Not open for further replies.

black

live and let die.

'Ja, der fuhrer ja.. aber die Partei, das ist etwas anderes...'
Nein, meine herren! Der Fuhrer ist die partei und die partei ist der Fuhrer

Gets to me every time :kendrickcry:

giphy.gif

Last edited:
I'm not an atheist sxb, but it just annoys me when people adopt Arab culture in order to "be a good Muslim", when Islam never said to do that--you can keep your own culture, just don't practice anything haram. And yea, it definitely is because of the war, instability is known to fuel extreme viewpoints and actions. Pre-war Somalia seemed to be have been doing a good job of balancing culture and deen.
You even have Somali clans legit claiming arab ancestry for a desperate lick of arab to be in their blood. What a slap in our ancestors faces that is, to disown them in order to claim a group of people who refer to us a abeed

That's really disgusting, they should be stripped of their Somali cards.

I have a traditional Somali name that suits my personality well.

I just don't like other females with my name, we always end up disliking eachother.

I legit thought this Arab fetish or worship was on sspot only... it's an actual thing wtf
its far from just SS, you have somali clans swearing up and down they have arab heritage. how pathetic can we get

Prince of Lasanod

Eid trim pending
You even have Somali clans legit claiming arab ancestry for a desperate lick of arab to be in their blood. What a slap in our ancestors faces that is, to disown them in order to claim a group of people who refer to us a abeed
Our ancestors, elders and grandfathers were the ones who taught our lineage to us. You have discarded our culture and people. :pacspit:

Insha'Allah I hope that doesn't happen.

But I've noticed it too, I have pictures of my mother and her friends pre civil war.

It was so beautiful, the woman didn't have to cover their hair and wore trousers and they went to parties and it looked really fun.

We did this arabisation come from? Is it the imams who study in Saudi or Yemen or Egypt bringing this back to our country?

I noticed Iran and Afghanistan went through something similar. You're right civil war does bring this about somehow.
We have pictures like that too,Now days its all jilbabs with abayas. I wouldn't be surprised if we made Arabic our official language of Somalia tbh, its alreay one of the official languages when like 4% of the population speak it

We have pictures like that too,Now days its all jilbabs with abayas. I wouldn't be surprised if we made Arabic our official language of Somalia tbh, its alreay one of the official languages when like 4% of the population speak it

Our culture is being erased... I legit feel angry about this wallahi.

It's all these Muslim clerics studying in their countries bringing back this salafism and Wahhabism with them, when they return. I am Muslim but I don't agree with those.

This is why it's important to learn the difference between deen and dhaqan. A lot of people are hiding behind arabism when in reality what your criticizing is a part of Islam. I understand if non-Muslims do it but as a Muslim you should know what your deen entails ...whether or not your going to follow it is another question.
Also, if your holding a certain opinion and to the left and right of you are gaalo's agreeing then that speaks volumes.

In the famous words of Shakespeare, "ha kugu tagnato"

Insha'Allah I hope that doesn't happen.

But I've noticed it too, I have pictures of my mother and her friends pre civil war.

It was so beautiful, the woman didn't have to cover their hair and wore trousers and they went to parties and it looked really fun.

We did this arabisation come from? Is it the imams who study in Saudi or Yemen or Egypt bringing this back to our country?

I noticed Iran and Afghanistan went through something similar. You're right civil war does bring this about somehow.

Same here, you see how our parents' generation grew up and how our generation is currently growing up in Somalia and there is a stark contrast. It didn't mean they didn't believe in Islam (some people try to use that excuse, that Somalis were "ignorant" in those days), it's just that they weren't obsessed with emulating Arabs. Because of the civil war, a lot of Saudi wahabbi individuals took advantage of the situation, and went to teach people a very extreme form of the deen which directly led to groups like al-Shabaab to pop up etc

Nightline Kid

Hippo Crate
Islam comes first and foremost but it is entirely possible to maintain a culture without giving into Arab ways. Somali people aren't too far gone alhamdulillah but we really should scale back a bit before it's too late. Someone mentioned a lack of stability in the country contributing to this, and I have to agree. If things become more stable we will become self-sufficient, which in turn will prevent Arab culture from further replacing our own.

Some people have an inferiority complex wallahi. I've had people tell me that they won't name their children Somali names because they're supposedly "pagan" and "Arabic names are closer to the deen" like wtf :faysalwtf:
My hooyo gave me the nickname "Kamil" (complete) when I was born. Some sheikh told her not to call me that anymore because only Allah is complete. :mjcry:
Eventually she came around with the reasoning that she wasn't trying to compare me to Allah, which is good, I cherish my nickname :rejoice:

Status
Not open for further replies.