somali women dress/hijab 1980s

Same goes to morocco, shit looked like california before :mjlaugh:
fQoioqNFS5Ia1706gl83Eopl97CzZhWipgnRc9Y2HZY.png
thats crazy

Supposedly Somalis become religious they say but I don’t buy it because it seems we only became religious when it comes to women’s attire and nothing else has really changed. We place alotta of importance on women’s modesty(like the jilbab, hijab, abaaya etc) probably more so than any other Muslims beside the Saudi’s probably. I mean wearing pants as a woman is attributed to being a loose woman in our community, how absurd is that? Honestly I think someone needs to do some in-depth research about this.
i agree i dont think we have become more religious just more controlling towards what somali women wear its just crazy looking at these photos there are also ancient drawings that show somalis dressed in a similar fashion so this is not something new? i think as somali people we are changing our culture jilbab hijab was never a huge part of our daqan as it is now ?

i feel li
Supposedly Somalis become religious they say but I don’t buy it because it seems we only became religious when it comes to women’s attire and nothing else has really changed. We place alotta of importance on women’s modesty(like the jilbab, hijab, abaaya etc) probably more so than any other Muslims beside the Saudi’s probably. I mean wearing pants as a woman is attributed to being a loose woman in our community, how absurd is that? Honestly I think someone needs to do some in-depth research about this.
i dont mean this in a offensive way i think as somali women we had our own traditional modest way of dressing and it isnt that huge jilbab they all wear we had our own unique clothing so why change? im not saying hijab was non existent there were images of women covering their heads with small scarves and using cloth to cover their chest area and even arms. But these jilbabs they are all wearing i dont see these in the old photographs?

The stuff like the dresses with the arms and shoulders showing and some women having their hair totally uncovered are definitely a part of our native culture. We have descriptions, depictions and images of those from before Italian and British Somaliland were even a thing and also examples of women in neighboring regions like Sudan and Ethiopia where we have been known to share traditional clothes:

The Tobe, or Abyssinian “Quarry,” is the general garment of Africa from Zayla to Bornou. In the Somali country it is a cotton sheet eight cubits long, and two breadths sewn together. An article of various uses, like the Highland plaid, it is worn in many ways; sometimes the right arm is bared; in cold weather the whole person is muffled up, and in summer it is allowed to full below the waist. Generally it is passed behind the back, rests upon the left shoulder, is carried forward over the breast, surrounds the body, and ends hanging on the left shoulder, where it displays a gaudy silk fringe of red and yellow. This is the man’s Tobe. The woman’s dress is of similar material, but differently worn: the edges are knotted generally over the right, sometimes over the left shoulder; it is girdled round the waist, below which hangs a lappet, which in cold weather can be brought like a hood over the head. Though highly becoming, and picturesque as the Roman toga, the Somali Tobe is by no means the most decorous of dresses: women in the towns often prefer the Arab costume,—a short-sleeved robe extending to the knee, and a Futah or loin-cloth underneath. -First footsteps in East Africa

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
thank you for this it makes sense so hijab was never part of our native culture If islam was accepted by most somalis in the 7th century and this is how we dressed as part of our native culture up to the 80s why are we lying to ourselves we never got more religious.

thank you for this it makes sense so hijab was never part of our native culture If islam was accepted by most somalis in the 7th century and this is how we dressed as part of our native culture up to the 80s why are we lying to ourselves we never got more religious.
the only thing that changed is our outer garments. 🤔

After Saudi Arabia started exporting their version of Islam people start wearing hijab , it’s extreme in Somalia but it’s the same story in many Muslim countries eg Egypt Malaysia etc

id assume nomads didnt wear hijabs but the city somalis most likely did wear at least some sort of headdress

It was actually the abandonment of Islam and the teachings of Allah (SWT) and his Prophet (Muhammad [SAW]) that caused the predicament of Somalia today.

During Barre's reign, where he tried to enforce the supposed teachings of Somali culture and history, bogged down the significance and importance of Islam, which very unfortunately lead to many Shiyuukh, Ulema, and highly skilled and talented scholars to be mercilessly killed. This, as a result, led many Somalis to fear Islam; and, when the civil war began, due to their loss of knowledge of the diin, many Somalis started acting outwardly backwards and immoral; slaughtering each other for the sake of it.

Those are, by the way, pictures taken at the colonial times during a culture exhibition. It has to do with Somalia nor does it, in any shape or form, represent how Somalis looked at that time.

Anyways, no matter how much we would like to blame Islam for Somalia's current state, we must remember that is was the opposite, as history has shown time and time again. Peak Somali history involves the holy teachings of Islam being taught and implemented by various sultanates and empires. Failure to realize that will never get you to understand why Somalia and Somalis as a whole are in such a bind right now.

QueenofKings

Kick in the door wavin the .44
After the war a lot of people became religious. And it depends on the city you reside from. My mom grew up wearing a long hijab in middle school in the 70s/80s. Some people say their moms never wore hijab until coming to the west but it all depends.

I would add, for London 9/11 was a turning point in how somali dhalinyaro dressed. It’s form then we start seeing more young people dressing in abaya etc.

I think its because of suffisim. For those who dont know what sufi is its like a hippy branch of islam. More free spirted, and more liberal compared to other branches like wahabisim.

OffTheDome

Proud American
hey guys im really confused and need help on this topic. I want to know why wearing hijab today in somalia and among somalis is such a big deal whereas back in the day 1980s and prior hijab wasn’t really worn like that im really curious as most of the older vintage pictures are of somali women not wearing hijab and somali men with long hair. i haven't been on here in a while and thought id come here since there are a people on here more educated on this topic.
somali women have always worn the hijab, don’t let these pics in Mogadishu in the 80s fool you, those were degenerate times.

Woman in Bulhar, 1884
Women in Hargeysa, 1975

The hijab has been worn by somali women for centuries
1615761324799.png

1615761365538.png

somali women have always worn the hijab, don’t let these pics in Mogadishu in the 80s fool you, those were degenerate times.

Woman in Bulhar, 1884
Women in Hargeysa, 1975

The hijab has been worn by somali women for centuries
View attachment 174959

View attachment 174960
Most women wore scarfs but they were not covered from head to toe and wearing jilbaabs , they had a choice to wear what they want now all Somali women are forced to be covered .

hey guys im really confused and need help on this topic. I want to know why wearing hijab today in somalia and among somalis is such a big deal whereas back in the day 1980s and prior hijab wasn’t really worn like that im really curious as most of the older vintage pictures are of somali women not wearing hijab and somali men with long hair. i haven't been on here in a while and thought id come here since there are a people on here more educated on this topic.

Mainly because of rising islamism in somalia. I'm not kafir but it's the truth.

Trending