Somali girl talks about ‘hair politics’

Status
Not open for further replies.
Source? No, haven’t had them since I was a young girl. It’s not needed and it’s better to let your hair down. That’s doesn’t mean I’m married though :yacadiim:

Have you heard of shaash saar ? This involves a bunch of Xalimos gathering around the groom to be and presenting her with scarfs. This comes from the ancient tradition of gabar timo tidcan, whereby the girl was presented with scarfs to wear for her wedding. It was also common for the girl unbraid her hair in time for special night .

This is all oral knowledge . Half my family are Bedouins.

RICH

The Qadr of Allaah ta’aala is always in our favor.
Have you heard of shaash saar ? This involves a bunch of Xalimos gathering around the groom to be and presenting her with scarfs. This comes from the ancient tradition of gabar timo tidcan, whereby the girl was presented with scarfs to wear for her wedding. It was also common for the girl unbraid her hair in time for special night .

This is all oral knowledge . Half my family are Bedouins.

Ah yea I’ve heard of shaash saar! Laakin Woqooyinka waxaasi ma sameeyaan as far as I know. Laakin I didn’t know about the ancient tradition of gabadh timo tidcan. Interesting!

Ah yea I’ve heard of shaash saar! Laakin Woqooyinka waxaasi ma sameeyaan as far as I know. Laakin I didn’t know about the ancient tradition of gabadh timo tidcan. Interesting!
I am surprised you never heard that phrase from your uncles . I always use to hear them reminisce about girls with braids during their chewing sessions .:drakelaugh:

RICH

The Qadr of Allaah ta’aala is always in our favor.
I am surprised you never heard that phrase from your uncles . I always use to hear them reminisce about girls with braids during their chewing sessions .:drakelaugh:

As a young girl I used to sit with them during their khat sessions, but I could never understand what they were talking about :farmajoyaab:But now I do for the most part. I’ve never heard them talking about gabadh timo tidcan... One of them only asked me about if I know someone for him to get married to and I’ve noticed that these oday they don’t mind if the girl is a lot younger :lolbron: I love to karbaash them for it. Reer Somaliland is funny wallaahi.

Jake from State Farm

We pro xalimo all 2019
I go to black barbers so I been told a lot that I don't have "nigga hair". Middle school days sometimes black females on the bus would just start touching my hair randomly. Especially when I had my Afro is when I received a lot of "hair action" from African Americans

Anyone got hair similar to mines.

My father has soft hair like or how my dad says it "timo jileec" my mom is the opposite though.so I have a mixture of both of their hair.

Attachments

• IMG_5018.JPG
    IMG_5018.JPG
    282.2 KB · Views: 176

KREAM

"Can you bring equilibrium?"
I go to black barbers so I been told a lot that I don't have "nigga hair". Middle school days sometimes black females on the bus would just start touching my hair randomly. Especially when I had my Afro is when I received a lot of "hair action" from African Americans

My father has soft hair like or how my dad says it "timo jileec" my mom is the opposite though.so I have a mixture of both of their hair.

When I'm the U.S I go to Cape Verdean or Puerto Rican hairstylists as a xalimo. They typically know how to handle my hair with instructions. It's different tho.

If you aren't comfortable with people touching your hair don't allow them walaal it's weird.

Jake from State Farm

We pro xalimo all 2019
When I'm the U.S I go to Cape Verdean or Puerto Rican hairstylists as a xalimo. They typically know how to handle my hair with instructions. It's different tho.

If you aren't comfortable with people touching your hair don't allow them walaal it's weird.
This gonna make me look stupid af. But I never really understood the difference in hair texture between Somalis and blacks until later in life. In fact it took me until the 10th grade of high school to realize that African American chicks were using weaves. I dead ass thought for years that the girl that rode my bus was dying her hair every other week. Than I saw her get in a fight and someone snatched her weave and I was shook.
I started looking closely and closely at everyone around me mostly the African Americans and started remembering all the comments about my hair. Than I started looking at Nigerians and Sudanese guys. Because they had similar hair to the African Americans. Literally my hair wasn't similar to any of the blacks or west Africans at all.

African American barbers be making me look fresh. I trust them with my hair.

KREAM

"Can you bring equilibrium?"
This gonna make me look stupid af. But I never really understood the difference in hair texture between Somalis and blacks until later in life. In fact it took me until the 10th grade of high school to realize that African American chicks were using weaves. I dead ass thought for years that the girl that rode my bus was dying her hair every other week. Than I saw her get in a fight and someone snatched her weave and I was shook.
I started looking closely and closely at everyone around me mostly the African Americans and started remembering all the comments about my hair. Than I started looking at Nigerians and Sudanese guys. Because they had similar hair to the African Americans. Literally my hair wasn't similar to any of the blacks or west Africans at all.

African American barbers be making me look fresh. I trust them with my hair.

La hawla I'm dead :chrisfreshhah:

You were a child. You knew no better. As long as they treat your hair with respect you don't need to worry. I trusted my hair with a Carribean once as a child and I'll never do it again. They ruined it and I repaired as a teen. I cut my own hair mostly and I style it as a xalimo.

Jake from State Farm

We pro xalimo all 2019
Do you have long soft hair similar to Indians and whites. My younger sister has hair like that.
La hawla I'm dead :chrisfreshhah:

You were a child. You knew no better. As long as they treat your hair with respect you don't need to worry. I trusted my hair with a Carribean once as a child and I'll never do it again. They ruined it and I repaired as a teen. I cut my own hair mostly and I style it as a xalimo.

World

VIP

Nigga you got black hair wtf you talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.