Somaliland Factories, Mills and Mining Thread

Genie

The last suugo bender
My long dream of making Somaliland the state of Somalia that is technologically advanced much like what california is to the USA i want Somaliland to be just that. With dahabshiil ,telecom and somtell and other tech companies taking off i too in the future would like to create chain of innovative tech companies geared toward helping our economy and aiding our agricultural and fishing prowess , that will reel the somali people forward into the world of economics swell as computing and programming. I don't have solid plans as of yet I'm 18 and in my first year of uni doing computer science with cyber security , I'm also doing business minor and languages (online classes). Any advice from the older generation on here about how i can go about doing this and starting a business , I'm genuinely serious about this. Had this dream since i was 14 not gonna stop now. Thanks.

Get in contact with your reer and ask for help starting a business, preferably in a big city.

If you got a politically connected reer it will help

Genie

The last suugo bender
Get in contact with your reer and ask for help starting a business, preferably in a big city.

If you got a politically connected reer it will help

big city are you sure? wouldn't loses be well... bigger and risks be bigger. ill consult my reer tho thats a good place to start.

So what exactly is ur business going to be centered around? No point in looking for advice if your not sure about what you want to create

My long dream of making Somaliland the state of Somalia that is technologically advanced much like what california is to the USA i want Somaliland to be just that. With dahabshiil ,telecom and somtell and other tech companies taking off i too in the future would like to create chain of innovative tech companies geared toward helping our economy and aiding our agricultural and fishing prowess , that will reel the somali people forward into the world of economics swell as computing and programming. I don't have solid plans as of yet I'm 18 and in my first year of uni doing computer science with cyber security , I'm also doing business minor and languages (online classes). Any advice from the older generation on here about how i can go about doing this and starting a business , I'm genuinely serious about this. Had this dream since i was 14 not gonna stop now. Thanks.

First off, If you want to start your own Silicon Valley, Computer Science is not a good major for it.
Software Engineering or Computer Systems Engineering is the major you need.
You will need to know Hardware and operating systems concepts along with circuits and digital analysis as well as computer architecture and the boundary between software and hardware which is not covered by computer science since it is mostly theoretical math and whatnot.
My first intentions once i joined this forum was to find like minded somalis in engineering mainly Computer and Software and electrical so that we can pool ideas and find solution for Somalia. It definitely is not a thing one person can accomplish themselves.

I suggest you try Coop first and work on alot of side projects and things that genuinely interest you. Open up a Github account and post some of your projects on it. Try working in the industry after you graduate and see what the market out there is like.

I have dreams to build a tech industry as well in Somalia, because I know just working for cadaan people in a company for the rest of your life is not the way to live at all. At some point in time you want to be self-employed and free of any orders.

Its good you are formulating some plans right now, just have a clear end goal and work hards towards it.

Genie

The last suugo bender
So what exactly is ur business going to be centered around? No point in looking for advice if your not sure about what you want to create

I have a general gist of the end result I'm missing the middle and a half of the beginning if you will. i still need to know how to start a business to help me begin planning the middle and the end if that makes any sense.

Genie

The last suugo bender
First off, If you want to start your own Silicon Valley, Computer Science is not a good major for it.
Software Engineering or Computer Systems Engineering is the major you need.
You will need to know Hardware and operating systems concepts along with circuits and digital analysis as well as computer architecture and the boundary between software and hardware which is not covered by computer science since it is mostly theoretical math and whatnot.
My first intentions once i joined this forum was to find like minded somalis in engineering mainly Computer and Software and electrical so that we can pool ideas and find solution for Somalia. It definitely is not a thing one person can accomplish themselves.

I suggest you try Coop first and work on alot of side projects and things that genuinely interest you. Open up a Github account and post some of your projects on it. Try working in the industry after you graduate and see what the market out there is like.

I have dreams to build a tech industry as well in Somalia, because I know just working for cadaan people in a company for the rest of your life is not the way to live at all. At some point in time you want to be self-employed and free of any orders.

Its good you are formulating some plans right now, just have a clear end goal and work hards towards it.

Most of the topics we study in my university are operating systems , software ,network systems , security forensics, artificial intelligence ,Design and Analysis of Data Structures and Algorithms, Data, Schemas and Applications , Software Engineering Enterprise Systems Developments,cryptography among other topics throughout the three years I'm very interested in cyber security i just adore it , In the UK we have the cyber security challenge annually so thats a lot of fun! I'm most interested in that but I'm willing to extend these topics to make my dream work. So i will heed your advice insha'allah our plans come true and our hard work pays off.

Btw i can still change majors or degrees here we can do that luckily computer science in closely related to computer and software engineering so they'll let me switch over .... i hope.

Most of the topics we study in my university are operating systems , software ,network systems , security forensics, artificial intelligence ,Design and Analysis of Data Structures and Algorithms, Data, Schemas and Applications , Software Engineering Enterprise Systems Developments,cryptography among other topics throughout the three years I'm very interested in cyber security i just adore it , In the UK we have the cyber security challenge annually so thats a lot of fun! I'm most interested in that but I'm willing to extend these topics to make my dream work. So i will heed your advice insha'allah our plans come true and our hard work pays off.

Btw i can still change majors or degrees here we can do that luckily computer science in closely related to computer and software engineering so they'll let me switch over .... i hope.

If you have a passion for Cyber Security then go for it, anything you like if you work hard you will succeed. Its just that in SL/Somalia it barely has any power source and resources to actually build a computer, so thats why i said Computer Engineering and Software covers the Hardware aspect of the Computers, you learn how to design microprocessors and chips, you learn how to actually configure a computer with operating systems program, and integrated circuits, which can come in handy for when you want to design your own computers which is key if you want a silicon valley and you also become a competent programmer, so its a jack of all trades program.

Just go on reddit and read up on every topic and form your own conclusion and don't change your major hastily.

Anyways if you got more questions you can ask me. We need more Somalis in the tech field inshaalah

Genie

The last suugo bender
If you have a passion for Cyber Security then go for it, anything you like if you work hard you will succeed. Its just that in SL/Somalia it barely has any power source and resources to actually build a computer, so thats why i said Computer Engineering and Software covers the Hardware aspect of the Computers, you learn how to design microprocessors and chips, you learn how to actually configure a computer with operating systems program, and integrated circuits, which can come in handy for when you want to design your own computers which is key if you want a silicon valley and you also become a competent programmer, so its a jack of all trades program.

Just go on reddit and read up on every topic and form your own conclusion and don't change your major hastily.

Anyways if you got more questions you can ask me. We need more Somalis in the tech field inshaalah

I won't change major don't worry i only said that to tell you how easy it is for me to do it. I like cyber security its what introduced me to the computers but i want more than just that you know. i'll study more definitely and ill try my best, i don't have to create masses of computers necessarily we can import them or buy the monitors and screens alike , i just want a company that deals in technologies and innovation that i can then expand , but your right its best to start from scratch,

I have a general gist of the end result I'm missing the middle and a half of the beginning if you will. i still need to know how to start a business to help me begin planning the middle and the end if that makes any sense.

Start a business as in how to sell/market it? I can't help u with physical stores but I've been looking into e-commerce for a while, it's relatively easy and low cost to get started but you do have to do all the leg work when it comes to advertisement. It can be a bit overwhelming when it comes to all the different platforms u can use

I think I kind of get you :cosbyhmm: you've got the product but ur struggling on how to distribute it/ sales aspect no?

Genie

The last suugo bender
Start a business as in how to sell/market it? I can't help u with physical stores but I've been looking into e-commerce for a while, it's relatively easy and low cost to get started but you do have to do all the leg work when it comes to advertisement. It can be a bit overwhelming when it comes to all the different platforms u can use

I think I kind of get you :cosbyhmm: you've got the product but ur struggling on how to distribute it/ sales aspect no?

Not just distribute it but start a company not something huge just a small team , working on technological advancements thoughout the region. its very general nothing specific. But i just wanted to know how i would go about starting up a business of that sort.

Not just distribute it but start a company not something huge just a small team , working on technological advancements thoughout the region. its very general nothing specific. But i just wanted to know how i would go about starting up a business of that sort.

Ah I see, that would require a little bit more work then.

You need to narrow it down, technology advancements is way to broad, many places in Somalia barely has adequate power source/ electricity so you'd need to start from the foundation.

Once you've got that down u can focus on building a team although you might wanna hold off on this if you haven't got any funding, if you don't have any money to pay staff then ur better off getting a partner or two. What you need next is funding, kickstarter is a really neat way to secure investors for a lot of start ups. But be warned, you have to work hard on marketing to secure backers. I'm talking about business plan, long term goals, prototypes, rewards for backers etc and constant updates.

https://www.kickstarter.com i find it helpful to look at successful projects just to get an idea of how i should approach it

If that seems like to much trouble then you could get a loan from a bank I guess, but that comes with it's own set of problems. Go over the pros and cons of banks Vs crowd funding

Genie

The last suugo bender
Ah I see, that would require a little bit more work then.

You need to narrow it down, technology advancements is way to broad, many places in Somalia barely has adequate power source/ electricity so you'd need to start from the foundation.

Once you've got that down u can focus on building a team although you might wanna hold off on this if you haven't got any funding, if you don't have any money to pay staff then ur better off getting a partner or two. What you need next is funding, kickstarter is a really neat way to secure investors for a lot of start ups. But be warned, you have to work hard on marketing to secure backers. I'm talking about business plan, long term goals, prototypes, rewards for backers etc and constant updates.

https://www.kickstarter.com i find it helpful to look at successful projects just to get an idea of how i should approach it

If that seems like to much trouble then you could get a loan from a bank I guess, but that comes with it's own set of problems. Go over the pros and cons of banks Vs crowd funding

ohh okay i see that makes so much sense , i'm thinking of starting on our agricultural problems up north , as the land their is basically barren compared to down south. But what you said makes perfect sense , do you mind if i screenshot your message for future references and all, like i said I'm still premature in all of this i can't keep this in my head until i need it. Sound like hard work still.

Trending

Latest posts