Question for Minnesota Somalis

Status
Not open for further replies.
My family may move to Minnesota soon, and I’d like to ask a few questions before I go.

I have never lived around a big Somali community other than the time I went to Hargeisa as a kid, so I have no real idea of how Somalis are.

1. How would people react to someone who is not a hijabie? I also like to wear “Western” clothing, so jeans and even shorts. Basically the opposite of regular Somali attire.

2. Do people make fun of your lack of Somali language fluency? I remember all the little kids in Somaliland would joke around about our lack of language skills lol.

2. Tips for dealing with the weather? I have no idea how to navigate through snow.

These are all serious questions, so please no derailing. Thanks.

first I'd like to say welcome.

1. if you want people to gossip about you sure go ahead.

2. barely any teen in Minnesota speaks Somali. our habaryars uses broken english when they try to talk to us.

3. last time it snowed in minnesota was in 2014 so you should be good.

2. barely any teen in Minnesota speaks Somali. our habaryars uses broken english when they try to talk to us.

I knew people would gossip about a girl who doesn’t wear hijab. We’re the only Muslim community in America with such a strict dress-code.
:mjcry:
Would it only be gossipy habaryars who care about how I dress or would I also face some backlash from young people and Somali men for it?

I knew people would gossip about a girl who doesn’t wear hijab. We’re the only Muslim community in America with such a strict dress-code.
Would it only be gossipy habaryars who care about how I dress or would I also face some backlash from young people and Somali men for it?
I barely see non hijabs Somalis in the streets exception on snapchat. What city are you gonna lay down in I'd recommend edina.

What on earth..? Which minnesota have you been living in

World

VIP
I’m not from minnesota but I visited family in minneapolis and it’s not true that you would get scrutinised for not wearing hijab. A significant amount of younger Somalis there didn’t wear hijab(at least 30 %).

They usually take pictures of you and sent to each other on WhatsApp and say look at this !

I had this happen to me once back when I was chubby.. I was running with my shorts and a lady took a picture of me and started sending to everyone on WhatsApp until one of my habar yar sent it to me and she said "habaryar look at this showing off her big ass.".

I cried that night and entered a deep depression for a few months until I started to get my shit together and starting hitting the gym to lose my weight

It well went until another old lady took a picture of me bending in the gym and started sending them to everyone on WhatsApp again.

Cold as shit

They usually take pictures of you and sent to each other on WhatsApp and say look at this *****!

I had this happen to me once back when I was chubby.. I was running with my shorts and a lady took a picture of me and started sending to everyone on WhatsApp until one of my habar yar sent it to me and she said "habaryar look at this showing off her big ass.".

I cried that night and entered a deep depression for a few months until I started to get my shit together and starting hitting the gym to lose my weight

It well went until another old lady took a picture of me bending in the gym and started sending them to everyone on WhatsApp again.
Omg that sounds terrible! That sounds sadistic af I didn’t know there are people out there like that!
:gucciwhat:
I don’t wanna go to the mall and end up being photographed, sent around on WhatsApp, and called a d.hilo by people I don’t even know. Is it really like that?!
:jcoleno:

To answer your questions, you'll be fine wearing jeans but shorts and other overly revealing clothes will get you a bad rep and a lot of gossiping

Ignore @Lukaku after this guy said it hasnt snowed in four years, you know he is just trolling

I've never heard of people taking your picture because of your clothes

Omg that sounds terrible! That sounds sadistic af I didn’t know there are people out there like that!
:gucciwhat:
I don’t wanna go to the mall and end up being photographed, sent around on WhatsApp, and called a d.hilo by people I don’t even know. Is it really like that?!
:jcoleno:
One girl was Photoshoped with a naked body and it went around she had to move to away because of the incident

sigmund

JUSTICE FOR SHUKRI ABDI
VIP
Minnesota somalis behaving like the 1500s so what you cant show your hair without people scrutinizing you and random people taking pics of you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts