it. His actions increased animosity between clans and we can see it today.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP

As I have proven in this thread, he supported colonisation not nationalism.

1. The predecessor to AU, the Organisation for African Unity, was founded years before Barre even took over in Somalia.

2. Barre was instrumental in many African issues but he was also one of the first African leaders to openly deal with the apartheid government in the 1980's. Barre invited an Apartheid government delegation to Somalia in order to secure an arms deal.

Back to the topic, the information presented is fascinating. Barre seems to me a conniving man, as he went from a colonial admirer to a staunch ”nationalist”.

Somalia maintained strong ties with Italia during Barres era, especially militarily and police. Men were sent to Italian military and police academies including few of my uncles. They where still cooperating.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
Barre was smart to support Meles.

His calculation was to support enemies of the Ethiopian regime that support his enemies (USC, SSDF, SNM). Eventually, Barre got Mengistu to sign a deal to ditch each other enemies.

Barre ditched Meles and Afwerki but before Mengistu could ditch SNM, they snuck into Somalia.

He had a good idea, almost chess-like but it did not pan out and instead his only bargaining chip became his downfall. SNM moved into Somalia because Barre forced them to.

Last edited:
Let me rephrase it : His biggest policy that affects all of us today, was the mistake of adapting the stance of Pan-Africanism. That led dominos after dominos which affects us to this date. Zenawi's problems and cuqdad against Somalis are a major effect for Somalis to this date. Ethiopia having a finger in Somali politics is due to Zewawi placing the foundations. And don't get me started on the invasion and crimes committed.
How can you not consider his relentless suppression of any and all opposition, by any means necessary including countless war crimes and an attempted genocide, as a policy "that affects all of us today"?

You're incredibly short-sighted when it comes to Afweyne and his legacy. It is very easy to surmise why.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
Back to the topic, the information presented is fascinating. Barre seems to me a conniving man, as he went from a colonial admirer to a staunch ”nationalist”.

Somalia maintained strong ties with Italia during Barres era, especially militarily and police. Men were sent to Italian military and police academies including few of my uncles. They where still cooperating.

Somalia was much closer to Italy than the UK even before Barre. During the SYL era, the government cut diplomatic ties with the UK after they gave the NFD to Kenya in 1963 despite a plebiscite citing mass support for unification. Also, it was alleged the British promised the NFD to Somalia after the failure of uniting the Ogaden.

This shocked the UK as I think Somalia was the first newly independent nation to not only reject the Commonwealth but the UK altogether.

The actions of Kenya towards the NFD was also shocking. During their struggle against the British, the SYL sheltered the Mau Mau fighters only for Jomo Kenyatta to say "not an inch more not an inch less" to the SYL.

Here is an interview in which the SYL rep says Mau Mau is safe in Somalia even after Kenyatta insulted Somalia.

--------

As for Barre....

I do not know whether this is a fact but there is a popular story about Barre's trip to Italy. The Italian government offered Barre an apology for their colonisation in Somalia and apparently Barre rejected it, instead saying Somalia was grateful for their rule. Not sure if its fiction or fact tho. I can look into it.

Barre was smart to support Meles.

His calculation was to support enemies of the Ethiopian regime that support his enemies (USC, SSDF, SNM). Eventually, Barre got Mengistu to sign a deal handing over each other enemies.

Barre ditched Meles and Afwerki but before Mengistu could give up SNM, they snuck into Somalia.

He had a good idea, almost chess-like but it did not pan out and instead his only bargaining chip became his downfall. SNM moved into Somalia because Barre forced them to.
The agreement between Mengistu and Afweyne was to stop aiding and abetting the militias/guerrillas against eachother. There was no agreement to "hand over" anyone. If you have legitimate sources claiming the latter, produce them.

Trending