Somali aabo pimping out his daughter

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadNomad

As i live and breathe
Somali culture has lived independently of Islam. The literacy rate in Somalia was never par, and it was dismantled too young. Heck, there are mi' who don't know how to pray the 5 or basic Islamic knowledge to this day. Again, I honestly think you greatly exaggerate Islam being the culprit.

As for being realistic, I don't know that it's realistic, expecting that now is certainly unrealistic, but the attitude in itself in the longterm and even in times of prosperity certainly bespeaks something. My perspective is to call it like it is. I'm tired of the constant glossing on here. Any change after that, if at all, could only come from the locals.

I just find it interesting that certain cultural attitudes mirror each other in Somalia, the middle east, north Africa etc. They can't all have the same culture, so what's the common denominator here? I'll let you guess on that one.

VixR

Veritas
I just find it interesting that certain cultural attitudes mirror each other in Somalia, the middle east, north Africa etc. They can't all have the same culture, so what's the common denominator here? I'll let you guess on that one.
It's a massive oversimplification to blame religion purely.

That's like the case of the poor atheist girl who thought atheist men were different simply for their lack of religion :mjlol:

MadNomad

As i live and breathe
It's a massive oversimplification to blame religion purely.

That's like the case of the poor atheist girl who thought atheist men were different simply for their lack of religion :mjlol:

Ahh, but i never blamed religion purely did i? :siilaanyosmile:

My point is all these cultures have been influenced by religion. That's the common denominator.

VixR

Veritas
Ahh, but i never blamed religion purely did i? :siilaanyosmile:

My point is all these cultures have been influenced by religion. That's the common denominator.
It's far from the only common denominator as to be considered the primary one, or be the common denominator.

I'll let you stew on that, but for that you'd have let go of your bias against religion. I myself don't believe, but it could be an exercise for you. Again, I'm not denying influence completely, but I think you're overestimating.

MadNomad

As i live and breathe
It's far from the only common denominator as to be considered the primary one, or be the common denominator.

I'll let you stew on that, but for that you'd have let go of your bias against religion. I myself don't believe, but it could be an exercise for you. Again, I'm not denying influence completely, but I think you're overestimating.

Not the only common denominator, but i would say it's the main one.

It's not only Islam. As a rule of thumb i tend to believe that culture does not exist in a vacuum and that religion is a major force in its formation. This is almost universal. I personally think you're underestimating the role religion plays, so i guess we can agree to disagree.

VixR

Veritas
Not the only common denominator, but i would say it's the main one.

It's not only Islam. As a rule of thumb i tend to believe that culture does not exist in a vacuum and that religion is a major force in its formation. This is almost universal. I personally think you're underestimating the role religion plays, so i guess we can agree to disagree.
I'll think on it. You do the same :ufdup:

World

VIP
It is not just about forced arrange marriages, a Somali girl or woman was and is more socially shackled back home than she is in the West.

Our culture is misogynistic. Some people like to glorify Somali culture before the Civil War but ask yourselves what percentage of the Somali population were sophisticated city dwellers? Do you lot honestly believe that the patriarchal Somali culture that has its roots in our nomadic past was magically transformed during the early post-colonial period and the Kacaan era? Even in the industrially advanced and relatively socially liberal Western societies of the late 19th cenury and early 20th century, female emancipation was a gradual elite-driven process that spanned decades, if not a century.

It cannot be argued that just because some Somali women had their hair uncovered, wore less layers during the Kacaan era and started to lead more active lives in society they were no longer subjected to patriarchal social controls. The truth is that their social freedoms were limited; they were not the equal of men.

VixR is right on the money but y'all need an essay to understand where she is coming from.

It appears that nationalistic sentiments and subjective experiences can blind people to the truth.:gucciwhat:
There is nothing wrong with patriarchy. Alhamdulilah. Allah tells us that the men are protectors and maintainers of women in the Qur'an. I am not surprised at all that western raised gaals like @VixR hates Somalia, that hate extends towards all religious / Muslim countries.

Fact: Somali culture itself is misogynistic outside Islam. Islam is the scapegoat; even if it gives power to that sort of cultural behavior, there's a wide spectrum on how it affects different cultures. Somali religiosity is shaky at best.

I got news for you, darling, the whole world is misogynistic. Somalis, for a non-western/non-secular society are leagues ahead of Arabs, North Africans and South Asians when it comes to women's rights.

Somali women, even today, have freedoms and an independence a woman in Afghanistan or Saudi Arabia would kill to have.

Bahal

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
VIP
Lol, are you implying that Somali women before the war and Somali women after the war share the same circumstances? That shows how little you know about your country. Or did your parents not tell you a thing about pre-civil war Somalia?

I can't speak for you, but women in pre-war Somalia had freedoms and rights that current Somali females could only dream of. My own mother and aunts refused marriages left, right and centre. They were allowed, like many girls at the time, to continue education and find a career. The war turned Somalis from a largely secular and loosely religious people into a poorly educated, highly superstitious and conservative people.

Nowadays, Somali girls are considered as nothing more than brood-mares.

This is my reply as well

Bahal

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
VIP
:ayaanswag:
I'm serious, I've never heard of Somali women who were born and raised in Muqdisho forced to get married. I don't know where you're hearing these stories. And women did have a lot of freedom, according to my hooyo's photo albums, the wardrobe, hair, accessories, and university campus... Women in Somalia today can only dream about those days.

:mahubowtf:

VixR has totally internalized cadaan paternalistic let me tell you about your own culture bullshit.

She's admitted time and time again that her knowledge of Somali cultural practices and history is practically no existent but that doesn't stop her from passing judgement.

:farmajoyaab:

Small anecdote; my grandma was married 3 times for love and divorced 2 of em, and worked as a prison guard for a bit

:russ::russ::russ::russ::russ:

This was in the goddamn 60s and 70s

VixR has totally internalized cadaan paternalistic let me tell you about your own culture bullshit.

She's admitted time and time again that her knowledge of Somali cultural practices and history is practically no existent but that doesn't stop her from passing judgement.

Small anecdote; my grandma was married 3 times for love and divorced 2 of em, and worked as a prison guard for a bit

I was hoping you'd post some kacaan era women marches and shit :icon lol:

I'm sadly disappointed :farmajoyaab:

SuldaanGuled

Rag waa shaah dumarna waa sheeko.
What's the point of debating in the first place when one is convinced that some cultures are better than others ? any points raised to counter the prior assumptions that one believes to be the "truth" will fall on deaf ears. Unless one is willing to validate such assumptions there's no point of engaging in such discussions.People are just using this story to justify what they were already convinced of .

@Professor summarised the underlying assumptions

John Michael

Free my girl Jodi!
VIP
So some Somali women get forced or coerced into marriag

In xamar? I think your grandma and my
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
might have been co workers. Their uniform was a shortish skirt and top.

Why do you claim galgaduud? :mahubowtf:

I've taken the meher and married you off to a guy. I've sent the monthly allowance, don't lie to anyone, you're a house wife - get with the program

Sold like camel :ohhh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts