Somali Galmudug Fishermen are facing attacks from armed foreign trawlers Corrupt Farmaajo and FGS issued licenses to for just 1 Million Dollar

Manafesto

[[Puntland Republic 🇸🇱]]PIM[[C.S(BihinYusuf)]
VIP
HalimoEnthusiast

Somali fishermen forced out of the sea by foreign boats off Mudug coast

Somalia live news, Somali live news, Somalia news, Humanitarian news, Radio Ergo news

(ERGO) – Somali fishermen in coastal villages in Mudug’s Hobyo district are facing attacks from armed foreign trawlers, cutting their fishing nets and using live ammunition to drive them out of the sea.

Said Yasin Elmi and his six employees stopped fishing in October after their nets and other equipment were destroyed by foreign vessels during attacks twice in one week. He says they were shot at by the attackers although none of his crew was injured.

“Life is unpredictable because we all live on what we catch from the sea. My employees have left to search for other jobs. People who used to work here are now sitting idle on the beach. Those foreign vessels are out fishing at sea. They cut our fishing nets!” he said angrily.

He is buying food for his family of 10 with five dollars he gets a week from relatives in Galkayo and Mogadishu. The local food stores where he lives in Labad, 30 km from Hobyo. will not give him credit.

He used to make $30 to $40 a day from fishing activities after paying his six employees a daily wage of $10 each. Now he says his children are sometimes sleeping hungry.

“I tell myself that things will get better. My nets and equipment that were destroyed by the foreign ships are still in the sea. I don’t know anything else I can do now, I have no other skills to earn a living,” he said.
Said owns his own fishing boat. He said he lost three fishing nets, each worth $80.

The disruption is affecting around 150 fishermen based in Labad, Iidaan, and Af-E villages. The chairman of 50 fishermen in Iidaan, Nur Khalif Adan, said he and his team are still fishing despite the attacks. He told Radio Ergo that every 24 hours, they fish for about two hours towards sunset when the foreign vessels are not around.

They only manage to cast their nets a
mile offshore, catching little more than enough for the family food.
“If we cast our nets at night or early in the morning they get cut. This is what the invading vessels are doing to us. There are a lot of them at sea and they fire at us if we try to go out there,” he said.

Nur was clearing $75 a day selling the fish he caught with three employees, each paid $10 a day.

On 14 November, a Chinese-owned vessel was caught by the Galmudug authorities off the coast of Hobyo but was freed two days later, when it emerged that it had a fishing license issued by the federal government.
The local fishermen are accusing the federal government of allowing foreign trawlers to disrupt their livelihoods

The director of Galmudug fishing ministry, Abdirashid Mohamed Abdi, confirmed that licensed foreign fishing vessels are obstructing the local fishermen, but they cannot stop their “ugly behaviour.”

The trawlers are supposed to keep 50 miles off the Somali coastline but constantly breach the limit. The ministry has received many complaints from local fishermen and has asked the federal government to intervene, with no response yet.

The Galmudug administration says it will seek assistance from the European Union naval forces in Hobyo to equip and train a coastguard team to restore order.

Last edited:

GemState

36/21
VIP
Even if you catch them, you have to let them go since their permits are legit. IIRC, 34 Chinese ships can come and can carry up to 600 tons of fish in one go, and its literally a 30 year contract. Farmaajo basically fucked somalia's fisherman just $1 million, even for an African, he was remarkably cheap

Manafesto

VIP
HalimoEnthusiast
Even if you catch them, you have to let them go since their permits are legit. IIRC, 34 Chinese ships can come and can carry up to 600 tons of fish in one go, and its literally a 30 year contract. Farmaajo basically fucked somalia's fisherman just $1 million, even for an African, he was remarkably cheap

30 years, are you kidding me? What kind of day light robbery is this.:mindblown:

I remember reading the fishing MoU the FGS former restaurant waiter signed with China but I don't recall anywhere it said for 30 years.

Last edited:

GemState

36/21
VIP
30 years, are you kidding me? What kind of day light robbery is this.:mindblown:

I remember reading the fishing MoU the FGS former restaurant waiter signed with China but I don't recall anywhere it said for 30 years.
The license was given for 2 years, but it can be renewed every year for up to 30 years after the initial deal was signed.

In return for 18600 tons of fish, Farmaajo gets $1 million a year in return. Totally fucked somalia's fisheries

I hear the Chinese are processing and packaging the fish on the same boats. If Sharmaajo's corrupt regime stays in power, don't be surprised if soon we see our own fish being sold to us.

Last edited:

TekNiKo

“I am an empathic and emotionally-aware person.
VIP
Worry about Puntland waters, Galmudug is none of your concern

@Manafesto

Sharmajo, whose clan only saw a coastline in the past few decades, doesn't care about fishermen. To be fair, he doesn't even care for his own home regions. He's already made sure his brother controls the Khat trade in Somalia, he only sees the Presidency as an opportunity to loot. I wonder what other deals he and his team of vultures have signed.

Why didn't the 5 Federal states of Somalia (JL,PL,GM,SWS,HS) speak against this when the Government in Somalia made this deal? Sounds like the 5 federal state leaders had no problem with this $1 million contract for Somalian fish

Somali fishermen forced out of the sea by foreign boats off Mudug coast

Somalia live news, Somali live news, Somalia news, Humanitarian news, Radio Ergo news

(ERGO) – Somali fishermen in coastal villages in Mudug’s Hobyo district are facing attacks from armed foreign trawlers, cutting their fishing nets and using live ammunition to drive them out of the sea.

Said Yasin Elmi and his six employees stopped fishing in October after their nets and other equipment were destroyed by foreign vessels during attacks twice in one week. He says they were shot at by the attackers although none of his crew was injured.

“Life is unpredictable because we all live on what we catch from the sea. My employees have left to search for other jobs. People who used to work here are now sitting idle on the beach. Those foreign vessels are out fishing at sea. They cut our fishing nets!” he said angrily.

He is buying food for his family of 10 with five dollars he gets a week from relatives in Galkayo and Mogadishu. The local food stores where he lives in Labad, 30 km from Hobyo. will not give him credit.

He used to make $30 to $40 a day from fishing activities after paying his six employees a daily wage of $10 each. Now he says his children are sometimes sleeping hungry.

“I tell myself that things will get better. My nets and equipment that were destroyed by the foreign ships are still in the sea. I don’t know anything else I can do now, I have no other skills to earn a living,” he said.
Said owns his own fishing boat. He said he lost three fishing nets, each worth $80.

The disruption is affecting around 150 fishermen based in Labad, Iidaan, and Af-E villages. The chairman of 50 fishermen in Iidaan, Nur Khalif Adan, said he and his team are still fishing despite the attacks. He told Radio Ergo that every 24 hours, they fish for about two hours towards sunset when the foreign vessels are not around.

They only manage to cast their nets a
mile offshore, catching little more than enough for the family food.
“If we cast our nets at night or early in the morning they get cut. This is what the invading vessels are doing to us. There are a lot of them at sea and they fire at us if we try to go out there,” he said.

Nur was clearing $75 a day selling the fish he caught with three employees, each paid $10 a day.

On 14 November, a Chinese-owned vessel was caught by the Galmudug authorities off the coast of Hobyo but was freed two days later, when it emerged that it had a fishing license issued by the federal government.
The local fishermen are accusing the federal government of allowing foreign trawlers to disrupt their livelihoods

The director of Galmudug fishing ministry, Abdirashid Mohamed Abdi, confirmed that licensed foreign fishing vessels are obstructing the local fishermen, but they cannot stop their “ugly behaviour.”

The trawlers are supposed to keep 50 miles off the Somali coastline but constantly breach the limit. The ministry has received many complaints from local fishermen and has asked the federal government to intervene, with no response yet.

The Galmudug administration says it will seek assistance from the European Union naval forces in Hobyo to equip and train a coastguard team to restore order.

I believe the Somali naval force should train these young men and appoint them as part of the Somali navy, give them training and weapons and a fixed salary. These lot put up a good fight with AK-47s and a macaawiis. imagine how they could defend their seas against foreign illegal vessels with bulletproof wear and highly equipped weapons

Last edited:
The deal was only for a specific type of fish tuna. Which somalia has tons of. And they are only allowed a certain amount every year.

Its fake news that they can take whatever fish they want and whatever amount for 1 million.

This however is a big issue. Federal government needs to addres this. If they breach the contract in any shape they need to be suspended.

Manafesto

VIP
HalimoEnthusiast
@Manafesto

Sharmajo, whose clan only saw a coastline in the past few decades, doesn't care about fishermen. To be fair, he doesn't even care for his own home regions. He's already made sure his brother controls the Khat trade in Somalia, he only sees the Presidency as an opportunity to loot. I wonder what other deals he and his team of vultures have signed.

This is why I always say Somalia should be run by someone from one of the major clans with the most land to loose, but when you selected a Laangaab like Farmaajo whose clan just moved to Somalia-Ethiopian border chasing after a green pastur for their livestock and most likely never ate a fish we have no one else but to blame our dysfunction state of governoce.

@Manafesto

1. Hirabu Goita Tedros (Middle-Ages) was quoted to be "Extremely wily, he loved double-dealing and swindles + he was trying to not take part in the Jihad.
  2. Siad Barre (1969-1991) Deranged Dictator
  3. Barre Hiiraale (1990s)- Warlord
  4. Farmaajo (Present day) Corrupt loser who refuses to leave office.

This is not a coincidence in my opinion, its a pattern of behaviour.

At some point, Somalis need to learn their lesson and keep them away from important political positions.
I will never vote for someone whose own regions are a disaster, it doesn't make any sense. I hope in future that Somalis apply common-sense instead of being swayed by rhetoric and naivety.

Last edited:

Manafesto

VIP
HalimoEnthusiast
I believe the Somali naval force should train these young men and appoint them as part of the Somali navy, give them training and weapons and a fixed salary. These lot put up a good fight with AK-47s and a macaawiis. imagine how they could defend their seas against foreign illegal vessels with bulletproof wear and highly equipped weapons

You do know some of PMPF which is an elite Puntland Marine force (funded by the US intialy and currently partially by UAE) contains former rehabbed Pirates.

Their story is unbelievably amazing and, extro-ordinary even for country like Somalia, they were Fishermen at first and when the foreign illegal trawling ships Destrupted their lifely-hood they were left with no choice but to pick up their weopns and became pirates.

Later on, during the height of the piracy the US government funded few projects in PL to get the local pirates trained rehabed and have them enrolled,now they get pay to protect the 1000 KM long shore Puntland state controlls and patroll by the breathtaking mountainus region of Gardafuu and Bari. :wow1: :rejoice: :banderas:

TekNiKo

“I am an empathic and emotionally-aware person.
VIP
@Manafesto

1. Hirabu Goita Tedros (Middle-Ages) was quoted to be "Extremely wily, he loved double-dealing and swindles + he was trying to not take part in the Jihad.

At some point, Somalis need to learn their lesson and keep them away from important political positions.
I will never vote for someone whose own regions are a disaster, it doesn't make any sense. I hope in future that Somalis apply common-sense instead of being swayed by rhetoric and naivety.
Fortunately Somalis would rather have us over you 10x over. You brought our arch enemy Ethiopia for God sake, if that isnt snake like double dealing I dont know what is, no one trusts you to lead anything. Accept it and move on :chrisfreshhah:

Manafesto

VIP
HalimoEnthusiast
@Manafesto

These people were not creates to lead but to only to follow,you would think Farmajo would at least try to run the country in a way that is different than his Protegee and Uncle Siyaar Barre, But No, he followed and copied his style without any improvasions of his own.

1. Creating MOD clan power All over again.
2, Centralizing the whole Nation and only investing in Mogadishu only to grow.
3. Uses national forces such us SNA,NISA to subdue openonents and assisnate for him

4. Neglectig regions and politicizing IC funds

5. Trying to extend his term with brute force while using foreign and foreign trained tribal forces.

And much more...

You do know some of PMPF which is an elite Puntland Marine force (funded by the US intialy and currently partially by UAE) contains former rehabbed Pirates.

Their story is unbelievably amazing and, extro-ordinary even for country like Somalia, they were Fishermen at first and when the foreign illegal trawling ships Destrupted their lifely-hood they were left with no choice but to pick up their weopns and became pirates.

Later on, during the height of the piracy the US government funded few projects in PL to get the local pirates trained rehabed and have them enrolled,now they get pay to protect the 1000 KM long shore Puntland state controlls and patroll by the breathtaking mountainus region of Gardafuu and Bari. :wow1: :rejoice: :banderas:
Most “pirates” usually operated from puntland and galmudug towns . Also wallahi I couldn’t be more happy. 100km of puntland is still 100km of somali soil. Now when Somalia fully develops, all 3,333km of our coast will be fully protected inshallah 💯. I admire puntlands growth even though rest of Somalia isn’t at its best. If Somalia has a strong government that means more resources for PL.

Trending