this is how they are living in war torn syria

yasmeen

summer break 7/1-?
Exactly the point I was making, besides Syrians are highly liberal.

Would you have said that had your entire family been killed, arrested, and exiled?

Indeed. My family was targeted. I have immediate relatives who have shared their traumas with me. And still they believe that we would’ve been better off with that old government. What does that tell you?

Exactly the point I was making, besides Syrians are highly liberal.
Most Syrians are in the middle, some are very religious, most leaning toward the conservative even if they don't practice much as they grow into it, and then you have the liberal few that speak in cringe English like those women, equating whitewashing for sophistication, pretty standard in the Arab world elites.

Indeed. My family was targeted. I have immediate relatives who have shared their traumas with me. And still they believe that we would’ve been better off with that old government. What does that tell you?
If so, then they are better people, and more forgiving that I, and my family.

I mean this literally in Somalia too ?
Correct. Many of us abhor the current state of Somalia, but have lost so much under the military regime, that we are accepting of its legacy, which is what we see today. Yet, many seem to be drawing a distinction, which is not quite there.

Last edited:
Most Syrians are in the middle, some are very religious, most leaning toward the conservative even if they don't practice much as they grow into it, and then you have the liberal few that speak in cringe English like those women, equating whitewashing for sophistication, pretty standard in the Arab world elites.
Many of the Syrians I have come into contact with abroad are quite liberal, and view Islam through the same prism as Somalis: something they had been born into, but know nigh to naught about, yet pick and choose i.e. keep the headscarf, yet no problem with alcohol, shisha, cannabis, esp in men.

Postscript:
I was in Antakya, a city by the border of Turkiye & Syria, with city population being split between the two, and I must admit the Syrians I met there were very conservative, albeit this was when 7alab was burning.

Plus Syrians are one of the most skilled, and educated people in the MidEast.

Last edited:
Many of the Syrians I have come into contact with abroad are quite liberal, and view Islam through the same prism as Somalis: something they had been born into, but know nigh to naught about, yet pick and choose i.e. keep the headscarf, yet no problem with alcohol, shisha, cannabis, esp in men.

Postscript:
I was in Antakya, a city by the border of Turkiye & Syria, with city population being split between the two, and I must admit the Syrians I met there were very conservative, albeit this was when 7alab was burning.

Plus Syrians are one of the most skilled, and educated people in the MidEast.
You know they say a Syrian speaks better comprehensive Arabic than a man from the Peninsula.

@Shimbiris is that true?:icon lol:

yasmeen

summer break 7/1-?
If so, then they are better people, and more forgiving that I.

Correct. Many of us abhor the current state of Somalia, but have lost so much under the military regime, that we are accepting of its legacy, which is what we see today. Yet, many seem to be drawing a distinction, which is not quite there.

After the last 30 something years, can you with a straight face tell me any action the old government did is comparable to the suffering that has happened since their ousting? I understand they’re responsible for a ton of injustices and I am not excusing or defending what had happened but still…do you believe we were better off after the rebels took over?

Because if so, this is where you lost me.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
You know they say a Syrian speaks better comprehensive Arabic than a man from the Peninsula.

@Shimbiris is that true?:icon lol:

Very sweet and sing-song accents up north in general. I prefer the pizazz and ruggedness of the Peninsula. VIVA NAJD! VIVA KHALEEJ!

arab GIF

After the last 30 something years, can you with a straight face tell me any action the old government did is comparable to the suffering that has happened since their ousting? I understand they’re responsible for a ton of injustices and I am not excusing or defending what had happened but still…do you believe we were better off after the rebels took over?

Because if so, this is where you lost me.
Yes, walaal. As the old Somali proverb goes: 'I'd rather live like a lion for a day than a mouse in a million'. As a nomad, I'd rather struggle for years, and have my 'qab' and 'han' intact, than live in subjugation.

Trending