Random Oromo history thread!

Garaad diinle

 
You don’t understand what am tryna say I’m tryna say that they’re are borana who got assimilated into marexaan after they took over and a know a guy who’s marexaan but is Borana in origin he’s from gedo and Borana were known to inhabit Mandara with the garre and ajuran they got pushed and a lot got killed and assimilated that why they’re population is small in those areas and borana are native to the borana zone they literally named it dirre and some of it marexaan and I think degodia took it from them and note marexaan weren’t in those areas 150-200 years and borana were there there’s sources of them living in libaan with the warra dayya/wardey
Sigh seriously your still about that? I really lost any ounse of respect i had the moment you spoke such nonsense. Didn't you yourself acknowledge that there were borana slaves? It's even recorded in colonial account. Whatever borana you've seen were probably one of them. Second of all yes mareexan along side the ogaden came to the area around 200 years ago but at that time somalis were already living in that area. You'd know that if you did your homework. Further more didn't you yourself post an image of a book of how borana are not even native to the borana region and your source also said that there were somalis living in borana region. Borana themselves acknowledge this in their oral tradition so how can they even claim any other places? |The wardey themselves or orma as i've shown in the video state that they came 523 years ago to their current place. Hungry beast always thirsty for more.

0ace78c9-f1ef-4bd3-9fe8-137afcb1183c-png.248383

The number of oromo or warday were always exaggerated in their size and european surveyors wrote about it.
iUug1Dl.png

3KLcETe.png

But okay i'll play your game provide me with one credible source about these supposed oromo among the mareexan and ogaden who you often times use to inflate the numbers of the wardey or borana.

Last edited:
Gabra used to be Garre that were under full control of the boran. But what huts did you take name one.

Gabra? There's a barawani tribe called Gabra too but they're reported to be settlers from Arab or other countries. They live by the sea and many of them have green or blue eyes 🤔

Garaad diinle

 
Gabra? There's a barawani tribe called Gabra too but they're reported to be settlers from Arab or other countries. They live by the sea and many of them have green or blue eyes 🤔
According to tunni oral stories they originally lived in liban in somaali galbeed but they run away from the wardey attacks crossed the juba and settled the coast in barawe. Gabra lives close to liban.

They are proto Somali or just Somalis my mom is Borana and she told me these people aren’t Oromo they Somalis that got oppressed by us and for what political reasons would they claim somali for
Do they claim to be madinle? I thought the madinle somali tribe are already extinct, they used to be powerful in the days of the ajuraan and ruled bay and bakool before the reewin. If this is true, they could have been muslim somali who have been made gaal by assimilation.

Garaad diinle

 
Do they claim to be madinle? I thought the madinle somali tribe are already extinct, they used to be powerful in the days of the ajuraan and ruled bay and bakool before the reewin. If this is true, they could have been muslim somali who have been made gaal by assimilation.
I think i once read that the garre speak about a hunter gatherer population if you know what i mean called madinle in the borana region. They might have had their cattle stolen then forced to adopt a hunter gatherer live style.

Garaad diinle

 
If they are Somalis they were Muslims in the 16th century, waaq belief died out half a millenia by then
The borana only adopted islam quite recently in fact as early as the 1960 if i remember correctly non muslim borana were telling other boranas that islam is the somali religion and if you became muslim it means your becoming somali. The ajuran, garre, sakuye and the gabra were already muslim long before that. Interesting fact did you know that the sakuye say that they are somalis from bimaal hawiya that crossed the juba from the afmadow area up to their current place.

The borana only adopted islam quite recently in fact as early as the 1960 if i remember correctly non muslim borana were telling other boranas that islam is the somali religion and if you became muslim it means your becoming somali. The ajuran, garre, sakuye and the gabra were already muslim long before that. Interesting fact did you know that the sakuye say that they are somalis from bimaal hawiya that crossed the juba from the afmadow area up to their current place.
Why is this dude lying gabra and sakuyu weren’t even Muslims for 200 years they were pagans

Garaad diinle

 
Why is this dude lying gabra and sakuyu weren’t even Muslims for 200 years they were pagans
Ya Allah gave me patience wallahi you're being annoying at this point. Did i say they were muslims for millions of years? I said long before "1960" what is wrong with your readinig comprehension. Islam was spreading already by 1884 which is 139 years ago and by the 1930s gabra were all muslims but you know what let's talk about wither gabra were muslim 200 years ago or not. Oromo culture in places such as bale hararghe or the shewan highlands use to supress islam and the borana were no different.

kimto79.png

yJWq63X.png

Many muslims such as the garre and ajuran became pagan like in their day to day lives gabra included. They only became muslim when their somali brethren took them back into the fold of islam.

XfyJo1U.png

ImUH1y3.png

Gabra just like the ajuran and the garre seems to have in some of their culture aspects that are islamic in nature.

g9neNdp.png

If it wasn't for ethnic federalism, Oromos get fully assimilated. They aren't really an ethnic group
I think the the most apt term for Ilmo Oromo would be meta-ethnicity, like the Hispanics of the Americas and Chinese. A collective identity based on a shared language and some other aspects of culture.

Grimmer

Reer guri
Cant you read how they used to bully you guys garre were also bullied into doing business for them with the daroods and dirs
I get what you’re saying but the Garre who used to get bullied were the gabra. They used to be a subclan but got xoog’d by the borana. The Garre were actually merchants that help stimulate trade with the borana. The king and the cheif at some period were actually friends. You talk about bullying but the borana lived as far into almost bakool. Liiban used to be their land and they don’t even own that anymore. It’s 2023 live in the present, Garre took their land, they changed their religion, and are currently beating them up.

the guy was speaking like Oromos are like peas in a pod until I reminded him about the Tulama :heh:

are oromo doing what somalis do to each other? no. we have major problems, yes, but it is politics based, not clan based. our history with ethiopia is what makes it more complex, because some of us were conquerors and raised to high positions in ethiopia, not just the tuulama, and some were conquered. and some paid tribute without ever having the ethiopian state oppress them like other areas. etc..

They non Muslims what do you expect

do you think somali muslims shedding the blood of each other are not gonna be punished? for that? oh he's ogadeni and i'm isaaq, so we must fight? or, oh my clan once upon a time lost 100 camels to their clan, so we have beef ever since? or?
We already know non muslims fate in the after-life; there is no hope for them.
but there will be Muslims there too, may Allah save us from that:

Abu Bakrah reported: The Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, said, “If two Muslims confront each other with swords, both the killer and the killed will be in Hellfire.” It was said, “O Messenger of Allah, we understand for the killer, but why for the one killed?” The Prophet said, “Verily, he intended to kill his companion.

Source: Ṣaḥīḥ al-Bukhārī 6672, Ṣaḥīḥ Muslim 2888

Grade: Muttafaqun Alayhi (authenticity agreed upon) according to Al-Bukhari and Muslim

''Testimony to the prowess of the Oromos, and to some of their victories over Galawdewos Emperor of Abyssinia, is provided by Bermudes. He records that the monarch, after one battle with the Oromos, returned to his camp ''wearied and almost defeated, without having accomplished anything of value.'' Not long after this he reports that the Emperor had been ''defeated by the Gallas'' who had actually entered his camp, and ''slain men close to the royal tent, where there was none to oppose them.'' Galawdewos had been obliged to flee ''with great indignity.''
Shortly after this the Portuguese, then stationed in Dawaro, were informed by the monarch that the Gallas were going to attack them suddenly. Bermudes states that his compatriots were determined to destroy them ''in any possible way.'' This, he suggests, was scarcely surprising , for he claimed that the Portuguese, who were well armed with rifles, constituted the greatest single hindrance to any Oromo advance.
Describing his first sight of a force of Oromo soldiers he states that they were ''innumerable'', but ''did not come on with order like barbarians, but advanced collected in bodies, like squadrons.'' Galawdewos, he claims, was ''amazed'' to hear of their advance, and was so shocked that he ''did not regain command of himself for a long time.'' He later ''wept like a child,'' and said ''My sin s great that such evil has befallen me.'' The Emperor, concludes Bermudes, had by then lost three large tax paying provinces, Bali, Dawaro and Hadiya.''

[The Ethiopian Borderlands: Essays in Regional History from Ancient Times to the End of the 18th Century, pages 283-284]

convincation

Soomaali waa Hawiyah Iyo Hashiyah
VIP
If you mean the Gabra I read somewhere that the 5 tribes of Gabra each have different origins with 2 being Garre in origin, 1 being a collection of Oromo hunters and the last 2 being rendille. These clans were all brought together and called Gabra (slave in afaan boran) by the ruling Borans

This thread proves the IQ of our people. The Xabesha after being exhausted by the wars with Adal forged an empire with the Oromos. While we have been in a bitter war with them for 400 years.

Let the man celebrate his history in peace nacasyaal.

''Shortly after his coronation in 1855, Tewodros marched to Wollo and fought against three rival Oromo leaders, killing one, capturing the 2nd, and defeating the 3rd. For the next 10 years Tewodros marched several times in Wollo, devastating, burning, looting, and massacring the people. Violent terrorism characterized his campaigns in Wollo. And yet Tewodros was never be able to crush the resistance of the Muslim population in Wollo. The reasons for the tenacious Muslim resistance were:
Firstly, Tewodros's policy of indiscriminate devastation and destruction of the land and the deportation of some of the people; and secondly, his clearly anti-Muslim, and even anti-Oromo stance. The leaders of the rebellion perceived Tewodros' objectives and activities as being directed not only to destroying them as a ruling class, but also to undermining the social, economic and cultural foundation of the Muslim communities themselves.
Encouraged by European Protestant missionary support, intoxicated by his ravenous ambition to destory Islam and the Oromo power, and surprised by the tenacious Muslim resistance, Tewodros spent more than 10 years destroying Wollo, by which he too was destroyed. The Muslims of Wollo, united by danger and animated by Islam, resisted Tewodros bravely before he was overwhelmed by crisis and destroyed. Hence,
As far as his stated aim of forcing Muslim Oromos into either accepting Christianity or leaving his kingdom, he utterly failed. He, not they, gave in. It is not an exaggeration to say that Tewodros committed suicide in 1868, not only because he hated to fall into British hands as a captive king, but also because he was already virtually an Oromo prisoner in the mountain fortress of Magdala. Escape was well neigh impossible.''

[In the Shadow of Conquest: Islam in Colonial Northeast Africa
edited by Said S. Samatar, Page90]

Trending