Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Man up (please don't pick this)

Votes: 6 37.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kratos

Sonder
Ever since I started uni hooyo has been talking about marriage a lot. She says I need to flirt with some Somali girls on campus before they get snatched up. I told her I'm not interested in marriage right now and that I'll get married after I've graduated, worked for a few years and I'm financially secure. She said "astaghfirullah" and she quoted her 2nd favourite hadith; the one where it says you should not delay marriage or something like that. Little does she know that I'm a gaal :siilaanyolaugh:. This is getting tough for me because I can't tell hooyo I'm a gaal (I'll get disowned), I can't marry a non-Somali girl (I'll get disowned) and I can't marry a muslim girl (for obvious personal reasons). I currently have three options:

1) Find a Somali girl who is non-Muslim but is willing to pretend to be muslim in front of my family but we will live our lives as gaalo and raise our kids in a gaal house hold (my ideal situation)
2) After I graduate, do a PhD and hope that my siblings get married before me and that my family forgets or gives up on me
3) Man up and tell her the truth (I really want to avoid this situation)

I'm leaning towards doing the PhD to be honest, at least I'll be getting an advanced qualification and maybe even produce something beneficial to mankind. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Instead of being full gaal, you could say you are liberal/ non practicing/secular muslim. If you do that you will have a better chance of finding a somali girl who is not religious.

Kratos

Sonder
Instead of being full gaal, you could say you are liberal/ non practicing/secular muslim. If you do that you will have a better chance of finding a somali girl who is not religious.

What's the difference between being a non-practising muslim and a gaal? Btw I don't call myself gaal in real life, I'm just using the Sspot lingo

Kratos

Sonder
Education first and then man up and tell her you're not muslim.

That sounds like a solid plan tbh. I don't think I'm ready to get disowned right now but by the time I'm 26-28 and I have a PhD I think I'll be more open to it.

4head

The one and only 4head
VIP
That sounds like a solid plan tbh. I don't think I'm ready to get disowned right now but by the time I'm 26-28 and I have a PhD I think I'll be more open to it.

I'm looking for a solid somali girl but i'm not muslim too and I'm waiting to finish my college years and then I'll tell them my secret :trumpsmirk:it's rare to meet a somali girl who is a gaal

Kratos

Sonder
I'm looking for a solid somali girl but i'm not muslim too and I'm waiting to finish my college years and then I'll tell them my secret :trumpsmirk:it's rare to meet a somali girl who is a gaal

There probably are quite a few. They are just a) in the closet or b) they don't f*ck with Somali guys. Most ex-muslims from a muslim majority ethnicity/nationality don't date/marry into their own community for obvious reasons.

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
What's the difference between being a non-practising muslim and a gaal? Btw I don't call myself gaal in real life, I'm just using the Sspot lingo

Belief is the key differentiator. Imagine if a 'liberal/secular' Muslim marries an undercover atheist. And over time one becomes religious and the other stays the same. It could invariably lead to discord.

Ever since I started uni hooyo has been talking about marriage a lot. She says I need to flirt with some Somali girls on campus before they get snatched up. I told her I'm not interested in marriage right now and that I'll get married after I've graduated, worked for a few years and I'm financially secure. She said "astaghfirullah" and she quoted her 2nd favourite hadith; the one where it says you should not delay marriage or something like that. Little does she know that I'm a gaal :siilaanyolaugh:. This is getting tough for me because I can't tell hooyo I'm a gaal (I'll get disowned), I can't marry a non-Somali girl (I'll get disowned) and I can't marry a muslim girl (for obvious personal reasons). I currently have three options:

1) Find a Somali girl who is non-Muslim but is willing to pretend to be muslim in front of my family but we will live our lives as gaalo and raise our kids in a gaal house hold (my ideal situation)
2) After I graduate, do a PhD and hope that my siblings get married before me and that my family forgets or gives up on me
3) Man up and tell her the truth (I really want to avoid this situation)

I'm leaning towards doing the PhD to be honest, at least I'll be getting an advanced qualification and maybe even produce something beneficial to mankind. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

If u really wanna get a PhD tell ur mom to stfu and tell her this is ur life. That’s my advice to u

4head

The one and only 4head
VIP
There probably are quite a few. They are just a) in the closet or b) they don't f*ck with Somali guys. Most ex-muslims from a muslim majority ethnicity/nationality don't date/marry into their own community for obvious reasons.
I'll look for an ajaannib girl then

Kratos

Sonder
Belief is the key differentiator. Imagine if a 'liberal/secular' Muslim marries an undercover atheist. And over time one becomes religious and the other stays the same. It could invariably lead to discord.

Yeah true but would a practising Muslim want to marry a non-practising/secular one? Doubt it. Might as well find yourself a non/ex-Muslim. Though I can see the appeal for an atheist/agnostic to marry a secular Muslim.

Last edited:

Kratos

Sonder
If u really wanna get a PhD tell ur mom to stfu and tell her this is ur life. That’s my advice to u

I am actually interested in getting a PhD (besides for avoiding marriage). There are a lot of interesting research opportunities in my field of study so maybe.

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
Yeah true but would a practising Muslim want to marry a non-practising/secular one? Doubt it. Might as well find yourself non/ex-Muslim. Though I can see the appeal for an atheist/agnostic to marry a secular Muslim.

Actually, the secular Muslim would be better off marrying a secular Muslim. Either of the other options is mismatched in terms of religiousity. Also, what if the practicing Muslim switches up and goes secular? While the secular one becomes more practicing. What then?

With all do respect, our parents generation didn't have this issue. :farmajoyaab:

Status
Not open for further replies.