Lets Talk Science

Status
Not open for further replies.

Basra

LOVE is a product of Doqoniimo mixed with lust
Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
U must be really bored to be curious about the size of the moon and the sun. Seriously????

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
U must be really bored to be curious about the size of the moon and the sun. Seriously????

Don't you find it strange that it is fixed size object and yet appears bigger and smaller to us. I am sure u seen a super moon before where u look at it and just say 'wow that is massive' what's happening tonight and it also happens with the SUN, where it appears so much bigger then it's actual size. I don't believe in 'sixir' either so there needs to be a logical explanation why it's fluctuating sizes.

Basra to say the moon goes from this

48B8717000000578-5334261-image-a-47_1517399107609.jpg

To this

small_moon_by_pieter901-d3dzqyv.jpg

Surely someone will sooner or later say what the hell is going on!!! I thought it was a matter of distance the further away it is the smaller and the closer it is the bigger but that will cause problems on earth if the distance of the moon or sun isn't the same at all times. We will basically have oven like temperatures if the sun gets any closer distance wise. So I had to throw out that explanation of distances.

Someone was suggesting simple experiment to verify that the moon remains the same size by placing your head in between your legs and look at the moon that way when it is on the horizon and looked huge. Size will get smaller visually they said.

I haven't tried this myself. If I ever get a chance to do it, will mention the results.

Basra

Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
Well every time i look at the moon or sun, the size appears the same to me. I mean, seriously there are a lot of things i would rather focus....like the pimple on my face right now. Hope the size is not increasing.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
Well every time i look at the moon or sun, the size appears the same to me. I mean, seriously there are a lot of things i would rather focus....like the pimple on my face right now. Hope the size is not EVOLVING .

:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

Basra and Evolution :liberaltears:

Basra

Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
30s.....but i have always had pimples....my body hormones go wack at the drop of my blood pressure, that is anything can make grow a pimple. From missing my soap opera to missing my bus.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
How old are u Basra, are u still getting pimples?

@Basra a piece of advice, don't touch the pimple, it leaves a scar or discoloration like a bruise leaves a mark. Let it disappear on it's own. I never had pimples or acne except for a few and I hated it I remember, my life centred around it. Just make sure you exfoliate, I do twice or three times a week with good beads, I still do today actually!!!

Plus u need a separate facial washer something designed to deal with the grime of the cities, which everyone should be doing in-fact.

Great discussions guys, keep it up.

Although the discussion is mainly about material things in science, considering that physics and chemistry are considered as "hard sciences", and therefore the opposite of metaphysics, I often find the interplay between the two more interesting.
My comment is slightly out of topic and is more on the interplay I have mentioned above.
Man(and Woman) is rational in many things and irrational in many things as well. The colors of light we see in the visible spectrum has been well explained. In the case of the black object, it absorbs all the wavelengths of light, reflecting none. These are then converted into another form of energy, in this case heat. This is why on a hot summer day, if you wear a black shirt or black dress, you feel hotter, because the heat absorbed by the material is dissipated around it. Man, therefore, being a rational being, tends to wear white in hotter climes. The white material reflects the light and is therefore cooler to wear.

What therefore explains the black abaya that is worn by millions of women in the middle east, especially in light of the stifling heat ? (Excuse the pun).

The origins of the black abaya is obscure. Islam enjoins women to cover their bodies to protect their modesty. An abaya fits the description, but why a black abaya. There is no injunction in Islam concerning the color of the garment that should be used to protect the modesty of the women.

So why the black abaya. The men certainly appreciate the physics of the light spectrum wavelengths, and enjoy the cool white dishdasha or jalabiyyah, but what happened to the women, are they immune to hard science or even common sense? Not necessarily.

The answer unfortunately lies in one word: fashion.

The black abaya probably originated in Iraq and was adopted by bedouin women, because it was made from a material easily available to them: black goat hair. In time it spread to the Arabian Peninsula. However it's widespread use occurred when the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia adopted it as de rigueur for women.Like Wahhabism, with the support of oil money, the fashion spread like wildfire in the Muslim world. The widespread adoption of the black abaya is a recent phenomenon, a couple of decades old.

But because of the human tendency to believe what is now mainstream was always the norm, the wearing of a white or colored abaya often provokes religious indignation. A few years ago, the University of Damam in Saudi Arabia waged a vicious campaign to discourage colored abaya and advocated that all women should wear black, as this was considered modest, traditional and Islamic (all of which are not true as I have shown).

Black for women in the Arab world, is considered as non threatening, does not stand out and therefore does not attract the unwanted attention of males in the public domain, unlike say a white abaya. It therefore acquires a religious aspect that has no actual basis in Islam. It's a case where culture over rides both Islam and science.

In any case , in a contest between fashion and science, it doesn't matter how logical or practical the light spectrum or similar facts of physics are , there are no prizes for guessing which one will emerge as the winner.

Great discussions guys, keep it up.

Although the discussion is mainly about material things in science, considering that physics and chemistry are considered as "hard sciences", and therefore the opposite of metaphysics, I often find the interplay between the two more interesting.
My comment is slightly out of topic and is more on the interplay I have mentioned above.
Man(and Woman) is rational in many things and irrational in many things as well. The colors of light we see in the visible spectrum has been well explained. In the case of the black object, it absorbs all the wavelengths of light, reflecting none. These are then converted into another form of energy, in this case heat. This is why on a hot summer day, if you wear a black shirt or black dress, you feel hotter, because the heat absorbed by the material is dissipated around it. Man, therefore, being a rational being, tends to wear white in hotter climes. The white material reflects the light and is therefore cooler to wear.

What therefore explains the black abaya that is worn by millions of women in the middle east, especially in light of the stifling heat ? (Excuse the pun).

The origins of the black abaya is obscure. Islam enjoins women to cover their bodies to protect their modesty. An abaya fits the description, but why a black abaya. There is no injunction in Islam concerning the color of the garment that should be used to protect the modesty of the women.

So why the black abaya. The men certainly appreciate the physics of the light spectrum wavelengths, and enjoy the cool white dishdasha or jalabiyyah, but what happened to the women, are they immune to hard science or even common sense? Not necessarily.

The answer unfortunately lies in one word: fashion.

The black abaya probably originated in Iraq and was adopted by bedouin women, because it was made from a material easily available to them: black goat hair. In time it spread to the Arabian Peninsula. However it's widespread use occurred when the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia adopted it as de rigueur for women.Like Wahhabism, with the support of oil money, the fashion spread like wildfire in the Muslim world. The widespread adoption of the black abaya is a recent phenomenon, a couple of decades old.

But because of the human tendency to believe what is now mainstream was always the norm, the wearing of a white or colored abaya often provokes religious indignation. A few years ago, the University of Damam in Saudi Arabia waged a vicious campaign to discourage colored abaya and advocated that all women should wear black, as this was considered modest, traditional and Islamic (all of which are not true as I have shown).

Black for women in the Arab world, is considered as non threatening, does not stand out and therefore does not attract the unwanted attention of males in the public domain, unlike say a white abaya. It therefore acquires a religious aspect that has no actual basis in Islam. It's a case where culture over rides both Islam and science.

In any case , in a contest between fashion and science, it doesn't matter how logical or practical the light spectrum or similar facts of physics are , there are no prizes for guessing which one will emerge as the winner.

So, the gist of the wonderfully written post of yours is that Black Abaya is cultural with no Islamic injunction and modest clothing could be made out of any material? That makes sense.

Good point man. And welcome to the topic. I am a freewheeler in science and don't really care to restrict scientific subject, and at any time someone can introduce what interests them into a science topic like this. But Dr OSMAN is the author of this thread, he runs the ship.

What is your favorite subject in science? Since the advent of Quantum Mechanics, the lines between physics and chemistry were blurred. And biology uses both branches to explain living beings. The weight of a human can be explained in physics while his metabolism is left to Chemistry, all with in biology if I made sense. Even birds use Electromagnetism to fly back to their birth place, same with eels who follow earth's magnetic field to travel from Caribbean Islands to Europe.

Last edited:
Time is a fascinating subject.
On the issue of time, I think what fascinates most people is the issue of time travel. Einstein ' s theory of relativity allows for travelling forwards in time because time passes differently for people who are moving relative to one another. If for example you are moving at speeds close to the speed of light, then time slows down. It's is therefore theoretically possible that if you are in a spaceship that moves at these speeds, and you return to earth, you will find that you are much younger than the people you left behind. Time in essence slowed down for you but went on at its normal pace on earth. This is dramatised in the movie Interstellar(spoiler alert for those who haven't watched), where the hero, a physicist , travels into the future through a wormhole, and when he finally returns to earth after many adventures, he has hardly aged, but finds the young daughter he left on earth an old woman, on her deathbed.
Travelling back in time ,however, presents more problems, the most famous of which is the grandfather paradox. If you travelled back in time and accidentally killed your grandfather, then both you and your father would not have been born. It is therefore impossible to travel back in time to kill your grandfather because you would not exist in the first place.
Secondly, if travelling back in time was possible, we should have a ready seen travellers from the future in our own time.

Basra

Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
Weydamal

Well....i dont know about Science, but religiously speaking, in Quran and Hadith the Heaven Ascension of our beloved Prophet PBUH stated that by the Time he returned from his 7 Heaven odyssey, and tour guide to Jerusalem only to return, his bed was still warm from his laying down. Which means what exactly? Lay on your bed right now, and get up immediately. Place your hands on the bed and feel your laying warmth. So by the time the prophet PBUH returned from his adventure his bed was still warm. What does that mean? It means our earth time capsule is so slow, it is mind boggling. And it also means, God and the angels, and the heaven universe operate on a so fast a speed time zone that to human simple brain, it is incomprehensible.

So, the gist of the wonderfully written post of yours is that Black Abaya is cultural with no Islamic injunction and modest clothing could be made out of any material? That makes sense.

Good point man. And welcome to the topic. I am a freewheeler in science and don't really care to restrict scientific subject, and at any time someone can introduce what interests them into a science topic like this. But Dr OSMAN is the author of this thread, he runs the ship.

What is your favorite subject in science? Since the advent of Quantum Mechanics, the lines between physics and chemistry were blurred. And biology uses both branches to explain living beings. The weight of a human can be explained in physics while his metabolism is left to Chemistry, all with in biology if I made sense. Even birds use Electromagnetism to fly back to their birth place, same with eels who follow earth's magnetic field to travel from Caribbean Islands to Europe.

Weydamal

Well....i dont know about Science, but religiously speaking, in Quran and Hadith the Heaven Ascension of our beloved Prophet PBUH stated that by the Time he returned from his 7 Heaven odyssey, and tour guide to Jerusalem only to return, his bed was still warm from his laying down. Which means what exactly? Lay on your bed right now, and get up immediately. Place your hands on the bed and feel your laying warmth. So by the time the prophet PBUH returned from his adventure his bed was still warm. What does that mean? It means our earth time capsule is so slow, it is mind boggling. And it also means, God and the angels, and the heaven universe operate on a so fast a speed time zone that to human simple brain, it is incomprehensible.

Basra, we're you banned like me, or is this a self imposed exile?

Basra

Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
Weydamal

U just wanted an opportunity to use "eclectic' lol

Status
Not open for further replies.