Question for Minnesota Somalis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gibiin-Udug

Crowned Queen of Puntland. Supporter of PuntExit
My family may move to Minnesota soon, and I’d like to ask a few questions before I go.

I have never lived around a big Somali community other than the time I went to Hargeisa as a kid, so I have no real idea of how Somalis are.

1. How would people react to someone who is not a hijabie? I also like to wear “Western” clothing, so jeans and even shorts. Basically the opposite of regular Somali attire.

2. Do people make fun of your lack of Somali language fluency? I remember all the little kids in Somaliland would joke around about our lack of language skills lol.

2. Tips for dealing with the weather? I have no idea how to navigate through snow.

These are all serious questions, so please no derailing. Thanks.

@CaliSomali welcome to Minnesota.

People won't say anything to you, they mind their business. Even fobs are taught to not say anything, they might stare at you.

No, they do not make fun of your afsomali.

Layers, lots of layers. The winter is brutal, please don't be a typical Californian who thinks its cute to wear Uggs. Invest in scarfs, big scarfs that you can wrap your neck and chest under the jacket. Gloves, don't forget the gloves. Earmuffs are absolutely necessary whether you're a hijabie or not.

I’ve already talked about it a few times on this forum. I don’t think smoking weed or partying is a big deal, but I know my parents might say otherwise.
:browtf:
Good thing I live on campus at my university away from them.
:trumpsmirk:
So what kind of moves do you do at these parties?
giphy (15).gif
tenor (10).gif
giphy (14).gif
1. 2. Or 3.

World

VIP
I’ve already talked about it a few times on this forum. I don’t think smoking weed or partying is a big deal, but I know my parents might say otherwise.
:browtf:
Good thing I live on campus at my university away from them.
:trumpsmirk:
I’m confused

If u don’t live with your parents, but on campus, then why does it matter if your parents move to mn? Or are you going to drop out of university?

I’m confused

If u don’t live with your parents, but on campus, then why does it matter if your parents move to mn? Or are you going to drop out of university?
Qado casho qurac hoo
Hell naw. I go to parties with my girlfriends and we like to back it up on each other.
:ohhhdamn:
Now that I think about it, I’ve had more Latinas dance up on me than poor @CanIDimo ever will.
:leon::drakelaugh::dead:
Hell naw. I go to parties with my girlfriends and we like to back it up on each other.
:ohhhdamn:
Now that I think about it, I’ve had more Latinas dance up on me than poor @CanIDimo ever will.
:leon::drakelaugh::dead:
:farole::dabcasar::gaasdrink:

My family may move to Minnesota soon, and I’d like to ask a few questions before I go.

I have never lived around a big Somali community other than the time I went to Hargeisa as a kid, so I have no real idea of how Somalis are.

1. How would people react to someone who is not a hijabie? I also like to wear “Western” clothing, so jeans and even shorts. Basically the opposite of regular Somali attire.

2. Do people make fun of your lack of Somali language fluency? I remember all the little kids in Somaliland would joke around about our lack of language skills lol.

2. Tips for dealing with the weather? I have no idea how to navigate through snow.

You coulfvco summed all of that up by saying I'm dhaqan celis

Basra

LOVE is a product of Doqoniimo mixed with lust
Let Them Eat Cake
VIP

Good luck poor child

It
@CaliSomali welcome to Minnesota.

People won't say anything to you, they mind their business. Even fobs are taught to not say anything, they might stare at you.

No, they do not make fun of your afsomali.

Layers, lots of layers. The winter is brutal, please don't be a typical Californian who thinks its cute to wear Uggs. Invest in scarfs, big scarfs that you can wrap your neck and chest under the jacket. Gloves, don't forget the gloves. Earmuffs are absolutely necessary whether you're a hijabie or not.
Edina is too close go to Eden prairie or farther
Richfield is kinda good

Always Lit

Everybody lies, which ones are tolerable??
It’s cheaper than California and has way more Somalis. I think my parents are also afraid of how American my siblings and I act tbh. They don’t even know half the shit I do already right now.
:mjlol:
When are you guys moving?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts