Somaliland is becoming increasingly religious and women's representation in political is regressing

Is it a good thing that SL is becoming more religious?

• Yes, other parts of the country are too

Votes: 13 59.1%
  • No, it increases human rights violations

Votes: 9 40.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Those are the claims made in this article:
http://www.dw.com/en/muslim-womens-changing-dress-code-in-somaliland/a-19247382

One notiable comment:

"But the existence of restrictions on women in political life in Somaliland cannot be argued away so easily.

"Without a women's quota I don't think there will be any more women in parliament," Baar Saed Farah told DW. She is the only woman in Somaliland's 82-member Lower Chamber and was referring to efforts to reserve 30 seats for women at the upcoming elections in 2017. Women are not permitted in the 82-member House of Elders in the Upper Chamber."

I think SL has codified what most of Somalia does in pratice - exclude women. Somalia's federal parliament only has higher representation because they were forced to have a qouta, and I think the same is needed here.

waraabe

Your superior
Yes good. We don't need more ayan hirsis or gay imams being bred in hargeisa

Ps does your country Ethiopia hold elections? Do they have women quotas?

I agree with waraabe.

Somalia is an Islamic country and should remain islamic country !

Good work reer somaliland.

I agree with waraabe.

Somalia is an Islamic country and should remain islamic country !

Good work reer somaliland.

So women have to be dressed in black from top to toe and not be allowed political seats?

That's just misogyny older than Islam and later adopted by ithe arabs and spread to Somalia :yacadiim:

We need to protect our culture and religion from foreign influence. Simple

You didn't answer my questions about your country Ethiopia though

So arab influence is not foreign? Because that fundementalist approach did not start in SL or Somalia but among a rich fat cats in the arabian peninsula :ayaanswag:

I'm not from Ehtiopia, and my mother is from SL and my father is from the South, and they used to live in the capital :farole:

So arab influence is not foreign? Because that fundementalist approach did not start in SL or Somalia but among a rich fat cats in the arabian peninsula :ayaanswag:

I'm not from Ehtiopia, and my mother is from SL and my father is from the South, and they used to live in the capital :farole:
Again everyone confuses you with me.
:ayaanswag:

Yes my family is from Ethiopia.
We're Somali tho so what's y'alls point.
:umwhat:
:mjlol:

waraabe

Your superior
He needs to dehumanize us and distance himself from us to make himself feel greater :dabcasar:

Nope, I am not greater than anyone but I am just wondering when your crusade against Somaliland will stop since both Ethiopia and Somalia aren't exactly free democratic nations. It seems you hold Somaliland to a different standard than Somalia and Ethiopia

Nope, I am not greater than anyone but I am just wondering when your crusade against Somaliland will stop since both Ethiopia and Somalia aren't exactly free democratic nations. It seems you hold Somaliland to a different standard than Somalia and Ethiopia

Ehtiopia is our enemy and filth, I have no standard for them besides contempt.

Somalia is moving towards more inclusion but faces the same problems as SL: Religious extremisme, tribalism and corruption.

I'd like to see those solved and the first part of that is admitting something is wrong and needs to be changed. I'd gladly admit that Somalis has all those problem in addition with secruity problems that SL doesn't suffer.

I think this level of religious control is bad for SL as capable women are denied leading their country in major buisness or trough political life simply because they are women.

waraabe

Your superior
:sass2:
Ethnically our people are Somali no matter what country they live in.

If you allow them to starve based off your misplaced hatred and ciil.

I hope you can live with yourself.
:francis:

I actually donated to Somalia and Somaliland so no ciil or hate, my parents donated in 2011 famine in Somalia and my mother was even fundraising in her work place. That is the difference between (not you) us and you. We don't get angry when the media covers what is happening in Somalia but some of your people do get angry when the word Somaliland is mentioned.

waraabe

Your superior
Ehtiopia is our enemy and filth, I have no standard for them besides contempt.

Somalia is moving towards more inclusion but faces the same problems as SL: Religious extremisme, tribalism and corruption.

I'd like to see those solved and the first part of that is admitting something is wrong and needs to be changed. I'd gladly admit that Somalis has all those problem in addition with secruity problems that SL doesn't suffer.

I think this level of religious control is bad for SL as capable women are denied leading their country in major buisness or trough political life simply because they are women.

Is Somaliland more or less democratic than Somalia? Are there any women in Somalia's important cabinet positions?

Is Somaliland more or less democratic than Somalia? Are there any women in Somalia's important cabinet positions?

Dependence on your definition of democratic. You've had actual democrativ votes on your own but we have the better representation as our new Parliament has more women (24 %) and young people who make up more than 70 % of the Somali population.

We'll find out today, I'm not hopeful though as it seems the old faces are coming back :bell:

I actually donated to Somalia and Somaliland so no ciil or hate, my parents donated in 2011 famine in Somalia and my mother was even fundraising in her work place. That is the difference between (not you) us and you. We don't get angry when the media covers what is happening in Somalia but some of your people do get angry when the word Somaliland is mentioned.
Whose we?

Again you're using 4 or 5 Daroods on twitter to blame my whole large qaabil of Daroods.
:faysalwtf:

The rest of us didn't get angry we might be disappointed that there isn't more mainstream coverage featuring all of Somalia and Somali Galbeed.
But that's towards the international journalism community.

But nobody's angry at y'all.
:bell:
Somaliland is in Somalia nobody's mad tf.
Only you make Somaliland and Somalia seem like two countries on the opposite sides of the world.
:what1:

Stop using this as an excuse to hate on us Daroods.
:kodaksmiley:

waraabe

Your superior
Dependence on your definition of democratic. You've had actual democrativ votes on your own but we have the better representation as our new Parliament has more women (24 %) and young people who make up more than 70 % of the Somali population.

We'll find out today, I'm not hopeful though as it seems the old faces are coming back :bell:

You simply don't, you are forced to include a certain % of women in your parliament by aid doners and Somaliland isn't forced which would explain why a instagram make up artist is a member of your parliament. Secondly I can buy a seat in your parliament so no democratic value there what so ever. I hope you lose the cuqdad and hate. Peace

You simply don't, you are forced to include a certain % of women in your parliament by aid doners and Somaliland isn't forced which would explain why a instagram make up artist is a member of your parliament. Secondly I can buy a seat in your parliament so no democratic value there what so ever. I hope you lose the cuqdad and hate. Peace

Stil better representation than 74 year old men, whem 70 % of the population is under 30.

I think diverse people can make better decisions than a close circel, but you're right that corruption was rampant and it was shameful. Hopefully, we can change that with time.

waraabe

Your superior
Whose we?

Again you're using 4 or 5 Daroods on twitter to blame my whole large qaabil of Daroods.
:faysalwtf:

The rest of us didn't get angry we might be disappointed that there isn't more mainstream coverage featuring all of Somalia and Somali Galbeed.
But that's towards the international journalism community.

But nobody's angry at y'all.
:bell:
Somaliland is in Somalia nobody's mad tf.
Only you make Somaliland and Somalia seem like two countries on the opposite sides of the world.
:what1:

Stop using this as an excuse to hate on us Daroods.
:kodaksmiley:

Come on, I have no issues with beesha darod but I won't sit quietly while some members of your clan are this sick, if Isaaq was doing this you wouldn't equally sit there quietly and take it

Last edited:

waraabe

Your superior
Stil better representation than 74 year old men, whem 70 % of the population is under 30.

I think diverse people can make better decisions than a close circel, but you're right that corruption was rampant and it was shameful. Hopefully, we can change that with time.

You didn't understand me maybe, you have no choice in the number of women in your parliament, you have to follow the quotation given to you by the international community who are the aid doners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending