Status
Not open for further replies.
Somalis and other people of the Horn are categorized as Cushitic or Kushites. Do you guys know how Somalis and people of the Horn got that name? I already know but I was wondering if anyone else knew!

DeathWish

Hotep and Hebrew Israelite
Because Arabs enslaved us while they were smoking Kush. So they called us Kushites.
Mike-Tyson-clapping-and-laughing.gif

After the empire of Kush, our glorious ancestors. We shall rise again and from the Indian ocean to the Nile valley our dominion shall be restored once again. All Hail Waaq!
:wow::win:

The_Cosmos

Pepe Trump
I know it comes from Cush, a biblical figure who's believed to be the eldest son of Ham who people also associate the kingdom of kush with.

IMG_0196.JPG

I know it comes from Cush, a biblical figure who's believed to be the eldest son of Ham who people also associate the kingdom of kush with.

View attachment 12000
lol Ding Ding Ding! Cush is named after Ham's son. White people justified slavery with the logic that the Bible said the descendents of Kush would be the slaves of Noah's sons. So they named that land Kush. That's why terms such as "Hamite" and "Cushite" exists, it's all after Biblical figures.

Keo

VIP
lol Ding Ding Ding! Cush is named after Ham's son. White people justified slavery with the logic that the Bible said the descendents of Kush would be the slaves of Noah's sons. So they named that land Kush. That's why terms such as "Hamite" and "Cushite" exists, it's all after Biblical figures.
No, I think you are talking about the curse of Canaan. Apparently he was one of the sons of Noah as well and was cursed for something. I don't really know the full story.

The_Cosmos

Pepe Trump
No, I think you are talking about the curse of Canaan. Apparently he was one of the sons of Noah as well and was cursed for something. I don't really know the full story.

No, Ham saw his father, Noah, in drunken state and naked one time and as a consequence he cursed the descendents of Ham. Canaan was the son of Ham and the recipient of the curse of Ham which came from god according to the Bible. It was used to justify the subjugation of the Canaanites and then used as an explanation for black skin and this justified slavery.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curse_of_Ham

Yup.

Another interesting fact is that a very similar narrative is painted by Ibn Tabari. Although I have failed to find any evidence for his claims from religious sources. I mention this as it very explicit and very racist and it comes from one of the greatest Muslim commentators. Note that I am NOT trying to start some sort of debate.

IMG_0105.jpg

Volume 2 page 21

No, Ham saw his father, Noah, in drunken state and naked one time and as a consequence he cursed the descendents of Ham. Canaan was the son of Ham and the recipient of the curse of Ham which came from god according to the Bible. It was used to justify the subjugation of the Canaanites and then used as an explanation for black skin and this justified slavery.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curse_of_Ham

Yup.

Another interesting fact is that a very similar narrative is painted by Ibn Tabari. Although I have failed to find any evidence for his claims from religious sources. I mention this as it very explicit and very racist and it comes from one of the greatest Muslim commentators. Note that I am NOT trying to start some sort of debate.

View attachment 12004

Volume 2 page 21

Wow that's some offensive third Reichy shit right there.

It obviously doesn't hurt that At-Tabari is arab-arselicking Persian himself. :kodaksmiley:

The_Cosmos

Pepe Trump
Wow that's some offensive third Reichy shit right there.

It obviously doesn't hurt that At-Tabari is arab-arselicking Persian himself. :kodaksmiley:

Some of the classical scholars were very Arab supremacist kind of people, and the irony is that you'll see Somalis quote him (he is the most popular Islamic commentator) probably knowing that he thought of them as Abeeds (slaves).

:kanyehmm:

The term Hamitic originally referred to the peoples said to be descended from Ham, one of the Sons of Noah according to the Bible. According to the Book of Genesis, after Noah became drunk and Ham dishonored his father, upon awakening Noah pronounced a curse on Ham's youngest son, Canaan, stating that his offspring would be the "servants of servants". Of Ham's four sons, Canaan fathered the Canaanites, while Mizraim fathered the Egyptians, Cush the Cushites, and Phut the Libyans.[6]

During the Middle Ages, believing Jews, Christians, and Muslims incorrectly considered Ham to be the ancestor of all Africans. Some Arab slave traders used the account of Noah and Ham in the Bible to justify Negro (Zanj) slavery, and later European and American Christian traders and slave owners adopted a similar argument.[7][8]

However, the Bible itself indicates that Noah restricted his curse to the offspring of Ham's youngest son Canaan, whose descendants occupied the Levant, and it was not extended to Ham's other sons, who had migrated into Africa

So in the Bible Cushites come from Mizraim, one of the sons of Ham. They were an independent group that were not inflicted by the "slave curse" and early on moved into Africa.

Later on the definition of Hamite would change.
In the mid-19th century, the term Hamiticacquired a new meaning as scholars asserted that they could anthropologically discern a "Hamitic race" that was distinct from the "Negroid" populations of Sub-Saharan Africa. The theory arose from early anthropological writers, who linked the stories in the Bible of Noah's sons to documented ancient migrations of peoples from the Middle East into Africa

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Basically 19th century Race theorists classified Hamitic as its own race in Africa, getting the name from the Bible. This race inhabited the Horn of Africa and North Africa, and were the basis of all civilization in Africa. The Hamites were primarily pastoralists. The Europeans claim that all simple savage Bantu civilizations came from civilized southern Hamites who mixed with the local Bantu population.

Apart from relatively late Semitic influence... the civilizations of Africa are the civilizations of the Hamites, its history is the record of these peoples and of their interaction with the two other African stocks, the Negro and the Bushmen, whether this influence was exerted by highly civilized Egyptians or by such wider pastoralists as are represented at the present day by the Beja and Somali...

The incoming Hamites were pastoral 'Europeans' – arriving wave after wave – better armed as well as quicker witted than the dark agricultural Negroes."[7][16]
From the book Races of Africa. At this time Hamites were their own racial group, and a part of the Hamito-Semitic language family (Now Afro-Asiatic).
image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg

After a while the term Hamitic fell out of use, and eastern Hamites with the exception of Egyptians became known as Cushites or the local population (Somali, Afar, Beja etc). But either way Cushitic is not a widely used term, and usually is used for the language family instead of people. Hamitic has more history as a term but encompasses a wider group of people. Hamitic and Cushitic can and is often used interchangeably.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamitic

The_Cosmos

Pepe Trump
How are Cushtic people connected to the Kush kingdom when historians claim it was Nubian?

Did I say it was connected?? :heh:

I was talking about the biblical origin of the word and how the biblical scholars associated it with the kingdom of kush due to the similarities in name. I'm perfectly aware of their Nubian origin.

Did I say it was connected?? :heh:

I was talking about the biblical origin of the word and how the biblical scholars associated it with the kingdom of kush due to the similarities in name. I'm perfectly aware of their Nubian origin.
Ahh ok, i thought you was one of them guys that claim Cushites started all the advanced civilisations in Africa.
:mjpls:

Status
Not open for further replies.