• Yes

Votes: 25 75.8%
  • No

Votes: 8 24.2%

• Total voters

mr steal your naag

banu hashim and shiettt
VIP
Very heated discussion impending. I think he was.

Prior to his coup, Siyaad Barre supported a group called the Somali Conference, an Italian-financed group that attempted to extend Italy's trusteeship to thirty years.

As many of you may know, an Egyptian ambassador named Kamaluddin was very instrumental in Somalia's independence as the UN's point man in Somalia during the 1950's. Kamal was very sympathetic towards the SYL and directed Egypt to support the party as well as providing positive assessments of the SYL to the UN Security Council.

However, Kamal is assassinated in Mogadishu under mysterious circumstances. Many considered independence in jeopardy and two men were considered to be at the heart of this betrayal: Siyaad Barre and Zoppe, both influential pro-Italians.

Here is a french source mentioning Barre's participation in pro-Italian activities, actively hindering independence. The first line essentially says Barre was barely a nationalist by any means.

View attachment 190809

The following excerpts mention Barre's involvement in Kamal's assassination.

View attachment 190810View attachment 190811

These excerpts assert that Barre and Zoppo, the latter of whom was a well known pro-colonialist involved in numerous murky aspects of the trusteeship, were good friends. When the assassination occurred, Barre deliberately impeded the investigation and pitted Nassarist Egypt against the SYL. The excerpt goes onto say that Barre's reputation was tarnished for a longtime because of his actions.

Ask your grandparents about the murder of Kamaluddin and the controversy around it. It is considered one of the biggest mysteries in recent Somali history.
I think he was chosen by foreigners to lead somalia. I even think that he killed the 2nd president of somalia. Just look at the coup how smooth it went and nobody died in every place in africa where a coup happens people die but in somalia it went to smooth :francis: . Why didn all those somali politicians that had the right to become the president in 1969 get there militias?

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
IOG had Abtidoon under control towards the end, it was the same case as Tamim and Hamad of Qatar. He didn't step down willy nilly, but IOG was very influential to the point where his power eclipsed the elderly Abitdoon.

Very true, problem was in Somalia no-one could get near Barre because he did not want a transition.

Barre is known for the quote: "When I came to Mogadishu (pre-WWII) there was one road built by the Italians. If you force me to leave, I will leave it how I found it. I came by the gun and will leave by the gun."

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
I think he was chosen by foreigners to lead somalia. I even think that he killed the 2nd president of somalia. Just look at the coup how smooth it went and nobody died in every place in africa where a coup happens people die but in somalia it went to smooth :francis: . Why didn all those somali politicians that had the right to become the president in 1969 get there militias?

I do not want to deal in maybes but the assassination was very beneficial for Barre. The funeral of Sharmarke allowed Barre to take the SYL by surprise and also allowed him to trap all the influential politicians at one place, the cemetery.

It was very clear however, that the 1969 coup was the work of the USSR. The mastermind, Gabeyere was a KGB agent, this is a fact. Barre and his other comrades were trained by the USSR, who resented not having an outpost in the region.

Think about this: Somalia, Kenya, Djibouti (French colony then) and Ethiopia were all aligned with the US.

Also South Yemen also had a communist coup in June 1969, coincidence?

mr steal your naag

banu hashim and shiettt
VIP
I do not want to deal in maybes but the assassination was very beneficial for Barre. The funeral of Sharmarke allowed Barre to take the SYL by surprise and also allowed him to trap all the influential politicians at one place, the cemetery.

It was very clear however, that the 1969 coup was the work of the USSR. The mastermind, Gabeyere was a KGB agent, this is a fact. Barre and his other comrades were trained by the USSR, who resented not having an outpost in the region.
Clearly he was not politician material i think he used to be a boyscout in the 1950s :damn:

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
Clearly he was not politician material i think he used to be a boyscout in the 1950s :damn:

He was given vice-commander of the military in 1960 despite being only having police training. By comparison, many younger Somalis from the Italian colony had military experience with either the US or Italy.

Furthermore, his superior, General Daud, the leader of the Somali army died in Moscow in 1965 under mysterious circumstances.

This cleared the way for Barre to take over the military before the 1969 coup.

Calaf

Veni Vidi Vici
2022 CHESS CHAMP
GENERALISSIMO
VIP
Very true, problem was in Somalia no-one could get near Barre because he did not want a transition.

Barre is known for the quote: "When I came to Mogadishu (pre-WWII) there was one road built by the Italians. If you force me to leave, I will leave it how I found it. I came by the gun and will leave by the gun."
Siad Barre had 2 downfall. AUN, he was smart, but failed in 2 areas. Post-77 and Post-86. 86 after his crash, the internal struggles between VP and wife's. IOG is going on the same route himself. From his wife significant powers to the family control of the country.

But 1 thing is clear, 2 things Barre cannot be accused of : Death of Abdi Rashid Sharmake AUN and Death of General Daud AUN.

Based

VIP

When did he say this? Before the fall of his government ?

He said he'd pray to Jesus in exchange for weapons, ordered the murder, poisoning, rape and bombing of innocent civilians. Don't put anything past this evil man.

If I was told he worshipped Ibliis, I'd believe it.

Siad Barre was a member or puppet of The Christian Fundamentalist Political Group "The Family", a book was written on it and also a documentary on Netflix.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
Siad Barre had 2 downfall. AUN, he was smart, but failed in 2 areas. Post-77 and Post-86. 86 after his crash, the internal struggles between VP and wife's. IOG is going on the same route himself. From his wife significant powers to the family control of the country.

In my somewhat qualified opinion, Barre was incapable of leadership. His two major achievements were: the Somali script and the drought of the 1970's.

1. The SYL already agreed on implementing the Latin script in 1962 after a report they commissioned agreed with it. However, many in parliament disagreed and it was never implemented. The dictatorial nature of the Kacaan allowed for the 1962 findings to be implemented without debate.

A few months after independence, the Somali Language Committee was appointed to investigate the best means of writing Somali. The committee considered nine scripts, including Arabic, Latin, and various indigenous scripts. Its report, issued in 1962, favored the Latin script, which the committee regarded as the best suited to represent the phonemic structure of Somali and flexible enough to be adjusted for the dialects. Facility with a Latin system, moreover, offered obvious advantages to those who sought higher education outside the country. Modern printing equipment would also be more easily and reasonably available for Latin type. Existing Somali grammars prepared by foreign scholars, although outdated for modern teaching methods, would give some initial advantage in the preparation of teaching materials. Disagreement had been so intense among opposing factions, however, that no action was taken to adopt a standard script, although successive governments continued to reiterate their intention to resolve the issue.

This is from the US Library of Congress' dossier on pre-war Somalia. They attribute the idea of an investigation into a Somali script to the SYL. However, the SYL could not pass the legislation and it was left unattended until 1972, which was coincidentally the 10th anniversary of the committee's original recommendation.

2. The drought of the 1970's was severe but mind you, Barre's solution was airlifting populations permanently away from their homes to different parts of the country. This was treating the symptoms not the illness. Furthermore, Barre most likely did this to shake up clan demographics which was a major component of his tenure.

I also believe he was behind the murder of Somalia's President, Cabdirashiid Cali Sharmarke and that's why he was obsessed with ethnically cleansing Majeerteen, this is a Machiavellian move; scorched earth policy and leave no man behind to avenge Cabdirashiid.

Anyway, he got his just ending on this earth, he was chased out by savages and then died in a toilet in Nigeria. A disgraceful end for a disgraceful being.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
He said he'd pray to Jesus in exchange for weapons, ordered the murder, poisoning, rape and bombing of innocent civilians. Don't put anything past this evil man.

If I was told he worshipped Ibliis, I'd believe it.

Siad Barre was a member or puppet of The Christian Fundamentalist Political Group "The Family", a book was written on it and also a documentary on Netflix.

The American ambassador to Somalia under Barre recounted that Barre was known by the Arab diplomats as a heavy drinker and an unserious muslim.

Apparently to gain their approval, he asked the Egyptian embassy for a copy of a new movie about prophet Muhammad (PBUH). He claimed to have become more interested in Islam but none of them believed him.

This excerpt is particularly damning of Barre:

Screen Shot 2021-06-30 at 1.49.04 am.png

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

The American ambassador to Somalia under Barre recounted that Barre was known by the Arab diplomats as a heavy drinker and an unserious muslim.

Apparently to gain their approval, he asked the Egyptian embassy for a copy of a new movie about prophet Muhammad (PBUH). He claimed to have become more interested in Islam but none of them believed him.

This excerpt is particularly damning of Barre.

Great find.

I find it so funny when his deranged clansmen try to paint him as some sort of hero. But they love lying about obviously shady individuals, such as Hirabu Goita Tedros, who was described as such in Futuh Al Habesha aka the Somali Muslim "Conquest of Abyssinnia".

I bring this up to say, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree and if you want to know the state of a people, look at who they elect to lead them:

The army camped around the city (Harar; my own barracks), with each tribe being kept apart from the others. The tribe of the Marraihan was, however, wavering. Their chieftain was a man fond of intrigue and procrastination. Extremely wily, he loved double-dealing and swindles. The imam organised some of his soldiers and went to the Marraihan and confronted Hirabu and his tribe and said to him: β€˜Why are you lagging behind in coming on the jihad? Hirabu complained about his plight, and excused himself on the grounds of his poverty-stricken state.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
Another interesting thing is that in the US ambassador's book about the Kacaan, he may have let slip that the Arab nations may have caused Siyaad's car accident.

In an excerpt, he mentions that some ambassadors tell him that Siyaad is going to abroad for serious medical treatment to the US. The ambassador does his due diligence and finds out that this is not the case. In his next meeting with Barre, they both come to the conclusion that this is not the case.

However, not long after Barre goes into a serious accident and is airlifted to Saudi Arabia.

Screen Shot 2021-06-30 at 1.55.19 am.png

This excerpt refers to a meeting in 1985. In May 1986, Barre goes into a life-threatening accident.

Sh*t is sus.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP

But 1 thing is clear, 2 things Barre cannot be accused of : Death of Abdi Rashid Sharmake AUN and Death of General Daud AUN.

I do not think he had a hand in Sharmarke's death. The coup was ready to go at any time and the assassination was their opening to seize power.

However, I think the USSR dealt with General Daud so that Barre could take over from him.

Last edited:

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
@Periplus

This Marehan guy called Warsame from the UK, who is an extreme Kacaanist and historical revisionist, wrote a biography of his late, disgraced uncle.
He used to write on Somali forums under "Warsame21" and is half Isaaq ironically. :ftw9nwa::ftw9nwa:

Someone should write the true story.

I would love to write books on these topics:

1. The formation of Somalia: The history of Somaliweyn, SYL and the British

2. The SYL administration

3. Barre's coup and his early years.

These three topics are the most whitewashed periods of Somali history. Many people do not accurately know how Somalia obtained independence, how the two colonies formed Somalia as well as how Barre got power.

Trending

Latest posts