Lets Talk Science

Status
Not open for further replies.
So your telling me the earth and moon would shine with no sun relying on it's own 'energy'? I am not sure I can honestly buy that!!! Light has a source, take away all the stars and there is no light!!!
This is true, unfortunently you forgot the basics of light formation.Light comes in different parts of spectrums most is unseen for example the thermal region or the UltraViolet region.Each produces light at different energy proportional to its frequency.So on the moon electrons move up and down orbitals and hence produce light.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
This is true, unfortunently you forgot the basics of light formation.Light comes in different parts of spectrums most is unseen for example the thermal region or the UltraViolet region.Each produces light at different energy proportional to its frequency.So on the moon electrons move up and down orbitals and hence produce light.

Good point, I am sitting in a dark room right now with the laptop light shining brightly. No sun or any other light source in sight. But can my laptop light and other light source like light bulbs shine up the whole planet? and is this electricity source from the sun itself, where is it's cause as we know everything that is physical has a cause!!! what's it's origin that will be interesting to hear!!!

By the way this light source on my laptop or the street lights or my bedroom light are clearly different in it's behavior then say the sun or a fire!!! I don't feel warmth under this light like street lights and light bulbs or my laptop light, so light has different forms, I assume!!!

Good point, I am sitting in a dark room right now with the laptop light shining brightly. No sun or any other light source in sight. But can my laptop light and other light source like light bulbs shine up the whole planet? and is this electricity source from the sun itself, where is it's cause as we know everything that is physical has a cause!!! what's it's origin that will be interesting to hear!!! By the way this light source on my laptop or the street lights or my bedroom light are clearly different in it's behavior then say the sun or a fire!!!
Sun is much more complicated subjected. It works on the premise of Einsteins famous equation of E=mc^2.
The sun basically transforms hydrogen into helium which leads to a burst of energy. This energy affects particles around it which manifests them to move hence causing electromagnetic waves which leads to light.If it's hard to understand why energy leads to movement think of a ball you drop from the roof , it has energy which makes it move downwards.Infact the Euler Langrange formula allows to model the universe in terms of energy and fluctuations of energy.

I'll answer one of your questions , the moon reflects the light from the sun onto the earth.Making it look like it is genersting electromagnetic waves. That said the moon does produce light just not in the visible spectrum.

Meaning of Visible Spectrum for the amateurs in physics required lol. So, when you say visible spectrum, it means what the eye can see as colour. According to the charts then, human eye can detect between 300 to 700 nm(Nano meter wave length).

Visible-Spectrum.png

Thanks for your contribution.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
Sun is much more complicated subjected. It works on the premise of Einsteins famous equation of E=mc^2.
The sun basically transforms hydrogen into helium which leads to a burst of energy. This energy affects particles around it which manifests them to move hence causing electromagnetic waves which leads to light.If it's hard to understand why energy leads to movement think of a ball you drop from the roof , it has energy which makes it move downwards.Infact the Euler Langrange formula allows to model the universe in terms of energy and fluctuations of energy.

But a ball is a mass and it's mass(it has a weight) and this will cause it to bounce or roll depending on how you handled it plus the environment will dictate what happens to a certain extent based on the 'cause' throwing the ball and the resulting 'action'. For example the terrain, up hill(it will roll back down), downhill it will roll forward, gravity(it will eventually come down and not go further up unless u got some rocket on the ball to counter gravity pull on the ball). Light has no mass, you can't weigh such a thing, you can measure it in terms of how small or big it gets but as in weight nope nothing!!! Your applying a rule that applies to mass towards something that has no mass!!!

I was blown off to learn back in the days that Color is based on perception and some people can see different colors than others can for the same wavelength. It is classified as defect. This condition is called color blind. They see color but not as majority of humans can see colors. John Dolton, the chemist was color blind and he didn't know at first. People used to comment on his color choices for dress not knowing the man could only see certain colors.

But a ball is a mass and it's mass(it has a weight) and this will cause it to bounce or roll depending on how you handled it plus the environment will dictate what happens to a certain extent based on the 'cause' throwing the ball and the resulting 'action'. For example the terrain, up hill(it will roll back down), downhill it will roll forward, gravity(it will eventually come down and not go further up unless u got some rocket on the ball to counter gravity pull on the ball). Light has no mass, you can't weigh such a thing, you can measure it in terms of how small or big it gets but as in weight nope nothing!!! Your applying a rule that applies to mass towards something that has no mass!!!
First I said electrons or charged particles move causing electromagnetic waves to form hence inducing light.The questions , especially when it comes to orbitals, have a lot of background knowledge which take some time to explain.However it can be ignored for now.

Secondly light does have relativistic mass due Einsteins energy equation:
E^2 = m^2c^4+p^2c^2
E= pc if rest mass is 0
E/c = p which is relativistic momentum in the form of light.Hence imagine this as dependant on relativistic mass

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
I was blown off to learn back in the days that Color is based on perception and some people can see different colors than others can for the same wavelength. It is classified as defect. This condition is called color blind. They see color but not as majority of humans can see colors. John Dolton, the chemist was color blind and he didn't know at first. People used to comment on his color choices for dress not knowing the man could only see certain colors.

So your saying their could be more colors out there and our eyes can't perceive it?

So your saying their could be more colors out there and our eyes can't perceive it?

Human eye can detect only certain colors. Color is a wavelength and what you see as color depends on that wavelength. There are many wavelengths but we can see/detect only certain ones called visible spectrum. That is where our limitations for light/color detection come from. Also, this understanding is what led to the invention of cameras that can detect other lights/colours the human eye can not see. Infrared cameras, night vision goggles, X-ray machines etc.

As wavelengths change, what your eyes can see/detect as color changes even for the same color.

Different Blues based on wavelength(I copied this picture from a website that promotes using blue light for disinfection in case you wonder at the bottom two comments below the arrows.) . Hope I addressed your question. Let me know if I didn't understand what you asked.

Last edited:

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
He's not "saying" it , it's proven that there are more colours out there.

You didn't sufficiently answer the moon question though. I can take my lamp right now and blast it onto the wall and according to your understanding the wall is generating light on it's own!!! you admitted the origin point of light is the sun and the complex processes it has to go through to become light such as hydrogen and helium. So if the sun isn't there any longer that process can no longer happen and therefore light should cease to exist in the universe with the disappearance of stars. As those electromagnetic waves will no longer be present in the universe and we can't transform that into light like street lights, laptop light, etc!!! Have we come to the same conclusion or not? cause n effect basically

You didn't sufficiently answer the moon question though. I can take my lamp right now and blast it onto the wall and according to your understanding the wall is generating light on it's own!!! you admitted the origin point of light is the sun and the complex processes it has to go through to become light such as hydrogen and helium. So if the sun isn't there any longer that process can no longer happen and therefore light should cease to exist in the universe with the disappearance of stars. As those electromagnetic waves will no longer be present in the universe and we can't transform that into light like street lights, laptop light, etc!!! Have we come to the same conclusion or not? cause n effect basically
Light exists as long as charged particles are moving. The intensity of light varies, nuclear fusion produces tonnes of energy stimulating more light, pulsars are even worse. Get rid of all stars the intensity might decreas but light will still be there.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
Human eye can detect only certain colors. Color is a wavelength and what you see as color depends on that wavelength. That is where our limitations for light/color detection come from. Also, this understanding is what led to the invention of cameras that can detect other lights/colours the human eye can not see. Infrared cameras, night vision goggles etc.

As wavelengths change, what your eyes can see/detect as color changes even for the same color.

Different Blues based on wavelength(I copied this picture from a website that promotes using blue light for disinfection in case you wonder at the bottom two comments below the arrows.) . Hope I addressed your question. Let me know if I didn't understand what you asked.

What's the maths behind that? do they just attach a a small number to the lightest shade of a certain color and work up towards the darkest shade of a certain color. How do they measure the difference in numbers between shades is it when it slightly changes they add a number to it? this would need some deep technological tools is my guess.

What's the maths behind that? do they just attach a a small number to the lightest shade of a certain color and work up towards the darkest shade of a certain color. How do they measure the difference in numbers between shades is it when it slightly changes they add a number to it? this would need some deep technological tools is my guess.

Bro, in my unsophisticated words, it is about measuring streams of waves of light photons(particles) and their frequency/wavelength. When you divide the white light through a prism into its component colors, each color is a different wavelength based on measurements. The difference between their wavelengths is what makes you see them differently as different colors. That is what you read on a spectrum of a visible and nonvisible light chart. The numbers like 400nm come from these measurements. It is a mathematical way of explaining what you can see with your own eyes. When you say something is blue, it is linguistic description of what you see in color, but in the mind of a physicist, there is also a meaning behind the word blue. Interesting how there is an explanation for most things in nature. Things were set up and discovering that is like solving a puzzle.

To fully understand this, revisit the definition of:

Wavelength
Frequency
Oscillation
Electromagnetic Radiation
Photon

I found a three minute video for you that will explain the Wavelength .. When you are done with this video, I will post another short one but more in depth about the spectrum and the numbers behind it. Cool subject.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
Since the moon is a big topic lately and it's turning blue. I have been wondering about the rotation and orbit questions. The sun and moon appear to be big and small have u noticed? sometimes it damn huge and sometimes it looks like it's further away in distance when you observe it. What can cause this?

Also in terms of the moon and it's light source, now I doubt the moon is a sun because if it was, at the distance it is to us, you would think it's light would make it day-time and there would be no night time. I guess you could work out the size of the moon and how much energy it can store and compare it to the impact it would have on the earth.

The current theory in my view, I haven't read it though, is the sun must being hitting it's light on the earth and since the earth is round and half the earth is in darkness, some light escapes and then reflects of the moon giving it that 'lamp' style lighting which is what someone on the other side of the world sees when it's night-time. Is this correct?

I have also noticed the moon is strange cause even when u see in day-time, it clearly has no energy source and looks like a normal planet, you see no 'light rays' coming out of it. Please remember light needs an energy source, look at a fire you need fire first (energy) for it to emit 'light or warmth'. So I can accept the sun must be a firey place in order for us to get 'warmth and light'. I won't accept that for the moon though based on the above characteristic I noted.

Now the other point I find interesting is, the sun distance to the earth apparently is fixed, it rarely moves and is the center of our solar system(heaps of planets are dependent on it), if this is the case and our earth is rotating on itself and it's axis, regardless what rotation the earth does, the distance of the sun should be the same at all rotation points unless of course that is just used to explain day/night, that won't answer any question about why the sun is huge at some points of the day and smaller and more distance away at other parts of the day.

The earth does it actually get closer to the sun in it's orbit? I was of the opinion the orbit of the earth around the sun was 'fixed' and followed the same pattern and path to an exact precision and it doesn't get closer or further away but is always revolving around the sun at the same distance. This can't explain why the sun looks massive and closer to us and further away at different parts of the day. We need to get the science boys and girls to come in and answer this anomaly!!!

PS: Don't get carried away flat earthers, I haven't joined your silly camp!!!! But as rational people do, we criticize our own views also and test it, unlike you nut-cases.

The two bold areas have not been answered by anyone, it's suprisng. Where are the science buffs these days. The other areas have been partially answered not fully answered, especially regarding if the moon emits it's own light or if it's sun's light that is reflecting on it's surface like the sun light reflects on our earth surface.

We won't into tangents about what light is made of, does it have weight, how many different colors can we see and the different forms of light like a street light vs the sun light which wasn't really the topic at hand.

Let's stay focused and crush the bolded questions

Basra

LOVE is a product of Doqoniimo mixed with lust
Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
I think maybe this world is robotic, I honestly do. I've seen humans do things and not realize why their doing it. Have u done something in terms of actions like automatically go grab a coffee when you really a glass of water accidently. There appears something is in control of us or else why do we do things in a robotic manner even if sometimes we don't know why we just did the action. I noticed the other day I went to get a glass of water but I went and picked up a spoon and I was like, why the hell did u just do that.

Aaaahh maybe your mind or thoughts is racing about something else? Are u stressed out? R u thinking too much? Zoning out? I have done that many times.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
Aaaahh maybe your mind or thoughts is racing about something else? Are u stressed out? R u thinking too much? Zoning out? I have done that many times.

Very stable today and for the past few weeks. I do have moments of racing thoughts though and it's a continous back n forth, analyzing, debunking, and re-analyzing my thoughts against whatever the topic that is going thru my head. It's a wonderful world in there and yes sometimes it does come out into the forum and can be clearly seen which isn't my intention obviously!!! :)

Basra

LOVE is a product of Doqoniimo mixed with lust
Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
Osman

that's ok. Take it easy huuno. God Loves you. :)

The two bold areas have not been answered by anyone, it's suprisng. Where are the science buffs these days. The other areas have been partially answered not fully answered, especially regarding if the moon emits it's own light or if it's sun's light that is reflecting on it's surface like the sun light reflects on our earth surface.

We won't into tangents about what light is made of, does it have weight, how many different colors can we see and the different forms of light like a street light vs the sun light which wasn't really the topic at hand.

Let's stay focused and crush the bolded questions

It is an illusion but both sun and moon remain the same size throughout their sky journey though they appear larger at horizons(sunset/sunrise). Check Ponzo Illusion for more in depth discussion of it.

It is an illusion.

I found below link best to describe this illusion. It has some graphics/pictures to explain what the illusion is.

https://www.quora.com/Why-does-the-Sun-appear-bigger-during-sunrise-and-sunset-than-at-noon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts