Somali slaves: Which Arab nation 'sold' somalia, to Italy, in the 19th century?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madara x

Sleep soundly
@Madara x I've been reading your posts and I'm hella confused to say the least.

Whenever your sources, and conclusions are challenged you become defensive and blame your mistakes on you not being a historian. To make matters worse, when you're caught changing legitimate quotes, your reply is 'good investigative skills'. Bro do you realise how pathetic that sounds :mjlol:

Listen how about not making us slaves until you have definitive proof?

I wasn't caught changing quotes. A user accused me of that and i refuted his accusation. :yacadiim:

I think this slavery discussion has reached its limit. So as you said, let's suspend it.

Long live the dervish dream:fittytousand:

Lol @ the notion of Somalis being enslaved as recent as 200 years ago and we don't know about it. It would have been a common knowledge and it would need no prove it happened. You two are self hating Somalis and we have got a lot of them. Continue making up false stories in order to gain approval and views from AAs.

This is the last thing I will say.
I'm going to make this clearly explained post about this here, since Somalis really and truly cannot believe that there were Somalis were used as slaves during the Arab Slave Trade. The Arab Slave Trade in general is not something discussed because it’s one of those events that is swept under the rug by the Muslim world, perhaps due to shame and embarrassment, however it did happen, as ill documented as it might be.

Firstly, let's talk about how in the 21st century Somalis are still enslaved by Arabs and how the ummah NEVER cares about Somali issues. This is an issue clearly documented by the U.S. Department of State in the following words:

"Somali men are subjected to conditions of forced labor as herdsmen and menial workers in the Gulf states, while children are reportedly smuggled to Saudi Arabia through Yemen and then placed into forced begging." [X] Saudi Arabia who abuses domestic workers, just last year aimed to recruit 15,000 Somalis to be maids. [X] [X] And Somali women are often forced into prostitution in Yemen. [X] Video [X] Al-Jazeera also just published this video in 2015 about Somalis being treated harshly by Arabs in Yemen and working slave labor intensive jobs only to be paid dollars a month. Video [X] That's in the 21st century.

Furthermore the book “Islam's Black Slaves: The Other Black Diaspora” by Ronald Segal, he notes how in 1966 "at least three hundred Somali women had been imported into southern Arabia as slaves" (Page 202). On top of this Arabs still call Somalis "Abeed" because to them, Somalis are just like all other Black Africans. So if you think Arabs didn't enslave Somalis because some became Muslim, think again, they were and still are ruthless and don't care that Somalis/Africans are Muslim.

In my video [X] I very clearly explain that the term "Somali" was not used by Arabs, in fact the word "Somali" was not recorded in writing until the 15th century. Somalis were often grouped with "Habesha", that's why in Arabic literature and even Islamic hadiths, the term "Somali" is never used. They knew of a portion of the horn of Africa as the "Land of Barbar" or Berber. In the book "Race and Color in Islam" by Benard Lewis he explains that "Africans are called either Habash or Sudan, the former designating the Ethiopians and their immediate neighbors in the Horn of Africa, the latter (an Arabic word meaning black) denoting blacks in general. It sometimes includes Ethiopian, but never Egyptians, Berbers, or other peoples north of the Sahara. Later, after the Arab expansion into Africa, other and more specific terms are added, the commonest being Nuba, Bujja (or Beja), and Zanj" (Page 30) This means Arabs did not say the word "Somali" even if they were talking about Somalis, who were located in the Horn.

The East African Slave Trade started during the 7th century. Moving onto where it explicitly states that Somalis were also sold as slaves in the Arab Slave Trade of East Africa is in the book “The Red Sea from Byzantium to the Caliphate: AD 500-1000” by Timothy Power, Archeologist and Historian of Arabia and the Islamic World. He writes, “The African slaves exported from Zayla’ included both broadly ‘Ethiopian’ peoples brought down to the coast from the interior, and ‘Berbers’ from the regions of modern Somalia. Muslim merchants were apparently active in the procurement of slaves from the interior, as already noted with reference to al-Istakhri. Al-Muqaddasi observes that ‘the slaves [khadam]…exported to Aden, consist of Barbar and these are the worst of slaves.”

Lastly, because people keep implying that I'm saying Somalis were only slaves and did not sell slaves, I never said Somalis did not have slaves, because Arabs used the land of what is now Somalia, because it was convenient for them and therefore used Somalis to obtain slaves. This does not take away from the fact that Arabs also used Somalis as slaves, as I said, Arabs were ruthless in their slave trade, which started during the 7th century. Somalis had Oromo slaves and Bantus which was entirely orchestrated by Arabs, just like how in the Americas some Blacks became plantation owners and enslaved other Blacks and how in many parts of West Africa, slavery was a normalized act in society, especially when captives of war were seized, though Europeans exploited this practice, much like Arabs. Africans do get used under systems of White and Arab supremacy in case you forgot...Furthermore, Somalia was used to sale Bantus because of it’s location or its proximity to Arabia. In the book "Unraveling Somalia: Race, Class, and the Legacy of Slavery" By Catherine Besteman she talks about the constant wars between Somalis and Oromos saying “Local lore tells of many great battles in the late nineteenth century between Somali and Oromo west of Jubba – battles that were finally halted by British involvement in the area at the turn of the century. British colonial authorities were very concerned about Somali expansionist tendencies and Somali-Oromo wars, and carefully documented population movements and social relationships between the two groups” (Page 57). She further explains the nature of their relationship talking about enslavement saying “In the Somali raids on Oromo settlements during the nineteenth century, Oromo women and children were claimed as slaves, while men were usually killed. These women and children were taken into family life of their abductors, while still, of course, remaining subjects. Oromo women, valued for their beauty, were kept as concubines or as domestic servants or were given in marriage to other slaves” (Page 82). In addition to this “The Abyssinians captured Harar in 1884 and started raiding Ogaden Somali villages in that area, killing men and selling women and children as slaves” [X].

In the Book “Slavery in the Arab World” by Murray Gordon, he explains “A jihad, mounted from the Islamic sultanate of Adal from the 1520s to the 1640s, temporarily overran Ethiopia and resulted in the deportation of thousands of slaves across the Red Sea into Arabia. Thereafter, it was the Muslims’ turn to be enslaved following a recovery by Ethiopia which checked the Muslim advance” (Page 131). All this means is that slavery in East Africa was happening on multiple levels and we know that even today, Somalis are not limited to the political geographical space that is Somalia today, but rather Somalis exist outside those boundaries, residing in Kenya, Ethiopia, Djibouti and there are even small populations of Somalis in Tanzania and Eritrea.

Gordon also explains that “By the beginning of the fifteenth century, the East Coast had achieved a modest degree of urban growth. Along the coastal strip between the Kilwa group of islands and Mogadishu, some thirty-seven towns managed to develop and maintain a degree of prosperity and urbanity. Because they were more conscious of their differences than what they shared in common, they were never able to unite into a single confederate or state. Several of these towns, notably Kilwa (Present day Tanzania) and Mogadishu and to a lesser extent, Mombasa, prospered. Islam, which managed to take hold on the coast in the thirteenth century, was the religion that people of these towns professed. [That means the majority of them embraced Islam]. When Ibn Battuta came to the coast in 1331, he chose to visit Kilwa and Mogadishu. He could not help observe the piety of its inhabitants. No less significant, Ibn Battuta was made aware of the large number of slavers that made up their populations. The sultan of Kilwa [Present day Tanzania], he noted, carried out frequent raids in search of slaves. So plenty were they that he presented twenty of them as a gift to an indigent faqir from Yemen. Both Kilwa and Mogadishu, in fact, owed part of their prosperity to the slaving activities carried on by their sultans” (Page 125). In analyzing this, one should understand that cities on the coast of East Africa partook in slavery using their natives in the Arab Slave Trade. Furthermore, in “The Mysterious and the Foreign in Early Modern England” by Helen Ostowich and others, she expresses “In addition to ‘white’ women slave markets of the Ottoman Empire carried African women, who were sold for either concubinage or labor. Murray Gordon, in Slavery in the Arab World, finds that African slaves women came from Egypt, Sudan, Ethiopia, and Somalia. Joseph Harris points out in The African Presence in Asia: Consequences of the East African Slave Trade that with the onset of European colonization in the Maghrib, which slowed the slave trade, African women were gathered from as far south as Kenya and Tanzania. Throughout the Islamic world, Ethiopian and other slave women from the Horn of Africa became the concubines of men who could not afford to buy a ‘white’ woman, who cost three times as much as an Ethiopian. Though not ‘white’, Ethiopian women were considered the ‘second best’ option because their facial features and skin tone were seen a somewhere between ‘white’ and ‘black’ and therefore were marginally acceptable” (Page 62-63). Again, we must realize that the borderlines of geographical names did not inherently limit the locations of ethnic groups in East Africa, as I said previously Somalis spill well beyond the physical boundaries of the nation state Somalia, into “Ethiopian” “Kenyan” “Djibouti” areas, etc.

In the chapter Slavery in Arabian Societies at the Turn of the 20th Century, in the book “Slavery and Manumission: British Policy in the Red Sea and the Persian Gulf by Jerzy Zdanowski, he writes “The second source of slave importation was the Upper Nile Valley and Abyssinia. Approximately half a million people from these regions were taken to Egypt and another half to ports of the Red Sea for export to Arabia and the Persian Gulf. A large majority of the slaves were youths, mostly girls, aged under 15. European travelers recounted in their diaries that slaves were to be seen practically everywhere in Arabia. The Swiss traveler Jean Louis Burckhardt, who travelled in the early 19th century with a slave caravan from Shendi to Suakin, stated that some 5,000 slaves passed through this town each year. He admitted that the slave-girls were commonly prostituted by the slave traders. In 1838, for instance, an estimated 10,000 to 12,000 slaves arrived each year in Egypt alone; some of them were bound for domestic service there, other for export to undertake similar work, yet others to be used as concubines, construction and factory workers, porters, dockers, clerks, soldiers and cultivators. Many of the East African slaves were sent to the Persian Gulf…” (Page 17).

Eventually the British had to form a treaty with the Omani sultan to stop Arabs from enslaving East Africans in the 1800s and this is talked about in the book “The Persian Gulf” by Arnold Wilson. Furthermore it is noted in this book that Somalis had to be deemed as “free” and Arabs had to be banned from enslaving them, although there are still specific accounts of Arabs enslaving Somalis afterwards. In the book “Slaves of One Master: Globalization and Slavery in Arabia in the Age of Empire” by Matthew S. Hooper, he mentions an account of a Somali man describing his experience being caputured, “’I was born in Barbara (Present day Somalia). While I was in my tenth year of my age I was kidnapped by one Ahmed, a slave broker, who brought me to Waqra near Qatar and sold me to Rahid bin Hamad’” (Page 115). He also mentions how ambiguous certain geographical terms are because borderlines which are often only seen on drawn maps are man-made and have been changing throughout time. This is because, for example, you could be what’s considered an ethnic Somali, but be born in Ethiopian territory and therefore be referred to as “Ethiopian” or “Abyssinian”.

upload_2017-1-20_2-27-56.png

This is part of the reason why Somalis are still called “Abeed” and the Arab slave trade is still a mentality Arabs have to date. Just because we are Muslim does not mean Arabs, will stop having their warped mentality or stop acquiring slaves. As stated previously, in Islamic towns in East Africa (which means the inhabitants were Muslim), they were still sold their natives to Arabs. All this means is that they were used by Arabs, hence why it’s referred to as the “Arab” slave trade.

It's not about being self hating or trying to gain the approval of anyone, it's about seeking to understand history and how it effects us today.

I'm going to make this clearly explained post about this here, since Somalis really and truly cannot believe that there were Somalis were used as slaves during the Arab Slave Trade. The Arab Slave Trade in general is not something discussed because it’s one of those events that is swept under the rug by the Muslim world, perhaps due to shame and embarrassment, however it did happen, as ill documented as it might be.

Firstly, let's talk about how in the 21st century Somalis are still enslaved by Arabs and how the ummah NEVER cares about Somali issues. This is an issue clearly documented by the U.S. Department of State in the following words:

"Somali men are subjected to conditions of forced labor as herdsmen and menial workers in the Gulf states, while children are reportedly smuggled to Saudi Arabia through Yemen and then placed into forced begging." [X] Saudi Arabia who abuses domestic workers, just last year aimed to recruit 15,000 Somalis to be maids. [X] [X] And Somali women are often forced into prostitution in Yemen. [X] Video [X] Al-Jazeera also just published this video in 2015 about Somalis being treated harshly by Arabs in Yemen and working slave labor intensive jobs only to be paid dollars a month. Video [X] That's in the 21st century.

Furthermore the book “Islam's Black Slaves: The Other Black Diaspora” by Ronald Segal, he notes how in 1966 "at least three hundred Somali women had been imported into southern Arabia as slaves" (Page 202). On top of this Arabs still call Somalis "Abeed" because to them, Somalis are just like all other Black Africans. So if you think Arabs didn't enslave Somalis because some became Muslim, think again, they were and still are ruthless and don't care that Somalis/Africans are Muslim.

In my video [X] I very clearly explain that the term "Somali" was not used by Arabs, in fact the word "Somali" was not recorded in writing until the 15th century. Somalis were often grouped with "Habesha", that's why in Arabic literature and even Islamic hadiths, the term "Somali" is never used. They knew of a portion of the horn of Africa as the "Land of Barbar" or Berber. In the book "Race and Color in Islam" by Benard Lewis he explains that "Africans are called either Habash or Sudan, the former designating the Ethiopians and their immediate neighbors in the Horn of Africa, the latter (an Arabic word meaning black) denoting blacks in general. It sometimes includes Ethiopian, but never Egyptians, Berbers, or other peoples north of the Sahara. Later, after the Arab expansion into Africa, other and more specific terms are added, the commonest being Nuba, Bujja (or Beja), and Zanj" (Page 30) This means Arabs did not say the word "Somali" even if they were talking about Somalis, who were located in the Horn.

The East African Slave Trade started during the 7th century. Moving onto where it explicitly states that Somalis were also sold as slaves in the Arab Slave Trade of East Africa is in the book “The Red Sea from Byzantium to the Caliphate: AD 500-1000” by Timothy Power, Archeologist and Historian of Arabia and the Islamic World. He writes, “The African slaves exported from Zayla’ included both broadly ‘Ethiopian’ peoples brought down to the coast from the interior, and ‘Berbers’ from the regions of modern Somalia. Muslim merchants were apparently active in the procurement of slaves from the interior, as already noted with reference to al-Istakhri. Al-Muqaddasi observes that ‘the slaves [khadam]…exported to Aden, consist of Barbar and these are the worst of slaves.”

Lastly, because people keep implying that I'm saying Somalis were only slaves and did not sell slaves, I never said Somalis did not have slaves, because Arabs used the land of what is now Somalia, because it was convenient for them and therefore used Somalis to obtain slaves. This does not take away from the fact that Arabs also used Somalis as slaves, as I said, Arabs were ruthless in their slave trade, which started during the 7th century. Somalis had Oromo slaves and Bantus which was entirely orchestrated by Arabs, just like how in the Americas some Blacks became plantation owners and enslaved other Blacks and how in many parts of West Africa, slavery was a normalized act in society, especially when captives of war were seized, though Europeans exploited this practice, much like Arabs. Africans do get used under systems of White and Arab supremacy in case you forgot...Furthermore, Somalia was used to sale Bantus because of it’s location or its proximity to Arabia. In the book "Unraveling Somalia: Race, Class, and the Legacy of Slavery" By Catherine Besteman she talks about the constant wars between Somalis and Oromos saying “Local lore tells of many great battles in the late nineteenth century between Somali and Oromo west of Jubba – battles that were finally halted by British involvement in the area at the turn of the century. British colonial authorities were very concerned about Somali expansionist tendencies and Somali-Oromo wars, and carefully documented population movements and social relationships between the two groups” (Page 57). She further explains the nature of their relationship talking about enslavement saying “In the Somali raids on Oromo settlements during the nineteenth century, Oromo women and children were claimed as slaves, while men were usually killed. These women and children were taken into family life of their abductors, while still, of course, remaining subjects. Oromo women, valued for their beauty, were kept as concubines or as domestic servants or were given in marriage to other slaves” (Page 82). In addition to this “The Abyssinians captured Harar in 1884 and started raiding Ogaden Somali villages in that area, killing men and selling women and children as slaves” [X].

In the Book “Slavery in the Arab World” by Murray Gordon, he explains “A jihad, mounted from the Islamic sultanate of Adal from the 1520s to the 1640s, temporarily overran Ethiopia and resulted in the deportation of thousands of slaves across the Red Sea into Arabia. Thereafter, it was the Muslims’ turn to be enslaved following a recovery by Ethiopia which checked the Muslim advance” (Page 131). All this means is that slavery in East Africa was happening on multiple levels and we know that even today, Somalis are not limited to the political geographical space that is Somalia today, but rather Somalis exist outside those boundaries, residing in Kenya, Ethiopia, Djibouti and there are even small populations of Somalis in Tanzania and Eritrea.

Gordon also explains that “By the beginning of the fifteenth century, the East Coast had achieved a modest degree of urban growth. Along the coastal strip between the Kilwa group of islands and Mogadishu, some thirty-seven towns managed to develop and maintain a degree of prosperity and urbanity. Because they were more conscious of their differences than what they shared in common, they were never able to unite into a single confederate or state. Several of these towns, notably Kilwa (Present day Tanzania) and Mogadishu and to a lesser extent, Mombasa, prospered. Islam, which managed to take hold on the coast in the thirteenth century, was the religion that people of these towns professed. [That means the majority of them embraced Islam]. When Ibn Battuta came to the coast in 1331, he chose to visit Kilwa and Mogadishu. He could not help observe the piety of its inhabitants. No less significant, Ibn Battuta was made aware of the large number of slavers that made up their populations. The sultan of Kilwa [Present day Tanzania], he noted, carried out frequent raids in search of slaves. So plenty were they that he presented twenty of them as a gift to an indigent faqir from Yemen. Both Kilwa and Mogadishu, in fact, owed part of their prosperity to the slaving activities carried on by their sultans” (Page 125). In analyzing this, one should understand that cities on the coast of East Africa partook in slavery using their natives in the Arab Slave Trade. Furthermore, in “The Mysterious and the Foreign in Early Modern England” by Helen Ostowich and others, she expresses “In addition to ‘white’ women slave markets of the Ottoman Empire carried African women, who were sold for either concubinage or labor. Murray Gordon, in Slavery in the Arab World, finds that African slaves women came from Egypt, Sudan, Ethiopia, and Somalia. Joseph Harris points out in The African Presence in Asia: Consequences of the East African Slave Trade that with the onset of European colonization in the Maghrib, which slowed the slave trade, African women were gathered from as far south as Kenya and Tanzania. Throughout the Islamic world, Ethiopian and other slave women from the Horn of Africa became the concubines of men who could not afford to buy a ‘white’ woman, who cost three times as much as an Ethiopian. Though not ‘white’, Ethiopian women were considered the ‘second best’ option because their facial features and skin tone were seen a somewhere between ‘white’ and ‘black’ and therefore were marginally acceptable” (Page 62-63). Again, we must realize that the borderlines of geographical names did not inherently limit the locations of ethnic groups in East Africa, as I said previously Somalis spill well beyond the physical boundaries of the nation state Somalia, into “Ethiopian” “Kenyan” “Djibouti” areas, etc.

In the chapter Slavery in Arabian Societies at the Turn of the 20th Century, in the book “Slavery and Manumission: British Policy in the Red Sea and the Persian Gulf by Jerzy Zdanowski, he writes “The second source of slave importation was the Upper Nile Valley and Abyssinia. Approximately half a million people from these regions were taken to Egypt and another half to ports of the Red Sea for export to Arabia and the Persian Gulf. A large majority of the slaves were youths, mostly girls, aged under 15. European travelers recounted in their diaries that slaves were to be seen practically everywhere in Arabia. The Swiss traveler Jean Louis Burckhardt, who travelled in the early 19th century with a slave caravan from Shendi to Suakin, stated that some 5,000 slaves passed through this town each year. He admitted that the slave-girls were commonly prostituted by the slave traders. In 1838, for instance, an estimated 10,000 to 12,000 slaves arrived each year in Egypt alone; some of them were bound for domestic service there, other for export to undertake similar work, yet others to be used as concubines, construction and factory workers, porters, dockers, clerks, soldiers and cultivators. Many of the East African slaves were sent to the Persian Gulf…” (Page 17).

Eventually the British had to form a treaty with the Omani sultan to stop Arabs from enslaving East Africans in the 1800s and this is talked about in the book “The Persian Gulf” by Arnold Wilson. Furthermore it is noted in this book that Somalis had to be deemed as “free” and Arabs had to be banned from enslaving them, although there are still specific accounts of Arabs enslaving Somalis afterwards. In the book “Slaves of One Master: Globalization and Slavery in Arabia in the Age of Empire” by Matthew S. Hooper, he mentions an account of a Somali man describing his experience being caputured, “’I was born in Barbara (Present day Somalia). While I was in my tenth year of my age I was kidnapped by one Ahmed, a slave broker, who brought me to Waqra near Qatar and sold me to Rahid bin Hamad’” (Page 115). He also mentions how ambiguous certain geographical terms are because borderlines which are often only seen on drawn maps are man-made and have been changing throughout time. This is because, for example, you could be what’s considered an ethnic Somali, but be born in Ethiopian territory and therefore be referred to as “Ethiopian” or “Abyssinian”.

View attachment 11997

This is part of the reason why Somalis are still called “Abeed” and the Arab slave trade is still a mentality Arabs have to date. Just because we are Muslim does not mean Arabs, will stop having their warped mentality or stop acquiring slaves. As stated previously, in Islamic towns in East Africa (which means the inhabitants were Muslim), they were still sold their natives to Arabs. All this means is that they were used by Arabs, hence why it’s referred to as the “Arab” slave trade.

It's not about being self hating or trying to gain the approval of anyone, it's about seeking to understand history and how it effects us today.
The ummah and people who claim Somalis were slaves can both suck my dick :camby:

The ummah and people who claim Somalis were slaves can both suck my dick :camby:
It's not a claim lol You clearly didn't read. Somalis today are being enslaved by Arabs. Women are forced into prostitution in Yemen and Somali men are forced to do manual labor in Gulf states. How about you go stand up to the Saudi Royal family about how they treat Somalis today in the 21st century.

It's not a claim lol You clearly didn't read. Somalis today are being enslaved by Arabs. Women are forced into prostitution in Yemen and Somali men are forced to do manual labor in Gulf states. How about you go stand up to the Saudi Royal family about how they treat Somalis today in the 21st century.
Somalis in the Gulf states are prospering. They have their own markets, they're not forced to do manual labour. Have you actually been to these communities? I have.
There are around 50,000 Somalis in the United Arab Emirates. The Somali Business Council based in Dubai regulates 175 Somali companies.[34] Somali-owned businesses line the streets of Deira, the Dubai city centre,[35]with only Iranians exporting more products from the city at large.[36] Internet cafés, hotels, coffee shops, restaurants and import-export businesses are all testimony to the Somalis' entrepreneurial spirit. Star African Air is also one of three Somali-owned airlines which are based in Dubai.[35]
Most of the manual work there is done by Indian and Asian slaves. Which is sad.

Saudi Arabia is a shit hole anyways, and Yemen is worse than Somalia. The women who willingly went there willingly went into prostitution. Most of these Arabs are no good goat fuckers. I'd nuke them if I could and spare Mecca and Medina ofc.

Kanye

CISGENDERED,HETROSEXUAL MALE. PRONOUNS: HE,HIM,HIS

While I agree that the difference of what's happening today to some Somalis and legitimate slavery is not much short of semantics, it's entirely different from historical enslavement. Certain Arab states are preying on third world Muslim countries. It's true a lot of minorities in Carabaha are in a poverty trap and are further held down by state-enforced practices such as being able to seize passports as an employer etc. likewise there are plenty of Somali/Asian economic migrants that are prospering in the ME. Runtii, whether it's happening to Somalis or Bangladeshis it's an absolutely degenerate practice.

This has nothing to do with the Royal Family or the Saudi government. They're just playing the game. They've sniffed out an opportunity and they took it. It's entirely on the Somali government to take the responsibility for their own citizens. If India can ban domestic workers to certain countries why can't we?

In any case may Allah swt give testicular cancer to any Somali politician that co-signed these predatory agreements and make them suffer from rectal prolapse until they shit their bowels out.

Tramo

Nine kitaabs on a bookshelf
I'll say the same thing that I said to a similar comment...
Arabs barely documented their doings because Slavery was so entrenched in their culture. It's not even an "exact" estimate on the amounts taken. But if you think Arabs didn't enslave Somalis after Somalis converted to Islam just because they became Muslim then you'd need to explain how and why Arab until this day are using and abusing and exploiting Somalis, forcing them into manual labor,

This is from 2016 http://www.hiiraan.com/news4/2016/Jan/103860/despite_abuses_saudi_arabia_aims_to_recruit_15000_somali_maids.aspx

The first picture is from the book Trafficking in Persons Report (10th Ed.)

This article also talks about it http://www.reuters.com/article/us-yemen-somalis-prostitution-idUSTRE61950M20100210

Arabs treat Somalis horribly, today and much of it goes unnoticed by the rest of the Muslim world because the "ummah" doesn't truly care about Black Muslims. That's why no one talks about all the tragedies that are happening in Somalia, everyone just talks about Syria and Palestine and don't get me wrong, we can talk about those issues, but why leave out Black Muslim issues? That happens all the time, there's so much going on in Somalia and Somalis are treated horribly by Arabs, getting called "abeed" yet it all goes relatively unnoticed.

Somalis are being used today, when Somalis are fully Muslim, what makes you think they weren't using Somalis when the Arab Slave Trade in East Africa first started...Again, Arabs referred to Somalis by using the term "Habesha", that's why not a single piece of Islamic/Arabic text has the word "Somali" I posted a picture that talks about how East Africans were referred to as "Habesha" and that location was referred to as the Land of Barbar or Berber.

In the book Slavery and manumission: British Policy in the Red Sea and the Persian Gulf by Jerzy Zdanowski, he says "Berbera" because that was one of the terms it was called.

Another thing that is explained in the book "Red Sea from Byzantium to Caliphate" is the fact that Arabs never said "Somali" or "Somalia"

"Frankincense is also known to have been grown in Somalia from early times, though does not feature prominently in the Arabic narrative sources. Agapius (d. 941-2), for instance, perhaps hints at the production of frankincense when he writes of Ethiopia's 'aromatic plants' ('aqaqir). 238 Similarly, al-Istakhri states that the Ethiopians "live scattered on the coastal region opposite Aden. All frankincense (bakhur)... comes from their country." 239 The Arabic kail al-bakhur does indeed translate as 'all the frankincense,' yet this may be a copyist's error for kail bakhur meaning 'every (type) of frankincense.' This could even be translated more loosely as 'every (type) of incense,' which might make more sense given the references to opercula, ambergris and frankincense produced in Ethiopia."

Frankincense is known for being in Somalia however, Arabs never said Somalia, they said Ethiopia because Somalia as a country did not exist, it was engulfed in term the "Land of Barbar"

Look at a map, if you look at the physical boundaries of what they decided to give Somalia, Somalis spill outside of those physical boundaries and are pretty spread out throughout East Africa (Djibouti, Kenya, Ethiopia, etc).

Here's a pdf online copy of the book the Red Sea

And as far as it being illegal to sale Somalis, that was in the 1800s because Brits wanted to stop Arabs for going to East Africa to take slaves, which they continued to do so anyways, but here's the full page of what Canuck posted (She posted a foot note which didn't explain the context of it.) If you read the whole page, and not just the foot note, it implies Arabs were still taking Somalis because they had to ban Arabs from doing so.

View attachment 11941 View attachment 11942 View attachment 11943 View attachment 11944 View attachment 11945 View attachment 11946 View attachment 11947
Somalis are mistreated today, therefore they were enslaved a thousand years ago? what in the f*ck :mindblown:

maestro

Cultural revolution

View attachment 11997

Jesus Christ on a pole never met someone so hell bent on trying to prove their ancestors to be slaves so badly. Is something legitimately wrong with you?

And Somalis are mistreated in Arabia yes but that's only if you ignore how extremely successful the communities are there. While us in the west are struggling in ghettos and learning useless crap as African studies they have millionaires, highly educated folk and are the biggest exporters off Dubai after Iran. Per capita We are definitely not on their level yet.

Also for some idiotic reason you associated mistreatment with slavery but if you associated mistreatment with slavery then I guess South African Zulus and Kenyan Bantus also enslaved us because unlike them the Arabs never chopped Somalis up with machetes or put somalis in concentration camps and threatened to burn them alive.

As I said in that other thread if you fantasize about being a slave to Arabs that's on you but don't project your sick perversions on us. Somalis were never slaves and that's the end of it. macsalama

The slaves sent from Zeila weren't Somalis.
Dahlak pays tribute in black slaves to b. Zayir in Yeman Above tribute— 1,000 Ethiopians and Nubians 20,000 Ethiopian spearmen Hadya as source of slaves, Zeila as slave port to Yemen Emperor Amda Siyon
upload_2017-1-20_16-39-53.png

Some came from Harrar, most likely taken from elsewhere by the inhabitants. In fact Harar was one of the biggest if not the biggest supplier of slaves to Zeila, often sending caravans with Ethiopian and Nilotic slaves to Zeyla. In literature Zeila was referred to as Harrar's port, aswell as one of southern Ethiopia.

upload_2017-1-20_16-43-15.png

Christian slaves taken to Adal (Zeylac)

upload_2017-1-20_16-51-26.png

The Somali and Afar Muslim sultanates, such as the Adal Sultanate, also exported Nilotic slaves that they captured from the interior, as well as some vanquished foes.[111]

Zeylac being the capital of Adal Sultanate. Somalis didn't sell Somali slaves. Again I point to the proven sources of the Ethiopian slave trade (that is a part of the Arab Slave Trade.)
350px-Map_Slave_Routes_Ethiopia.jpg

Zeylac got their slaves from Hararis, Somalis in Mogadishu or Sudan.
550px-African_slave_trade.png

Now onto where it explicitly says Somalis weren't sold as slaves.

Serge Bilé cites a 12th-century text which tells us that most well-to-do families in Canton had black slaves whom they regarded as savages and demons because of their physical appearance. Although Chinese slave traders bought slaves (Seng Chi i.e. the Zanj[9]) from Arab intermediaries and "stocked up" directly in coastal areas of present-day Somalia, the local Somalis(—referred to as Baribah and Barbaroi (Berbers) by medieval Arab and ancient Greek geographers, respectively, were no strangers to capturing, owning and trading slaves themselves[50]but were not among them:[118]

But were not among them [the slaves they traded, captured or owned]. Does that not pretty much settle the deal?

Last edited:

View attachment 11997

"Furthermore the book “Islam's Black Slaves: The Other Black Diaspora” by Ronald Segal, he notes how in 1966 "at least three hundred Somali women had been imported into southern Arabia as slaves" (Page 202)."

It is fake story in 1960 Somalia 'population was 2 millions, No way 300 women could leave as slave to Saudi who was still poor country at that time. Just prove the names of those women,their cities, tribes.

"Furthermore the book “Islam's Black Slaves: The Other Black Diaspora” by Ronald Segal, he notes how in 1966 "at least three hundred Somali women had been imported into southern Arabia as slaves" (Page 202)."

It is fake story in 1960 Somalia 'population was 2 millions, No way 300 women could leave as slave to Saudi who was still poor country at that time. Just prove the names of those women,their cities, tribes.
Sis. There are Somalis being taken by Saudi Arabia in the 21st century lol Why do you think back then they couldn't be taken...Have you looked at a map? The distance between Somalia and Arabia is a slip away. You have nothing to say except it's fake & you can't even provide evidence why, all you said is "It's no way"

Sis. There are Somalis being taken by Saudi Arabia in the 21st century lol Why do you think back then they couldn't be taken...Have you looked at a map? The distance between Somalia and Arabia is a slip away. You have nothing to say except it's fake & you can't even provide evidence why, all you said is "It's no way" Furthermore in the 1960s, Saudi had gone through a lot of development and was gaining stronger relationships with the West http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/loc/sa/islamism.htm
And even this time line shows they were building their wealth becoming a founding member of the organization of petroleum expiring countries. http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-14703523
But Saudi is trash for how it treats Somalis http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/9358738

The slaves sent from Zeila weren't Somalis.

View attachment 12008
Some came from Harrar, most likely taken from elsewhere by the inhabitants. In fact Harar was one of the biggest if not the biggest supplier of slaves to Zeila, often sending caravans with Ethiopian and Nilotic slaves to Zeyla. In literature Zeila was referred to as Harrar's port, aswell as one of southern Ethiopia.

View attachment 12009
Christian slaves taken to Adal (Zeylac)

View attachment 12012

Zeylac being the capital of Adal Sultanate. Somalis didn't sell Somali slaves. Again I point to the proven sources of the Ethiopian slave trade (that is a part of the Arab Slave Trade.)
350px-Map_Slave_Routes_Ethiopia.jpg

Zeylac got their slaves from Hararis, Somalis in Mogadishu or Sudan.
550px-African_slave_trade.png

Now onto where it explicitly says Somalis weren't sold as slaves.

But were not among them [the slaves they traded, captured or owned]. Does that not pretty much settle the deal?
Lol You know you gave me a book by Wikipedia right? I have the decency to not use Wikipedia as a source at the very least.

Sis. There are Somalis being taken by Saudi Arabia in the 21st century lol Why do you think back then they couldn't be taken...Have you looked at a map? The distance between Somalia and Arabia is a slip away. You have nothing to say except it's fake & you can't even provide evidence why, all you said is "It's no way"

Sis. There are Somalis being taken by Saudi Arabia in the 21st century lol Why do you think back then they couldn't be taken...Have you looked at a map? The distance between Somalia and Arabia is a slip away. You have nothing to say except it's fake & you can't even provide evidence why, all you said is "It's no way" Furthermore in the 1960s, Saudi had gone through a lot of development and was gaining stronger relationships with the West http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/loc/sa/islamism.htm
And even this time line shows they were building their wealth becoming a founding member of the organization of petroleum expiring countries. http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-14703523
But Saudi is trash for how it treats Somalis http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/9358738
Saudi Arabia are stealing Somalis :mugshotman: and your argument for that is the fact that Saudi Arabia and Somalia are close to eachother :faysalwtf:

Your qoute is fake. There is no version of the book online for others to examine, there are no mentions of what the book allegedly says, nor did you post a picture if you have the physical book. Post a picture or a link, until then it's fake.

That's the thi
While I agree that the difference of what's happening today to some Somalis and legitimate slavery is not much short of semantics, it's entirely different from historical enslavement. Certain Arab states are preying on third world Muslim countries. It's true a lot of minorities in Carabaha are in a poverty trap and are further held down by state-enforced practices such as being able to seize passports as an employer etc. likewise there are plenty of Somali/Asian economic migrants that are prospering in the ME. Runtii, whether it's happening to Somalis or Bangladeshis it's an absolutely degenerate practice.

This has nothing to do with the Royal Family or the Saudi government. They're just playing the game. They've sniffed out an opportunity and they took it. It's entirely on the Somali government to take the responsibility for their own citizens. If India can ban domestic workers to certain countries why can't we?

In any case may Allah swt give testicular cancer to any Somali politician that co-signed these predatory agreements and make them suffer from rectal prolapse until they shit their bowels out.

That's the thing, Arabs are ruthless, if you think they'd treat you better just because you're Muslim think again! All they see is abeed when they look at you, they've always had that mentality. The Somali government is selling its soul to them.

Lol You know you gave me a book by Wikipedia right? I have the decency to not use Wikipedia as a source at the very least.
I don't use Wikipedia as a source, but to qoute. The sources are hotlinked and I've verified them. I know how to use Wikipedia.

I posted mostly direct qoutes and screengrabs. Is that fake too? The qoute from Wikipedia was written by a high level user that linked to the book, page and has read it. That's the literal Jon of Wikipedia. I would understand you not believing the qoute if it wasn't sourced, but it is.

Now instead of fake calacaal you can answer my post. I posted only verified information.

That's the thi

That's the thing, Arabs are ruthless, if you think they'd treat you better just because you're Muslim think again! All they see is abeed when they look at you, they've always had that mentality. The Somali government is selling its soul to them.
And you're here trying to claim we were enslaved by them. Yaab

Saudi Arabia are stealing Somalis :mugshotman: and your argument for that is the fact that Saudi Arabia and Somalia are close to eachother :faysalwtf:

Your qoute is fake. There is no version of the book online for others to examine, there are no mentions of what the book allegedly says, nor did you post a picture if you have the physical book. Post a picture or a link, until then it's fake.

image.jpeg

I don't use Wikipedia as a source, but to qoute. The sources are hotlinked and I've verified them. I know how to use Wikipedia.

I posted mostly direct qoutes and screengrabs. Is that fake too? The qoute from Wikipedia was written by a high level user that linked to the book, page and has read it. That's the literal Jon of Wikipedia. I would understand you not believing the qoute if it wasn't sourced, but it is.

You do realize it's talking about with the Chinese though right? Like reread what it says, it's specifically talking about Somalis not being sold to Chinese. Did you go to a secondary schooling? I'm genuinely asking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending