Somali slaves: Which Arab nation 'sold' somalia, to Italy, in the 19th century?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sixth

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
:russ::damn::dead::dead: She named herself X, yacni like Malcolm X, to denounce his slave heritage. She reaching
xesGRMT.png

Lastly, because people keep implying that I'm saying Somalis were only slaves and did not sell slaves, I never said Somalis did not have slaves, because Arabs used the land of what is now Somalia, because it was convenient for them and therefore used Somalis to obtain slaves. This does not take away from the fact that Arabs also used Somalis as slaves, as I said, Arabs were ruthless in their slave trade, which started during the 7th century. Somalis had Oromo slaves and Bantus which was entirely orchestrated by Arabs, just like how in the Americas some Blacks became plantation owners and enslaved other Blacks and how in many parts of West Africa, slavery was a normalized act in society, especially when captives of war were seized, though Europeans exploited this practice, much like Arabs. Africans do get used under systems of White and Arab supremacy in case you forgot.

If that isn't some dumb shit. Arabs are the reason Somalis had Oromo? gtfoh Somalis had Oromo slaves because we are nomadic pastoralists, constantly seeking new grazing land. Because of that we wandered South and Westwards into Oromo territory where we fought them and won. Arabs had nothing to do with that.
just like how in the Americas some Blacks became plantation owners and enslaved other Blacks and how in many parts of West Africa, slavery was a normalized act in society,
Youre literally saying Somalis were enslaved and therefore went out to enslave others:faysalwtf::farole:

"arab and white supremacy" kulaha. Such a thing never existed in the minds of the Somali.
“Everytime a Somali got whipped, an Italian soldier was killed.”

“….You get into that way of thinking in the Somali waste. You think
that way because the Somalis bitterly resent the white man, and struggle
continually, and admirably, by lies and intrigue, to fight off his
influence which spells the end of their peculiar world. You cannot beat
them. They have no inferiority complexes, no wide-eyed worship of the
white man’s ways, and no fear of him, of his guns or of his official
anger. They are a race to be admired, if hard to love.”

“There is no one alive as tough as the Somali nomad. No one.
An askari wounded in a fight in the Haud country walked 14 miles holding
his guts in his hand, was sewn up and lived to soldier again. And the
women are as spiritually strong as their men.”

“But of all the races of Africa there cannot be one better to
live among than the most difficult, the proudest, the bravest, the
vainest, the most merciless, the friendliest; the Somalis.”

“A Somali always felt himself to be twice as good as any white man, or
any other kind of man at all, and still does, even when he is wrong.

Islam does wonders for the self respect of non-white people and
Christianity is right to worry about the spread of Islam in Africa, and
must honestly face the question of why it has happened.”

“I knew an Italian priest who had spent over thirty years among the
Somalis and he made two converts, and it amazed me that he got even those two. The Prophet has no more fervent, and ignorant, followers, but that is not their fault that they are ignorant. Their natural intelligence is second to none and when the education factories start work among them they should surprise Africa, and themselves.”

“Wandering in The Shag (desert) were Somalis with some of the sharpest
intelligences in the continent, nomads who had been forced into being
parasites of the camel, for centuries, and could anyone ever find a way
of using all that courage and intelligence?”

“The bravest, most merciless but, when they accept you, the friendliest of African peoples, the Somalis are also among the most intelligent. If they could overcome centuries of mayhem and murder, they could transform a dangerous African dustbin into a prosperous, modern state.”

‘Warriors’ by Gerald Hanley"

The future of the Somali race is to my mind one of the most interesting and difficult of the problems presented by East Africa. For the present, I advise that we leave them alone, or at least avoid as far as possible the task of attacking them in their own territory. They are naturally isolated, and, if our officers will only avoid getting killed, can do little harm by quarrelling with one another in Jubaland. Our real task at present is rather to see that they do not encroach to the south, and to prevent them from raiding the Tana River and the Lamu Archipelago. But we can hardly avoid in the future the further task of making a permanent settlement in Jubaland, and the delimitation of the Abyssinian (meaning stop Somali Region expansion) frontier may perhaps precipitate that settlement.

It is certainly to be desired that we should utilise the Somalis. There can be no doubt that they are the most intelligent race in the Protectorate, though it may be urged with some justice that they are also proud, treacherous, fanatical, and vindictive. Too much stress, I think, is often laid on these bad qualities, and it is certain that the average Englishman has little sympathy for the Somali. He tolerates a black man who admits his inferiority, and even those who show a good fight and give in ; but he cannot tolerate dark colour combined with an intelligence in any way equal to his own. This is the secret of the almost universal dislike of the Babu, and it reappears in the unpopularity of the Somali among East African officials. The Somali are not willing to agree to the simple plan of having a fair fight and then shaking hands when defeated, but constantly indicate that they think themselves our equals or superiors, and not unfrequently prove it. Whenever it is worth our while to occupy Jubaland, and let them see a few hundred white men instead of half-a-dozen officials, which is literally all that they know of us at present, I anticipate that we shall not have much difficulty in getting on with them. The attractions of civilisation are so great for them, and our superiority in this respect so incontestable, that there can hardly be any doubt as to the result. What will happen in the wider limits of Somaliland, north of the Juba, it is hard to predict, but the area to the south is sufficiently small to offer an easy field for the extension of European influence when it is commercially and financially worth while. But meanwhile I think we had better let the Somalis alone, and avoid these conflicts between a lion and a swallow.

The East Africa Protectorate
by Eliot, Charles Eliot

upload_2017-1-11_21-45-47-png.11546
:dabcasar:

Can't believe ya'll went 9 pages deep discussing if Somalis were slaves with this Caraweelo who has serious issues and probably has fetish to get dominated by Arab men.
This is a public forum, if I were to let her idiocracy go unchecked she could very well influence other Somali youth into her distorted way of life. And also I gotta check anybody who tries to spew lies about the warrior Somali:ayaanswag::siilaanyolaugh:

Rooble

Suldaanka Gobyare
VIP
Malik Ambar is a famous slave exported from Zeila.

Malik_Ambar.jpg

Nevertheless, half a century later he had transformed himself into a king-maker in southern India’s interior region known as the Deccan where he led the area's most powerful army against Mughal rule

Somali Muslims weren't exported. Malik Ambar and the Siddi or Habshi people of India are proof Somalis weren't exported.

Stop reaching to be a slave
upload_2017-1-21_11-44-6.png

This is because, for example, you could be what’s considered an ethnic Somali, but be born in Ethiopian territory and therefore be referred to as “Ethiopian” or “Abyssinian”.
Or you could be an Ethiopia born in (soon-to-be) Somali territory:manny: Goes both ways.

In the book “Slaves of One Master: Globalization and Slavery in Arabia in the Age of Empire” by Matthew S. Hooper, he mentions an account of a Somali man describing his experience being caputured, “’I was born in Barbara (Present day Somalia). While I was in my tenth year of my age I was kidnapped by one Ahmed, a slave broker, who brought me to Waqra near Qatar and sold me to Rahid bin Hamad’” (Page 115). He also mentions how ambiguous certain geographical terms are because borderlines which are often only seen on drawn maps are man-made and have been changing throughout time.

I've read that book, it talks about individuals being kidnapped by Bedouin cave dwellers. The people who were kidnapped were often work immigrants in the Arabian Peninsula, a few being Somalis from Somaliland who travelled there for work.
upload_2017-1-21_11-39-3.png

Somalis would never sell their own or allow themselves to be sold in their own markets. The fact that Bedouins kidnapped Somalis in foreign land is a tragedy, but not slavery from the Arab Slave Trade. And many immigrants were kidnapped. They were free labourers who had lived there for years, like the kid of this Balouchi man whose forefather came to Oman.
upload_2017-1-21_11-42-15.png

Another story of a kidnapped man is this one.
upload_2017-1-21_11-46-6.png

Think of that, a Habesh born to a Sultan, going to Oman for work, only to be kidnapped by dirty Bedouins. Then, taken to a slave market, but nobody offered to buy him because he looked Somali. Kinda weird because according to you he would have been bought just because he looked Somali. Still, a sad story.

If you're going to use individual cases of kidnapped people to justify Somalis being enslaved, then you're a sick person. And a stupid one besaue throughout this whole thread you've wanted to talk only about the Arab Slave Trade, which ended before this.

Wonder which twists you'll pull next.

Mudug-Madman

Gaalkacyo Gangster
There's an important lesson to be learned here: Make sure you teach your children properly about their history and culture and instill in them a strong sense of self esteem. Otherwise they'll end up like this @Caraweelo X chick. She doesn't have any sense of Somalinimo cause she grew up in the west so she's trying desperately to fit in with her African American and Caribbean peers by appropriating their slavery narrative. It's actually quite sad.

@Caraweelo X stop the cultural appropriation.

@Prince of Hobyo excellent work on setting the record straight. You have far more patience and persistence than me. I would have just given up and resorted to personal insults by page 4. Respect.:salute:

Innaa lillaahi waa innaa illayhi raajicuun, oo ma taasay maantana la shir yimaadeen. Aduunyada nin noolow maxaa aragti kuu laaban. Waar nimanyahow bal amuurtan eega.

Madara x

Sleep soundly
It's essentially a take on world history with an emphasis on 'Black' African history which is perfectly fine. The problem with it is that there's far too much confusion, ignorance and downright intellectual dishonesty coming from its advocates. Not to mention the amount of revisionism coming from Black Americans and Africans in the diaspora. For instance, many of them believe Ancient Greeks were black and refuse to acknowledge what the world perceives as facts.

I say it doesn't acknowledge difference between Black people because it pushes and promotes one pan-African identity which simply isn't feasible. How can you simultaneously acknowledge the diversity in culture, phenotype and language in while forcing everyone in one category? It doesn't work.

Lol i've personally never come across people who believe ancient greeks were black lol, but i wouldn't be surprised if some folks brought those kinda talks.

There are however hierarchies of categories right?
And some times one particular category takes precedence because of it can have more benefit than other categories.

My answer to your question would be this, differences do not prohibit cooperation towards a mutual goal. But when differences are emphasized more than similarities, cooperation becomes difficult. Also, there is no pan-african identity. This is a myth. There are mutual interests that black people have in common. And working towards those is the objective.

Identity politics is what people engage in symbolically, when they lack material means to enforce the changes that they want to see. In other words, no one will refuse to work with a person who is willing to contribute materially and otherwise. That is why symbolic solidarity is waste of time. Identity politics is a waste of time. At least thats my view.

Madara x

Sleep soundly
I think that the lack of institutional slavery (or lack of sources on it, if you want to debate that) is an element that definitely adds to that feeling of superiority that Somalis feel as a people. For the most part, yes, they definitely feel more superior to other Africans, and practically everyone else. Somalis have never felt any racial solidarity with Africans until recently with the Somali diaspora moving to the West and assuming Western ideas on race and identity, and the formation of a Somali state. Before that, the only relations we had with 'Black' Africans were through discrimination and slavery of Bantus. We've always been an intensely arrogant and proud people, and this intense ethnic and national pride doesn't quite mesh well with Pan-Africanism, I think. It's similar to Asia and the relations between, say India and China. The people there have not and likely will not feel any sort of solidarity with each other on account of wide racial and cultural differences. The Chinese are intensely proud and view themselves as unique within Asia. I think there's a lot of mirrors there between us and them in terms of self-perception. The only difference is one of us has a functioning state, the other doesn't :kanyehmm:

I totally understand what you are saying. Now here is the thing, to be proud and arrogant is all good and well when you have the money and power to back it up. But when you don't have these things, being humble and cooperative is probably the best attitude for action.

Here is my question for you tho: If a white nations knew that Somalis felt superior to other blacks because they weren't enslaved, and if these white nations didn't want the Somalis to actively embrace other blacks because black unity is a problem for white supremacy, would these white nations then encourage the superiority complex that Somalis have or would they try to discourage it?

Prince of Lasanod

Eid trim pending
I agree, many Somalis in the diaspora are well aware of how Arabs view us. We're disassociating as much as we can but in turn many Somalis are ascribing to Afrocentrism that erodes and refuses to acknowledge differences among Black people. I'm all for co-operating with anyone that has mutual interests but what was the point of segregating ourselves from Arabs if we're just going to have a different identity imposed on us?
sxb nobody is advocating for uncompromising loyalty to the Arabs, but they are calling for stupid african unity. Wtf is that shit? It's like the Chinese calling for unity with Arabs because they both live on the Asian continent. South Africans are murdering innocent Somalis like the savages they are. Why don't these guys talk about that? Only about the POSSIBILITY of an Arab individual taking a few Somalis as slaves. It means nothing in the grand scheme of things because Arabs as a collective people have never entered our lands as anything other than migrants and traders.

No Arab army has entered our lands. But the AMISOM army is raping innocent Somali women. No no, they are fellow "africans", let's call for unity with these adoons instead. Fucking cucked morons.

These guys are similar to the "muh ummah" bints and ahkis. They are both retards tbh, and are both self haters.

Prince of Lasanod

Eid trim pending
How are we disassociating from them when the Somali government kisses their asses and do what they say?
It's about fucking interests you moron. Somalia doesn't give no fucks about Arabs, and they have actually joined the Turkey-China-Ethiopia pro development axis in the Horn of Africa and stopped getting support from the UAE.

We are beggars and we don't even have a national army. Nothing wrong with admitting the truth. How about you f*ck off back to Nigeria and suck their cocks and leave Somalia alone?

The Somali government is claiming that it does lol That's why it's making deals with Saudi Arabia and still a part of the Arab league. I hope someone else who actually cares about Somali people runs for government.
Saudi Arabia? What on earth are you talking about? They have their own problems and are hardly involved in the Horn now. Their main problems are Egypt who they gave $20 billion of free money that has joined the Iranian - Russian alliance.

this nacaas is so confused its mind boggling :lawd:

Last edited:

John Michael

Free my girl Jodi!
VIP
Or you could be an Ethiopia born in (soon-to-be) Somali territory:manny: Goes both ways.

I've read that book, it talks about individuals being kidnapped by Bedouin cave dwellers. The people who were kidnapped were often work immigrants in the Arabian Peninsula, a few being Somalis from Somaliland who travelled there for work. View attachment 12081
Somalis would never sell their own or allow themselves to be sold in their own markets. The fact that Bedouins kidnapped Somalis in foreign land is a tragedy, but not slavery from the Arab Slave Trade. And many immigrants were kidnapped. They were free labourers who had lived there for years, like the kid of this Balouchi man whose forefather came to Oman.
View attachment 12082

Another story of a kidnapped man is this one.View attachment 12084
Think of that, a Habesh born to a Sultan, going to Oman for work, only to be kidnapped by dirty Bedouins. Then, taken to a slave market, but nobody offered to buy him because he looked Somali. Kinda weird because according to you he would have been bought just because he looked Somali. Still, a sad story.

If you're going to use individual cases of kidnapped people to justify Somalis being enslaved, then you're a sick person. And a stupid one besaue throughout this whole thread you've wanted to talk only about the Arab Slave Trade, which ended before this.

Wonder which twists you'll pull next.

The people who were kidnapped were often little Somali boys as they couldn't even kidnap grown adults and it was often to spite.

But they never stayed in Yemen long because Somalis live in Yemen and especially back then were closely interlinked and a Somali would take the child back.

I've heard these kidnappings were often done in revenge for something Somalis had done to the macawiis gaab Yemenis.

During my grandparents generation and before there was a year disgust for Arabs and their culture and it was for crap like this. I wonder when relations softened?

Prince of Lasanod

Eid trim pending
Anyways the Ummah can suck my dick. And Somalis aren't alone in that, Pakis, Balouchs, Bosniaks, Iranians etc have all realised how the Ummah is a front used by Arabs.
People need to understand that none of these Arab countries are by any means religious, but they are proud nationalists who give no f*ck about Islam. They are building Buddhist temples in their countries.

This Ummah only existed when the West didn't have such a strong dominance of Muslim affairs, and the leaders of the Ummah were righteous people. And until it retains to that state, Somalis should not concern themselves with anything other than Somalia who is one of the poorest Muslim countries today.

DuctTape

I have an IQ of 300
I totally understand what you are saying. Now here is the thing, to be proud and arrogant is all good and well when you have the money and power to back it up. But when you don't have these things, being humble and cooperative is probably the best attitude for action.

Here is my question for you tho: If a white nations knew that Somalis felt superior to other blacks because they weren't enslaved, and if these white nations didn't want the Somalis to actively embrace other blacks because black unity is a problem for white supremacy, would these white nations then encourage the superiority complex that Somalis have or would they try to discourage it?
I agree with your points. I don't think Somalis can really afford to be so excessively proud of themselves when their country is in such a state - it would make far more sense to have some humility for the people they live among when they immigrate to the West or the Gulf countries or wherever. Right now we're just arrogant.

That's an interesting question. Firstly, let's discuss how much of a problem "Black unity" would be under white supremacy.
First, what benefits do you think a unified 'Black people' would offer to both Black Americans/British and immigrants from Africa alike? Do you think a unified sense of identity would benefit them (and us) greatly? I just want to know what you think about this.

In regards to your question, I don't think that the fact that we weren't enslaved is the only reason that Somalis viewed themselves as superior to Bantus and black Africans alike. The fact that Somalis are ethnically, physically and culturally very distinct from them plays a large part in this too, and this would lend itself to stereotypes and insults that Somalis would have for said groups. But you could say that this was exacerbated by slavery, so your point still stands.
The Italian and British colonialists (two examples of the white nations you speak of) were aware of the racial hierarchy that existed in Somalia between the native Somalis and the Bantu slaves, and encouraged said superiority complex.
Capture.PNG

(Catherine Lowe Besteman, Unraveling Somalia: Race, Class, and the Legacy of Slavery)
I think that this reflects the attitude that Western nations would take today in regards to this inherent sense of superiority the Somalis have. In fact, they actually are aware of the divisions between Somalis and Sub-saharan Africans; the USA made the expatriation of Somali Bantu populations from Somalia a priority during the civil war (http://cis.org/SomaliBantuRefugees) and the CIA even has a factbook on Somalia that explains clan dynamics and racial dynamics in Somalia (http://www.cfr.org/somalia/somalias-clan-families/p13315). So I'd say Western nations are very much aware of the superiority Somalis feel (at least, the governments are). Unlike the colonial powers, however, they seem to be discouraging this by getting the discriminated groups out of Somalia and away from mistreatment.

John Michael

Free my girl Jodi!
VIP

I see what you're trying to say but it was mostly the other way around, whites use Madow s to fight us not to mention us being a Muslim nation is why we don't have unity with other Africans.

We have done the whole black power shtick and it's gotten us nowhere. We supported various African nation towards their independence including Angola,Kenya and South Africa (ffs South Africans even got free scholarships to university that they couldn't recieve in their country) and I don't have to tell you it's not exactly safe to have Somali features in any of those countries.

Kanye

CISGENDERED,HETROSEXUAL MALE. PRONOUNS: HE,HIM,HIS
Lol i've personally never come across people who believe ancient greeks were black lol, but i wouldn't be surprised if some folks brought those kinda talks.

There are however hierarchies of categories right?
And some times one particular category takes precedence because of it can have more benefit than other categories.

My answer to your question would be this, differences do not prohibit cooperation towards a mutual goal. But when differences are emphasized more than similarities, cooperation becomes difficult. Also, there is no pan-african identity. This is a myth. There are mutual interests that black people have in common. And working towards those is the objective.

Identity politics is what people engage in symbolically, when they lack material means to enforce the changes that they want to see. In other words, no one will refuse to work with a person who is willing to contribute materially and otherwise. That is why symbolic solidarity is waste of time. Identity politics is a waste of time. At least thats my view.

It's not just anyone, it's one of the proponents of the Afrocentrism movement IIRC.

Yes, there's definitely a hierarchy of identity. I can simultaneously be me, my qabil, Somali and African. However, the problem occurs when you insist my 'Black' identity takes precedence over my Somali identity. I might be both Black and Somali but I'm not equally Black and Somali. The 'relevancy' of your identity entirely depends on outside forces. Remember "No Blacks, no Irish, no dogs" or "No Irish need apply"? Whatever happened to that? Now there are people that distinctly look, act and sound different from your average Englishmen, the anti-Irish sentiment has completely disappeared and they've all-(ish) assumed a British identity and further up an Anglosphere relationship. Unity based on skin colour is too broad, if it was possible we'd take it a step further and unite as the human race. I don't see that happening until the day aliens invade.

sxb nobody is advocating for uncompromising loyalty to the Arabs, but they are calling for stupid african unity. Wtf is that shit? It's like the Chinese calling for unity with Arabs because they both live on the Asian continent. South Africans are murdering innocent Somalis like the savages they are. Why don't these guys talk about that? Only about the POSSIBILITY of an Arab individual taking a few Somalis as slaves. It means nothing in the grand scheme of things because Arabs as a collective people have never entered our lands as anything other than migrants and traders.

No Arab army has entered our lands. But the AMISOM army is raping innocent Somali women. No no, they are fellow "africans", let's call for unity with these adoons instead. Fucking cucked morons.

These guys are similar to the "muh ummah" bints and ahkis. They are both retards tbh, and are both self haters.

I'm not advocating for pan-Africanism in the slightest. I'm not anti-Arab or anti-African, I'm pro-Somali interests.

This is literally about the Arab slave trade and Somali slave markets of the Indian Coast. '
fullscreen-capture-1202017-103201-pm-bmp-jpg.12048

When shown that Somalis were not sold, you're twisting shit and saying, withouth proof, that Somalis had different markets of slaves and only sold Somali slaves to Arabs. I thought you were somewhat educated

"the local Somalis who were no strangers to capturing, owning and trading slaves themselves - were not among them." The statement doesnt say "lol but only to the chinese doe". It's a general statement. Now let's look at the rest of that which you left out.
View attachment 12074
"Were not among them" "Somalia did not supply slaves" "Slave labour in East Africa was drawn exclusively from the Zanj, who ere Negroid Bantu speaking peoples". All of that in one page. All correctly say Somalis were not sold as slaves.

This is talking about the Arab slave trade.
I gave you proof, with all the authors. Again, this is talking about with Chinese. It said when Chinese Slave traders purchased....again I provided the evidence, you don't want to accept it. Do an extensive search how terminology, because at one point East Africans were called Moors by Europeans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts