Somaliland is becoming increasingly religious and women's representation in political is regressing

Is it a good thing that SL is becoming more religious?

• Yes, other parts of the country are too

Votes: 13 59.1%
  • No, it increases human rights violations

Votes: 9 40.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
You didn't understand me maybe, you have no choice in the number of women in your parliament, you have to follow the quotation given to you by the international community who are the aid doners

The recommodation came from a native Somali man working on human rights and was later adopted by Parliament.

The results stands that 50 % of SL population only has 1 representative while Somalis at least get 24 % :damedamn:

Come on, I have no issues with beesha darod but I won't sit quietly while some members of your clan are this rapid, if Isaaq was doing this you wouldn't equally sit there quietly and take it
:ayaanswag:
Waryaa I'm not like you.
Find 4 or 5 Isaaqs talking mad shit about Daroods on twitter of all places.
And then turn around and start generalizing about all Isaaqs.
:faysalwtf:

Some members of your clan kulaha.
:dead::dead:

Do you not know how big the darood clan is??
:mjlol:

5 people are supposed to represent all of us on twitter now???
:damn:

Just admit it you have a huge issue with us.
Even though none of us were alive during Siyaad Barre's time.
AUN to your people.

:ayaanswag:
Waryaa I'm not like you.
Find 4 or 5 Isaaqs talking mad shit about Daroods on twitter of all places.
And then turn around and start generalizing about all Isaaqs.
:faysalwtf:

Some members of your clan kulaha.
:dead::dead:

Do you not know how big the darood clan is??
:mjlol:

5 people are supposed to represent all of us on twitter now???
:damn:

Just admit it you have a huge issue with us.
Even though none of us were alive during Siyaad Barre's time.
AUN to your people.

He's treating us like we were personally responsible for bombing his forefathers even though we were born several years after the civil war:faysalwtf:

Also I can't believe that the 90's are not 10 years ago, 2007 is 10 years ago
:mjcry:

waraabe

Your superior
The recommodation came from a native Somali man working on human rights and was later adopted by Parliament.

The results stands that 50 % of SL population only has 1 representative while Somalis at least get 24 % :damedamn:

http://www.un.org/democracyfund/news/undef-project-helps-get-more-women-parliament-somalia

recognised by UN Security Council resolution 1325, there needs to be full participation of women for sustainable peace

you don't have a choice. Don't get me wrong every nation should have women in its highest posts and representative offices but don't take shots at Somaliland when you don't even have a choice in the matter in your own parliament

waraabe

Your superior
He's treating us like we were personally responsible for bombing his forefathers even though we were born several years after the civil war:faysalwtf:

there you go with the topic change again :ayaanswag:

when have I said anything about Barre or the civil war?

deflect when you are flopping :siilaanyolaugh:

Exactly it's his family tho.
That's how he was probably raised.
:manny:

My family had nothing to do with the Somali government during Siyaad Barre's time.

We were too busy going through our own mess with the Ethiopians in Ogadenia.
:kodaksmiley:
He makes the Darood clan seem so small.
And like we all answer to each other.

There's like a million sub clans within sub clans in the Darood qaabil.
:umwhat:

waraabe

Your superior
To be honest it is an ambition of 30 %, not a law and they only did to 24 %, so it shows that it is not set in stone :dabcasar:

sister, its wise to know when you are beaten. Somaliland has a very few women at the top due to conservative society that has certain understanding of women's role in society and that will hopefully change in the short coming future, this cant be denied but I wont allow you to try and use it as some point scoring against Somaliland.

wa bilahi towfiiq

sister, its wise to know when you are beaten. Somaliland has a very few women at the top due to conservative society that has certain understanding of women's role in society and that will hopefully change in the short coming future, this cant be denied but I wont allow you to try and use it as some point scoring against Somaliland.

wa bilahi towfiiq

What? :ileycry:

You were just defending it in the first comments you made to this thread :faysalwtf:

You more inconcistent than Swiss cheese:farole:

I think the woman qoutas are the way to go and that Somalia neeeds to be pressured to do what is right for once. Women qoutas for all, it is the way to go :fittytousand:

waraabe

Your superior
What? :ileycry:

You were just defending it in the first comments you made to this thread :faysalwtf:

You more inconcistent than Swiss cheese:farole:

you love to argue for the sake of arguing, honestly I think you like me (its not your fault, I am a well liked person :mjswag:)

I said it needs to be an organic change not one dictated by foreigners.

you love to argue for the sake of arguing, honestly I think you like me (its not your fault, I am a well liked person :mjswag:)

I said it needs to be an organic change not one dictated by foreigners.

So you admit it is a bad thing that women are being denied political positions because they are women? :ayaanswag:

You just changed from your intial positions that it was a good tradition :dabcasar:

Change is slow and the damage is real, I think women qoutas are the way to go:fittytousand:

waraabe

Your superior
So you admit it is a bad thing that women are being denied political positions because they are women? :ayaanswag:

You just changed from your intial positions that it was a good tradition :dabcasar:

Change is slow and the damage is real, I think women qoutas are the way to go:fittytousand:

women should be in top government posts and should have 50% of mps since they roughly make up 50% of the population but we wont accept foreigners dictating to us who we can include in our parliament and how many seats should be allocated to who. Next is gay people need to have representation if we listen to foreigners

women should be in top government posts and should have 50% of mps since they roughly make up 50% of the population but we wont accept foreigners dictating to us who we can include in our parliament and how many seats should be allocated to who. Next is gay people need to have representation if we listen to foreigners

I don't mind that either :siilaanyosmile:

I want a fabolous congress filled with glitter and the rupaul antheme :fittytousand:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

waraabe

Your superior
These people just argue for the sake of it. Dirta wooqoyi brother @jugjugwacwac who is in the right here since they will accuse you of less bias compared to me

Ehtiopia is our enemy and filth, I have no standard for them besides contempt.

Somalia is moving towards more inclusion but faces the same problems as SL: Religious extremisme, tribalism and corruption.

I'd like to see those solved and the first part of that is admitting something is wrong and needs to be changed. I'd gladly admit that Somalis has all those problem in addition with secruity problems that SL doesn't suffer.

I think this level of religious control is bad for SL as capable women are denied leading their country in major buisness or trough political life simply because they are women.

I see what you're doing steam and this sleight of hand tactic of yours is a low blow.:ufdup:

Firstly, the rather click-bait title and question you posed doesn't really correlate fully with what's on the German based article you posted (which is an semi-old article that I've even bookmarked several months ago).

Yes the article contains references to conservatism (mainly in dress) but the way you spinned it to mean that Islam is a main factor in the minimal presence of women in politics doesn't really add up.

Surely if growing 'religiosity' is stagnating Somali women in politics, then why does the article clearly state that women are thriving in the private sector in all manners of jobs which i can (anecdotally) confirm with my past several visits to SL?

Tldr: why are women in the private sector not adversely affected by religiosity?

I am a Somalinimo man through and through but even i must concede that what's harming womens involvement in politics (in this case) is the qabil based culture and not religion.

Check this article out steam (again, bookmarked on phone):

https://www.theguardian.com/global-...liland-clan-loyalty-women-political-prospects

Women face few restrictions in Somaliland, the self-declared independent republic in the north-western corner of conflict-ridden Somalia. They can work, own property, and be vocal on social issues. But politics remains a man's world in the former British protectorate, an oasis of stability in the region.

-

The clans want men because they know where the men's loyalties lie. When women marry, their loyalty changes to her husband's clan," says Abdi.

Now, political representation for women and even working-class men (see post industrial UK) is a recent phenomenon in history (last 100 yrs) but it's sad that women in the region aren't getting there yet.

I'm not in favour of quotas in general but i believe a respectable quota of 30% or less is needed in Somaliland to kick things off.

Also, this is from the DW article you posted:

I really wish the rest of the world would pass over what women are wearing and focus on what women are contributing to the community and country," 29-year-old dentist Zainab said, relaxing in a café in Hargeisa after work.

To any sjw saviours out there, hear them out first!!!
:chrisfreshhah::salute:

:whew:was in my lunch break but got triggered.

P.s. voted yes:westbrookswag:

I see what you're doing steam and this sleight of hand tactic of yours is a low blow.:ufdup:

Firstly, the rather click-bait title and question you posed doesn't really correlate fully with what's on the German based article you posted (which is an semi-old article that I've even bookmarked several months ago).

Yes the article contains references to conservatism (mainly in dress) but the way you spinned it to mean that Islam is a main factor in the minimal presence of women in politics doesn't really add up.

Surely if growing 'religiosity' is stagnating Somali women in politics, then why does the article clearly state that women are thriving in the private sector in all manners of jobs which i can (anecdotally) confirm with my past several visits to SL?

Tldr: why are women in the private sector not adversely affected by religiosity?

I am a Somalinimo man through and through but even i must concede that what's harming womens involvement in politics (in this case) is the qabil based culture and not religion.

Check this article out steam (again, bookmarked on phone):

https://www.theguardian.com/global-...liland-clan-loyalty-women-political-prospects

Women face few restrictions in Somaliland, the self-declared independent republic in the north-western corner of conflict-ridden Somalia. They can work, own property, and be vocal on social issues. But politics remains a man's world in the former British protectorate, an oasis of stability in the region.

-

The clans want men because they know where the men's loyalties lie. When women marry, their loyalty changes to her husband's clan," says Abdi.

Now, political representation for women and even working-class men (see post industrial UK) is a recent phenomenon in history (last 100 yrs) but it's sad that women in the region aren't getting there yet.

I'm not in favour of quotas in general but i believe a respectable quota of 30% or less is needed in Somaliland to kick things off.

Also, this is from the DW article you posted:

I really wish the rest of the world would pass over what women are wearing and focus on what women are contributing to the community and country," 29-year-old dentist Zainab said, relaxing in a café in Hargeisa after work.

To any sjw saviours out there, hear them out first!!!
:chrisfreshhah::salute:

:whew:was in my lunch break but got triggered.

P.s. voted yes:westbrookswag:

Do you really think that writing a wall of text is going to remove my main argument that women's role is regressing in politics?

They can own proporty kulaha, like that is suppoused to be admirable, what are they, slaves? :draketf:

My main argument still stand as only ONE woman represents 50 % of the country, and that qoutas would be helpful in combatting that disparity. Something Somalia have already done :mjohreally:

Woman are at forfront of patrichical system because they serve as a good representative for the policies, it is why many right-wing movements are served by woman, doesn't change the underlying reality as the article points out, if you'd have read it:heh:

Women aren't in major position of buisness as men are prefered and the same goes for your political system. It sets a ceiling and it is not just a SL problem, but a Somali problem that have adopted a fucked value system from arabs :kanyehmm:

Do you really think that writing a wall of text is going to remove my main argument that women's role is regressing in politics?

They can own proporty kulaha, like that is suppoused to be admirable, what are they, slaves? :draketf:

My main argument still stand as only ONE woman represents 50 % of the country, and that qoutas would be helpful in combatting that disparity. Something Somalia have already done :mjohreally:

Woman are at forfront of patrichical system because they serve as a good representative for the policies, it is why many right-wing movements are served by woman, doesn't change the underlying reality as the article points out, if you'd have read it:heh:

Women aren't in major position of buisness as men are prefered and the same goes for your political system. It sets a ceiling and it is not just a SL problem, but a Somali problem that have adopted a fucked value system from arabs :kanyehmm:

If you read my post again, you can clearly see that I'm not doubting that womens roles in politics are barely visible and that it needs to improve.
:what1:

However, I'm countering your viewpoint as shown on the thread title that growing religious conservatism (Islam) is to blame when in this case it's not.

By the way, I'm not defending backwards and archaic interpretations of Islam which affects women politically in other countries like Saudi Arabia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending